Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #27,376 of 61,901
^^ SoundPeats Sonic also.

AFAIK it does not have as low a latency as aptX-LL @ 40ms but will connect to aptX-LL devices as backwards compatible..

Overall it has latency of 50-80ms (adapting between quality and signal strength/distance/source content) which is lower than before for aptX and aptX-HD.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #27,377 of 61,901
AFAIK it does not have as low a latency as aptX-LL @ 40ms but will connect to aptX-LL devices as backwards compatible..
Are you sure aptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with aptX LL too? That is, can a device transmit LL data to earbuds supporting ONLY the Adaptive codec and still get the lowest latency supported by the Adaptive codec (50ms)? The Qualcomm site claims that Adaptive is only compatible with aptX HD and aptX... My guess is the LL data is converted to standard aptX, so high latency is unavoidable in this case.

Thanks again

PS. I can't find the Sonic. Even is not advertised on the Soundpeats site (the new H1 is).

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #27,378 of 61,901
Hope they get a UK release....

[which QUOTE="jant71, post: 15994132, member: 22616"]
Got a delivery from Amazon a few minutes ago. My last TWS till the new wave come with 5.2 and LC3+. Took some quick pics.

size comparison with some not all :)

Off to test them out a little.

First take is very positive. On all fronts actually. Like the case. Happy with the improvement over my JVC on the hear through and mic quality improvement. Sound impresses with the size and space, the bass reach, the resolution, and the space and roominess of the sound. No smear or congestion and you can hear everything in it's own space. Love the small size and easy fit and comfort. A little push and twist seems to be the right way to insert quick and easy. Case is small and solid and type C just no Qi. Quick solid connection, perfect touch controls. Easy enough to grab them on the sides and never accidentally touch the panel. Can get quite loud so not close to max volume on my devices. Can't think of anything negative to say.
[/QUOTE]

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #27,379 of 61,901
Hoping to get some feedback and suggestions. I m looking for a new pair of TWS that will be used on conference calls, that at times, is a slightly noisy office. Currently I switch back and forth between the Jabra Elite 65t and Plantronics Voyager 6200. Both have their pluses and minuses and I am probably tying to fill an unattainable voided. Nonetheless, here I am. LOL. Here is what I am looking for and how the current handle those situations.
  • ANC
  • Ability to turn off hear through
  • Won't overly pick up background noise
  • A good seal (none of this new proprietary weird oval crap)
  • Companion app for adjustability
The Plantronics do a great job of blocking out background conversation and have great call quality. However, you can only turn hear through to "low". If I want to listen to music between calls, they're terrible. Although music is the last of my concerns for these.

The Elite 65t pick up everything in the background. The call quality is good from what everyone says, but I always get asked what's going on in the background. These things pick up everything!

If I can find something that works I am not concerned with the price. Does anyone have experience with conference calls in variable environments that can make suggestions?

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #27,380 of 61,901
Are you sure aptX Adaptive is backwards compatible with aptX LL too? That is, can a device transmit LL data to earbuds supporting ONLY the Adaptive codec and still get the lowest latency supported by the Adaptive codec (50ms)? The Qualcomm site claims that Adaptive is only compatible with aptX HD and aptX... My guess is the LL data is converted to standard aptX, so high latency is unavoidable in this case.

Thanks again

PS. I can't find the Sonic. Even is not advertised on the Soundpeats site (the new H1 is).

From my readings yes if a receiver only had 1 codec and that was aptX-LL it would still connect to it and play but will not be 40ms.

I am not sure if it will use the original aptX as that is what happens if you connect an aptX only device to an aptx-LL only device (but any LL device will normally have aptX also so both codecs).

Look at my posted history, I posted the Sonics last week and updated the other day but so far they are on Ebay.com (I am in UK) so I ordered them directly from SoundsPeats China via Ebay.com.

Ordered on the 17th and they are now with the Royal Mail (sat at customs a few days due to Covid etc) so will be here on 27th, not too bad.

SoundPEATS Sonic Bluetooth 5.2 True Wireless Earphone CVC 8.0 Noise Cancellation | eBay

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #27,381 of 61,901
I haven’t really been paying much attention to the TWS space of late but now my kid wants a pair for Xmas but her main use is video (YouTube, tiktok, Netflix). Is there anything cheap that has decent latency with an iPhone? I’m less concerned about SQ than price and lag.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #27,382 of 61,901
From my readings yes if a receiver only had 1 codec and that was aptX-LL it would still connect to it and play but will not be 40ms.
I was asking the opposite: when the receiver only has the Adaptive codec and receives LL data from a device (typical scenario for the H1). This is important for watching TV with negligible lag (I'm sensitive to this). As you know, there are very few Bluetooth transmitters supporting aptX Adaptive (you have to buy a BT DAC/amp). Most mainstream transmitter/receivers support aptX LL like mine (and other codecs too, but not the new one). Anyway, I have read some reviews and it seems the H1 has a special gaming mode. According to the manufacturer, the lag in this mode is very low - 40ms. approx, virtually the same as that of the old Low Latency codec. But take this with a grain of salt, because a reviewer measured 175ms latency with this mode on (high in my opinion).
Ordered on the 17th and they are now with the Royal Mail (sat at customs a few days due to Covid etc) so will be here on 27th, not too bad.

SoundPEATS Sonic Bluetooth 5.2 True Wireless Earphone CVC 8.0 Noise Cancellation | eBay
When it arrives, please comment on your first impressions.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #27,383 of 61,901
I haven’t really been paying much attention to the TWS space of late but now my kid wants a pair for Xmas but her main use is video (YouTube, tiktok, Netflix). Is there anything cheap that has decent latency with an iPhone? I’m less concerned about SQ than price and lag.

as far as i know almost all TWS, even the cheaper ones would have a good low latency on IOS devices for videos, so the choices would be plenty. you might also consider form and sizes that would fit her better, also whether she prefer open seal or IEM styled TWS

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #27,384 of 61,901
I was asking the opposite: when the receiver only has the Adaptive codec and receives LL data from a device (typical scenario for the H1). This is important for watching TV with negligible lag (I'm sensitive to this). As you know, there are very few Bluetooth transmitters supporting aptX Adaptive (you have to buy a BT DAC/amp). Most mainstream transmitter/receivers support aptX LL like mine (and other codecs too, but not the new one). Anyway, I have read some reviews and it seems the H1 has a special gaming mode. According to the manufacturer, the lag in this mode is very low - 40ms. approx, virtually the same as that of the old Low Latency codec. But take this with a grain of salt, because a reviewer measured 175ms latency with this mode on (high in my opinion).

When it arrives, please comment on your first impressions.

I do not know of any transmitters with aptX-Adaptive so far, only ear/headphones.

I seen a good review on the H1's and the gaming mode was down to 50ms dependant on what device it was connected to and what the content playing was, obviously they fair better with Android devices than Apple.

He had a GUI on the screen and yes in one use it was a 3 figured read out.

It was on Youtube recently so will be one of newer one as there are not many reviews.

The Sonic also has gaming mode.

Here : The VERY BEST of 2020! - Soundpeats H1 Review + Latency & Call Test - YouTube

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #27,385 of 61,901
there's a new review of the Soundpeats Sonic on YouTube

seeing the form factor, it might be better fit for smaller ears. it's already available on my local online market, but i still more intrigued to try the H1 more

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #27,386 of 61,901
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #27,387 of 61,901
Re-did my modded X12 Pro's with some 40Ω composite PU & Ti drivers. Wish they had these from the get go.

IMG_20201125_204741.jpg
-283214641-1268672790.jpg

820360789-33755054.jpg

IMG_20201017_070722.jpg

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #27,388 of 61,901
I do not know of any transmitters with aptX-Adaptive so far, only ear/headphones.

I seen a good review on the H1's and the gaming mode was down to 50ms dependant on what device it was connected to and what the content playing was, obviously they fair better with Android devices than Apple.

He had a GUI on the screen and yes in one use it was a 3 figured read out.

It was on Youtube recently so will be one of newer one as there are not many reviews.

The Sonic also has gaming mode.

Here : The VERY BEST of 2020! - Soundpeats H1 Review + Latency & Call Test - YouTube
Thanks for your explanation. but my question is still unanswered: Do you know if a device supporting only Adaptive (the H1 or any other) can receive LL data without converting them to aptX Classic first? Therein lies the key, because if they are converted, then the latency increases a lot.

Does anyone know?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #27,390 of 61,901
AFAIK there is no longer any aptX-LL in adaptive only aptX/aptx-HD where as the latency is reduced more than before for both but not as low as aptX-LL.
That's what I wanted to know. It's impossible to find TWS earbuds with both aptX LL and HD, and even less so with LL and Adaptive. For me LL is a must, because my BT adapter for TV transmits aptX LL, standard aptX and HD. It's likely the gaming mode of the H1/Sonic comes in handy for my purposes. But the H1 and Sonic are not widely available yet (they are not on Amazon Europe and the Sonic is only available on Amazon Japan).

So my only options are 1) try the Aurvana Trio Wireless neckband (supports all 3 codecs: LL, standard and HD but is a neckband) and 2) when available, try the H1 to see how that game mode works with my BT adapter. And yes, aptX HD or Adaptive is desirable in order to listen to my Tidal subscription in all its glory. Can you think of anything else?
Thanks you for any ideas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back