Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 22, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #33,496 of 62,022
PI7s do remember three devices and from the few days I had it, I thought that part worked pretty well. You can also designate which device you want it to

This. My PI7 auto pair to my iPhone perfectly, ironically better than my app which occasionally don't pair. Pi7 do every time.

They're also paired To my iPad at the same the. No issues there.

May 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #33,497 of 62,022
Have to agree with this review. I was a major fan of the original M1, but the M1+ goes it a bit better. I guess many don't care for the lack of ANC and the design, but to me, once you have them secured (I prefer the foam tips CA offers, which are the best I've ever used in terms of durability/fit) they are fantastic, especially for this price point. With both the MTs and the M1+, I honestly admit to being a Cambridge Audio addict. And yes, I see that What Hi-Fi? gets remunerated if someone buys gear through their site. Still feel the M1+ is a standout in the mid-price range.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/cambridge-audio-melomania-1-plus

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #33,499 of 62,022
PXL_20210522_174353295.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Ok, so these actually sound pretty good with some modification and tweaking. Out of the box they have SUPER hot treble. Very spiky/splashy and uncontrolled. I found that using the comply ISO 400 tips have helped significantly tone down that hot treble. The complys actually fit pretty good with them, just a little loose and they fit in the case with them on. I think ISO 200 or 100 would be perfect. But even with the complys still find the treble spiky on certain tracks so I applied this W-shaped EQ.

Screenshot_20210522-004013.png

I like to raise the lower mids a bit to give it a fuller sound while lowering the midbass to make it sound clearer. Then from there just lowering the treble peaks as I see fit. Even with this EQ applied I still find the treble to be spiky on certain tracks (usually pop recordings). But this has been sounding pretty good for the most part.

With this setup, I find them to be very fun, punchy, engaging, and musical. I can listen to them for hours with enjoyment.

I would rank these a notch below the Tevi's/CX400BT and a couple notches below GT220. They have good detail but dont quite match the technicality, detail, resolution, and textures of the others.

They do sound better than the Earfun Free's. But I wouldn't replace them as my workout buds because the EFF's bass hits harder, has ipx7 rating, snugger fit, and actual buttons with volume control.

I think these are suitable and do a pretty decent job for watching movies/shows but could probably use some more bass. I also played some pubg mobile last night with high performance mode on and didn't notice any real lag, so I guess they could do gaming also.

One thing to note is these have VERY apparent BA timbre. I never quite understood BA timbre until I heard these. I've notice it on my other IEMs but it didn't really bother me. But these have really obvious timbre issues. Again it doesn't bother me that much but I can see how it might be bothersome to those who are sensitive and are looking for more realistic/natural sound.

Overall, I think these are a serviceable pair of TWS if you can get past the BA timbre and the treble peaks. They have very fun character similar to the KZ sound signature. I can see some instances where I would use them in my rotation. While they don't do anything particularly well, they are pretty good at a variety of things. A kind of jack of all trades, master of none.

Edit: I also haven't noticed any Bluetooth connection dropouts since yesterday.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #33,501 of 62,022
Having a listen to my WF-XB700 and have to say they do have a nice sound. The bass is a bit over cooked but not by much and the vocals are pretty solid and maybe a bit forward. The treble is slightly grainy but have some grit which is a nice change up.

I really find them comfortable, if the upcoming WF-1000XM4 manage their comfort without the pull caused from the oversized design they will be Sony's most comfortable TWS.

Their biggest downside is the mic which picks up to much background noise, that and no app support for those that prefer that.

May 22, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #33,502 of 62,022
I'm looking forward to the WF-1000XM4. I currently have the XM3 and it has always fallen out, but I found a way to keep it in by having the long end pointed more downward (4-5 o'clock position) vs horizontal. I'm pretty happy with now, especially since I've returned the Bowers & Wilkins PI7 which does sound well, but is a bit overboosted in the bass for pop/hiphop. That bass is tight and textured, though, just overboosted. The PI7's volume level is much, much lower than the XM3, however, so that was also a problem.

So now I'm going to stay with the XM3 in the meantime until the XM4 comes out in a few month.

May 22, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #33,503 of 62,022
Does anyone here use a pair of IEMs with the neck wire and buttons on it? I've had a torrid time figuring out what to get so I tried the Beats Flex and the sound is pretty MEH so I'm keeping them as a work pair. The fad seems to be "truly" wireless but the wire really suits me, always hanging around my neck ready to go and I can't lose them lol. I just would like to have decent sound though and the Beats Flex don't even sound as good as a $20 pair of wired AKGs that came with my phone.

May 22, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #33,504 of 62,022
E4CE264B-97F8-4B05-B4DB-8F2D183E97CA.jpeg
7E9C92F4-2DF6-44F3-8F1C-55F838B342D7.jpeg
Moondrop Sparks:
OOTB, this immediately become my favorite TWS over AirPods pro.
-Wide diffusion field
-cohesive overall tonality
-bright neutral with slight bass floor lifted, not harman level.
-3-4khz area is a bit bright with a good consequence of vocal transparency.
-Not offensive bright to my standard, it’s about same as Sennheiser’s HD560S class.
-For extra $5, you a nice leather case with 水月雨 Moondrop kanji icon.
-piano sounds very welcoming on Sparks. Especially nocturnal type slow and mellow one.
-comes variety of ear tips(regular silicone, bass boost thin skin, form, AND shorter tips)
-good deeper insertion to keep TWS stable, and this helps for smaller ears for the housing not directly interfering with ear.

Moondrop nailed it
👍

Basically it’s about same price with Aria $80 vs Sparks $90+5 for leather case if you want.

Sound Quality wise Aria is on upper hand, but not very far, both has wide sound stage, tuned right, bass may sound a bit more engaging on Sparks with bass boost tips on.

Great for pops, with vocal focus, and inoffensive back stage music & good bass, it matches perfectly with pops /EDM.

Why would I choose Sparks over Airpods Pro? The bass, on AptX, with bass boost ear tips that came with Sparks, it’s a promising Oomph experience, not just ear canal, but inner nose also get a sense of bass resonance.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #33,505 of 62,022
Does anyone here use a pair of IEMs with the neck wire and buttons on it? I've had a torrid time figuring out what to get so I tried the Beats Flex and the sound is pretty MEH so I'm keeping them as a work pair. The fad seems to be "truly" wireless but the wire really suits me, always hanging around my neck ready to go and I can't lose them lol. I just would like to have decent sound though and the Beats Flex don't even sound as good as a $20 pair of wired AKGs that came with my phone.
I use Bowers and Wilkins PI3s and I have been happy with them. The buds have magnets in them so that they can attach to each other when not in use. For the price, I have been happy with them. The PI4s are similar with some additional features, but have no experience using those. At the time when I bought my PI3s, folks were complaining about some issues, so I went with the model down. Good luck.

May 22, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #33,507 of 62,022
Hi guys,

I'm here after a long time because my trusty Haylou GT1 Plus finally died. What's new in the TWS scene? Any recommendations on what would be the best pairs to own under $100?
Not sure what type of sound signature you are after, but for about $20 more you can get the Cambridge Melomania Touch. At first they had some bugs, but CA has worked pretty hard (and about 4 firmware updates later) and gotten them to a really nice place. The sound is pretty fantastic, and hear-through mode works well, but there is no ANC.

Otherwise, I hear decent stuff about Soundpeats, Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2, Edifier TWS1, Nuarl N6Pro, Fiil T1 Pro, etc... Though I cannot vouch for any on that list except the Nuarl N6Pro. They don't have a ton of features, but sound really good if you like a neutral sound.

Edit: Oh and I have the Melomania Touch also, and I CAN vouch that they sound terrific! :) And if those Haylou have the quality that is indicated by the collaberation with Xiaomi then they were probably pretty good. I still have my Xiaomi Piston 2, and they are STILL fantastic (though they are IEMs).

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #33,508 of 62,022
Hi guys,

I'm here after a long time because my trusty Haylou GT1 Plus finally died. What's new in the TWS scene? Any recommendations on what would be the best pairs to own under $100?
Where do you get TWS these days in Sri Lanka? AliExpress stopped working for me, crazy shipping fees and takes forever, Daraz is full of fakes, and places like Tecroot, Lifemobile, Celltronics, Urban mainly sell brand name stuff above 100$
That being said, Tecroot has the Nuarl N6 mini, which I had my eyes on, but there is very little info to be found, other than Nuarl has a pretty decent reputation here ... they are 22.500Rs

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #33,509 of 62,022

I still own my Jaybird Bluebuds X and they’re like that. I bought them in 2014 and they still work. I’d say, look at Jaybird. They still make that kind of neck wired iem with an in-line remote. Mine are from the few years they were independent. They were then bought by Logitech but the quality was not hindered at all. Obviously not an audiophile sound but still exciting for a workout. Beware of calls on Vista as they pick up a lot of surrounding noise. Don’t know about Tarah Pro but they look ok.
Although, nowadays, with the TWS offer you have, why would you wanna have a wire dangling around your neck? But if that’s your thing.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #33,510 of 62,022
Although, nowadays, with the TWS offer you have, why would you wanna have a wire dangling around your neck?

Cause many like to just wear it like that and put it in. A case and taking in and out is not as fast and easy esp in summer with few or no pockets. Also that design is still better for reception than quite a few TWS models around. I have had several of both types and only two were zero dropouts with devices next to the body. Both were semi-wireless.

Heck, Aviot is releasing a new PNK triple hybrid version I might just try and get... https://aviot.jp/collaboration/we-bd21d-pnk/
Wish it would have ambient mode though. Few have ambient or hear through cause you can just take a side out and you don't have to hold it. My AT has it and I like it esp. since it has a button all by itself toward the bottom for hear through.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back