Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 5, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #32,821 of 62,112
The Fiil and Huawei satisfy my sound and utility need for now.

The freebuds pro multipoint is a godsend. As is their transparency and ANC. Sound is good enough and the fit comfort is great.

Curious to see what will co.e out to improve on sound without failing in those areas.

May 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #32,822 of 62,112
Finally had to reach out to Status on their Indiegogo page asking where my Between Pro were. I ordered those dang things back on Valentine's Day and we're definitely past April at this point. Doing what I can to stay optimistic, though.
Seems they got more orders than they bargained for, which is good and bad, I guess. The few prople on the comments section who have them seem to agree they are special. The video reviewers, though not always objective we know, also like them a lot.
It’s very odd having one of the only two pair apparently owned by HF members. It is making me a bit nuts. The fact the other owner also raved is all I got!

Now my main concern is durability. So far so good.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #32,823 of 62,112
So close to ordering the PI7s when they came in stock today, but £350 for a product which is in essence disposable is a tough pill to swallow. Once those tiny batteries degrade tws really do lose their usefulness. Think ill stick with the airpod pros and save the money for some other gear

May 5, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #32,824 of 62,112
Wow I've had no drops on mine these past few days on my Huawei P40 Pro
You're very lucky for sure. Could be an iOS thing, who knows. It was annoying.

Take two. Trying the PI5s outdoors in a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6125.JPG
    IMG_6125.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6126.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6127.JPG
    IMG_6127.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 0
May 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #32,825 of 62,112
So close to ordering the PI7s when they came in stock today, but £350 for a product which is in essence disposable is a tough pill to swallow. Once those tiny batteries degrade tws really do lose their usefulness. Think ill stick with the airpod pros and save the money for some other gear
Test it out on Amazon prime. There’s still a few left there.

May 5, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #32,826 of 62,112
Same here. The ANC is rather useless. For speech it doesn't really remove anything vs. using them without the ANC. For lower frequency sounds there is some effect.
Wonder whose ANC they licensed? Sounds similar to the attenuation the JBLs are capable of. Cancelling out droning noises (AC, cars passing by) is fine if not good, but vocal and transient noises really don't get cancelled at all. Unfortunately, I think the outer ear helps tremendously with allowing the brain to interpret these sounds, so no in-ear TWS solution is going to be perfect at that sort of noise attenuation. Bose/Sony come really close, though.
Agreed plus if I order now by the time they deliver the xm4 and revised Gemini will be out most likely
And then the next thing will come out and the one after that...

Both fortunately and unfortunately, I've been in this Head-Fi rat race for a really long time and spent a lot more money than any small family reasonably should. I have no other real hobbies in life, so this is where my fun money goes. There will always be something late and great that we want to look forward to; I think if you can make it a goal of using the gear you have now to really understand how to utilize EQ effectively, you will find yourself leaps and bounds ahead of where you are now in a year's time in terms of knowing where your money should go next.

And that bar is really, really low in terms of cost these days compared to where it used to be. Anybody remember how much the ER-4P, Triple-Fi 10, and Shure SE530 ran when they were new? Those were arguably the pinnacle of in-ear tech for their respective time and I'm pretty sure each commanded at least a $300 investment for the IEMs alone. Look at what you can get for less than $100 now.

The TWS market will need time to catch up. I like what HiBy's playing around with regarding the adjustable crossover. I'm still learning how to adjust that thing for best effect, but I find it admirable that HiBy's willing to let the end user mess around with those settings on their own. Combine that with a 10-band EQ that goes up to 16KHz and you have a good amount of tweakability. These are definitely not the type of TWS one should buy if they're looking for a fuss-free experience. That's why I had to keep them. Much like the MT, I'm not ready to give up on them quite yet.

Plus, they're really dang comfy with the Final TWS tips on. A required upgrade, as far as I'm concerned. About to try them with the EPro horns...
IMG_20210505_102509.jpg

May 5, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #32,827 of 62,112
As I have now started to really enjoy the sound of an I EM, I kind of feel like using a true wireless earbud is only worthwhile now when I am on the goal I hear exercising or perhaps when using a microphone for a zoom call or some thing else. Because of that the things that are more important to me our comfort and fit the ability to not get ruined from sweat good sound and battery life.

I just don’t think with the current offerings I could justify the expense of three or $400 for something that is not gonna get use that often for me. I think once Bluetooth low energy becomes the new adopted standard and that the transmission quality improves both in connectivity as well as data transmission, I can then revisit improved through wireless earbuds that can give me in ear monitor sound while still being wireless.

Unless there is a huge breakthrough and TWS is being offered for 1/3 the price of its wired counterparts - i agree. I would never critically listen to songs with TWS but they are great for as you mentioned, working out, going for a walk or when you dont want to deal with portable audio, cables and wires.

When the new codecs come out and the technology matures and we see higher-end offerings i dont think i could ever justify a 5,6,7,800+ tws solution, especially if the battery is not removable. It will happen, though.

May 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #32,828 of 62,112
Hey Misery, ref. MT: Which ePro tips are you using exactly? Amazon has 3 models. Looks like TW00 fits Noble Falcon. I also see EP00 and EP01.

The stock MT silicone tips are borderline OK for me on runs (I've been going back and forth on whether to return my MTs or not). I do find myself trying to push back them in occasionally. And they are no good in the gym, not enough isolation. I tried the SpinFitCP360 and they were a bust. Maybe I'll try ePro next.

Ideally I would just use foamies except I can't find a foamie fit for the MT. Plus, while foamie isolation, fit, and bass enhancement is nice, the sound is too congested and muddied for good listening. I use Comply 600 foamies on my M1s in the gym for the isolation but I don't enjoy the resulting treble attenuation. The never ending quest for the perfect ear tip...

May 5, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #32,831 of 62,112
Hey Misery, ref. MT: Which ePro tips are you using exactly? Amazon has 3 models. Looks like TW00 fits Noble Falcon. I also see EP00 and EP01.

The stock MT silicone tips are borderline OK for me on runs (I've been going back and forth on whether to return my MTs or not). I do find myself trying to push back them in occasionally. And they are no good in the gym, not enough isolation. I tried the SpinFitCP360 and they were a bust. Maybe I'll try ePro next.

Ideally I would just use foamies except I can't find a foamie fit for the MT. Plus, while foamie isolation, fit, and bass enhancement is nice, the sound is too congested and muddied for good listening. I use Comply 600 foamies on my M1s in the gym for the isolation but I don't enjoy the resulting treble attenuation. The never ending quest for the perfect ear tip...
I'm using whatever came stock with the Noble Falcon 1, which means I'm pretty sure they're the TW00. Looks like the other two models are meant for IEMs with different nozzle diameters and probably won't work for our purposes.

Tried to use the newer iteration that come with the NFP, but they sit too loosely on just about every TWS I have here and it does translate into a funky FR due to the leakage. TW00 is the way to go; I just hope they're identical to those NF1 pack-ins. They're certainly branded as such.

May 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #32,832 of 62,112
Wonder whose ANC they licensed? Sounds similar to the attenuation the JBLs are capable of. Cancelling out droning noises (AC, cars passing by) is fine if not good, but vocal and transient noises really don't get cancelled at all. Unfortunately, I think the outer ear helps tremendously with allowing the brain to interpret these sounds, so no in-ear TWS solution is going to be perfect at that sort of noise attenuation. Bose/Sony come really close, though.

Been testing it a bit now - and in front of the TV listening to "normal sounds" I can't tell if the ANC is on or not - it is that bad. So for now I'm just going to assume the pair I got are not working as they should. I didn't expect all that much from the ANC, but this is ridiculous.

Sound quality is thankfully a lot better than the ANC. First TWS in-ear that have impressed me. But I bought them partly for flights so got to get this ANC sorted.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #32,833 of 62,112
Been testing it a bit now - and in front of the TV listening to "normal sounds" I can't tell if the ANC is on or not - it is that bad. So for now I'm just going to assume the pair I got are not working as they should. I didn't expect all that much from the ANC, but this is ridiculous.

Sound quality is thankfully a lot better than the ANC. First TWS in-ear that have impressed me. But I bought them partly for flights so got to get this ANC sorted.
This seriously makes me doubt pro reviews lol, expert reviews say the anc is brilliant. Yet nobody here agrees, hmmm

May 5, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #32,835 of 62,112
This seriously makes me doubt pro reviews lol, expert reviews say the anc is brilliant. Yet nobody here agrees, hmmm

I don't know. If the ANC had been poor I would have drawn the same conclusion. But this is so bad I just can't believe anyone would have sold the product this way - and it is inconceivable to me that anyone reviewing a pair like the way mine are currently operating wouldn't notice how poor the ANC is.

Will be interesting to see - because they are definitely a keeper based on the sound - and for me the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back