Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #31,606 of 62,092
I had that as well, but after close/opening the case it just worked. The right earbud is supposed to passively update the case. If it doesn't then their suggested remedy is to take the right right out and put it back in after waiting a few seconds. It should work eventually.

I agree that this is one of the weirdest update procedures I've ever seen.

basically you just want to see the light go on. don't bother pushing the button, but do try taking the buds out and back in and close/open the case. If it doesn't come back to life after a number of tries then I guess it's a brick, and they will replace them.
Sounds like Design won against whatever boardroom battle against Engineering they staked. That's a pretty wild update process...

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #31,607 of 62,092
Apr 6, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #31,610 of 62,092
Something to investigate if you're doing this via Android as I just figured this out last night:

Some LE devices need location services for the respective TWS app to be Always On, not just when the app is in use. I didn't do this when I tried to upgrade the NF1 and the system went haywire in the process. Once I changed it to Always On, the update went perfectly. Might be worth checking on the Devialet app to see if it's the same issue and I'd assume a cold boot would be a good idea as well. Conversely, if you're trying to do this on iOS and it's being a pain, do you have an Android device to try updating the firmware on as well?

This could also potentially be why my MTs were acting all screwy with volume. I'll have to spend some time with them after work today and report back on my findings. More to come...

Had this saved in my quotes stack, but never attached it to a post. Sorry about that.

Do you have a link to the discussion on it? Couldn't find anything on Piotr's site. And to think I had the FIBAE 7 in my sights. Might not have to anymore.
Screenshot_20210406-121624.jpg
Update: found the product page, at least. Have fun with the customizer :)
https://thecustomart.com/shop/acrylic-products/go-one/

Sometimes it's the dumbest settings that can make or break a pair of TWS...I think I've narrowed down, at least in my case, the issue I was having with volume control on the MT.

With my particular flavor of Android, the Location popup that comes up on the first boot of each app (that would require it) did not present to me every available setting for the MT app. As a result, the TWS were only being granted location access when the Melomania app was open. Apparently, this can wreak havoc on certain features of a TWS. In the NF1's case, it prevented me from being able to select each bud in the firmware update app. Turns out that it had a similar effect for the MT, only with regard to volume control.

If you're on Android, I highly encourage you to test this theory out:
  1. Open your Android settings menu (the big system-wide one)
  2. Open Location (depending on which flavor of Android you have, this may be buried under additional settings menus)
  3. Open "App access to Location" (or whatever sounds like "app-specific location settings")
  4. Scroll until you find the Melomania app and select it
You should see something similar to this:
Screenshot_20210406-133045.jpg
For me, Deny was selected at first. Once I selected Allow all the time, I got my volume control back. And, so far, it's stayed back.

The rationale behind why this matters, as far as I understand, is that LE devices need permanent location access to function properly. Guess it'll bork the OnePlus 8T's volume control without it.

Maybe it'll work for you, maybe not. Don't know what to suggest for the iPhone folks, if anything is even required.
Just for information purposes, I have used the MT app with my DX160 since the beginning, and have had no issues, with location services turned off. Granted I have a pop-up yelling at me for having it turned off, every time I open the MT app, but no adverse effects otherwise. I also have absolute volume turned off (for my Deva BT because they don't have a volume control).

I don't have the location permission app open when I get to location services like your picture shows. All I have in my version of android is a list of apps, and a toggle switch to turn it on or off. That might be because the DX still uses android 8?! Not sure, but hopefully this info can help others (if we all gather the information about the scenerio).

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #31,611 of 62,092
Let's hope Sony has fixed their biggest issue with their previous flagship TWS... The humongous case...
I joked to myself, after reading that article, that the reason they only have a sketch of the top of the case was because it's going to be a behemoth! You're definitely not the only one.
Just for information purposes, I have used the MT app with my DX160 since the beginning, and have had no issues, with location services turned off. Granted I have a pop-up yelling at me for having it turned off, every time I open the MT app, but no adverse effects otherwise. I also have absolute volume turned off (for my Deva BT because they don't have a volume control).

I don't have the location permission app open when I get to location services like your picture shows. All I have in my version of android is a list of apps, and a toggle switch to turn it on or off. That might be because the DX still uses android 8?! Not sure, but hopefully this info can help others (if we all gather the information about the scenerio).
May be a smartphone thing, too. Just offering the suggestions in case someone comes by and has the same issue.

Been enjoying the evening listening to the Black Mesa soundtrack on the EFPs; they're really taking advantage of the intensity cues. Still pretty bloomy, but I'm all right with this. Just wish the ANC did more; not the best for cutting out the fan noise from my HVAC on the back patio.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #31,613 of 62,092
I had that as well, but after close/opening the case it just worked. The right earbud is supposed to passively update the case. If it doesn't then their suggested remedy is to take the right right out and put it back in after waiting a few seconds. It should work eventually.

I agree that this is one of the weirdest update procedures I've ever seen.

basically you just want to see the light go on. don't bother pushing the button, but do try taking the buds out and back in and close/open the case. If it doesn't come back to life after a number of tries then I guess it's a brick, and they will replace them.
Mine won’t update. Keeps throwing an error to make sure the buds are in the case - which they are.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #31,615 of 62,092
Well. iOS user here. My charging case bricked as well. Totally dead. Anyone on iOS Do Not do this.
Edit - false alarm. Back in business. It was dead for about 5 minutes. Now working.
Devialet means heart attack in Swahili?

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #31,617 of 62,092
Well. iOS user here. My charging case bricked as well. Totally dead. Anyone on iOS Do Not do this.
Edit - false alarm. Back in business. It was dead for about 5 minutes. Now working.
I wish mine would come back to life. I’ve been sitting here all evening trying every “fix” suggested, over and over. No dice.

About time for me, at least, to throw in the towel.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #31,619 of 62,092
Sony WF-1000xm4 has been certified with Bluetooth 5.2 but no aptx/aptx HD. Seems they may be going for LDAC, and I'm sure it will have AAC/SBC.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-S...les-out-aptX-or-aptX-HD-support.531036.0.html
I don’t know about AAC, but the headphone has to support SBC as that’s kind of the base codec for BT. I’m not sure if it’s against protocol to not support SBC, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were.
In surprised Apple hasn’t implemented Airplay for the AirPods and the new headphones. My understanding is that it’s lossless
Apple would need to add WiFi to the AirPods as well as a way for them to connect to the network. This is harder said than done as a lot of networks require certificates and weird authentication... Then you also get the lag associated with AirPlay setup and the power drain from it as well. Might not be worth the hassle, especially if the majority of the population wouldn’t hear the difference anyways.

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #31,620 of 62,092
Apple would need to add WiFi to the AirPods as well as a way for them to connect to the network. This is harder said than done as a lot of networks require certificates and weird authentication... Then you also get the lag associated with AirPlay setup and the power drain from it as well. Might not be worth the hassle, especially if the majority of the population wouldn’t hear the difference anyways.
Thanks - great explanation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back