Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #32,341 of 62,025
It’s not IEM, but I just ordered a pair of Senn’s probably last legacy for consumer HD series cans, HD560S to salute and farewell, with a side ordet of 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male balanced sure silver cable. Then I suddenly noticed it could be modded as aptx HD wireless headphone with balanced amp! I honestly can’t tell the difference between wired/wireless now, nice buy it was! (Not for outside use, because HD560S is open-back, and the outlook is kinda too nerdy😂 But it’s good for indoor!

Hahaha I think you might be cheating a bit!

Honestly, the thought of doing something like that myself has definitely come across my mind; think at that point I'd rather just deal with the wires, but sounds like it's working well for you.

Took the FITS to the dog park today. Never budged. Never glitched. No adjustments needed. These used to be given requirements, but now I guess they're things we should make note of. Still can't see a scenario where these leave my collection.

Glad everybody who got the PI7 is happy with them! Glad their sound/features are worthy of the price tag.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #32,342 of 62,025
Hahaha I think you might be cheating a bit!

Honestly, the thought of doing something like that myself has definitely come across my mind; think at that point I'd rather just deal with the wires, but sounds like it's working well for you.

Took the FITS to the dog park today. Never budged. Never glitched. No adjustments needed. These used to be given requirements, but now I guess they're things we should make not of. Still can't see a scenario where these leave my collection.

Glad everybody who got the PI7 is happy with them! Glad their sound/features are worthy of the price tag.
Haha I just prefer cans when watching TV etc, so HD560S as the dead flat neutral reference with lighter body vs HD600 was a perfect match👍 It’s not a biggy to just clip on cloth but haha just out of whim😂

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #32,343 of 62,025
Can you compare them ANC- and sound wise to the MTW2?
In my opinion the ANC is comparable to the MTWs, but I haven't had them in about 6 months so I cannot compare today. I prefer the sound of the PI7 over the Sennies. I always found the bass to be muddy on those MTW 1 & 2 no matter how hard I tried. The PI7s bass has more of a punch. I'm loving them. Just took them on a walk to a farmers market with my family. No dropouts, kept transparency on so I could listen to a baseball game while with everyone. Perfection.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #32,344 of 62,025
Haha I just prefer cans when watching TV etc, so HD560S as the dead flat neutral reference with lighter body vs HD600 was a perfect match👍 It’s not a biggy to just clip on cloth but haha just out of whim😂
I'll do the same with some of the TWS here if the kiddos are in bed and I want to listen a little louder (or for the political stuff so the wife stays happy). Definitely a good use case!

Have you been considering any of the True Wireless that are out there? Can't remember if you ended up with a pair of the Spark, but we'd love to hear your take on them if you did.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #32,345 of 62,025
What's going on with the Cambridge MT? Any of the connecting glitches fixed with the latest firmware? Any word on a hardware revision so they sit better in the case? Or is nothing going to happen until the next gen?

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #32,346 of 62,025
What's going on with the Cambridge MT? Any of the connecting glitches fixed with the latest firmware? Any word on a hardware revision so they sit better in the case? Or is nothing going to happen until the next gen?
I haven't had any issues. Seems like I also don't have any issues where the buds auto-connect back up with the phone while they're in the case if they're not perfectly aligned, which I did have issues with pre-update.

The only glitches I know that I and someone else have seen relate to the update process itself; my OnePlus 8T just doesn't like updating these earbuds, but that issue doesn't carry over to my spare device (Pixel 3a) and updates happen without issue.

I'll say this: for now, they're back on my recommended list and would currently sit as my top pick in that "midrange" category ($100-200) for most users.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #32,347 of 62,025
I'll do the same with some of the TWS here if the kiddos are in bed and I want to listen a little louder (or for the political stuff so the wife stays happy). Definitely a good use case!

Have you been considering any of the True Wireless that are out there? Can't remember if you ended up with a pair of the Spark, but we'd love to hear your take on them if you did.
The spark preorder got suspended, They claim they are having hard time to get US electronic communication license for Sparks, they are expecting to delay official release until this summer. But yes I’m definitely after the sparks, the FR looks sweet. My current TWSs are airpods pro and TRN VX (with TRN BT20Pro), I tried those TWS tails for many IEMs but many of them showed less forgiving compensations in sound quality, so I just hooked a well-made chi-fi TRN VX for fun.

Hope there are some LDAC or Aptx HD BT modules..
1F0AC0AD-3CDB-41D3-9518-818E94828816.jpeg

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #32,348 of 62,025
It’s not IEM, but I just ordered a pair of Senn’s probably last legacy for consumer HD series cans, HD560S to salute and farewell, with a side ordet of 2.5mm male to 2.5mm male balanced sure silver cable. Then I suddenly noticed it could be modded as aptx HD & LDAC wireless headphone with balanced amp! I honestly can’t tell the difference between wired/wireless now, nice buy it was! (Not for outside use, because HD560S is open-back, and the outlook is kinda too nerdy😂 But it’s good for indoor!

I did something similar using the Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC AMP with 2.5mm balanced plug from HD-820 or Focal Elegia equipped with a short 3ft custom Corpse Cable Gravedigger cable. Easy to walk around with the DAC AMP in a pants pocket (or pajamas these days!). 5K also has clip built-in to attach to clothing.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #32,349 of 62,025
I did something similar using the Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC AMP with 2.5mm balanced plug from HD-820 or Focal Elegia equipped with a short 3ft custom Corpse Cable Gravedigger cable. Easy to walk around with the DAC AMP in a pants pocket (or pajamas these days!)
Lol yes pajamas with no pants!

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #32,350 of 62,025
Is this right?
- No volume control on the buds?
- No ambient mode switch using the buds' touch control? (only with using the phone app?)
- 3,5-4 hours of battery life?
The sound quality and ANC must be really good for these to be interesting then? With that price tag too.
I believe those are all correct. But the UE Fits also started that way and with one software update they added a bunch of items. Hopefully these follow the same route

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #32,351 of 62,025
I believe those are all correct. But the UE Fits also started that way and with one software update they added a bunch of items. Hopefully these follow the same route
The med Symbio tips work very nicely on the PI7. This track is just killer:

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #32,352 of 62,025
Do the P17 case charge when it's in transmission mode hooked up to a USB port? If it doesn't work ,does it work if you put the case under a charging pad?

Will the earbuds connect to the case source or phone when you take the earbuds out as the case are plugged in via 3.5 mm/USB?

Also do you have to use the USB-C to USB C cable provided? I suppose it also work with any USB C - USB A cable?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #32,353 of 62,025
Any Devialet Gemini owners here, how are they volume wise...Do you have they need a lot of volume . I have a Iphone and thinking of checking them out when they become available again next month.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #32,354 of 62,025
Any Devialet Gemini owners here, how are they volume wise...Do you have they need a lot of volume . I have a Iphone and thinking of checking them out when they become available again next month.
They get pretty loud. Can’t imagine anyone thinking low volume is an issue.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #32,355 of 62,025
Do the P17 case charge when it's in transmission mode hooked up to a USB port? If it doesn't work ,does it work if you put the case under a charging pad?

Will the earbuds connect to the case source or phone when you take the earbuds out as the case are plugged in via 3.5 mm/USB?

Also do you have to use the USB-C to USB C cable provided? I suppose it also work with any USB C - USB A cable?
I wanted to add a question as a potential B&W PI7 Buyer: Watching a YouTube video review, it seemed like the case allows higher bit rate/resolution than transmitting from a source directly to the earbuds? Can anyone clarify for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back