Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #33,781 of 62,079
My incoherent brain must be a perfect match! Although I do like the “enlightened consumer” tag!
Kidding aside, they were $79 for me. They do require more fiddling for a solid fit than most. But it pays to have relatively old, less than perfect ears. A feature, not a frill!
I definitely don't mean it as a diss. I like a lot of what I'm hearing from the Between Pro, but the bass is a bit too large and diffused for some tracks that I know should be presented leaner. It's still got a phenomenal presence and the price tag reigns supreme. Not fair to knock on this relative to a lot of what's out there, especially under $100.

Status is doing well so far. They nailed the ergonomics in a pretty novel way. Reminds me a bit of Audeze's wing-tip strategy for the iSine10 and that works amazingly well for its size. Makes them really comfortable for long-term wear.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #33,782 of 62,079
Excited for the Sony's. Will most likely buy immediately if they are under $300 and the reviews don't say they laid an egg. I am in need of some really high quality ANC these days which I was not prior. So that's something I expect these buds to do really well.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #33,783 of 62,079
Based off my experience with the 9038D alone, they're a blind buy recommendation. Without question. If you want the more portable one, go 9038. Want something beefy enough to power HD600s? Get the PowerDAC.
The 9038S has piqued my interest. Do you know if I can use 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adapters on them? I mostly have 4.4mm balanced cables. I read that the adapters can damage them? The other thing that worries me is the interference with mobile signals 5G/LTE. I guess I can use them with WiFi only? Having to manually configure volume settings seem like a pain too.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #33,784 of 62,079
Excited for the Sony's. Will most likely buy immediately if they are under $300 and the reviews don't say they laid an egg. I am in need of some really high quality ANC these days which I was not prior. So that's something I expect these buds to do really well.
Same here. Been quite happy with my Sennheiser MTW2 as I consider them a complete package with ANC, touch controls, supreme SQ and there isn't much out there in TWS space that challenges the MTW2 spec for spec except the Sonys. Also Sennheiser sold their consumer business so don't have high confidence on MTW3 whenever those get released.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #33,785 of 62,079
I hope the new WF-1000XM4 (horrible name) will bundle with the Xperia 1 III.

As long as it's not some super boomy tuning, I am excited about having a TWS with LDAC support!

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #33,787 of 62,079
Is there any details yet on whether the XM4's feature larger drivers than the XM3's?

haven't found any news on that, but judging from that lack of info and their past products, I'd say they would use the same driver tech and make improvements on the software side.. but that's just my guess

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #33,788 of 62,079
The 9038S has piqued my interest. Do you know if I can use 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced adapters on them? I mostly have 4.4mm balanced cables. I read that the adapters can damage them? The other thing that worries me is the interference with mobile signals 5G/LTE. I guess I can use them with WiFi only? Having to manually configure volume settings seem like a pain too.
There should not be an issue going balanced 4.4 to balanced 2.5. The issue is when you use an adapter to go from single ended cable to balanced output jack (though there is no issue using an adapter to go from balanced cable to single ended jack).

I haven’t used my 9038S in a long time so I don’t remember how it fares with EMI. Lack of volume adjustment is a bit of a pain.

There is a head-fi thread on the 9038S and other E1DA offerings where there will be pretty knowledgeable folks.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #33,790 of 62,079
Is there any details yet on whether the XM4's feature larger drivers than the XM3's?
Based on the youtube teaser and that big gold bullseye (mic?) sticking out the sides I expect the killer feature will be class leading ANC, possibly tackling higher frequency noise. I'm happy with my Geminis' 10mm driver and unlike most here I'm a one-phone kind of guy, but should Sony also have larger drivers that would put these over the top for me.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #33,791 of 62,079
Still no LE Audio? Are we looking at end of 2021/early 22 for that to start shipping?

Looking like Im gonna hold on to my LP2s for a a little longer.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #33,792 of 62,079
There should not be an issue going balanced 4.4 to balanced 2.5. The issue is when you use an adapter to go from single ended cable to balanced output jack (though there is no issue using an adapter to go from balanced cable to single ended jack).

I haven’t used my 9038S in a long time so I don’t remember how it fares with EMI. Lack of volume adjustment is a bit of a pain.

There is a head-fi thread on the 9038S and other E1DA offerings where there will be pretty knowledgeable folks.
Can't speak on EMI from the S, but the D can be prone to it if it's too close to your phone. I'll hear the odd digital noise in between tracks every now and then, but never during. No idea of converting 4.4 down to 2.5, though. I know it can happen in the reverse order, though.

Volume adjustment can be temperamental, too, but I take advantage of the min/max volume adjustments so I maintain usable volume control. I think that's the real trick to making it work.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #33,793 of 62,079
Read on WalkmanBlog that one listing mentioned 6mm driver size but not 100% confirmed and we won't know for sure until next week at the announcement.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #33,794 of 62,079
Do we think the Sony will be available immediately or some sort of month long preorder nonsense?
I'm hoping it's available the same month. The two listings we've all seen, don't seem to mention any dates but I assume they've listed it in preparation for sale soon.

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #33,795 of 62,079
I'm hoping it's available the same month. The two listings we've all seen, don't seem to mention any dates but I assume they've listed it in preparation for sale soon.
I’m utterly sick of preorders. I hope they are ready to roll and I hope they try for a more balanced audiophile sound over what has become a warmish Sony house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back