Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #34,006 of 62,114
Guess that's a pass, then. Darn...it had promise.

That's why I tried to follow all those suggestions you mentioned on attempt #2, but I overcompensated. Third attempt went great, thankfully. You really can tell once you've got a good seal on a pair that fits properly (ha). Very similar to doing the Ety shuffle (am I deep enough...nope too deep... where's the bass?)

Oh and looks like someone already reviewed the WH2:
body.jpg

https://headfonics.com/hiby-wh2-review/

Tips look uncannily like the ones that ship with the M5. Way more comfy and tend to stay in my ears better than the ones that come with the WH3. Don't know if I'm a fan of the overall depth, though. Seems like a pretty shallow fit.

Guess I'm in for a 2-BA set. I'll probably join the campaign when it goes live. I'll have to pull that $160 out of somewhere...
WH2: Wow nice…yes, their product naming system is kind of idiotic. I checked Kickstarter and I’m not seeing anything for the WH2

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #34,007 of 62,114
Does ANC ever work with wind noise? These are definitely overpriced at $200. Jaybird can get away with this because of their dedicated fitness crowd following. Otherwise these would be DOA at that price. Too bad, they look solid for hard exercising but they need to be 150.
Though didn't I see something in a pic saying "Wind Defense" or some such and it was said the ANC and also transparency needed to be shut off so makes it seem pretty bad if they feel those modes become unusable. It is early though and seems three mentions of it. 3 mentions that it is an issue so quick is not a good sign and certainly something people interested should keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #34,008 of 62,114
WH2: Wow nice…yes, their product naming system is kind of idiotic. I checked Kickstarter and I’m not seeing anything for the WH2
Campaign isn't live yet. Haven't seen any info on when it starts, but I'll mention something here if I see it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #34,010 of 62,114
Price came in nice. Form factor looks solid as well. Definitely worth a look.
Agreed. I'd have been upset if they were asking more for either variant, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm curious to see if there's going to be any early bird discounting on this one, but I'm in for a 2-BA just to compare them against the WH3.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #34,011 of 62,114
Agreed. I'd have been upset if they were asking more for either variant, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm curious to see if there's going to be any early bird discounting on this one, but I'm in for a 2-BA just to compare them against the WH3.
The review mentioned some perks will be offered so hopefully we can save a few bucks.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #34,012 of 62,114
Hmm, xm4 seem to stick out pretty far.. That's one of the reasons why I returned the AZ70 after trying it for 2 weeks.

sony-wf-1000xm4-review-in-use-1200x675.webp

I'm waiting for a direct comparison of size and un-EQd freq curve of the XM4 to the XM3.. i haven't seen a picture of the same person wearing them both as a comparison.

with Sony hybrid tips i can wear the XM3 almost flush, hugging the face like airpods pro. I'm worried this XM4 will not be as flush

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #34,013 of 62,114
So I have the XM4's and I've listen them for about 20 minutes to make some first impressions:

First thing, YMMV, but they fit MUCH better than the XM3's. They are not the most comfortable TWS I've ever wore (Damn you MT. Damn you all to hell), but they are more secure and I can get a better seal with the foam tips more consistently. For my admittedly large ear holes, they sit flatter than the XM3, and I would say they actually are in my ear a tiny bit shallower than the XM3. However, they are still rather large, they're no Galaxy Buds Pro.

The case is a little more than half the height of the XM3 case, about 25% less long, and very slightly less wide. The case opening is pretty loose, but open it far enough, and it clicks and locks open. Much more portable.

IMG_20210608_213353.jpg

So the bad news first: If you use the app to get the optimal "wearing condition" to get the best seal to have the most efficient ANC, these things are bass monsters. Also, the mids are weirdly tuned out of the box, and the treble roll off is considerable. They are very dark, very much the Sony house sound.

However, the EQ does work pretty well. It's not the most granular I've ever seen, but it does make a difference. This is the settings I'm currently using based on the measurements that SoundGuys posted on their review to try and even out some of the peaks and valleys.:

Screenshot_20210608-211601.jpg

It tames the booming bass quite well, and makes it sound much less darker than before. I'm still tweaking things as I hear more. Again, your YMMV dependent on your listening preferences.

Overall, the tech and form factors are so much better than the XM3. Sound wise, due to the improved fit, I actually like them even if I have to tweak the EQ to tame the bass.

Edit: Also a tip for those that are getting it: Update your sony headphone app. The fast pairing didn't work for me at first, until I updated the app.

Edit 2: I ended up boosting the 6.3k and 16k to +2 and +3 respectively. But I think for me, it's the 6.3k is the one I'm going to be tweaking the most, it's the one that is sounding "off" for me dependent on what music I'm listening to. Haven't figure the best level for me yet.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #34,015 of 62,114
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #34,017 of 62,114
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #34,020 of 62,114
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can only get the right bud to work independently.
Their chip might be limited in that perspective then. Independent pairing should be the norm nowadays imo - that and multipoint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back