Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #33,151 of 62,071
My M&D MW07 Plus arrived today. Colour me impressed on first use, although the bar wasn’t too high with my current TWS (Jabra 65t and Pamu Quiet). I’ve got some wired molded Livewires and Shure SE500 I have used Witham adapter, and some decent full size cans (eg Senn HD650) knocking about too and Sony WH-1000 Xm2 for noise cancelling.

The MW07 Plus fit me great out of the box, which is half the battle with IEMs I think. The little fins are great. Could go on the dodgems with these and not worry I
what a steal for 115, theyre brilliant buds

May 13, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #33,152 of 62,071
I hope someone can help me. I search for a BT Amp for my IEM´s. I were able to test the Fiio BTR3K from a friend some time ago. In general i liked it. But when i used low impedance IEM´s (16Ω and one 22Ω) i could hear a faint hiss and popping noise on low volume. After that i searched on the Web and found that this is a known problem with the BTR3K.
Then i checked the Shanling UP2. Seems to be a decent one. But it seems the App is a mess (connection problems, only a 5 band EQ and some more issues). Also i could not find any information how you can controll Titel jump Forward/Backwards/play/pause on the UP2. But in general it seems that the Sound is ok.
And every review i can find about the HiBy W3 is not making me want to spend money on it (+ it seems that the quality/longevity of the device is not good at all).
So I hope soemone can give me some tipps regarding a BT Amp for my IEM´s. Maybe a device i have not found yet, or if maybe problems with Fiio have been solved via a firmware update. . .

May 13, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #33,153 of 62,071
So - at half price I’m very happy so far. The offer runs until 31st May 2021 I think [Nike KD13 colourway versions direct from M&D with code Hype]. Haven’t figured out how to check if they support AAC or not (specs say no but some mixed reports say later versions did).
Those Nike KD editions do look nice. If I didn't already have the TWS I already have, I probably would pick one up too. Just don't think I'd be using them enough in my rotation.

May 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #33,154 of 62,071
I hope someone can help me. I search for a BT Amp for my IEM´s. I were able to test the Fiio BTR3K from a friend some time ago. In general i liked it. But when i used low impedance IEM´s (16Ω and one 22Ω) i could hear a faint hiss and popping noise on low volume. After that i searched on the Web and found that this is a known problem with the BTR3K.
Then i checked the Shanling UP2. Seems to be a decent one. But it seems the App is a mess (connection problems, only a 5 band EQ and some more issues). Also i could not find any information how you can controll Titel jump Forward/Backwards/play/pause on the UP2. But in general it seems that the Sound is ok.
And every review i can find about the HiBy W3 is not making me want to spend money on it (+ it seems that the quality/longevity of the device is not good at all).
So I hope soemone can give me some tipps regarding a BT Amp for my IEM´s. Maybe a device i have not found yet, or if maybe problems with Fiio have been solved via a firmware update. . .
Either the Fiio BTR5 or Qudelix 5k would probably be my suggestions. The 5k is, effectively, an evolution of the ES100.

Do you need a specific cable termination?

May 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #33,155 of 62,071
I am not sure you can beat that for the price, but will look around. Have you considered just buying a decent DAP? I realize it would be a bit bigger, but it seems that this is a really good price for what you get in this thing. Man, that sucks that there is a hiss going on. Have you found whether it is a software thing or is it the output impedance? I could not find that information to tell. 16 and 22 ohms seems like it should be up into the (no longer worrying about hiss) area, unless their efficiency is really high also. Have you considered the next one up in Fiio's stable of BT recievers? Like maybe THIS

Edit: Then I also found THIS which seems to have at least the same(ish) features as the Fiio, plus you can connect wired with USB-C and use it that way while charging at the same time...

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #33,157 of 62,071
Echo Buds v2 arrived today, $99 presale price. I have had them in maybe 25 minutes, and I have to say with a very minor tweak using the Alexa app (very basic EQ functionality) dialing back the highs one click and boosting the bass one click, sounding excellent for the price point and the compatibility with Alexa etc. Using the medium tips that came on the buds, will try a larger pair maybe, but they feel snug without adding the included wings. Passed the head shaking test (though I am not often out listening to music and shaking my head violently). My ears are old, so take my POV with a grain of salt, but they compare very favorably with the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch and Melomania 1+, as well as the Status Between Pro (the three TW phones I now own). Comfort/fit is good. No touch control for volume, but you can just tell Alexa to do it. In fact, Alexa can do all the commands pretty much. Have to say, even though the other TW phones I have may work with voice commands, I never thought to try them before. Doh! I do like the ability to change tracks and volume with a voice command. Listening to my "headphone playlist" full of different genres/styles of music and so far, so good. No, they are probably not on par with the TOTL TWs out there, but for $99, pretty, pretty good (doing my best Larry David impression).

Minor update. I have screwy ears, using the medium tip in my right ear and the large in my left. The tips have a sort of waxguard built in, it seems. But not a muffled delivery, not at all. So whatever those color-coded filters are, they are not affecting the sound.

Another update, the ANC on these is okay, not great. Didn't expect much on that front at $99. It's about the same as a good passive pair of IEMs, thinking Ety and even the new BLON Minis that arrived yesterday. ANC, to me, is nice, but more for full-sized phones like the Sony M3s. For TW IEMs, I get a good enough seal with the phones I have. These Echo Buds are fine; they are also the only TW buds I own with ANC. I think I will keep them, but time will tell.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #33,158 of 62,071
If looking for a separate device, definitely check out the Qudelix 5K. The PEQ is great.

There was some recent discussion on this thread about TWS adapters for IEMs (MMCX or 2 pin) if youre looking to go wireless. Depends on if you want the flexibility to keep using your IEMs wired without swapping cables/adapters all the time or if you want to get rid of all the cables.

May 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #33,159 of 62,071
I do like the ability to change tracks and volume with a voice command.

I hope I never have to sit next to you on a plane. Just kidding...

I do have to say, one thing I took for granted on my Surface Pro 4 were the volume buttons. I didnt realize how much I had gotten used to having volume buttons on it (and on my phones) until I got this XPS 13 2 in 1 laptop and now I cant adjust volume in tablet mode as quickly.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #33,160 of 62,071
@TheOnlyDocc I'll also mention, just for the sake of synergy, that I can use the iBasso CF01 on every IEM in the stable so far and none produce an audible hiss. I believe the CF01 was unnecessarily jeered for having this issue; turns out it makes for fantastic synergy with IEMs in the nominal impedance range you're mentioning. Handles the P1 without hiss, fwiw.
Hahahahaha better get those ANC buds ready.

Could you imagine a plane full of us? It would end up being the most anti-social social event ever because we'd just be listening to TWS.

Y'all would probably confine me to the lavatory after a while...

May 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #33,161 of 62,071
I am not sure you can beat that for the price, but will look around. Have you considered just buying a decent DAP? I realize it would be a bit bigger, but it seems that this is a really good price for what you get in this thing. Man, that sucks that there is a hiss going on. Have you found whether it is a software thing or is it the output impedance? I could not find that information to tell. 16 and 22 ohms seems like it should be up into the (no longer worrying about hiss) area, unless their efficiency is really high also.

Have you considered the next one up in Fiio's stable of BT recievers? Like maybe THIS

May 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #33,162 of 62,071
@TheOnlyDocc I'll also mention, just for the sake of synergy, that I can use the iBasso CF01 on every IEM in the stable so far and none produce an audible hiss. I believe the CF01 was unnecessarily jeered for having this issue; turns out it makes for fantastic synergy with IEMs in the nominal impedance range you're mentioning. Handles the P1 without hiss, fwiw.

Could you imagine a plane full of us? It would end up being the most anti-social social event ever because we'd just be listening to TWS.

Haha. I was thinking more of being out on the street so people think I am talking to myself (and scaring them away from me). But that is a funny.

May 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #33,163 of 62,071

Just a bunch of people talking, but none to each other... :)

May 13, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #33,164 of 62,071
My M&D MW07 Plus arrived today. Colour me impressed on first use, although the bar wasn’t too high with my current TWS (Jabra 65t and Pamu Quiet). I’ve got some wired molded Livewires and Shure SE500 I have used Witham adapter, and some decent full size cans (eg Senn HD650) knocking about too and Sony WH-1000 Xm2 for noise cancelling.

The MW07 Plus fit me great out of the box, which is half the battle with IEMs I think. The little fins are great. Could go on the dodgems with these and not worry I reckon. Love having real buttons that work and which I’ve learned in 2 minutes. Build quality is outstanding. Charging case much smaller than I expected from the pictures. My model has a matt black stainless steel case that looks great. Sound, I’m no expert, but they’re not going back. Lots of air and separation, don’t sound like they are in the ear at all. Comfortable +1 hour in but like most IEMs not sure I’d want to wear for a straight 8+ hours which is their battery life. Yet to ‘test’ connection but my iPhone as main source is always close so don’t expect issues. Noise cancelling not a strong feature but that’s fine - passive cancelling is pretty good and the ANC helps with droning low frequency. Yet to test phone calls much but seems ok.

So - at half price I’m very happy so far. The offer runs until 31st May 2021 I think [Nike KD13 colourway versions direct from M&D with code Hype]. Haven’t figured out how to check if they support AAC or not (specs say no but some mixed reports say later versions did).

Cheers all.
Mine arrive Monday apparently and I’m now even more excited to get my hands (ears?) on them. I’ve also got the Jabra 65ts mainly for exercising in now and I find them OK (compared to my CIEMs of course) for general listening and the convenience is there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back