Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #29,191 of 62,025
Exactly my view. What the artist intended for you to listen to...

Some people here have told me to try the 85t to compensate for the MT’s failings. Has anyone compared the MTW2 with the 85t?

Here 85t are in the 200€ mark (discounted from 230€) and MTW2 around the 240€ mark (discounted from 300€)

Is there a MTW3 coming soon? If the mishaps were improved I’d have to up my budget and maybe go for them.

Yesterday I had sudden signal drops with the MT, which had not happened before. It took them a few seconds and... the music came back on. About three times during a work day. They’re starting to annoy me more. I still like them but...

Listen to any hip hop concert and see if they intended to have no sub bass.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #29,192 of 62,025
Bass is supposed to rumble and it is supposed to be felt. People who like a completely flat sound obviously have no clue what other genres are supposed to sound like. Hip hop with no impact in the background feels awkward to listen to.

You start to mix things up now. Headphones often appreciated by "audiophiles" more or less portray what was originally recorded/mixed/mastered. That means if there is sub-bass (on the recording) you'll hear it IF the headphone can reproduce it.

It is desirable that good headphones reproduce the whole frequency range somewhat evenly. Ideally good headphones sound great on hiphop as well as on acoustic live sets, maybe with only one vocalist and a guitar, with the guitar still sounding like a guitar (especially for someone who's playing as well). Bass heavy headphones sure sound good with hiphop or electronic music but often not so much on acoustic tracks, jazz or classical music. Once a guitar does not sound like a guitar anymore it may be just too much bass.

And lastly people within this community tend to be older because headphones are expensive (even chi-fi, if you buy many of those) and it also takes some time to listen to a lot of them. People find what they like in headphones over years. It's something that develops itself over time and ultimately some people like bassier headphones, some like more neutral headphones or v-shaped sound signatures. Saying someone has no clue is not only unkind but also short-sighted.

Edit: I guess it also depends what and how many genres one is listening to. People only listening to hiphop or techno sure have different needs. If you listen to many very different genres you'll desire headphones that handle every genre. Personally I listen to singer songwriter stuff but also shoegaze, techno and many more. That said I like headphones that work throughout my taste of music an not only for the bassier stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #29,193 of 62,025
jabra-company-store via eBay has Jabra Elite 85t Wireless Earbuds (Certified Refurbished, Titanium Black) on sale for $119.99 when you apply coupon code PREZDAY20. Shipping is free. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabra-Elite-85t-Titanium-Black-Certified-Refurbished/164667800671 75t is something like $77

I went straight away for them. They don’t send them here. But thanks.

06276350-4F9B-4832-815B-837A270831A3.jpeg

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #29,194 of 62,025
You start to mix things up now. Headphones often appreciated by "audiophiles" more or less portray what was originally recorded/mastered. That means if there is sub-bass (on the recording) you'll hear it IF the headphone can reproduce it.

It is desirable that good headphones reproduce the whole frequency range somewhat evenly. Ideally good headphones sound great on hiphop as well as on acoustic live sets, maybe with only one vocalist and a guitar, with the guitar still sounding like a guitar (especially for someone who's playing as well). Bass heavy headphones sure sound good with hiphop or electronic music but often not so much on acoustic tracks, jazz or classical music. Once a guitar does not sound like a guitar anymore it may be just too much bass.

And lastly people within this community tend to be older because headphones are expensive (even chi-fi, if you buy many of those) and it also takes some time to listen to a lot of them. People find what they like in headphones over years. It's something that develops itself over time and ultimately some people like bassier headphones, some like more neutral headphones or v-shaped sound signatures. Saying someone has no clue is not only unkind but also short-sighted.

Edit: I guess it also depends what and how many genres one is listening to. People only listening to hiphop or techno sure have different needs. If you listen to many very different genres you'll desire headphones that handle every genre. Personally I listen to singer songwriter stuff but also shoegaze, techno and many more. That said I like headphones that work throughout my taste of music an not only for the bassier stuff.

Thank-you for your on point reply.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #29,195 of 62,025
Listen to any hip hop concert and see if they intended to have no sub bass.

Well, you can sample some of the music I listen to right here:

I trust you may find some ecletism in there...

So, when people who love music search for headphones, and they want something practical like a pair of true wireless earbuds, they want them to sound good with Radiohead and Miles Davis and Kendrick Lamar and Tame Impala and Idles and... whatever you want to throw at them.

Definitely, IMO, headphones shouldn’t be built or factory tuned for... these will be good for Bob Marley... these will be good for Daft Punk... these will be good for Billie Holiday...

A flat frequency response may seem less exciting at first, even the name - flat - but this is what should be intended, this is what the better brands try to look for (albeit keeping their “signature” in there). Linear is a better name.

Then, when you have a good, linear, trustworthy base, you can (and should be able to) customize them to “your” preference or to whatever genre of music where you might believe there’s tweaking to be done. Freedom is the key... your taste, your sound.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #29,196 of 62,025
Well, you can sample some of the music I listen to right here:

I trust you may find some ecletism in there...

So, when people who love music search for headphones, and they want something practical like a pair of true wireless earbuds, they want them to sound good with Radiohead and Miles Davis and Kendrick Lamar and Tame Impala and Idles and... whatever you want to throw at them.

Definitely, IMO, headphones shouldn’t be built or factory tuned for... these will be good for Bob Marley... these will be good for Daft Punk... these will be good for Billie Holiday...

A flat frequency response may seem less exciting at first, even the name - flat - but this is what should be intended, this is what the better brands try to look for (albeit keeping their “signature” in there). Linear is a better name.

Then, when you have a good, linear, trustworthy base, you can (and should be able to) customize them to “your” preference or to whatever genre of music where you might believe there’s tweaking to be done. Freedom is the key... your taste, your sound.

Sooooo this ^^^ This is ultimately my goal when searching for new headphones. If a company tunes a headphone to a bloated bass, and recessed mids, and veiled treble (let's say for example), it is usually done to cover up the technical issues that the drivers have, and therefore these cannot usually be tuned in a different direction (to suite your ears). In contrast a linearly tuned headphone will allow you to tune them to almost ANY way you like, because they are more likely to be able to technically handle ALL the frequencies correctly.
Bass is supposed to rumble and it is supposed to be felt. People who like a completely flat sound obviously have no clue what other genres are supposed to sound like. Hip hop with no impact in the background feels awkward to listen to.
By your statements alone, you are the one (in this case) who doesn't really have a clue. You are passing off opinion (and your personal opinion at that) as fact. You are misled by the headphone/speaker industry. By the way they tune some of the mainstream stuff, they are telling you JUST that. But, does it match what the artist intended? If you do some searching, you will see that there are very few recording artists that use headphones that have that bloated bass or veiled treble. They use studio monitors, which are tuned very linear, or flat. This is what it means when you see "how the artist intended", not what the headphone manufacturers TELL you is intended. This is a marketing ploy to get you to buy their product. You will see the terms "Fun", and "Analytical" around here. Fun are not accurate, but tend to sound good to certain types of listeners. Analytical is just that; accurate....

Who told you that bass is SUPPOSED to rumble or to be felt? In some stuff, I would agree, but I have also heard many a song that has more subtle bass (and was intended to be that way), and if you have a set of phones that have all bass, you will NOT be hearing it as was intended. I have headphones that can do both when the song calls for it. Also, rumble is not the same thing as impact at all when describing bass. I have some headphones that have no rumble at all, but have plenty of impact.

It sounds to me like your only genre is hip-hop (or at least the genres that focus on bass more than any other thing). I find it a bit offensive that you would say that people who like flat sound have no clue with other genres. To say that people have a distorted view of bass, and that they have no clue means to me that you think the world revolves around hip-hop, and there is no other genre worth listening to unless you are old. This is a biased view, and shows your ignorance (and age) about music in general.

The definition of an audiophile is:

Definition of audiophile

: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

This short definition alone implies accuracy, or the "way the artist intended". What you are arguing is there is no other genre worth listening to (or that the "type" of sound you like is the only one), and everyone else should agree with you. I respect your opinion (but only as an opinion, not as fact), let others have theirs (whether you agree or not). If you don't like the way people think on this community, find another one that is more to the line of thinking you are on.

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #29,197 of 62,025
I got a pair of the Jabra 85t this week, and I think they're excellent. Other TWS sets I own are Fiil T1XS and Technics EAH-AZ70W, so I don't have many others to compare to. I do really like how the AZ70 sound, but the fit, lack of passive isolation, poor mic quality, and difficulty with the touch controls in cold weather were drawbacks. Catching up on the thread recently, I hoped the 85t would fit the bill in terms of sound and fit/finish/usability, and that's absolutely true.

Once I got the eq on the 85t dialed in, there's nothing to complain about for how they sound, only minor nitpick is that detail resolution is only average-to-good, but not great. Beyond that I'm extremely impressed with the tuning and especially the sound stage/imaging. I would be extremely pleased with the sound stage and imaging of this set in a similarly priced wired set of IEMs. Also the ability to pair with two devices at once works quite well, I can listen to music from my phone and then take a work meeting on my laptop without messing with settings/defaults.

The ANC is fantastic. The app is great, with clever features for managing favored presets for different usage scenarios. It's super comfortable, although those oval stock tips were useless to me. I'm using the Acoustune AET07 tips, and they're fantastic for seal, comfort, and sound with the 85t. Like I said above, I'd be happy with how these sound if this was a wired IRM in the same price bracket. But this isn't wired, it's a wireless set with great comfort, build quality, and ANC.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #29,198 of 62,025
I got a pair of the Jabra 85t this week, and I think they're excellent. Other TWS sets I own are Fiil T1XS and Technics EAH-AZ70W, so I don't have many others to compare to. I do really like how the AZ70 sound, but the fit, lack of passive isolation, poor mic quality, and difficulty with the touch controls in cold weather were drawbacks. Catching up on the thread recently, I hoped the 85t would fit the bill in terms of sound and fit/finish/usability, and that's absolutely true.

Once I got the eq on the 85t dialed in, there's nothing to complain about for how they sound, only minor nitpick is that detail resolution is only average-to-good, but not great. Beyond that I'm extremely impressed with the tuning and especially the sound stage/imaging. I would be extremely pleased with the sound stage and imaging of this set in a similarly priced wired set of IEMs. Also the ability to pair with two devices at once works quite well, I can listen to music from my phone and then take a work meeting on my laptop without messing with settings/defaults.

The ANC is fantastic. The app is great, with clever features for managing favored presets for different usage scenarios. It's super comfortable, although those oval stock tips were useless to me. I'm using the Acoustune AET07 tips, and they're fantastic for seal, comfort, and sound with the 85t. Like I said above, I'd be happy with how these sound if this was a wired IRM in the same price bracket. But this isn't wired, it's a wireless set with great comfort, build quality, and ANC.

Never tried Jabras, but have a set of Klipsch T5 Sport and am surprised with how much sound can be produced by its 5mm drivers. Only other TWS I own is a Master & Dynamic MW07 (gen 1) and they have 9mm drivers. I will say I am pleased with how well the T5 fits. Klipsch tips are oval shaped and come in multiple sizes including splitting medium into 3 sizes. One of the few non customs I own that feel formed to my ear canals with the included tips. I do have some interest in listening to KEF Mu3, but I have shot a big enough hole in my wallet for 2021,

Do the Jabras come with control app?

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #29,199 of 62,025
hey guys i have a bunch of true wireless iems from cheap ones to higher end ones. i just pulled out my anbes 359 OMG! these things still sound absolutely awesome!!!! i mean seriously these give competition to alot of my higher end buds. anyone still using theres? any new super budgets that sound this good?
The Anbes 359 are still going strong for me as well. Thought they were about to die for good because they would barely charge and wouldn't last for more than 30-45 mins. Was ready to retire them but then had the thought to reset them. After doing that 3-4 times, they are back to normal. I've heard several newer budget TWEs lately, but haven't heard noteable ones like the Fiil T1 pro, but i had the T1X last year and really liked it. but to end my rambling, the cheaper TWEs i've heard still fall short of the Anbes 359. The 359 for the $32 i payed for them are great across the board. Could bass be a bit more controled and have better texture? yes but it certainly isn't muddy sounding at all. When i first got them i always wanted just a bit more treble than they offered, but generally speaking that has improved and mids have opened up more as well. Several have posted about these things many many pages ago. The total package has earned them a steady spot in my rotation for 21 months now. the only other TWE that's been in constant use for me durring that time and for 4 months longer is the MTW1. That one took me 2 months to get behind.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #29,200 of 62,025
The Anbes 359 are still going strong for me as well. Thought they were about to die for good because they would barely charge and wouldn't last for more than 30-45 mins. Was ready to retire them but then had the thought to reset them. After doing that 3-4 times, they are back to normal. I've heard several newer budget TWEs lately, but haven't heard noteable ones like the phiil T1 pro, but i had the T1X last year and really liked it. but to end my rambling, the cheaper TWEs i've heard still fall short of the Anbes 359. The 359 for the $32 i payed for them are great across the board. Could bass be a bit more controled and have better texture? yes but it certainly isn't muddy sounding at all. When i first got them i always wanted just a bit more treble than they offered, but generally speaking that has improved and mids have opened up more as well. Several have posted about these things many many pages ago. The total package has earned them a steady spot in my rotation for 21 months now. the only other TWE that's been in constant use for me durring that time and for 4 months longer is the MTW1. That one took me 2 months to get behind.
I think the closest to 'cheap and impressive' for me would be the Tronsmart Spunky Beats. Also not to forget, the Haylou GT1 ...
But those Anbes will always hold a very special place in my rotation / heart. Those were my first budget chi-fi TWS I ordered all the way back in 2019 .. before the hoarding .. errr... collecting started :D

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #29,202 of 62,025

They fit in the case with acoustune tips?

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #29,203 of 62,025

Are you concerned about using tips that done have the wax guard in them?

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #29,204 of 62,025
I really love the bass impact of the L2P. It’s awesome. But the treble is just so sibilant and metallic and harsh that I can’t listen to them anymore. Even something as simple as a tambourine can be fatiguing on the L2P. I didn’t do a formal burn-in but after a couple of weeks i never saw an improvement.

I moved on to the Grado GT220 and I’m happy with them so far. No fatigue.
Hey I was thinking of getting the Grado's actually. Pretty good? What kind of music do you listen to?

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #29,205 of 62,025
It's been a really slow period for TWS. Nothing really new being brought to the table. Kinda boring. I mentioned a month ago that TWS may have peaked and I stand by my assertion. Until we get a new breakthrough in BT, I think we are pretty close to the limit. Not to say this is a bad thing - there are some excellent choices out there but the innovation seems to have stalled. Maybe Audeze has something in the works?
I'd love some Audeze TWS. I go on their site on a regular basis to see if they come out with them. Listening to a 5.6 Mbps Pink Floyd "The Wall" DSD on my LCD-2's right now and the sound is unbelievable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back