Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 9, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #34,066 of 62,008
I am fairly confident that he is not using the correct size tips. I took a flyer on them and got them tonight. They sure don't fit like that on me.
wow, how I wish I could 'take a flyer' ... my best options right now is mid August maybe ... or someone imports and sells for double price 'first adopter fee' :D

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #34,067 of 62,008
This also another review showing a gap between the earpiece and the inner ear:
gsmarena_009.jpg

if we assume that the reviewer did wear it "right" for him, than for some people (depending how their ear canal goes) would ended up with that kind of fit, which is a bit floating.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #34,068 of 62,008
Does the xm4 allow single bud usage with either of the buds? If you turn off the ANC, put it in the case and take them out, does ANC turn on by default, or it remembers its last state and remains off? These are deal breakers for me. Thanks.
Can anyone who already has the xm4 let me know? The absence of these features are deal breakers for me. It's a toss up between the xm4 and the mw08. The mw08 has every features I want, just gotta audition it.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #34,069 of 62,008
This also another review showing a gap between the earpiece and the inner ear:
gsmarena_009.jpg

if we assume that the reviewer did wear it "right" for him, than for some people (depending how their ear canal goes) would ended up with that kind of fit, which is a bit floating.
I'd venture a guess that a lot of these folks don't think about proper fitment. They just want something they can shove into their earholes and go. Usually, it's an indicator that the tip they're using is too large.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #34,070 of 62,008
I'd venture a guess that a lot of these folks don't think about proper fitment. They just want something they can shove into their earholes and go. Usually, it's an indicator that the tip they're using is too large.
Took me quite a while to learn through ample practice how to properly fit any kind of IEM ... wife still does not get it and it makes it really tricky to find good eartips for her

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #34,071 of 62,008
Can anyone who already has the xm4 let me know? The absence of these features are deal breakers for me. It's a toss up between the xm4 and the mw08. The mw08 has every features I want, just gotta audition it.
Only the right earbud can be independent. However the noise canceling state carries over as far as I can tell.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #34,073 of 62,008

that is the other scenario, especially because it uses foam tips, which have more steps to use (squeezing it first before insertion) compared to silicone.

Took me quite a while to learn through ample practice how to properly fit any kind of IEM ... wife still does not get it and it makes it really tricky to find good eartips for her

i still have anxiety everytime i look at my wife using earphones... sometimes she would use it in a loose way that i fear that it would fall off:sweat_smile:

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #34,074 of 62,008
Only the right earbud can be independent. However the noise canceling state carries over as far as I can tell.
Looks like right bud only as independent is the same as the xm3.

I just can't remember if Sony made it so the xm3 didn't turn on ANC by default. I recall testing that, but I don't remember the specifics now

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #34,075 of 62,008
Spent the evening with the XM4, extremely happy with the purchase, no connection issues at all with iPhone. Sound is clearly a step up from XM3. Fit is excellent on me, almost as good as the Melomania touch (which I still rank as the best fitting tws out there).

Things got interesting when I switched to LDAC on the Astell and kern kann alpha. I’m not kidding when I say this but it’s very much in the vein of the z1r I have too. Obviously not as polished and lacking the soundstage and impact of the bass but cut from the same cloth clearly. I will take that as a portable solution!

ANC is top notch, blocked out traffic noise and people talking outside apartment.

Really dig the design and packaging, it looks small in all the photos and videos we have all seen but it is so dinky when you see it in person!

I can say hand on heart, this is the one for me for portable wireless use. No longer need to look around and waste money.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #34,076 of 62,008
That's how I've been listening to them mostly. I don't need ANC as often as I need it. When I do need it I want it to be very good, but I'm gonna run LDAC with no ANC most of the time. I'll do a test at some point see how long it takes for them to lose 20% power with LDAC and no ANC listening to Tidal HiFi
Talking of turning off ANC, is ANC OFF in the button tapping cycle with ANC/Ambient ? I think I saw somewhere that the cycle was ANC/Ambient/Mute, but maybe that was wrong or it can be changed. On the Echo Buds it can't, but you can use the "Turn off noise reduction" Alexa command or do it in the app.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #34,077 of 62,008
Talking of turning off ANC, is ANC OFF in the button tapping cycle with ANC/Ambient ? I think I saw somewhere that the cycle was ANC/Ambient/Mute, but maybe that was wrong or it can be changed. On the Echo Buds it can't, but you can use the "Turn off noise reduction" Alexa command or do it in the app.
You have to manually turn off ANC in the app, the button only does ANC/Ambient. But I triple checked, if you have it turned off when putting it back in the case, and then take the buds back out the ANC remains turned off. I do not know if you don't have the app or connect to a PC though.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #34,078 of 62,008
You have to manually turn off ANC in the app, the button only does ANC/Ambient. But I triple checked, if you have it turned off when putting it back in the case, and then take the buds back out the ANC remains turned off. I do not know if you don't have the app or connect to a PC though.
Well, I'm an idiot. Right after I posted this, I looked down and noticed there's an option for "[Ambient Sound Control] Operation Setting" that allows you to add in the ANC Off option.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #34,079 of 62,008

According to this video, they work independently. Timestamped for you convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back