Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #34,082 of 62,087
I just got the M&D mw08. I can understand why some say these are a muddy bass mess while some reviewers say these are the best tws earbuds that exists. The fit is very important. If they are jammed too tight in the ears, they give off very boomy and undefined bass. The stock tips are also quite thick, which adds to the boomy bass. I put on some some spinfit cp100 tips and the sound is very clear and balanced now. Breath taking sound quality.

ANVA87G.jpg

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #34,083 of 62,087
Spent the evening with the XM4, extremely happy with the purchase, no connection issues at all with iPhone. Sound is clearly a step up from XM3. Fit is excellent on me, almost as good as the Melomania touch (which I still rank as the best fitting tws out there).

Things got interesting when I switched to LDAC on the Astell and kern kann alpha. I’m not kidding when I say this but it’s very much in the vein of the z1r I have too. Obviously not as polished and lacking the soundstage and impact of the bass but cut from the same cloth clearly. I will take that as a portable solution!

ANC is top notch, blocked out traffic noise and people talking outside apartment.

Really dig the design and packaging, it looks small in all the photos and videos we have all seen but it is so dinky when you see it in person!

I can say hand on heart, this is the one for me for portable wireless use. No longer need to look around and waste money.
I like mine as well. Bought with the expectation of sending back, but they have done a really good job with these in a whole. Couple additional things I like outside of the sound is the footprint of the case and the fact is has wireless charging and the lid "hitch" that keeps it open when taking the buds out or putting in. I hate when the lids flop open and close while trying to use the cases. I am probably one of the few here who don't like foam tips generally, so I am not a huge fan of the tips on them, but I can work with that. Lot of features and controls in the app too, which is pretty nice.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #34,084 of 62,087
When I end up pulling the trigger on the XM4 (note I didn't say if... :wink:) I will happily swap to the Sony Hybrid tips if the foams bug me :xf_cool:. The reviews do look promising, but aside from winning the lottery, at $399CAD I will be waiting for these to go on sale... Or maybe pick up an open box at a discount at some point...

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #34,085 of 62,087
This also another review showing a gap between the earpiece and the inner ear:

if we assume that the reviewer did wear it "right" for him, than for some people (depending how their ear canal goes) would ended up with that kind of fit, which is a bit floating.
Honestly I kinda wish mine fit like that, then maybe they wouldn't hurt my ears. It's the upper part of the housing pressing on the outer parts of my ear that hurt. We shall see if my ears acclimate. I've had IEMs that hurt initially only to end up being very comfy.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #34,086 of 62,087
I just got the M&D mw08. I can understand why some say these are a muddy bass mess while some reviewers say these are the best tws earbuds that exists. The fit is very important. If they are jammed too tight in the ears, they give off very boomy and undefined bass. The stock tips are also quite thick, which adds to the boomy bass. I put on some some spinfit cp100 tips and the sound is very clear and balanced now. Breath taking sound quality.
M&D make a mean pair of tws that's for sure. Wish they were the same caliber for over ears.

Also their design is cool

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #34,087 of 62,087
Honestly I kinda wish mine fit like that, then maybe they wouldn't hurt my ears. It's the upper part of the housing pressing on the outer parts of my ear that hurt. We shall see if my ears acclimate. I've had IEMs that hurt initially only to end up being very comfy.
I think it's similar to the Galaxy Buds Pro fit. Actually put it in vertically, and rotate about 45 degrees-ish until it locks in, so the tip is much more shallow than expected.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #34,089 of 62,087
Good to know as SpinFits are too thin so no good for passive NC but good seal and sound.

I have Sendna also, Standard (black) Comfort (white) and Xelastec and the same again for all 3 in the short TWS versions so 6 variants.

I need at least 14mm in eartips so many L do not fit, some so called rare XL's also do not fit but SoundPeats XP do as 14mm so did SoundCores largest size (the two tone red one).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #34,090 of 62,087
So thankfully, the earbud hole for the XM4's case is large enough to support other eartips. I'm testing some Sedna Xelastec. Immediately noticed I'm able to get an easier seal just due to the stickiness of the Sedna tips.
Yep. I tried my favorite silicone tips that struggled to go in some other cases and they fit fine. I'll have to update my impressions as they do change the sound.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #34,091 of 62,087
Hum, so the hunt for tips that work has started... is it going to be another fail from Sony when it comes to tips/fit/comfort ?! Why can't they ship tips that work ?! In my experience it's rare that third party tips work better than the original ones even if they can feel/sound better at first.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #34,092 of 62,087
Well, I'm an idiot. Right after I posted this, I looked down and noticed there's an option for "[Ambient Sound Control] Operation Setting" that allows you to add in the ANC Off option.
It took me a few to discover this too. I was like this is crazy, I either have to have ANC on or ambient mode on but not neither? The off setting should be on by default 🤷

I do like the voice prompt the earbuds give you as you change the mode. It's perfect.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #34,093 of 62,087
Hum, so the hunt for tips that work has started... is it going to be another fail from Sony when it comes to tips/fit/comfort ?! Why can't they ship tips that work ?! In my experience it's rare that third party tips work better than the original ones even if they can feel/sound better at first.
The foam tips are just fine, honestly. The Sedna tips I have didn't really change the sound for me. Like helmutcheese, my earholes are larger than most people's, and so having larger tips would work better for us anyway.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #34,094 of 62,087

i have a rather different experience, almost all of my TWS and IEMs, i rarely settled with the stock tips and mostly ended up using third party ones, be it because of better fit, better sound, or combination of both.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #34,095 of 62,087
i have a rather different experience, almost all of my TWS and IEMs, i rarely settled with the stock tips and mostly ended up using third party ones, be it because of better fit, better sound, or combination of both.
Same. I use third party tips on almost all my TWS as well. The only ones I use stock tips on are the JBL Reflect Flow (couldn't get a good seal for some reason and all the bass got sucked out). Usually use Spinfits CP100z or Final Audio Type E on TWS and Spinfit CP800s on my Shure IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back