Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #34,531 of 62,013
I've had the Earin A-3's a couple days now.

IMG_20210620_130306.jpg
IMG_20210620_130316.jpg
IMG_20210620_130653.jpg
IMG_20210620_131148.jpg
IMG_20210620_133054.jpg

They sound a bit better than I recall the Sabbat X12 Pro (but maybe not better than the newer X12 Ultra). Unfortunately I cannot directly compare them as I modded both pairs of those.

The main contender for me though is the Samsung Buds Live, as both are an open, non-isolating TWS. I am using a non-Samsung Android source, so Apt-X on the A-3 but AAC on the Buds Live.

IMG_20210620_182933.jpg
IMG_20210620_182836.jpg

After listening to both (A/B, no EQ) I find the A-3 has a slight veil to the sound or a bit less resolution in comparison. I find bass to reach a little deeper, sound a hair cleaner and have slightly better impact from the Buds Live. The mids and highs similarly are a bit better overall. The slight difference due to the veil/lack of resolution makes the A-3 sound like something is missing or sucked out somewhere in the mids (for me).

That difference in the low end is probably why @erockg thought the Buds Live isolated better than the A-3. Similar to the effect of a properly sealing/fitting ear tip vs a borderline one. Or perhaps that is just due to his ear anatomy.

For me the A-3 actually covers or blocks more of my ear canal opening but I find the lack of isolation in general similar to the Buds Live. I took measurements of both with a digital caliper (length, height and thickness).

Earin A-3: 20.0mm x 17.1mm x 15.9mm
Buds Live: 27.4mm x 16.5mm x 14.9mm (14.7mm x 10.7mm)

The part of the Buds Live that covers the ear canal opening though is only 14.7mm tall and 10.7mm thick. Which is why they fit much better for me.

PhotoGrid_1624294737544.jpg

All that being said, they are not bad but not good enough for me to keep. Especially as they are not comfortable for me and my smaller ears.

I tried different positions and even earbud foams, it just doesn't quite work for me. The first way I tried has slightly less bass but is the least uncomfortable, the second is how Earin recommends wearing it but hotspots within 15-20 minutes for me and with the foams it's too large and won't drop into the concha like it should... even though it sounds the best that way.

PhotoGrid_1624294646399.jpg

The other problem with using foams is adding then removing them every time, as they block the charging contacts.

IMG_20210621_093403.jpg

One other negative (for me) worth a mention is that they will not change to the 'classic' control scheme available in their app. Even after updating the A-3's firmware (and resetting).
Wow, I must be a freak of nature. Those Earin A-3 swim in my ears. I tried everything to get them to feel snug but resorted to just letting them sit in my ear. Works better for me. Sadly, I haven't been a fan of any Samsung bud except the AKG N400s for sound. Sorry the Earin's didn't work out. Such a great price...

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #34,532 of 62,013
Has anyone got/tried both the Samsung Buds Live and Sabbat Vooplay by any chance?

I've got the Buds Live but they don't really fit me unfortunately. My concha's and ear canal openings are huge so I can't really wear them like they're supposed to be worn.

They slide pretty far into my ear canals and actually form a decent seal to the point where it's almost like a shallow insertion IEM. But they sound boomy and congested and are just not comfortable like that.

So I've been looking at the Vooplay as an alternative which look to have somewhat larger diameter and more circular bud part that might even accommodate a sponge cover or two if needs.

Can anyone advise whether they definitely fit differently from the Buds Live and whether they might work better for my large flappers? Thanks.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #34,533 of 62,013
Has anyone got/tried both the Samsung Buds Live and Sabbat Vooplay by any chance?

I've got the Buds Live but they don't really fit me unfortunately. My concha's and ear canal openings are huge so I can't really wear them like they're supposed to be worn.

They slide pretty far into my ear canals and actually form a decent seal to the point where it's almost like a shallow insertion IEM. But they sound boomy and congested and are just not comfortable like that.

So I've been looking at the Vooplay as an alternative which look to have somewhat larger diameter and more circular bud part that might even accommodate a sponge cover or two if needs.

Can anyone advise whether they definitely fit differently from the Buds Live and whether they might work better for my large flappers? Thanks.

Did you contact Samsung for their free sleeves? Might be a US only thing.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087422/

I have/had both predecessors of the Vooplay, the X12 Pro and X12 Ultra. The Ultra may work as well.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #34,534 of 62,013
Jun 21, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #34,535 of 62,013
Picked up these during the Prime sale https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08881P7NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Very good for the price now. After I purchased them, saw that Nura filed the FCC for their own TWS. This should be interesting.

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2ANIN-T0BBR/5262638
The TWS look really interesting. I like Nura's approach to tuning, so curious to see if you think the NuraLoop comes close to simulating the same thing. I have a feeling the over-ear portion of the Nuraphones is a big part of what makes it sound the way it does.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #34,536 of 62,013
This might be true in theory, but it isnt in pratice. A/B test it, I implore you!

I had my PI7 with my XS Max happily. Then by chance I tried them with an Aptx HD device, and immediately noticed something. Then some serious side by side testing ensued, I listened to literally the same 5s of audio on each, looking for painstaking details consciously.

Absolutely anyone will notice the difference, 100% certain. Its there and obvious. So obvious I switched to an android phone, which I can assure you, I really didn't want to do, but its a serious jump in SQ for the PI7

This is to the Xperia 1 ii btw, so I dont know if that phone has anything unique going for it, I doubt it. Should be obvious on all devices.
No, you are right, but that is because the iPhone is limited to either SBC or AAC (250 kbs), where AptX HD has a higher bitrate of 576 kbs. This is the point I was making on number 1 (except I was using LDAC as an example instead of AptX HD).

If it sounds good, stick with it! :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #34,537 of 62,013
Picked up these during the Prime sale https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08881P7NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Very good for the price now. After I purchased them, saw that Nura filed the FCC for their own TWS. This should be interesting.

Nice find! I am definitely trying these as I enjoyed the Nuraphone when I had it. If they can make a good sound with AptX HD or LDAC and Bluetooth 5.2 with a small case, they very well may have a solid contender. Battery is lacking though with 4 hours, but I am curious how they sound.

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #34,538 of 62,013
In some reviews said that the n10 pro and n10 plus have the same sound but the plus have better connectivity due to the bluetooth 5.2 and it cheaper, so I will try the n10 plus.
Haven't heard the N10 Plus so didn't comment on it. The price difference is a no brainer if they sound the same. They are using the same drivers.

Jun 21, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #34,540 of 62,013

I also bought these this morning. The price was just too good. I'm intrigued by the form factor -- It's a different than anything else I've had. I'm not sure if I would have bought them if they were just another pair of TWS.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #34,541 of 62,013

i have both, and i happen to use donut foams on them to beefy-up the sound a bit. it also add grip, but in term of fitting i think even without foam it still sit snug on my ears. here's a couple of picture comparison to help a bit

20210622_095715-02.jpeg

20210622_095733-01.jpeg

20210622_095827-01.jpeg

20210622_095908-01.jpeg

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #34,542 of 62,013
I also bought these this morning. The price was just too good. I'm intrigued by the form factor -- It's a different than anything else I've had. I'm not sure if I would have bought them if they were just another pair of TWS.
I’ve been using them all day. They really have a great battery life. Above average ANC. They sound amazing in my opinion for what they are. The only negative so far for me is that when I took them out of my ears while going for a walk and stored them in the case in my back pocket. They reconnected while walking because of the sensor. I’ll probably have to put them in manual mode to turn them off. Other than that, well worth the $89. Let me know what you think when you get them.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #34,543 of 62,013
Here's my EQ settings so far for TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94 (with ANC on) with the AirReps156X Android App. Really have to bring the mid-bass and lower mids way down to get rid of all that bleed. I would like to have brought up the upper treble a bit more, but there seems to be some hard limiter which prevents clipping but leaves a "huffing" artifact (same thing happens with Wavelet's preset), so your best bet is to turn the volume down rather than up.

Screenshot_20210621-180319_AirReps156X.jpg

TaoTronics 94: EQ works and can be saved, ANC settings not saved (default ON, transparency mode on when using single ear), Low Latency setting is remembered, find my earbuds works. Changing ANC mode from hybrid to feed forward changes the bass tuning considerably (thicker and more punchy but some of the mid-bleed returns)
SoundPeats T2: EQ function disabled, ANC and Low Latency settings not remembered, no Find My Earbuds option. I'm not noticing any change in sound quality when changing ANC mode (though the highs do sound less congested with ANC off).

Has anyone tried if this works on Earfun Free Pro or other Airoha earbuds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back