Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 24, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #28,621 of 62,115
Gave mine some ear time and they connected right away. Sound great, more ear time but think they got it figured out. Hope so.

They connected right away for me too. I want to see if they disconnect again. Seems good so far!

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #28,623 of 62,115
Gave mine some ear time and they connected right away. Sound great, more ear time but think they got it figured out. Hope so.
Just updated mine. Went smoothly. Will know over next couple days of use to see how the update was.

Same...but I'm still having some issues. It seems the re-pairing process, while seemingly more stable and consistent, takes longer than before. I'm also have some weird volume issues where the volume is jittery and going up and down, but I can't tell if it's my phone or not (OnePlus 8t).

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #28,624 of 62,115
I've been listening to the Galaxy Buds Pro the last couple days, so I thought I'd drop some impressions here. I won't focus too much on the technical traits, as honestly, I don't care about that stuff very much. I was surprised by how small the case is, though! It's a little thicker than the AirPods Pro case, but feels more compact. The controls of the Buds Pro do seem somewhat finicky; for example, I don't like how they inadvertently pause or swap through the ANC modes each time you physically adjust them. You also lose access to a lot of flexibility on iOS (as there's no app).

IMG_6597.jpeg

But as for the actual sound, well, I have to say...they sound really good. I couldn't get them out of my ears the evening they arrived and almost fell asleep with them on! They’re warmer, more V-shaped than their predecessors; the bass shelf doesn’t level out until slightly past 600hZ. The quality of the bass is good overall, sporting appropriate levels of slam and texturing; however, bloat does seem imminent at times which I’d attribute to a lack of intangible control. While the upper-midrange presentation doesn’t seem to have changed much, this more gentle slope to the bass region makes the Buds Plus a tad less lean (a criticism of most Harman-oriented IEMs) in the notes. Another welcome change is the treble. Treble is almost perfectly linear throughout the impact and crash regions. Yeah, it’s still fairly elevated, and while I don’t think extension is much better, this is impressive considering how rare normal treble is in most cheaper IEMs. The FR graph corroborates this, and I don't hear sibilant or tinny treble; your mileage might vary and all that.

Technical ability is, of course, more middling and I don’t think it’s really an improvement over the OG Buds or Buds+ in this regard. In fact, I suspect some might find the OG Buds and Buds+ slightly more resolving because they’re brighter, leaner in the notes with the Buds+ in particular having a much more incisive bass shelf. Nonetheless, the Buds Pro have an extremely pleasing tonal balance. Good enough, in fact, for me to say that not only is this the best TWS I’ve heard yet, but that the Buds Pro are also competitive with many of their similarly-priced, wired counterparts. Hope these impressions are helpful!

TL;DR Definitely some technical limitations - particularly if you're on iOS - but the sound itself is quite good, even class-leading for TWS.
Precog, have you heard the Samsung Beans? Judging by this new design. Samsung Bud Lives might be a :thumbsdown:.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #28,625 of 62,115
Hi folks! Does anyone know if the Hifiman TWS400 and TWS600 are one and the same?

In Indonesia there's a model called the TWS400 which I find impossible to find the reviews for (those that I found are from India and Indonesia). I can find the TWS600 which have the same outward appearances though..

Do you raise the volume using your phone or using the buds?

I found volume shanenigans when using the Sabbat X12 Ultra (or anything with Qualcomm 3020) when I change the volume using the buds. Only one side changed. But if I change the volume from the phone, no problemo. The issue is that the phone allows the buds to save their own volume level, and the phone has a separate volume level.

I don't find that issue on other phones (Realme) which only have one volume level (= the phone's), and changing the volume through the buds would only change the phone volume.

But your case might be different.

Hello ! I raise the volume mainly using my phone. However, in my case, when I raise the volume, when one side goes up, the other side goes down. It means that at full volume, I hear only the right earbud and at very low volume, I hear only the left earbud.

The 3SE also use the Qualcomm 3020, could there be a link ?

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #28,626 of 62,115
I received the Soundcore Life Dot 2 NC yesterday from Walmart. I think these are the same earphones as the Soundcore Life A2 NC, which are now available on Amazon, with only cosmetic differences (e.g., the color of the control button is black on mine, but grey on the A2s). Specs are otherwise identical, and both cost $79.

For the price, these are a really easy choice. They are, hands down, the most comfortable earphones I've ever worn -- it's seriously easy to forget you're wearing them. They are extremely light and rest largely outside the ear (like the Liberty 2 Pros) and are held in place with a small fin (three size choices included) -- but they're small enough so they don't protrude much. They have 11mm dynamic drivers that really pump out the bass and, overall, have a smooth consumer-oriented sound. The sound quality is not quite on par with the higher end Soundcores or the Jabra 75t (or, certainly, the 85t) -- and while these might not be the earphones I'd pick to sit in an easy chair and listen (that would be my MTWs), they have a great "walking around" sound that's also perfect for watching video.

The ANC is surprisingly good at this price point. Since I can't get on the subway or a plane at the moment, I tested via YouTube videos and compared against my APPs, Jabras and the Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pros, and the ANC was broadly comparable. ANC is to a significant extent dependent on the quality of the fit and seal of the earphones, and the good thing about the Life Dot 2 NC's is that (in addition to the five sizes of tips that are supplied) many, many third party tips fit on the earphones and in the case, so most people should be able to find a good fit and seal. I can't overstate how much I appreciate that, because my ears are hard to fit and nothing is more frustrating than earphones that are otherwise terrific but just don't quite fit with the supplied tips -- and don't easily allow third party tips (and yes, I'm looking at you Jabra 85t).

Battery life is billed at 7 hours (not yet tested by me), build quality is good for the price, and the range seems terrific (I went down for coffee this morning and lost the connection only briefly on the way down the stairs at the other side of the house). Another thing that sets these apart of many other earphones in their price range is the wonderful Soundcore app, which allows changes to the control scheme, ANC and transparency settings, and firmware updates -- and also has about the best equalizer options I've seen. There's even an iOS widget that allows on the fly changes to ANC options.

Finally, the call quality seems to be superb. There are six microphones total and my guess is that the four external mics are used for noise reduction and "beamforming" (whatever that is) during calls. I haven't tested from the subway platform yet (for obvious reasons), but I'm told the connection from indoors and out was terrific and suitable for work calls.

Overall, if you're looking for an extremely comfortable, nice sounding earphones for daily use at a price that won't knock your socks off, these are a great option.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #28,627 of 62,115
My SoundPeats H1 Premium's came today, I am not really a reviewer but this is what I typed on Kickstarter.

=================================================================================================================

"H1 Premiums arrive today, set them up and little disappointed to see the same cheap pairing as the Sonics in that they try to auto pair each time they are disconnected from a device so not ideal.

Not sure if they remember 2-3 devices like all my other SoundPeats Neckbands or simply forget/repair each time.

Also the App in a nightmare to sign up to as the email box is just out of screen so you cannot type in it, I manage to get my email in by copy/pasting and messing about to finally hit the Verification Button.

I did not see any option to check/update Firmware, they have an EQ setting and a ANC setting which I assume does nothing on these.

Also same as Sonics in that QUALCOMM's claim of aptx-Adaptative being backwards compatible is bollocks as it falls back to aptX on my Moto Z2 Force instead of aptX-HD so if I listen to amazon HD or any Hi-Res it will be stuck with 16/44.1, I would be better of listening on my SoundPeats Force HD in aptx-HD.

The sound is not that great TBH (I would rather disable the EQ fully and use PowerAmp's EQ but you cannot) but the volume unlike the Sonics is pretty loud using SpinFits tips as none of the included tips are large enough for me as like the Sonics they did not include their XL tips."

=================================================================================================================

(The sound is ok now I am used to the change and depends on what you listen to and what bitrate, but would be better to not have 2 EQ's conflicting/cancelling each other out).

The Premium difference AFAIK is only the is SoundPeats Voice Prompt and it works fine with OK.Hey SoundPeats, then do as you would as if you pressed Google voice button and ask it to do something like Play/Pause/ Next Tract or ask it the time or weather.
Hi,

Thanks for your quick review. It seems that you are not happy with your H1, isn't it? I was surprised when you said your phone didn't switch to aptX HD mode! Could it be a bug in the H1 firmware? According to Qualcomm, aptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with aptX HD. Did you force the aptX HD codec in the developer settings of your Z2 Force? I think that the pairing issue could be fixed with a firmware update. Did you report it?

On the other hand, do you know Kenneth Tanaka? If not, it's a japanese YouTube reviewer and he reviewed the H1 and compared it with other earbuds. The H1 did not fare well in a latency test using the gaming mode. Surprisingly, the AAC codec on the AirPods Pro has much lower latency that the gaming mode on the H1! See THIS video.

Well, I was going to buy the standard H1, but I think I have changed my mind after reading your first impressions.What other alternatives are there with aptX Adaptive, low latency and good sound and fit?

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #28,628 of 62,115
Well,been using my Earin A3’s since last Wednesday, and I absolutely love them. Never thought I would get used to any open design. But the A3 sound incredible to me.
Okay what about the touch control scheme and the aspect of sensitivity and accidental pressing if you want to adjust fit. Spill. :)

When did they become available? I was monitoring their website. Can you offer more sound impressions? Thanks.
Yep, thought it was being crowdfunded so it would be at least another month.

Two in here say they have them as well. https://www.reddit.com/r/Earin/comments/l1nuyc/my_very_quick_initial_review_of_the_a3/
What did we miss?? :) People there not liking the fit. Had the same with the Goal. Foams fixed thay right up. Problem with A3 being Earpod style and trying to be small is, while you can fix that style with foams or attachments in many situations and might need to, the A3 design doesn't allow this like the Goal does. Unless somehow the pins could poke through the foam and still contact to charge and they would still fit in the case right. Not likely any mod will work with the case. The idea of small and small case is great but that plays into the Earpod style weakness. If they are too small to fit right they lose the bass. These of course are a much more buy them from where you can return them type with no fit options.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #28,629 of 62,115
Hello ! I raise the volume mainly using my phone. However, in my case, when I raise the volume, when one side goes up, the other side goes down. It means that at full volume, I hear only the right earbud and at very low volume, I hear only the left earbud.

The 3SE also use the Qualcomm 3020, could there be a link ?
Probably. I suggest going to Developer Options and toggling Absolute Volume.
https://screenrant.com/android-absolute-bluetooth-volume-explained-disable/

I find that you need to restart your phone so the change can take effect.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #28,630 of 62,115
Gamesky Status video...

Not sure about the charge port on the bottom of the case. Gamesky unfortunately never really directly compares sound so the talk about the sound quality being good could be put into more perspective since he just reviewed the Buds Pro, Liberty Air pro 2, and the Touch as well. Maybe in the comments. Of course these would be less risk and better value at the $99 than $169.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #28,631 of 62,115
Any JBl club pro plus users here? I am feeling like a bud whore here trying to find best set for me.
JBLs just got here by Amazon.

first impressions case is nice and buds seem pretty comfortable.

Sound volume on stock setting seemed anemic out of the box.
Some of the DJ tunings sounded good but again volume seemed low.

Then it was like pulling back the current to the VIP sound room when I discovered the custom EQ!!!

Holy Crap! This EQ is insane. Many bands but more importantly you can dial in the exact frequency on them to tune it near infinitely. Also that anemic sound can get so much louder! The base miss and treble can really sing! Why they have it sounding so weak volume wise out of the box is beyond me. Most average consumers probably won’t take the time to adjust that complex but incredible equalizer. But if they do......wow!

More playing needed but for pure sound and out of box comfort colour me impressed!

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #28,632 of 62,115
Precog, have you heard the Samsung Beans? Judging by this new design. Samsung Bud Lives might be a :thumbsdown:.
Beans is not an iem. It lacks seal. Need I say more? Impossible to do get defined or good bass out of it, and ANC really suffers due to bad seal. earpods/airpods were really terrible due to lack of seal, and live was even worse. Also, I find Samsung ANC mediocre in general even with the new Pros.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #28,633 of 62,115
Another question for JBL users. Do you have issues with the workers charging case. Seems to not like my Samsung Qi charger blinking and stopping to charge after a few seconds.
Seems to reverse charge ok on my phone though. The Red light doesn't always turn off... Wonder if the case is defective.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #28,634 of 62,115
Gamesky Status video...

Not sure about the charge port on the bottom of the case. Gamesky unfortunately never really directly compares sound so the talk about the sound quality being good could be put into more perspective since he just reviewed the Buds Pro, Liberty Air pro 2, and the Touch as well. Maybe in the comments. Of course these would be less risk and better value at the $99 than $169.

Being as I ordered these for $79 on Indiegogo (one of the first 300) and already own/love the CA Melomania Touch (Gamesky also had praise for the sound, and it seems the issues with connections/charging are now resolved via FW update), I think I am set. Haha. Famous HF last words. But honestly, if the Status phones are as he says (and I am also a happy status customer, with the BT One on-ear phones), very excited to hear these interesting BT IEMs.

Got notice tonight; they have shipped. Should be here in a few days.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #28,635 of 62,115
Where can Canadian get the MT?

I think they pulled them from the market. Now with new firmware they might return back to Amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back