Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #34,096 of 61,391
I think it's similar to the Galaxy Buds Pro fit. Actually put it in vertically, and rotate about 45 degrees-ish until it locks in, so the tip is much more shallow than expected.
I definitely think they're designed to fit shallower than I'm used to, but I can't go any shallower and get a seal, already using the large tips. They are clearly banking on the foam tips holding them in place.

The only wireless buds I own are the original Galaxy Buds which fit very snugly and I barely notice in my ears. I may pick up the Galaxy Buds Pro to compare before deciding what to keep, but people seem to have fit issues with those as well.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #34,098 of 61,391
Bluetooth adapter or transmitter? There was a fairly popular brand that just got yanked from Amazon that made a decent transmitter, but I'll do some digging and see what I can find. What codecs?

How close is something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLHRPDP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_Q3V9YKH290DT5GT5255Z

Oh and new shameless plug for a ridiculous album that I started adding into the demo queue. Extremely dynamic content and remains plenty fun while doing so. If you're not into prog, you'll probably want to skip this one:

Thanks! You are right. To play sound from a firestick hooked up to an HDTV, I will require a bluetooth transmitter and not an adapter. Not too concerned about codecs and as long as there is no delay or lip synch and can make out dialogue, I'll be more than satisfied.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #34,099 of 61,391
Well LDAC has most lag, you want aptX-LL (depends on distance) as you may get no lag with any codec (Nvidia Shield does LDAC/SBC) so no aptX for me (the 2019 version may do so though).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #34,100 of 61,391
Thanks! You are right. To play sound from a firestick hooked up to an HDTV, I will require a bluetooth transmitter and not an adapter. Not too concerned about codecs and as long as there is no delay or lip synch and can make out dialogue, I'll be more than satisfied.
The one I linked should work perfect, then. Price is decent. They have variants if you need support from different codecs. Looks like this one's aptX only (but includes LL)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #34,101 of 61,391
Same. I use third party tips on almost all my TWS as well. The only ones I use stock tips on are the JBL Reflect Flow (couldn't get a good seal for some reason and all the bass got sucked out). Usually use Spinfits CP100z or Final Audio Type E on TWS and Spinfit CP800s on my Shure IEMs.
Agreed. On both my wired and wireless IEM's I always use third party tips. Multiple pairs of Dunu wired IEMs. Both pairs of my Meze IEM's when I had the Pentas and now my Solos. My MTW2 I use third party tips.

I switched the Sony XM4 stock medium tips for the same tips I used on my Pentas and on my MTW2 last night and used them this morning, definitely less bass. I put the stock Sony XM4 medium tips back on and like the sound better. Just went for a long walk with the dog and the sound was really good. Maybe I'm getting brain burn in but I am more impressed with the sound today of the XM4 than last night, not like it was bad last night.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #34,102 of 61,391
Yes I know but many claim Vol 50% and SoundPeats claim Vol 60% and many do not have AAC support so will be SBC as aptX is little more hungry.

I know they want to make it look as good as possible but I find even at lower volume (overnight sleeping) I get nowhere near the claims and even the case cannot charge the buds X times as claimed, it is always short by at least 1/2 charge.
Yeah, the issue with short case battery life irritates me above how the earbuds themselves last. By using ANC and high volumes, I end up discharging the case much faster, yet the earbuds themselves often still show something like 80-90% after 3 hours of use. Galaxy Buds+, 1More ANC, TaoTronics 94 and SoundPeats T2 all have similar issues even if the buds themselves can last a long time (in the case of the Buds+ and T2). On the SoundPeats T2 with SBC and ANC on at 70% volume I got about 6 hours. Only the Earfun Free Pro has really impressed me with its case longevity (3-5 days with my usage).

I'm curious how long the XM4 case lasts with LDAC, and whether you can shut the case to power off the earbuds afterwards (this usually requires proximity sensors or for the case to retain some battery life as on Earfun Free Pro).

I am on DEV but AFAIK the new Win 10 May Update has it (I am not 100% sure) and you do not need any drivers/software to use it but you can see which codec is being used by running this:

https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/tweaker/

The down side is now I am stuck on AAC instead of SBC or aptX for some of my devices as Windows does have have any way for me to choose/force it.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/windows-10-update-to-bring-aac-bluetooth-support
Yeah I just got the May update and it doesn't have it. Seems like it's coming in the Sun Valley update but is currently only in Dev Channel. I tried installing the preview but it kept getting stuck. Also read some comments from testers of static popping and dropouts with AAC, though this may be down to other factors.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #34,103 of 61,391
You are able to use just the Left earbud with the Right earbud in the case with the XM4 if you turn off Google Assistant in the app.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #34,105 of 61,391
In regard to the XM4

The whole independent bud thing is not something I ever use so not a big deal for me but glad there is a way to use it for those that want that feature.

I have got comfortable giving up the features on the left bud of my XM3 so I have volume control. On the XM4 I might try using the voice commend "hey Google turn up the volume" to keep the default left functions available.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #34,107 of 61,391
What am to going to need sacrifice to get Vol on left?
You either sacrifice playback controls or you sacrifice toggling through ANC, Ambient or neither modes.

They really should have copied Sennheiser's implementation of the touch controls. It is the best out there, except not having better voice prompts to tell you what mode you are in. But as far as touch customization, Senn is tops.

I just keep the XM4 at top volume and adjust the volume from my phone. I need playback controls and the ANC/Ambient control far more than anything else.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #34,109 of 61,391
Can I still keep ANC on/off (I do not need AMB)?

You could not control it from the buds if you want volume control on one side and playback control on the other. But you can control ANC, you would just have to launch the Sony Headphones Connect App and turn ANC on or off there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back