Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #34,021 of 62,127
I am starting to get a bit worried about the fit of the XM4 … this German dude had them for a week, and this is the best fit he found?
D32B492F-7740-4CC1-A162-E4C2A9958651.jpeg

Yeah that's bad, it's the sort of fit I got with the SiFi I, MPOW M5 or the Panasonics, unless you have small ears that form factor really doesn't work as there is nothing to hold the buds in place. Not sure what manufacturers are thinking as the Echo Buds 2 are similar. Make them larger but less deep !

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #34,022 of 62,127
So I have the XM4's and I've listen them for about 20 minutes to make some first impressions:

First thing, YMMV, but they fit MUCH better than the XM3's. They are not the most comfortable TWS I've ever wore (Damn you MT. Damn you all to hell), but they are more secure and I can get a better seal with the foam tips more consistently. For my admittedly large ear holes, they sit flatter than the XM3, and I would say they actually are in my ear a tiny bit shallower than the XM3. However, they are still rather large, they're no Galaxy Buds Pro.

The case is a little more than half the height of the XM3 case, about 25% less long, and very slightly less wide. The case opening is pretty loose, but open it far enough, and it clicks and locks open. Much more portable.

So the bad news first: If you use the app to get the optimal "wearing condition" to get the best seal to have the most efficient ANC, these things are bass monsters. Also, the mids are weirdly tuned out of the box, and the treble roll off is considerable. They are very dark, very much the Sony house sound.

However, the EQ does work pretty well. It's not the most granular I've ever seen, but it does make a difference. This is the settings I'm currently using based on the measurements that SoundGuys posted on their review to try and even out some of the peaks and valleys.:

It tames the booming bass quite well, and makes it sound much less darker than before. I'm still tweaking things as I hear more. Again, your YMMV dependent on your listening preferences.

Overall, the tech and form factors are so much better than the XM3. Sound wise, due to the improved fit, I actually like them even if I have to tweak the EQ to tame the bass.

Edit: Also a tip for those that are getting it: Update your sony headphone app. The fast pairing didn't work for me at first, until I updated the app.

Edit 2: I ended up boosting the 6.3k and 16k to +2 and +3 respectively. But I think for me, it's the 6.3k is the one I'm going to be tweaking the most, it's the one that is sounding "off" for me dependent on what music I'm listening to. Haven't figure the best level for me yet.
Are EQ settings saved onto the earbuds so that I can use them across multiple platforms, or does it just work for the earbuds?

Any info about the SBC bitpool? You're still stuck with SBC on Windows 10 so it better be 52-53...

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #34,026 of 62,127
One of the videos, I've heard it's 10% smaller? That 90% had to be shifted in other ways so that it doesn't point out like before, but it looks a bit bulky still. Also, that might be a small head though. lol

The more reviews I'm seeing, I'm less and less thrilled with the ergonomics. I get a feeling it will pop out while jobbing.

monster...indeed...recruiters...sweating...can't miss a beat when i upload my resume. haha. sorry.

Shame so far on the sony's. Still dont need another pair of TWS, yet i want one.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #34,027 of 62,127
So I have the XM4's and I've listen them for about 20 minutes to make some first impressions:

First thing, YMMV, but they fit MUCH better than the XM3's. They are not the most comfortable TWS I've ever wore (Damn you MT. Damn you all to hell), but they are more secure and I can get a better seal with the foam tips more consistently. For my admittedly large ear holes, they sit flatter than the XM3, and I would say they actually are in my ear a tiny bit shallower than the XM3. However, they are still rather large, they're no Galaxy Buds Pro.

The case is a little more than half the height of the XM3 case, about 25% less long, and very slightly less wide. The case opening is pretty loose, but open it far enough, and it clicks and locks open. Much more portable.

IMG_20210608_213353.jpg

So the bad news first: If you use the app to get the optimal "wearing condition" to get the best seal to have the most efficient ANC, these things are bass monsters. Also, the mids are weirdly tuned out of the box, and the treble roll off is considerable. They are very dark, very much the Sony house sound.

However, the EQ does work pretty well. It's not the most granular I've ever seen, but it does make a difference. This is the settings I'm currently using based on the measurements that SoundGuys posted on their review to try and even out some of the peaks and valleys.:

Screenshot_20210608-211601.jpg

It tames the booming bass quite well, and makes it sound much less darker than before. I'm still tweaking things as I hear more. Again, your YMMV dependent on your listening preferences.

Overall, the tech and form factors are so much better than the XM3. Sound wise, due to the improved fit, I actually like them even if I have to tweak the EQ to tame the bass.

Edit: Also a tip for those that are getting it: Update your sony headphone app. The fast pairing didn't work for me at first, until I updated the app.

Edit 2: I ended up boosting the 6.3k and 16k to +2 and +3 respectively. But I think for me, it's the 6.3k is the one I'm going to be tweaking the most, it's the one that is sounding "off" for me dependent on what music I'm listening to. Haven't figure the best level for me yet.
Tame the bass? Don't like the sound of that. I hope they didn't tunr it like the full-sized bass. I wouldn't be surprised if they did as the audience is mainstream.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #34,029 of 62,127
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #34,031 of 62,127
"LDAC has a detrimental impact on that otherwise exceptional battery life, too. If you’ve got noise cancellation active and are streaming LDAC, it drops to the typical five hours of continuous playback."

Just what I suspectd, even tho 5 hours isn't that awful, but it still a noticeable hit compared to 8-12 with AAC.

https://www.theverge.com/22523584/sony-wf-1000xm4-wireless-earbuds-headphones-review
Shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody that LDAC would result in a pretty significant battery hit. 5 hours with ANC/LDAC on, though, is pretty impressive. Wouldn't scoff at that.
Ah so promote their LDAC but battery claims are using AAC.
You'll find that's pretty standard for a lot of companies. Their battery estimates will be performed with really weird criteria, like:
  • Volume at 10%
  • Streaming over SBC (or AAC)
  • While only playing the Macarena
  • Moon is a waxing crescent
  • The Magic 8-Ball has been broken out and many questions asked

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #34,032 of 62,127
Yes I know but many claim Vol 50% and SoundPeats claim Vol 60% and many do not have AAC support so will be SBC as aptX is little more hungry.

I know they want to make it look as good as possible but I find even at lower volume (overnight sleeping) I get nowhere near the claims and even the case cannot charge the buds X times as claimed, it is always short by at least 1/2 charge.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #34,033 of 62,127
Shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody that LDAC would result in a pretty significant battery hit. 5 hours with ANC/LDAC on, though, is pretty impressive. Wouldn't scoff at that.

You'll find that's pretty standard for a lot of companies. Their battery estimates will be performed with really weird criteria, like:
  • Volume at 10%
  • Streaming over SBC (or AAC)
  • While only playing the Macarena
  • Moon is a waxing crescent
  • The Magic 8-Ball has been broken out and many questions asked
This is just the most extreme case I've seen. Sure most companies doesn't promote the battery life as 100% accurate in real life use.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #34,035 of 62,127
Will mostly listen to the XM4 via iPhone but look forward to trying them out with the Kann Alpha dap which supports LDAC so can give a real world test of battery life with ldac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back