Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #34,486 of 62,112
I have had my for a few weeks now ....they sound superb with great ANC...happy birthday to you as well....
I also just received the Devialet Gemini after the Sony XM4 and I must say I really, really appreciate the sound. I haven't had any hiccups with the case or functionality, the ANC works, the sound is fantastic, calls are clear - my two main complaints at this time are:

1) Case size. This thing is ungainly, though well built.
2) Volume control on the buds - am I missing something?

I'm awaiting the JBL Tour Pro+ to compare, but as of right now the Devialet Gemini's are a keeper for me unless they are soundly unseated. :beyersmile:

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #34,487 of 62,112
After an aborted ownership of the MTW2 as the seller sent used ones rather than the new ones I expected, I'm creating a shortlist again which comprises of:

1. Bowers & Wilkins PI7
  2. Sony WF-1000XM4
  3. Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 Plus
  4. Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2
  5. Apple AirPods Pro
  6. Master & Dynamic MW08

The source is an iPhone running Neutron Music Player and TIDAL playing mostly CD-quality 16/44.1 lossless music with some Hi-Res 24/96 and some MQA tracks.

Of those, which should be at the top of the list for sound quality?

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #34,488 of 62,112
Thanks for all the birthday salutations. Spent several hours with the Devialet Gemini, find them very similar to the pi7 but a little bit louder and treble is probably a tad clearer on the pi7. Volume is quite low when using Samsung S20 ultra as source but a lot louder when using the Sony n55l (no eu volume limit). Pairing very simple unlike the pi7 that won’t connect to the Sony nw55l without going through the app on a phone. ANC seems good but I’m in my house so I shall test it when I go on the tube and train tomorrow. On a sidenote; the Gemini come with tips that seem too small for them, they do have a silicon filter (prob a bad wax guard) so I’m using Comply, although going to try Spinfits later today, whilst the pi7 come with some of the best standard included tips I’ve seen recently with two felt type filters in each tip (they work really well to tame the bass on the m&d mw08). Need to get a better source device so I’m considering the A&K alpha which I’ve seen reduced to £499.00 (always like the idea of a dap with 2 sd card slots).

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #34,489 of 62,112
After an aborted ownership of the MTW2 as the seller sent used ones rather than the new ones I expected, I'm creating a shortlist again which comprises of:

1. Bowers & Wilkins PI7
  2. Sony WF-1000XM4
  3. Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 Plus
  4. Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2
  5. Apple AirPods Pro
  6. Master & Dynamic MW08

The source is an iPhone running Neutron Music Player and TIDAL playing mostly CD-quality 16/44.1 lossless music with some Hi-Res 24/96 and some MQA tracks.

Of those, which should be at the top of the list for sound quality?
Be wary with the iPhone. I have an iPhone and an Xperia 1 ii, I also have the PI7. Ive extensively gone back and forth between the two testing side by side, the SQ on the Xperia is noticeably better. Like a big jump, enough to take me aback as before I did the testing I had no idea BT sources varied so much. I think you might be doing the PI7 and the XM4 a disservice using on an iPhone personally, or just be aware you're hearing them in a handicapped state. Bloody annoying too as im a bit of an iPhone fanboy otherwise.

Of those I've owned the MTW2, APP and MW07+ (MW08 kind of) and PI7. Pi7 sound the best by a good margin for me.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #34,493 of 62,112
Be wary with the iPhone. I have an iPhone and an Xperia 1 ii, I also have the PI7. Ive extensively gone back and forth between the two testing side by side, the SQ on the Xperia is noticeably better. Like a big jump, enough to take me aback as before I did the testing I had no idea BT sources varied so much. I think you might be doing the PI7 and the XM4 a disservice using on an iPhone personally, or just be aware you're hearing them in a handicapped state. Bloody annoying too as im a bit of an iPhone fanboy otherwise.

Of those I've owned the MTW2, APP and MW07+ (MW08 kind of) and PI7. Pi7 sound the best by a good margin for me.
Thank you for the advice! Indeed, I am hampered by using an iPhone as my main phone (although I do have an LG V30+ which can do LDAC but it's just a backup phone). I'm trying to get down to using just one phone. I use Neutron Music Player on iOS sounds which is very, very good and can do bit-perfect replay.

I have to stick with iPhone as I'm completely in the Apple ecosystem so it'll be Bluetooth AAC at best.

I'm going to see if there's any deals to be had on MW08 or PI7.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #34,494 of 62,112
I have only owned the Sony XM4 from your list, so I can't speak about sound quality for the others (although of course they all have fans here). But I really like the Melomania 1+ and think it gets overlooked on HF. It's on sale on Amazon (US and UK I believe) right now for $119, $20 off the price I paid. With the foam tips, I am just a fan of the form factor (not pretty, but build like a tank, and comfortable with the foam tips, my preference). While it seems unlikely a $119 BT in-ear could compete with all the TOTL BT phones you listed, as mentioned I had the new Sony and returned it. Sound was very good, but I just didn't think they were worth the asking price compared to the M1+ for a few reasons. One was fit, I kept having to mess with them to get them sealed (using the app, which does tell you if the seal is right or not). That's a pain to me, since I use these phones for moving around, not sitting in a chair.

On a related note, I noticed the CA Melomania Touch is no longer listed for sale on Amazon. I tried using the search and went to the CA Amazon Store; not there. It is still for sale on CA's US site. Weird. I read a few pages back that CA is about to offer another FW update for the Touch at month's end. I also have and find a great price to performance value re sound quality with the Touch. Excellent comfort too. Neither CA models offer ANC, but the M1+ with foam tips is all the NC I need.

By coincidence, I have an iPhone (8+ right now) and an LG V30, which I use as a DAP at home.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #34,495 of 62,112
I have only owned the Sony XM4 from your list, so I can't speak about sound quality for the others (although of course they all have fans here). But I really like the Melomania 1+ and think it gets overlooked on HF. It's on sale on Amazon (US and UK I believe) right now for $119, $20 off the price I paid. With the foam tips, I am just a fan of the form factor (not pretty, but build like a tank, and comfortable with the foam tips, my preference). While it seems unlikely a $119 BT in-ear could compete with all the TOTL BT phones you listed, as mentioned I had the new Sony and returned it. Sound was very good, but I just didn't think they were worth the asking price compared to the M1+ for a few reasons. One was fit, I kept having to mess with them to get them sealed (using the app, which does tell you if the seal is right or not). That's a pain to me, since I use these phones for moving around, not sitting in a chair.

On a related note, I noticed the CA Melomania Touch is no longer listed for sale on Amazon. I tried using the search and went to the CA Amazon Store; not there. It is still for sale on CA's US site. Weird. I read a few pages back that CA is about to offer another FW update for the Touch at month's end. I also have and find a great price to performance value re sound quality with the Touch. Excellent comfort too. Neither CA models offer ANC, but the M1+ with foam tips is all the NC I need.

By coincidence, I have an iPhone (8+ right now) and an LG V30, which I use as a DAP at home.
Valuable advice, thank you! I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow on one from my list. Incidentally, I use my V30 as a DAP too around the home and it's such a great device for things like that. Yeah, the Melomania 1+ seems outstanding for money but rarely gets talked about. I can see the discount on it at the moment and I'm hoping it lasts until tomorrow at least when I will buy whatever I end up deciding to buy!

I have plenty of (wired) headphones for listening at home (and on a plane). And, like you, I want a wireless system for when I'm active - like going on long walks.

I'll put the Meolmania 1+ high up on my list now. Do you have any experience of making WhatsApp or regular phone calls with the Melomania 1+? Several months ago I returned a pair of APP as the fit and music quality was good, but people could hardly hear me on calls. Now this might be down to the iPhone XS Max that I was using then, which seems to get a lot of search hits for poor BT headset call quality. I also got poor call quality using a Plantronics Voyager 5200 headset with my XS Max.

Anyway, many thanks for your input.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #34,496 of 62,112

I’m not saying you are not correct but I frankly don’t understand how this is possible. Apples AAC implementation is excellent. After that, the phone doesn’t really do much for a BT headset. The DAC and Amp are on the buds themselves. I ran the pI7 over an iPhone, a Pixel and an iPhone using the AptxHD adapter. Maybe it’s my old ears but I could not tell much difference and certainly wouldn’t declare the iPhone handicapped. I just don’t see what variances they phone offers in this chain other than some volume control.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #34,497 of 62,112
Why isn't there any threads for the Master and Dynamic MW08? I ordered a pair recently and having used them briefly, I'll be returning them.

My initial plan was to upgrade my WF-1000XM3 to the MX4 but because of the massive price hike I decided maybe I should explore other premium options. I did plan on trying the Pi7 but that short battery life was a deal breaker and next up for best sound quality was MW08 according to the reviews.

The sound quality of the MW08 is good but its too bright and didn't have the warmth or energy of the XM3. Then there is the ANC or lack of, you will be hard pressed to tell if its on or off, it's so subtle. All this is a shame as the earphones itself is great, love the physical buttons, size, build and fit.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #34,498 of 62,112
Why isn't there any threads for the Master and Dynamic MW08? I ordered a pair recently and having used them briefly, I'll be returning them.

My initial plan was to upgrade my WF-1000XM3 to the MX4 but because of the massive price hike I decided maybe I should explore other premium options. I did plan on trying the Pi7 but that short battery life was a deal breaker and next up for best sound quality was MW08 according to the reviews.

The sound quality of the MW08 is good but its too bright and didn't have the warmth or energy of the XM3. Then there is the ANC or lack of, you will be hard pressed to tell if its on or off, it's so subtle. All this is a shame as the earphones itself is great, love the physical buttons, size, build and fit.
I haven’t heard the mw08 described as bright. My set was muddy and overly warm. I wonder if something is wrong with your set.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #34,499 of 62,112

Not enough hype and interest, probably. A lot of us have found it easier to use one collective TWS thread instead of building individual ones.

And I might catch flak for this, but it really does seem like the TWS hype train runs similar to the Chi-Fi train when it was just leaving the station. I don't think dedicated threads for individual stuff would last as long.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #34,500 of 62,112
Not enough hype and interest, probably. A lot of us have found it easier to use one collective TWS thread instead of building individual ones.

And I might catch flak for this, but it really does seem like the TWS hype train runs similar to the Chi-Fi train when it was just leaving the station. I don't think dedicated threads for individual stuff would last as long.
Probably not except for flagship models from the big manufacturers. APP thread petered out. The pI7 and XM4 threads are pretty solid though. XM4 is like 40 pages strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back