Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #33,918 of 62,008
So foam tips only, hum...hope they're stronger than your average Comply tips ! Also I hope it's not a "fix" for poor fit like the XM3s that required Complys to stay put. Of course that's not the type of IRL experience you'd expect a journo from The Verge to even think of looking into.
I know the tips on the XM3 were pretty high quality, and lasted longer than comply tips as the foam was much more dense with a coating.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #33,920 of 62,008
Amazon UK just listed price of £250 (it was out of stock before), says 11th June.

Amazon US is $275 but price disappears as you load them.

Will see more reviews, real feedback and you never know Prime Day is soon and may not all be crap in deals like recent years.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #33,925 of 62,008
I know the tips on the XM3 were pretty high quality, and lasted longer than comply tips as the foam was much more dense with a coating.
They were not grippy at all so I would have never found out if they were actually durable or not :wink: In any case the new ones are very different and look similar to Complys.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #33,928 of 62,008
I just purchased the XM3 on Sunday and have purchased the XM4 today. I still see stock available on Amazon here in the US. I should have the XM4 by Thursday.

It's funny I started seriously looking at True wireless when my gym headphones broke (5+ year old pair of Jaybird Freedom Sprint that served me very well). The Jaybird's were certainly not the last word in sound quality...far from it. But they were extremely reliable and durable.

My main wired rig for the past two years is a set of FIIO FH5 with either an LG V30 or G7. I know some people will laugh at this, but that rig was, for lack of a better term, my end-game in terms of headphones. I do most of my listening in my living room on my 2 channel setup these days.

I do have a pair of Jabra 65t that I use for Teams calls, podcasts, audiobooks, I don't use it much for music (although it certainly isn't bad for music).

When I started my quest for new gym headphones I do what I unfortunately always do. Start looking at cheap budget stuff and then make the mistake of reading HeadFi or Reddit and before I know it I'm considering the top tier models.:sweat_smile:

I have had the XM3 for a few days now and while I really like it in terms of comfort, noise cancellation, features, I'm not crazy about the sound for the music I listen to mostly (rock, metal, indie, etc). The mid bass seems a little wooly or overblown to my ears. It's not incredibly textured or deep. Can't hear true bass notes from bass guitar etc. They do sound pretty amazing with some hip hop and electronic music. The bass is good, but not totally impactful. I must say I really did enjoy the XM3 while sitting at the pool trying to knock out some work on my laptop and being able to shut out all the background noise. Also when taking them on a walk the ambient sound feature was also really nice so I could hear passing cars.

I'm hopeful the XM4 will address my sound quality issues. If it does I will likely keep it and send the XM3 back. If not, I might just keep the XM3.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #33,929 of 62,008
Where do you get TWS these days in Sri Lanka? AliExpress stopped working for me, crazy shipping fees and takes forever, Daraz is full of fakes, and places like Tecroot, Lifemobile, Celltronics, Urban mainly sell brand name stuff above 100$
That being said, Tecroot has the Nuarl N6 mini, which I had my eyes on, but there is very little info to be found, other than Nuarl has a pretty decent reputation here ... they are 22.500Rs

Hey man, are you back in Sri Lanka? Thought you were out of the country.

AliExpress isn't completely not working. It's just that the 'AliExpress Standard Shipping' option, which the majority of the sellers use, doesn't ship to Sri Lanka anymore. The listings from sellers who offer other shipping options work just fine. Also, most sellers custom ship using either 'AliExpress Premium Shipping' or 'Cainiao Global Shipping' if you explain the situation to them and ask them nicely, even if they only ship using 'Standard' shipping otherwise. The waiting time is horribly long though. Some of my orders from January just came in.

Do not buy anything from Daraz. It's hard to even believe they are an Alibaba subsidiary. The refund process and customer service are horrible compared to AliExpress.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #33,930 of 62,008
I have had the XM3 for a few days now and while I really like it in terms of comfort, noise cancellation, features, I'm not crazy about the sound for the music I listen to mostly (rock, metal, indie, etc). The mid bass seems a little wooly or overblown to my ears. It's not incredibly textured or deep. Can't hear true bass notes from bass guitar etc. They do sound pretty amazing with some hip hop and electronic music. The bass is good, but not totally impactful. I must say I really did enjoy the XM3 while sitting at the pool trying to knock out some work on my laptop and being able to shut out all the background noise. Also when taking them on a walk the ambient sound feature was also really nice so I could hear passing cars.

I'm hopeful the XM4 will address my sound quality issues. If it does I will likely keep it and send the XM3 back. If not, I might just keep the XM3.
I mean that's Sony's house sound. They've always been on the dark end of things.

If the MX4 don't work out and you can swing it, I'd suggest grabbing either a pair of ADV M5 or Technics AZ70W if you want something more metal-friendly. I've been putting just about every subgenre of metal I can think of through each and most everything's coming out on top. Each is plenty fast enough to handle 32/64-counts on the kick and the guitars don't end up completely lost in the mix. Just depends on whether you want a more bass-forward pair or treble-forward (without being sibilant or sharp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back