Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #30,706 of 62,092
I'm wondering what this thread's take is on the galaxy pro's? I saw a bit about them a few months back and then nothing. I got a pair to go with my android phone (pixel 3) and PC, and I kinda like them, but they are a bit fatiguing to my ears and like many others don't fit well. The sound itself is good though, although sometimes the treble can be a bit too much. I had the sony wf-xsm3's for a while but didn't like the sound as much and had connection issues.

I'll likely return, but I'm unsure what to try next. I'm no audiophile, but the biggest single attribute I want is good sound, assuming they meet some minimum requirements. For me this is, in no particular order:

1. Good solid connection with my phone/PC
2. ANC (doesn't have to be top notch but it is important to me)
3. Hear through ie I want to be able to change a setting so I can talk to others without taking the iem's out. I love how on the samsung, if I talk it automatically goes to that mode.
4. Decently good mic - just enough for some calls and occasional webcam use.
I’d go with the KEF mu3’s. I‘m listening to classical right now and they sound incredible

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #30,707 of 62,092
Yes, you are right. I didn't try KEF and Nuarl N10pro. They not available in US yet. Tried Gemini, they are good. But all of them has single dynamic driver, if I remember correctly, and don't have this sweet treble extension, resolution and sound stage which armature drivers of Falcons can reproduce. Or maybe, I am just the big fan of hybrids.
Actually I’m in the US and I bought the KEFs right off their website. Fast shipping and astonishing sound

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #30,708 of 62,092
You can customize this. Something that sound like chin chin Thai is ambient ....
Thank you ... I forgot to mention in my question that I am on iOS, hence I do NOT have the app and cannot customize anything :)

@DigDub and I kinda agreed on a glossary / sounds like like this
Jiang zao - reduce noise, also known as noise reduction
Jian ting - listen simultaneously, also known as ambient mode
Kai - switch on
Guan - switch off

so, chin chin thai / jian ting kai ... same same ... i guess :D

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #30,709 of 62,092
Care to elaborate on this Neutron solution, please? It’s a paid app, right? Worth it? Are there alternatives?
Thanks!
I mainly use Neutron to stream FLAC and DSDs from my PC to my iPhone. Then I plug my iFI xDSD it my phone and use my JH Lola wired IEMs. The sound is absolutely incredible

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #30,710 of 62,092
@dj24 think this might suit your needs:
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro

BT 5.0 and 2-way LDAC, plus an Android OS should at least give you the ability to have modern-ish Bluetooth and whatever app you like for gapless, though HiBy makes a great app on its own and that's the one that's cooked into the DAP. There's also a slightly more premium model with dual Sabre ES9218P DACs for those who are firmly in team ESS. Think it runs you an extra $10, so they're not asking too much, in my opinion.

Worth looking into, at least.
I have the R6 Pro and although it sounds amazing with JH Lola and my Audeze LCD-2, I’ve had a lot of issues pairing Bluetooth devices (still haven’t gotten my KEFs to pair with it...)

I also have a hard time with the wifi connection. I can be sitting in one spot in the house with jh IPhone steaming tidal perfectly but the R6 drops constantly

it is nice though to be able to pop a 1 TB SD card in

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #30,711 of 62,092
It'a all relative to be honest. You might think Sony XM3 are trash but what are you basing it on - comparisons to wired iems? Of course, no competition. Compared to other wireless earphones, I stand by my opinion that they're the best out there. It's a compromise with truly wireless earphones and one shouldn't expect a wired earphone experience - not now anyway, maybe one day.
I have to concur on the XM3s. I’ve tried a number of different tips and a every imaginable EQ setting and they’re my least favorite. great ANC and for phone calls though to be fair

jabra 65 elite active, Bose NC, NUARL N6P (second favorite), and the KEFs which blow all the others away

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #30,712 of 62,092
Random question for all TW's users. I have had this issue now with all the TW buds I've tried, so I know it's not an issue by brand. I'm trying to figure out if it's a Tidal issue or Android issue. Basically I'm listening to a playlist on Tidal. I can pause or switch to transparent mode say, then unpause and it continues where it lefts off. But sometimes when I try to restart the music from a pause, the playlist starts with some random track and I lose my place in the playlist. Does this happen to anyone else? And with what OS and with what music playing app?
When I add a Tidal song to my favorites (iOS), it goes to the next track. Extremely annoying

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #30,713 of 62,092
Actually I’m in the US and I bought the KEFs right off their website. Fast shipping and astonishing sound
They have been backordered for a while now.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #30,714 of 62,092
Anybody have the issue where they find their true Wireless earbud does not sound as loud as they want? I've noticed this was an issue for the Sennheiser and to a lesser but still true extend for the Huawei freebuds pro. However the Sony and the Melomania touch or significantly louder by comparison. I have an Android Samsung phone and decided to look up how to fix this on YouTube and discovered that by disabling the absolute volume it has a two-fold effect. the first effect is it decouples the Bluetooth volume on your phone and your earbuds such that they now work independently of one another after rebooting the phone. what this means is that you can have the volume on your buds at 100% but the phone's bluetooth volume still at 50 and so you're absolute output would still only be 50%. However if you then set your media volume on the phone to maximum and just control the volume with the earbuds it gets a significantly louder than when the two are synced together without the absolute volume disable button turned on in developer settings.

well I know this is a little less convenient because now it means when you change the volume it is not changing everything at the same time, it does give that extra volume if you need it to your earbuds.

I would estimate that the earbuds sound at least 10 to 15% louder after making this change in the developer settings. So for any of you who feel you don't have enough volume with your earbuds on Android this could be something worth trying.

On another on another note the multiparing worked very well today on my iPad and phone having both paired and swapping between the two very seamlessly. this is a feature I've only seen on the Jabra and the Huawei and for those of you who are looking for that feature I highly recommend either one of those earbuds.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #30,715 of 62,092
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #30,716 of 62,092
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #30,717 of 62,092
Anybody have the issue where they find their true Wireless earbud does not sound as loud as they want? I've noticed this was an issue for the Sennheiser and to a lesser but still true extend for the Huawei freebuds pro. However the Sony and the Melomania touch or significantly louder by comparison. I have an Android Samsung phone and decided to look up how to fix this on YouTube and discovered that by disabling the absolute volume it has a two-fold effect. the first effect is it decouples the Bluetooth volume on your phone and your earbuds such that they now work independently of one another after rebooting the phone. what this means is that you can have the volume on your buds at 100% but the phone's bluetooth volume still at 50 and so you're absolute output would still only be 50%. However if you then set your media volume on the phone to maximum and just control the volume with the earbuds it gets a significantly louder than when the two are synced together without the absolute volume disable button turned on in developer settings.

well I know this is a little less convenient because now it means when you change the volume it is not changing everything at the same time, it does give that extra volume if you need it to your earbuds.

I would estimate that the earbuds sound at least 10 to 15% louder after making this change in the developer settings. So for any of you who feel you don't have enough volume with your earbuds on Android this could be something worth trying.

On another on another note the multiparing worked very well today on my iPad and phone having both paired and swapping between the two very seamlessly. this is a feature I've only seen on the Jabra and the Huawei and for those of you who are looking for that feature I highly recommend either one of those earbuds.
The Melomania 1s don't get that loud, either. Not a bad thing for me, as I'm 55 with some hearing loss and serious tinnitus. But yeah, the Melomania 1's will have trouble cutting through a lot of street noise.

Your fix is aces for those on Android!

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #30,718 of 62,092
The Melomania 1s don't get that loud, either. Not a bad thing for me, as I'm 55 with some hearing loss and serious tinnitus. But yeah, the Melomania 1's will have trouble cutting through a lot of street noise.

Your fix is aces for those on Android!

If you're on Android you can activate the developer mode and then toggle on the disable absolute volume in the settings for developer settings. After that you can reboot the phone. You now will have separate volume controls for the earbud and your Bluetooth so you can then actually get it louder than previously. I just did this for my Huawei free buds Pro and they are noticeably louder.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #30,719 of 62,092
Thanks. Yes, I saw that Crutchfield had it as a "pre order" when I did a Google search before. Was just noting they are no longer readily available in the US and have not been for a while as the previous post that I responded to seemed to suggest.
I wonder how many of these they actually sold that they're on backordered. Clearly people have had orders and received them so it can't be a pre-order. I wonder if they also had some manufacturing issues the way the DeVialet Gemini did and to a lesser degree the Melomania touch. And maybe they're trying to have everything tuned better before a more massive release.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #30,720 of 62,092
I wonder how many of these they actually sold that they're on backordered. Clearly people have had orders and received them so it can't be a pre-order. I wonder if they also had some manufacturing issues the way the DeVialet Gemini did and to a lesser degree the Melomania touch. And maybe they're trying to have everything tuned better before a more massive release.
I think KEF just has limited supply here in the US. Same issue with their speakers...heard people were having trouble finding LS50 Metas when they first came out and they are still out of stock at many places (including KEF Direct and Crutchfield). Don't think I saw anyone complaining too much about the mu3 so didn't think there was anything to indicate that they pulled the mu3 like the others you mentioned. Seems like a solid product and I would have picked one up too if I were still commuting (and who knows when that will start again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back