Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 29, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #32,551 of 62,112
Some specs and several comments here lateley, suggests I should just keep my MTW2s and stay happy with that?

MW08 - muddy bass, too warm sound
PI7 - no volume control on buds/bad battery and the sound is not in line with the price?
Mu3 - bad ANC, no AptX (and "impossible" to get the hold of?)

Pureplay Z7, MT, Grado and Falcon Pro does not include ANC which I want... (MT with connection issues?, and the Nobles are very expensive as well).

Specs, looks, build quality and price had me going for the MW08, but you guys have scared me off... :)

What do think?
Sounds like you may just want to wait for the Sony. Some speculation it will come sooner than fall but only speculation.
Moondrop Aria and UTWS3 are tempting!
But no ANC that way :). I think Reecho SG03 and UTWS3 might be better for passive noise cancel and they may just sound a little better for the same $69. Though they have not been A/B'd directly yet AFAIK.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #32,552 of 62,112
Sounds like you may just want to wait for the Sony. Some speculation it will come sooner than fall but only speculation.

But no ANC that way :). I think Reecho SG03 and UTWS3 might be better for passive noise cancel and they may just sound a little better for the same $69. Though they have not been A/B'd directly yet AFAIK.
:) Yes, I know. The Aria and UTWS3 was just something extra. Curious about both the Fiio and Moondrops. Anyway, thanks for the tip about Reecho SG03. Will check them out.

The new TWS I consider buying, will be more used outside, and on trams/the tube etc., that's why I want ANC that works ok.
Yes, maybe I wait for the Sony details. :thumbsup:

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #32,554 of 62,112
:) Yes, I know. The Aria and UTWS3 was just something extra. Curious about both the Fiio and Moondrops. Anyway, thanks for the tip about Reecho SG03. Will check them out.

The new TWS I consider buying, will be more used outside, and on trams/the tube etc., that's why I want ANC that works ok.
Yes, maybe I wait for the Sony details. :thumbsup:
What makes the Reecho so good?

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #32,555 of 62,112
Some specs and several comments here lateley, suggests I should just keep my MTW2s and stay happy with that?

MW08 - muddy bass, too warm sound
PI7 - no volume control on buds/bad battery and the sound is not in line with the price?
Mu3 - bad ANC, no AptX (and "impossible" to get the hold of?)

Pureplay Z7, MT, Grado and Falcon Pro does not include ANC which I want... (MT with connection issues?, and the Nobles are very expensive as well).

Specs, looks, build quality and price had me going for the MW08, but you guys have scared me off... :)

What do think?
lol literally every comment in this thread and review published is saying PI7 has insanely good sound.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,556 of 62,112
What makes the Reecho so good?
For BT vs. the Aria would be a better fit and iso and easier to drive as it is still the same Starfield driver that likes more power. Again good early reviews but not yet compared directly to Aria yet but sounds like it holds its own.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #32,557 of 62,112
For BT vs. the Aria would be a better fit and iso and easier to drive as it is still the same Starfield driver that likes more power. Again good early reviews but not yet compared directly to Aria yet but sounds like it holds its own.
Aria fit is great. Easy driven sensitivity is 122db. My Soundmagic dongle amp DAC only needs 40% volume to be as loud as any of my earbuds at nearly 60%

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #32,558 of 62,112
Can anyone recommend a bluetooth adapter that can handle two wireless earphones (samsung galaxy buds+ and Jabra Elite 75t) so two people can listen at the same time while watching tv? I can stick it into my Panasonic plasma or my Vizio Soundbar (prefer the latter).

This way the 2 insomniacs don't have to wake the other family members late at night
Smilie

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #32,559 of 62,112
Well, I'm back on the Melomania Touch train since they were 20% off on Amazon, and now remember why I was so frustrated with them, since they sound so great.

I will say they're still pretty slow connecting to my phone compared to the Galaxy Buds Pro, but at least it's consistent, and they've connecting every time so far (firmware updating was a bit of a pain in the ass, took me 5-6 times to get fully installed on the right earbud). Still the most comfortable TWS earbuds I've ever owned.

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #32,560 of 62,112
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #32,561 of 62,112
Random persistent dropouts when my phone (Pixel 5) is close; they usually go away after putting the PI7s back in the case and removing them. Wireless charging isn't working - that's with 3 different wireless chargers. B&W support is a mess (you can't reply to one of their emails, you have to enter a response to their response by refilling out one of their contact forms). The app (android) is buggy: sometimes it won't connect at all; when it succeeds, it causes the audio the sputter during connection. The included eartips have a piece of foam/felt in them that dampens the highs. The sound is quite good, though - with different eartips.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #32,563 of 62,112
Got my PI7 today. Very impressive. These sound like what the MW08 “should have”. Balanced with a touch of warmth. I love the fact that nothing is scooped and the bass is deep but accurate.

Bonus points for excellent fit with the stock tips and automatic AptxHD connection to my pixel. The battery life is still an issue and they feel a little cheap and plasticy for 400.

I think they delivered on the promise of class leading sound and tech. I suspect the battery life is the trade off for the hybrid setup, amp quality and AptxHD connection. I’ll need to test the battery using AptxHD to see how bad it is. If you can stomach the price, can’t imagine anyone being disappointed. Are they leaps and bounds better than the competition? No, I don’t think so. But sometimes you have to pay a lot more for that extra 10 percent in this hobby. Some won’t find it worth it. I do.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #32,564 of 62,112
A long time ago in a galaxy far away, Crin participated in the thread. He threw a mini tantrum over some criticism and quit. For the record, I find his reviews very helpful and like him overall. But he really overreacted to a few comments and vowed never to return.
I remember that. IIRC he was accused of being a shill for the manufacturers because some of his reviews didn't "align" with theirs. I personally don't agree with most of his reviews (sound-wise), but he does a great job. I do like that he is no nonsense and only reviews the sound, and not the features though.

Not in EU shop (and no shop in Norway of course... )
Sorry to hear that... I just noticed yesterday that they are available here in the US (again). Now if we can just get the UTWS3 in stock here, I would be happy.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #32,565 of 62,112
Random persistent dropouts when my phone (Pixel 5) is close; they usually go away after putting the PI7s back in the case and removing them. Wireless charging isn't working - that's with 3 different wireless chargers. B&W support is a mess (you can't reply to one of their emails, you have to enter a response to their response by refilling out one of their contact forms). The app (android) is buggy: sometimes it won't connect at all; when it succeeds, it causes the audio the sputter during connection. The included eartips have a piece of foam/felt in them that dampens the highs. The sound is quite good, though - with different eartips.
OK, so I finally took the PI7s out for a 5 mile walk. I decided I would test them and the new KEF Mu3s outdoors to see which one fared better.
I encountered a few bugs with the PI7. When I first received them, I experienced random dropouts while sitting at my desk listening to music. Nothing major, but it sounds like Bluetooth skips. I reset them and that did the trick for a few days but then today it came back. While walking, if I wasn’t near a building for Bluetooth signal to bounce off of, the Bluetooth skipping happened randomly. Nothing major at all, just a random skip here and there. Depending on which way you turned your head and how far my iPhone 12 was away from the buds.
Then, earlier today I was listening to an old 80s hair metal track. Probably not a great source material since a lot of this albums we never mastered very well, but when the song hit a certain moment I heard crackling in the left ear. I’ve heard this on other headphones, and I’m not a big audiophile so I can’t really tell you why it happens, only that I’m guessing it has something to do with the source material. That said, I didn’t hear it on any other music I listened to. Also, while using the KEFs on the same song that had crackling, I didn’t hear the same issue.
I’m sharing this because even though these suckers were over $400 after tax and shipping, are they still worth keeping? The ANC is awesome. The sound is awesome, but there’s that little hiccup. The Bluetooth switching between my Mac and my iPhone is awesome. All I have to do is click on the Bluetooth name and boom I am clicked over to a Zoom call instantly. So, I’m tormented. The honeymoon phase waning. Worth keeping or not? That is the question…
Oh and, ZERO issues like this with the KEFs so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back