Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #28,546 of 62,079
I disagree there. One of the issues with TWS right now is that most of them care more about the tech and less about the sound. I've owned:

M&D MW07
Senn MTW
Jabra 65T
Jabra 75T
Sony sp700n
B&O e8
Bose Soundsport Free
Jaybird Vista

Currently I keep the Vista above all the others, because since none of them are good "daily driver" replacements for even my cheaper wired IEMs then I'll go with the ones that have the most secure fit in my ears and some bells and whistles. The MW07 did sound amazing, but the 1.5 hour battery life made it a no go. The point is that none of them were good enough to cause me to reach for them rather than even stuff like my chi-fi stuff. If Grado made a set that's actually on par with a $100-150 IEM but is also wireless, then that's a no-brainer, app be damned.

Let's be honest, what does anyone do with the app? EQ? For almost any situation it's just there to make them connect.

Equalizer, hear-through and app support for firmware updates at the very least.
My Jabra has heartrate monitor and a great app which I really like.
I could live without the ANC and gestures but even features Ike Find My Buds are super helpful.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #28,547 of 62,079
Equalizer, hear-through and app support for firmware updates at the very least.
My Jabra has heartrate monitor and a great app which I really like.
I could live without the ANC and gestures but even features Ike Find My Buds are super helpful.

Those are nice little bonuses but if you ask me what matters most about the headphones, I'm gonna say the sound. People seem to think firmware updates are like OS updates where it'll add all these brand spanking new features. If it works perfectly well out of the box, boom. It's done.

I get that people want extra bells and whistles but this idea that a set is totally unacceptable for focusing on (gasp) the sound kinda makes me laugh. Like, if you give me two sets at the same price, one sounds meh but is jam packed with neat features and one that's barebones but sounds amazing... it ain't hard to pick. I'm not gonna spend a ton of time futzing with features, but listening.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #28,548 of 62,079
I don't hear(or read) the Grado is either overated nor universally positive. Definite unimpressive reviews out there and some good ones and can lead one to believe they need to be fit right to have the optimal sound. FWIR the most positives have come from less experienced where they are not compared to the best but things like the first Hifi-man TWS600 and not many at all vs. the top of the crop for sound. Too little to say I wouldn't be disappointed for $259 vs. my $145 Victor or that the Grado would sound better than the $150 Touch. Might be more interesting if they dropped price Like the Klipsch which have already been 50% on the T5 II, $129 for the Sennheiser CX400BT etc. So not many people in this thread have pulled the trigger.

The HiFiMan TWS600 wasn’t that great to be honest. It was a bit too mid heavy with a spike in the middle of the midrange. I’m not sure how the TWS800 fares though, but it’s something I want to eventually try.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #28,549 of 62,079
My galaxy buds pro arriving today!
A free here have said they sound great but that the treble can be harsh. Will be curious to see if I have the same opinion.

Crinacle gave these his best rating for a TWS. The buds+ are reported to have significantly harsher highs and those were still not too bad for me.

My use case may be different but I want 4 things from a pair of truly wireless earbuds.

1. Comfort and fit. If the buds can't stay in my ears securely or comfortably during the activities I am using them for, there is no point for them.

2. Sound quality. They need to sound above a certain baseline. I want my music to sound good with clear highs good mids and sufficient bass that has energy in the music.
3. Connectivity. If they keep breaking up or getting static or losing connection then they aren't for me.

4. Feature set. At the very least I want an ambient mode, volume and track control on the buds. I prefer to have ANC even if not class leading so that my listening enchantment won't have distracting noise.

5. Usability in many different settings. Thus an IP rating that would allow use for working out or in places that they might get wet as in the rain, sweat....This also means they need to get loud enough to use
where there might be a lot of noise that even ANC can't block.

6. Battery life and case size. Since the goal of these are to be a mobile form. If battery too short or case too big then advantages of wirefree design are not beneficial.

So with that being said I am still trying to find that perfect TWS bud.

Sony XM3- Case size,no IP rating,insecure fit means despite great sound they aren't for me. Might as well use on or over ear headphones.

Liberty 2 Pro- Close once EQ'd
but no ambient mode or ANC.

Technics AZ70W- Too bulky case with some battery drain issies,and slightly with buds. Not secure enough while working out. Volume not loud enough and bass is a bit lacking. So close but a bit weak in a few caregories.

Galaxy buds +- Close. Great size comfort case and controls. No ANC.
Bass ok but not best and highs a bit harsh. If sounded a bit better would be the one especially if had ANC.

Jabra Active 75t- case, comfort volume so good. ANC sufficient. Sound is good but bass need to be EQ'd down and mids up to sound acceptable. Best in class up rating for supports and water activity.
Also close. If sound was a bit better and Qi charging, would be the winner.

Jabra Elite 85t- So far my top content all around. Very musical sound! One EQ'd in app, great lows without hitting mids. Treble is detailed and not thin like 75t. Only sound complaints is the treble is a bit soft compared to say the XM3 which has a bit more bite. This is a personal thing and maybe those of you finding the new buds pro might prefer the Jabra 85t.
Otherwise has great ANC and ambient modes. Controls everything from the buds. Multi pairing which is unique among most earbuds. Great case and size. Ipx4 so can use with working out without worry.
First workout with it was good but not great. Never fell out but due to how they fit they were more noticeable and distracting in my ears than the 75t,buds+ or L2P. Think if I could find a better tip this would be solved.

Galaxy buds Pro- TBD. But if they improve the bass and treble of the+which according to Crinacle they do, these could be the one for sound. They added ANC and improved the mics and ambient from an already good buds+. Battery especially with ANC off is great and 2nd only to buds+but with more charges in the case. Hopefully comfort want sacrificed in the redesign. One negative from reviews for me was the removal of the land feature to ten the scene of the bud for volume control as in the buds+that allows me to get every possible control on the buds like Jabra. Hopefully that can be added as an update if these win it for the other features but certainly not a deal breaker since it has voice activated bixby which can perform the tasks of turning on ambient mode or ANC without pulling the phone out. It also has an intriguing feature where if ANC is on and you start to talk to someone it automatically recognizes you and lowers music and puts you into ambient mode without having to press any buttons. Only other headphone I know of with this is the Sony XM3 headphones.

Also if you are a Samsung phone user you get the following address benefits: Samsung scalable codec which can sale up to 24 bit 96k sound which is much improved over standard AAC. Once phone software updated it will have Dolby 360 sound. It can read it you emails and other notifications and messages to you if you want....

Will update you guys with my sound impressions
When they arrive.

Buds I haven't decided to test yet:

Bose- at that size, case, and price would just go for over ear....

MTW2- Most expensive by 100$ over the Jabra or Samsung here in Canada. Case seems a bit big and fabric? Really? Seems to have to reports sound and does not all the other points except maybe a bit bulky like the Technics. Might be last resort.

Cambridge MT- not readily available in Canada and won't consider before a firmware update as there seem to be alot of issues and unknown if fixable.

Devialet Gemini- same as the MT. Except also pricy.

Liberty Air 2 pro- interesting as great price and apparently sound quality not far off from the L2P. Disappointing controls as can't control volume from the buds. And the stem design in these seem long and awkward. Might be worth a try.

JBL club pro+- might be an option too. Finally available in Canada. Price right around the Jabras and marginally cheaper than the buds pro. Very tunable with apparently very good sound has good case etc. ANC not the best apparently and have heard they aren't most comfortable after a while but everyone ears are different. Interestingly they are also owned by Samsung who own Harman which makes AKG and JBL.

If anyone has any other buds they think are worth trying that might meet all my goals let me know.
You should have a serious look at the fiil t1 pro. It meets most if not all of your requirements. I'm impressed with mine.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #28,550 of 62,079
Just when I thought my issues with the Melomania Touch were over, I noticed the case was losing power (LED lights going from 5 to 2 in a couple of days). Not good. Same issue as the first version of the Senn True Wireless phones. I wrote CA customer support: this was their response. We’ll see.

We have been made aware of this on a small number of units and have already come up with a firmware fix that will be provided via the app soon. We are currently in the process of testing it fully and combining its release with a number of other improvements, so please give us some time for you to receive it.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #28,551 of 62,079
Those are nice little bonuses but if you ask me what matters most about the headphones, I'm gonna say the sound. People seem to think firmware updates are like OS updates where it'll add all these brand spanking new features. If it works perfectly well out of the box, boom. It's done.

I get that people want extra bells and whistles but this idea that a set is totally unacceptable for focusing on (gasp) the sound kinda makes me laugh. Like, if you give me two sets at the same price, one sounds meh but is jam packed with neat features and one that's barebones but sounds amazing... it ain't hard to pick. I'm not gonna spend a ton of time futzing with features, but listening.

For me I need an app with an equalizer for my iDevices so while sound quality is at the top of my list, when out and about I also want hear-through and I’m not doing any critical listening when outdoors so convenience with some features tops that for most people including myself, hence the need for a solid app.
i.e Jabra for example added ANC to the t75 which shows you how far we have come with TWS.
If Grado is all for the sound that’s cool but they will be missing the mark for those who want some features to go along with their TWS especially when their asking price is $260.
Sony, Sennheiser, Technics, Panasonic, JBL and many other brands proved that you can have high tier SQ with a solid app, it’s not one or the other when they could have done both.
Grado choosing to go with no app at this price range feels like a half-baked product at their retail price.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #28,552 of 62,079
My Jaybirds have a robust app and I like puttering with the EQ but I'd rather great sound than tweak crap with an app. ANC on an IEM isn't critical.
For you. Depends on use case. If I am alone in my room I might as well use my over ear headphones. If I am exercising commuting travelling etc then earbuds with ambient and ANC make more sense

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #28,553 of 62,079

You used word headphones not earbuds. To me they have different use cases.
Earbuds are lighter better seal no wires. So having ANC ambient and other tools on them to control them are important.
If I am alone and can immerse myself in my music o would rather use my headphones with 40 or 50mm drivers.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #28,555 of 62,079
Earfun pro is an option but the fiil is hard to get in Canada and my Chinese is not up to snuff to manage the app
The earfun pro is pretty good also, just more bass heavy and lack track back function if it matters to you. There's a youtube video to explain the options on the Chinese app, after setting them, there's no more need to tinker with it.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #28,556 of 62,079
Jabra Elite 85t- So far my top content all around. Very musical sound! One EQ'd in app, great lows without hitting mids. Treble is detailed and not thin like 75t. Only sound complaints is the treble is a bit soft compared to say the XM3 which has a bit more bite. This is a personal thing and maybe those of you finding the new buds pro might prefer the Jabra 85t.
Otherwise has great ANC and ambient modes. Controls everything from the buds. Multi pairing which is unique among most earbuds. Great case and size. Ipx4 so can use with working out without worry.
First workout with it was good but not great. Never fell out but due to how they fit they were more noticeable and distracting in my ears than the 75t,buds+ or L2P. Think if I could find a better tip this would be solved.

Eager to hear how you think Buds Pro compares to Elite 85t.
Other than the fact I find the Buds Pro a bit sibilant, another thing I think they don't do too well, is pulling you into the music. Like how when I so something while listening to Sony N3 for example and find myself more often getting sidetracked and just starting to get engulfed into the music. Sony should figure out how to put the N3 in a waterproof TWS already.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #28,557 of 62,079
Eager to hear how you think Buds Pro compares to Elite 85t.
Other than the fact I find the Buds Pro a bit sibilant, another thing I think they don't do too well, is pulling you into the music. Like how when I so something while listening to Sony N3 for example and find myself more often getting sidetracked and just starting to get engulfed into the music. Sony should figure out how to put the N3 in a waterproof TWS already.
Well I can assure you in my brief listening so far the treble is definitely softer on the 85t. So if that is an issue for you I think it would be a good option and is very tunable with the in built EQ

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #28,559 of 62,079
Fiil android app and translation for use with t1 pro and lite as they don't have English app support yet.

Download apk from
http://fiil.cn/cn/download.php

Lov3xXL.jpg

JwyxglZ.jpg

cWKz5rX.jpg

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #28,560 of 62,079
Has anyone compared the FIIL T1 Pro with the T1 X? Wondering if it'll be a good upgrade. Or is there something else to try? :ksc75smile:
I’ve been itching to try the t1 pro, but settled for the Earfun Free Pro, since they’re supposedly the same model with a slight bass emphas in the latter. Well, they’re going back to Amazon. I muuuuuch prefer the sound of my trusty T1X. It was the hollow midrange. The T1X were a breath of fresh air after the Earfun Free Pro.

I will miss the size, fit, and ambient mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back