Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #28,486 of 62,124
My SoundPeats H1 Premium's came today, I am not really a reviewer but this is what I typed on Kickstarter.

=================================================================================================================

"H1 Premiums arrive today, set them up and little disappointed to see the same cheap pairing as the Sonics in that they try to auto pair each time they are disconnected from a device so not ideal.

Not sure if they remember 2-3 devices like all my other SoundPeats Neckbands or simply forget/repair each time.

Also the App in a nightmare to sign up to as the email box is just out of screen so you cannot type in it, I manage to get my email in by copy/pasting and messing about to finally hit the Verification Button.

I did not see any option to check/update Firmware, they have an EQ setting and a ANC setting which I assume does nothing on these.

Also same as Sonics in that QUALCOMM's claim of aptx-Adaptative being backwards compatible is bollocks as it falls back to aptX on my Moto Z2 Force instead of aptX-HD so if I listen to amazon HD or any Hi-Res it will be stuck with 16/44.1, I would be better of listening on my SoundPeats Force HD in aptx-HD.

The sound is not that great TBH (I would rather disable the EQ fully and use PowerAmp's EQ but you cannot) but the volume unlike the Sonics is pretty loud using SpinFits tips as none of the included tips are large enough for me as like the Sonics they did not include their XL tips."

=================================================================================================================

(The sound is ok now I am used to the change and depends on what you listen to and what bitrate, but would be better to not have 2 EQ's conflicting/cancelling each other out).

The Premium difference AFAIK is only the is SoundPeats Voice Prompt and it works fine with OK.Hey SoundPeats, then do as you would as if you pressed Google voice button and ask it to do something like Play/Pause/ Next Tract or ask it the time or weather.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #28,487 of 62,124
The Melomania Touch arrived so I try them and this is my opinion. As an music producer, I am very critical how something sounds and I assure you that Melomania Touch are one step in front of musicality in wireless earbuds you can buy for the price and even compare to really expensive earbuds and in-ear or over-ear headphones. They sound better than my studio professional Sennheiser studio on-ear headphones in price range around 200 euros.

Sound is dynamic that you get tingles, incredible musical, separation of the instruments and stereo field is amazing. Every instrument has its own space and you can hear so much details. This kind of depth and warmth I have with my ONKYO A-9010 amplifier connected with my Pro On-Ear Studio headphones. Great work Cambridge Audio! Works excellent with type of music like The Weeknd , Dua Lipa, and also with different styles like R&B, Pop, Dance, EDM, Rock, Jazz, and almost everything you throw at.

I need to mention that you will fall in love from the music and a High Performance mode, a hi-fi grade amplification technology, which is derived from their CX amplifiers that gives great dynamic and harmonic warmth to any sound. All frequencies are clear to hear, neutral balanced profile is great but also exposing a little bit of low mid-range, mid-range and high frequencies without adding the lowest frequency works very well. There is no strain on your ear when listening longer time because how harsh frequencies are managed. High frequency has perfect analog sound, very lush, no harshness.

It is very important to find your size of silicon tips as this can better lock into your ear and reproduce better listening. Also check video from Cambridge Audio website how to put correctly into your ear canal because just a small micro rotation can improve the overall listening, I got best listening experience when I completely rotated ear fin forwards to lock in the ear shape.

I didn't have any problems with connection after I first upgraded them on a new firmware. I recommend that you first charge them to full and immediately after update the latest firmware. My Pixel 4A didn’t have any problems to automatically connect them individually.

Every time I take them out of a box they turn on and they automatically connect with my Pixel 4A. I use aptX codec as I disabled AAC as I getting less latency. It there is any issues I suggest to reset them by putting earbuds into box and touch them both and hold for 20 sec.

Their App is very useful and you can play with transparency mode, equalizer, and find location of your earbuds. Transparency mode works well when you don’t want to take earbuds off and you want to listen surroundings.

Touch controls work great, as I didn’t have problems when I am putting them into ear. I was holding them on the side. You can also torn off these controls in the app, but I keep them on. Passive noise cancellation is excellent and I didn’t hear too much noise outside. Voice call is great as my calling person told me she hears me clear and loud.

Life of battery is excellent, it depends what mode you are using, on High Performance mode I managed to get more than 7 hours on one charge with aptX and charging case has 5 times that amount. On Low Power mode battery lasted around 9 hours, but I prefer High Performance mode.

Charging case is small enough for putting in a pocket and really looks beautiful. Earbuds have that shining gloss finish and they look really cool.

Highly recommend them.

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_160558058.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210118_160558058.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210118_160726538.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210118_160726538.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210118_160938423.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210118_160938423.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #28,488 of 62,124
Had a wild hair and picked up the Devialet Gemini. Zero issues so far outside of that it took me three tried to update the right earbud but it did work. I must say, the sound is just sick. Wide soundstage and a more lively than my MTW2's. Bass hits hard. Still having issues with finding the right earbud tips. Case isn't as large as I thought it would be. No volume controls. Really hope they add them with a firmware update. ANC is very very good. Up there with the Sennies as long as you have a great seal.
Maybe it's just me but I found that seal is much less important with the Geminis compared to almost any other buds. First, I don't think the fit is meant to go deep. When these are fully inserted they feel like most other buds do when they are loose. Second, they still manage to sound pretty good even when they are actually loose, and I'm wondering how much the touted Ear Active Matching is a thing here. OTOH these are not supposed to be vertical but sort of nested at an angle, so maybe I'm just genetically lucky with my antihelical fold :ksc75smile:
Outer-ear.png

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #28,489 of 62,124
Maybe it's just me but I found that seal is much less important with the Geminis compared to almost any other buds. First, I don't think the fit is meant to go deep. When these are fully inserted they feel like most other buds do when they are loose. Second, they still manage to sound pretty good even when they are actually loose, and I'm wondering how much the touted Ear Active Matching is a thing here. OTOH these are not supposed to be vertical but sort of nested at an angle, so maybe I'm just genetically lucky with my antihelical fold :ksc75smile:
Outer-ear.png
I agree. The tips are meant to be shallow. I get the best sound with the stock tips. My only issue is that sometimes the feel like they’re going to fall out. That said, maybe the tips need breaking in a bit so they hold better. Really loving them so far and have zero issues.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #28,490 of 62,124
Before sending the CA MTs back I toyed with the (pretty good) in app EQ and liked what i heard. Taming the bass gave room for literally everything else. Enough to be somethat happy with them, apart from the sometimes wayward pairing. Given i'd only paid about 120€ i kept thinking about keeping them. So i asked about the microphone issue that was mentioned by me and others (from avforums) ...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-13 um 14.18.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-14 um 16.23.23.png

Unfortunately it seems this cannot be solved. I was in a dead silent room for a zoom call and people thought I'd turned my mic off, that's how silent i was. Calling somehow seems to work slightly better, but far from good. While sound is my main priority i still want in ears that work according to their specs. CAs answer was the nail to the coffin, at least for me ...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-14 um 20.51.59.png

I'm kind of and yet not really surprised that most people don't really care, but yeah, they do sound good and are comfortable given their price tag. CAs customer service was helpful and very friendly. That being said i'm not really surprised the MTs are not available on amazon (germany, where i bought them) atm.

Now eying the galaxy buds pro but not really sure yet (bixby, eq only presets and some other things) ...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #28,491 of 62,124
I agree. The tips are meant to be shallow. I get the best sound with the stock tips. My only issue is that sometimes the feel like they’re going to fall out. That said, maybe the tips need breaking in a bit so they hold better. Really loving them so far and have zero issues.
Glad you're having zero issues. Same for me other than that I have to double open-close the lid whenever I am done listening and check my phone to see that Bluetooth has been disengaged, or I get a battery drain. A fix for that and volume controls are tops on my wish list for firmware updates.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #28,492 of 62,124
The Melomania Touch arrived so I try them and this is my opinion. As an music producer, I am very critical how something sounds and I assure you that Melomania Touch are one step in front of musicality in wireless earbuds you can buy for the price and even compare to really expensive earbuds and in-ear or over-ear headphones. They sound better than my studio professional Sennheiser studio on-ear headphones in price range around 200 euros.

Sound is dynamic that you get tingles, incredible musical, separation of the instruments and stereo field is amazing. Every instrument has its own space and you can hear so much details. This kind of depth and warmth I have with my ONKYO A-9010 amplifier connected with my Pro On-Ear Studio headphones. Great work Cambridge Audio! Works excellent with type of music like The Weeknd , Dua Lipa, and also with different styles like R&B, Pop, Dance, EDM, Rock, Jazz, and almost everything you throw at.

I need to mention that you will fall in love from the music and a High Performance mode, a hi-fi grade amplification technology, which is derived from their CX amplifiers that gives great dynamic and harmonic warmth to any sound. All frequencies are clear to hear, neutral balanced profile is great but also exposing a little bit of low mid-range, mid-range and high frequencies without adding the lowest frequency works very well. There is no strain on your ear when listening longer time because how harsh frequencies are managed. High frequency has perfect analog sound, very lush, no harshness.

It is very important to find your size of silicon tips as this can better lock into your ear and reproduce better listening. Also check video from Cambridge Audio website how to put correctly into your ear canal because just a small micro rotation can improve the overall listening, I got best listening experience when I completely rotated ear fin forwards to lock in the ear shape.

I didn't have any problems with connection after I first upgraded them on a new firmware. I recommend that you first charge them to full and immediately after update the latest firmware. My Pixel 4A didn’t have any problems to automatically connect them individually.

Every time I take them out of a box they turn on and they automatically connect with my Pixel 4A. I use aptX codec as I disabled AAC as I getting less latency. It there is any issues I suggest to reset them by putting earbuds into box and touch them both and hold for 20 sec.

Their App is very useful and you can play with transparency mode, equalizer, and find location of your earbuds. Transparency mode works well when you don’t want to take earbuds off and you want to listen surroundings.

Touch controls work great, as I didn’t have problems when I am putting them into ear. I was holding them on the side. You can also torn off these controls in the app, but I keep them on. Passive noise cancellation is excellent and I didn’t hear too much noise outside. Voice call is great as my calling person told me she hears me clear and loud.

Life of battery is excellent, it depends what mode you are using, on High Performance mode I managed to get more than 7 hours on one charge with aptX and charging case has 5 times that amount. On Low Power mode battery lasted around 9 hours, but I prefer High Performance mode.

Charging case is small enough for putting in a pocket and really looks beautiful. Earbuds have that shining gloss finish and they look really cool.

Highly recommend them.
Funny, but today I decided to give them a very long listening session, for the first time since I got them. I have to say you nailed it. At first, I had some of the connection issues (not staying connected, but getting both R and L working easily with my iPhone 8+). I figured it out, I press them into the case first, then insert the left bud (connecting voice comes on) and then the right one; it seems I need to press it a second to turn it on. So that many not be perfect, but it works 10 out of 10 times.

When using them not a single disconnect so far. And the sound is fantastic (as noted above), but it also does require the rudimentary proper tip size and insertion position (I do not use the stability wings, no need). They do in fact sound better than any of the TW BT in-ears I have owned and returned or sold, and that includes most, not all, but most of the name brands hereabouts.

Finally, I do not use the app. No need for it really. I use my onboard Kaiser Audio EQ to fine tune them just a tad.

I did finally use them for a call this morning, to my wife as we were both out of the house. Afterwards, I asked if she had any issues hearing me, etc. She said no, sounded like a typical iPhone call. So there's that. But calls are not my main reason for BT TW in-ears, sound quality is.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #28,493 of 62,124
So far my Jabra 85t have very nice musical sound. Whole I enjoyed the Sony's there was something that felt a bit artificial in the tonality. More electronic.

So now down to the Jabra 85t but of course I'm a suck and when Crinacle raved about the Samsung's new offering and again them hitting my list of features from IP rating tunable sound ANC Qi charging and great sound I had to order.

Will likely come down to one or the other but will be hard to beat the Jabra as a compete package

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #28,494 of 62,124
I did finally use them for a call this morning, to my wife as we were both out of the house. Afterwards, I asked if she had any issues hearing me, etc. She said no, sounded like a typical iPhone call. So there's that. But calls are not my main reason for BT TW in-ears, sound quality is.

Maybe mine and obviously quite and number of others could be not working properly. Or a different perception of call quality. Or parts of ears covering mics. Who knows ...

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #28,495 of 62,124
I asked earlier about tips for my earfun pros that would prevent them from falling out. I was recommended the Xelastics, but those are $64 plus $20 shipping from Amazon.ca
Any alternatives that don't cost a kidney?

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #28,496 of 62,124
Mine starting having a battery drain issue in the case. Specifically the R earbud is always dead. Any know fix? This is incredibly annoying and likely will result in a return.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #28,497 of 62,124

Highly recommend them.

Thanks. Exactly my thoughts. Sometimes they do fail connection on one of the buds but putting them back in the case, waiting for the “three time red blinking/charging lights” and the removing then one by one, they always blink white, at the same time announcing the connections and... they reconnect. Even with this “minor” gripe, comfort is good, touch controls work, transparency mode works, the case could be a little bit sturdier but is good, battery is great, the app is good (although I never use EQ). Had they a spotless connection, ANC and Qi charging and they could be closer to perfect. The good much outweighs the faults. Glad someone’s also enjoying their great sound.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #28,498 of 62,124
I am exploring mine more and learn Chinese along the way. Tried to get the iOS app, but the iTunes Store would not let me change country unless I have a valid payment method there. Bummer. And then the right bud starts talking to me ... I keep getting a message precisely every 5 minutes... I googled if it might be ‘recharge’ .. although, the buds show 100% ... so, anyone any clue what (and I apologize for my phonetic transcription) “chin chon bien” could mean?
I think it's saying "chin chon dian". Which means please charge the battery.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #28,499 of 62,124
Mine starting having a battery drain issue in the case. Specifically the R earbud is always dead. Any know fix? This is incredibly annoying and likely will result in a return.
I did notice mine didn't seat properly and were connected to my phone. Adjusted them and seems to be fine now. But I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #28,500 of 62,124
I did notice mine didn't seat properly and were connected to my phone. Adjusted them and seems to be fine now. But I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up.
Edit: Spoke too soon. Mine were in the case for half the day and the left earbud was charged but the right bud was at 6%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back