Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #33,481 of 62,086
I'm going to continue throwing a massive "buyer beware" regarding the WH2 after having bought the WH3 and basically feeling left behind. It doesn't matter so much when you're talking about $20-50 IEMs, but that was an almost $200 set of hybrid TWS that HiBy seems to have all but abandoned in development. I was on the fence about sending them back within the return window and now I wish I had. I would caution anybody considering the WH2 that you may end up similarly left behind when they decide to do the stereotypical Chi-Fi thing and just move onto the next bright and shiny thing instead of continue development on existing products.

Also, one of the major reasons LDAC hasn't been in the TWS space yet is power management. It's not a very power-efficient codec and, at least in my experience, can be absolutely brought to its knees if you're attempting to run them off a host device that doesn't have a fast enough processor to handle the throughput.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong about both points, but even in the short time I've been involved in the TWS space, really don't want to see this become the norm.
Appreciate the warning. That’s useful. It comes down to price to me. But if they are looking for )250 or more it may be a tough sell. How is the sq on the wh3? Looks like they are going on indiegogo first so who knows when they release. I hate crowdfunding. They claim “first LDAC tws” so that may mean the Sony will not have it.

May 21, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #33,482 of 62,086
Appreciate the warning. That’s useful. It comes down to price to me. But if they are looking for )250 or more it may be a tough sell. How is the sq on the wh3? Looks like they are going on indiegogo first so who knows when they release. I hate crowdfunding. They claim “first LDAC tws” so that may mean the Sony will not have it.
All claims should be treated as such unless verified. Might be the engineer in me speaking, but as someone who finally made it through ASR's massive thread on MQA (and watched it completely devolve), I figured it's worth mentioning. Totally understand some people buy according to their passions and I'm not trying to knock their hustle, but if I can save a few people from getting caught up in flavors of the week, then mission accomplished.

The WH3 are really, really interesting. In a sense, it's like you're getting several IEMs in one with the adjustable crossover. However, for a company that got its start with software, I think HiBy Blue is massively behind the curve in terms of usability and UI. It's not slick at all, but it is serviceable as long as you're willing to put in some work learning the UI yourself. While I don't regret the learning experience that purchase brought, I don't think it would win any awards, either. There's definitely a funky BA timbre which doesn't go away regardless of tuning and that DD can overwhelm quickly if you bank the crossover to the "Dynamic" end. Each adjustment to the crossover requires a mental adjustment as well because, ultimately, you're going to feel like something's missing from the signature. If, perhaps, they had allowed a slope adjustment along with frequency adjustment, you could really dial this in.

Overall, it just feels like a rushed product; one in which I never could get UAT to function properly, even when I had the R5 Saber. It deeply concerns me that they'd rather just start over again instead of work on refining what they already have.

WILD SPECULATION ALERT

Now that it sounds like they're moving onto LDAC, I think HiBy themselves might be aware that UAT flopped and have resorted to coughing up the necessary cash for LDAC licensing. I imagine that the buyers will be absorbing some of that cost as well. What really baffles me, though, is how HiBy had a BA-DD hybrid with the WH3, but are stepping down to either a single-DD or dual-BA arrangement with the WH2 (your choice as the buyer, according to the product literature). That's the only key difference I can see in topology between the WH2 and WH3. Honestly means I have no way of knowing what sort of SQ you should expect out of the WH2. I've heard good things about the Beans (not referring to the Samsung ones), but have never tried a pair myself.

Edited- Had the WH2's driver arrangements backwards. Oops.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #33,483 of 62,086
Oh and hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but it's been about 5 days since I put these guys on the charger:

IMG_20210521_103632.jpg

Still 3 bars. Maybe they did fix the drain issue after all.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #33,484 of 62,086
All claims should be treated as such unless verified. Might be the engineer in me speaking, but as someone who finally made it through ASR's massive thread on MQA (and watched it completely devolve), I figured it's worth mentioning. Totally understand some people buy according to their passions and I'm not trying to knock their hustle, but if I can save a few people from getting caught up in flavors of the week, then mission accomplished.

The WH3 are really, really interesting. In a sense, it's like you're getting several IEMs in one with the adjustable crossover. However, for a company that got its start with software, I think HiBy Blue is massively behind the curve in terms of usability and UI. It's not slick at all, but it is serviceable as long as you're willing to put in some work learning the UI yourself. While I don't regret the learning experience that purchase brought, I don't think it would win any awards, either. There's definitely a funky BA timbre which doesn't go away regardless of tuning and that DD can overwhelm quickly if you bank the crossover to the "Dynamic" end. Each adjustment to the crossover requires a mental adjustment as well because, ultimately, you're going to feel like something's missing from the signature. If, perhaps, they had allowed a slope adjustment along with frequency adjustment, you could really dial this in.

Overall, it just feels like a rushed product; one in which I never could get UAT to function properly, even when I had the R5 Saber. It deeply concerns me that they'd rather just start over again instead of work on refining what they already have.

WILD SPECULATION ALERT

Now that it sounds like they're moving onto LDAC, I think HiBy themselves might be aware that UAT flopped and have resorted to coughing up the necessary cash for LDAC licensing. I imagine that the buyers will be absorbing some of that cost as well. What really baffles me, though, is how HiBy had a BA-DD hybrid with the WH3, but are stepping down to either a single-DD or dual-BA arrangement with the WH2 (your choice as the buyer, according to the product literature). That's the only key difference I can see in topology between the WH2 and WH3. Honestly means I have no way of knowing what sort of SQ you should expect out of the WH2. I've heard good things about the Beans (not referring to the Samsung ones), but have never tried a pair myself.

Edited- Had the WH2's driver arrangements backwards. Oops.
The DD is probably the better based based on your description of the issues with the BA version. In any event, LDAC without solid tuning is really not much to go crazy over. This is probably the tip of the iceberg with LDAC though which is a good thing.

May 21, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #33,485 of 62,086
The DD is probably the better based based on your description of the issues with the BA version. In any event, LDAC without solid tuning is really not much to go crazy over. This is probably the tip of the iceberg with LDAC though which is a good thing.
For perspective, I currently have the crossover set at 2750Hz, which is only slightly to the right of the existing "Balanced" preset, but seems to be a little more friendly with my pinna gain. The problem is that DD gets overwhelming fast. I also don't understand what benefit the crossover is going to serve on a single-DD unit, but HiBy doesn't seem to differentiate.

I'm...cautiously optimistic about LDAC's success in the TWS space. Think we need to overcome some battery hurdles first, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

May 21, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #33,486 of 62,086
PXL_20210521_235450033~2.jpg

Speaking of $20 hybrid TWS, these came in today. Very minimal packaging. Basic set of tips and USB-C cable for charing.

The case itself is actually quite small and decent. About the same size as the CX400BT case but not quite as nice.

None of the stock tips had a great fit. Even with the largest tips the seal didn't feel that good. Using some backup large tips from the Earfun Free for now.

Sound seems pretty decent at first listen. A bit sibilant and bass light with stock tips. But once I got a better seal, it sounds a little more balanced. Definitely V-shape type of sound. Also, I can notice a noisy hissing sound when music is playing. Which can be expected I guess at this price point. It's not too bad but definitely noticeable.

I did notice some weird connection drops and sync issues? Battery was low so charging for now and see if it happens again. At 10% it will keep reminding you with a voice prompt that battery is low (in broken english). Which can be quite annoying and funny at the same time.

Edit: I guess it was on certain tracks. Don't really notice the hiss anymore. But the background definitely isn't as black or quiet as my other TWS.

Touch controls are very sensitive.

Attachments

• PXL_20210521_235115945~2.jpg
    PXL_20210521_235115945~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #33,487 of 62,086
So I've spent a good hundred hours or more with the PI7 in my ears, thought I'd give you guys some ideas, comparisons, maybe useful.

I currently own the Airpods Pro, which I have a/b with the PI7 on many, many occassions now, out of interest.
My last tws were the MW07+, which I recognised as flawed but still loved, and used for a long time.
I have owned the Senn Momentum 2 tws for a week.
My wired earbuds I've owned: Campfire Andromeda & RHA T20

So the PI7 sounds. Laid back, effortless yet powerful, they have a lot more oomph than the Airpods Pro and MW07+. I think I can say quite confidently that when played from an Aptx source the PI7 are considerably better in SQ than both the Airpods Pro and MW07+, which I personally set at a similar level to one another.

Song comparisons

Listening to Lana Del Rey & Aurora to test vocals/mids: PI7 mids are much more detailed, where the APP sounds flat, PI7 is fuller and more nuanced. Its night and day, PI7 produces vocals much better than the APP.

Electronic music, Grimes, Chemical Bros: APP gets really congested and loses control in My name is dark and busier tracks. PI7 maintains resolution and control

The only thing the APP win on is in some tracks they have a bit of a brighter, livelier sound, whereas the PI7 are darker. From an Iphone XS Max the Airpods are also louders.

***important*** PI7 are 15% quieter or so from an iPhone than an Aptx device. They also sound better from an aptx device, but its marginal.

Vs MW07+

Comparing MW07+ to PI7 (memory): Vocals were a bit grainy and strange on MW07+, PI7 blows them out of the water in this respect. Bass approach is very different, MW07+ has interesting bass, but I think PI7 is more controlled.

VS Airpods Max
These are my goto noise cancelling portable audio device. However, I've been using them less, and less with the PI7 in hand. The ANC on the APM is beyond compare, but I think the PI7 addresses two flaws of the APM: weak midrange, lack of musical nature, or 'warmth'. I find the PI7 sound a good deal better and my APM have been collecting some serious dust, sadly, as I find them insanely comfortable and convenient. But the sound just isn't there.

I tested the PI7 with an iPhone XS Max, an Xperia 1 ii, an iPad Pro and from the case. THe PI7 sounded the best from the case to iPad, then from the xPeria, last the iPhone.

Conclusion

These buds are superb, they're the second best IEMs I've tried. They're better than the RHA wired T20 by a good margin, at least from an Aptx source.
They're a LOT better than Airpods Pro & MW07+, there is no contest. Totally different leagues, to my ear. The other two have too many flaws to be considered seriously for audio imo, but the PI7 really do carve into wired audio quality, bettering the T20i to my ear which is a good wired IEM.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #33,488 of 62,086
I had P14's and the ANC was non existent as well as all same issue you can read from Amazon customers, I see the P17's do not have any way to pair to another device or power on/off without the case, deal breaker for me.

May 21, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #33,489 of 62,086
So I've spent a good hundred hours or more with the PI7 in my ears, thought I'd give you guys some ideas, comparisons, maybe useful.

I currently own the Airpods Pro, which I have a/b with the PI7 on many, many occassions now, out of interest.
My last tws were the MW07+, which I recognised as flawed but still loved, and used for a long time.
I have owned the Senn Momentum 2 tws for a week.
My wired earbuds I've owned: Campfire Andromeda & RHA T20

So the PI7 sounds. Laid back, effortless yet powerful, they have a lot more oomph than the Airpods Pro and MW07+. I think I can say quite confidently that when played from an Aptx source the PI7 are considerably better in SQ than both the Airpods Pro and MW07+, which I personally set at a similar level to one another.

Song comparisons

Listening to Lana Del Rey & Aurora to test vocals/mids: PI7 mids are much more detailed, where the APP sounds flat, PI7 is fuller and more nuanced. Its night and day, PI7 produces vocals much better than the APP.

Electronic music, Grimes, Chemical Bros: APP gets really congested and loses control in My name is dark and busier tracks. PI7 maintains resolution and handles all sides of audio.

The only thing the APP win on is in some tracks they have a bit of a brighter, livelier sound, whereas the PI7 are darker. From an Iphone XS Max the Airpods are also louders.

***important*** PI7 are 15% quieter or so from an iPhone than an Aptx device. They also sound better from an aptx device, but its marginal.

Vs MW07+

Comparing MW07+ to PI7 (memory): Vocals were a bit grainy and strange on MW07+, PI7 blows them out of the water in this respect. Bass approach is very different, MW07+ has interesting bass, but I think PI7 is more controlled.

VS Airpods Max
These are my goto noise cancelling portable audio device. However, I've been using them less, and less with the PI7 in hand. The ANC on the APM is beyond compare, but I think the PI7 addresses two flaws of the APM: weak midrange, lack of musical nature, or 'warmth'. I find the PI7 sound a good deal better and my APM have been collecting some serious dust, sadly, as I find them insanely comfortable and convenient. But the sound just isn't there.

I tested the PI7 with an iPhone XS Max, an Xperia 1 ii, an iPad Pro and from the case. THe PI7 sounded the best from the case to iPad, then from the xPeria, last the iPhone.

Conclusion

These buds are superb, they're the second best IEMs I've tried. They're better than the RHA wired T20 by a good margin, at least from an Aptx source.
They're a LOT better than Airpods Pro & MW07+, there is no contest. Totally different leagues, to my ear. The other two have too many flaws to be considered seriously for audio imo, but the PI7 really do carve into wired audio quality, ousting the T20i which is a good wired IEM.
Nice post. I agree. I have the MW07 Go here. I don’t bother with them. The APP are for phone calls only. Never music. The PI7 are superb and frankly worth every cent of you want the best sq available in a tws.

May 21, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #33,490 of 62,086
Oh and hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but it's been about 5 days since I put these guys on the charger:

IMG_20210521_103632.jpg

Still 3 bars. Maybe they did fix the drain issue after all.
I have gone for or 5 days several times any drain so maybe. Either that or its slower than that. Certainly not an issue I worry about anyway. Unlike the original MTW that would die consistently.

May 21, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #33,491 of 62,086
I had P14's and the ANC was non existent as well as all same issue you can read from Amazon customers, I see the P17's do not have any way to pair to another device or power on/off without the case, deal breaker for me.
I hate to say it, but that describes a lot of today's TWS buds. There are very few that will allow pairing with more than one device. You have to power them off (or the BT transmitter on the device) and then pair them with another device. I would love to have this feature more also to be honest.

There are quite a few that will "auto" power off after a time of no activity, but there is usually no way to manually power them down. This seems to be the trend in the TWS market. I would love to have some way to manually turn them off, but I don't really see that feature coming back.

May 21, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #33,492 of 62,086
I agree but have a few budget TWS that allow both paring and power on/off via their buttons (I do not carry the case with me) but they probably are forgetting and pairing each time.

The Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro remember 8 devices.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #33,493 of 62,086
I agree but have a few budget TWS that allow both paring and power on/off via their buttons (I do not carry the case with me) but they probably are forgetting and pairing each time.

Still, that is pretty sweet on the feature side IMO.

WOW! That is cool. It seems that for a time that was pretty much a standard feature with most BT devices, and it seems that lately that has gone away. Even a lot of newer BT speakers are that way. I still have the Jawbone Big Jambox and it pairs with a lot of different devices like that also.

May 22, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #33,494 of 62,086

PI7s do remember three devices and from the few days I had it, I thought that part worked pretty well. You can also designate which device you want it to auto connect to when you take them out of the case, which I thought was pretty neat. I wish it could pair with more devices but the fact that you can also use the case helps. I personally dont mind using the case to power off (and recharge when not in use) and would rather have the buttons do something else but understand others may want to use theirs differently.

What I really wish is that more TWS would allow you to chstomize buttons so we have options based on our personal preferences. For example, I wish I could repurpose voice assistant for something else like ambient mode since I have never used, nor do I intend to use, the voice assistant function. I can barely get Alexa to do what I want at home (my three year old has an "Alexa voice" which is literally yelling at Alexa because he thinks that is how you are supposed to talk to Alexa).

May 22, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #33,495 of 62,086
Yea the P14's via the App let you pick a Primary and Secondary device (as they had Multipoint).

Powering on and off does not steal another setting as its normally a long press like 5+ secs on one or both buds (depending on model), obv you to need press both to power back on.

I cannot stand any buds that enter pairing mode every time you take them out the case or power on via buttons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back