Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 31, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #27,032 of 62,023
initial thoughts on the JLab Epic Air Sport ANC. Haven't downloaded the app yet, but supposedly has a 10 band eq, that's awesome. These are well built and i get a good fit with stock tips and the hooks. They come with 6 pair of tips including a pair of foam tips, the charging case is not weighty but it's big. The USB-A cable is built in to the case, i really like the idea but should be a USB-C cable built in instead. Also these charge wirelessly, are rated for 15 hours without ANC and 11 with ANC, with 55 hours of charge in the case. haven't tested battery life yet. iems and case take 3.5 hrs to charge. battery in each iem is 120 MAH and case is 1,000 MAH.
controls, JLab crammed quite a few into the iems. pretty impressive really. a single tap on left or right is volume down and up respectively. press and hold for 1 second on left cycles between ANC off, "be aware" that's what JLab calls transparency mode/hear through/ambiant/environment etc and ANC. Press and hold for 1 second on right is track forward, double tap on left brings up your assistant, double tap on right is play/pause. 3 taps on either cycle between BassBoost , JLab Signature and Balanced. Though the prompt says 'valanced." lol.
For calls single tap on right to answer, press and hold for 2 seconds to reject and double tap to hang up. haven't tested for calls yet.
The ANC on these is weak at any price. i've heard better anc for cheaper, not by a huge margin, but definitely better. And the Apollo at same price has better ANC.
"be aware" There is a gradual transition from be aware to ANC, and from ANC to ANC off to a lesser degree, but when switching to be aware mode, the sound gets louder and louder then reaches it's peak after 2-3 seconds. It's kind of a louder version of the veiled Ambiant mode on the Technics AZ70 but the AZ70 is more focused. With the Epic Air Sport ANC in be aware mode, i noticed that if i was drumming on my desk etc it caused be aware mode to be canceled out and almost revert back to passive sound. That was kind of interesting, not to mention counter-intuitive. So i wonder if i got a defective pair, or if you can slightly lower the amount of the outside world you hear in the app to fix this issue.
Sound. i'm gonna mess with the eq in the app because of what i hear especially in the balanced sound. That is where bass has the best texture, mids sound the fullest and treble while exaggerated, is also the best. in bassBoost the mids are muffled, the bass isn't even good quality and it's just generally an aweful sound. the bass isn't even thumpy. It's honestly like when the mids were turned all the way down and bass all the way up on an old, factory car radio with crappy speakers. Signature sound has a similar bass, but improoved and better mids. ON balanced sound the bass has really nice texture and the mids don't sound as hollow. and i'm not just speaking generally here, all throughout the spectrom theres just a much fuller textured sound that makes the tuning of bass boost especially puzzling. Because of the empty sounding bass in BassBoost mode.
I think all things considered, if you want a pair to have for working outside or a pair you need to be able to take a beating at the gym etc, these might be a good option. They're IP66 as well, and they have a nice textured feel to each pannel that IMO lends itself to easier use for sweaty, or otherwise dirty hands.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #27,033 of 62,023
Very interesting day today testing out microphone quality in extreme weather conditions here in the UK.

Let's start with the model I lauded the most during the Summer

Edifier TWS NB2:

Wow. I really did get these wrong. Listening back to the summer recordings they sounded really good, by comparison the winter recording is atrocious.

Firstly, they are far better with ANC on. Noise suppression when not much is going on is good, sounds quite natural. As soon as the wind and traffic kick in your voice starts to sound a bit more muffled, not quite as bad as @Laethageal 's recording but I can see why his sounded the way it did - my call recording sounded much more like his than my summer call.

With ANC off - wow. They were absolutely awful. Worse than any of my budget sets and exactly like @Laethageal 's recording. Any ambient noise completely kills your voice. You don't get the loud woosh you get with some buds but it just kills everything to a muffled, muted noise. Not good.

ANC ON:

Clarity - 6/10
Affected by the environment - 6/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 6/10

ANC OFF:

Clarity - 4/10
Affected by the environment - 3/10
Suppression - 4/10
Naturalness - 5/10

Omthing Air Free:

So I'm still in the process of reviewing these, the mic indoors is fantastic but outdoors it has virtually no suppression. Traffic completely overpowers your voice, wind fares slightly better. When there's no ambient sound your voice is extremely natural and clear. Overall pretty impressed

Clarity - 8/10
Suppression - 3/10
Naturalness - 8/10

Alien Secret QCC010:

Great budget buds, not renowned for their microphone quality. No major surprises here, while your voice sounds clear at times it's quite robotic. Wind and traffic not only overpowers it, but the suppression has a similar affect to the Edifier with ANC off, it suppresses your voice and not much else. Still, I didn't buy them for the mic!

Clarity - 5.5/10
Suppression - 3/10
Naturalness - 5/10

1More Colorbuds:

Still reviewing these too. Sound quality on these is really nice and refined but they don't fit my ears well. Clarity is surprisingly good for in ears, and even with traffic you could still hear my voice very clearly and very loud too, peaking at times. The sound is a touch robotic compared to the omthing, but better than most.

Clarity - 7/10
Suppression - 6.5/10
Naturalness - 6.5/10

Boltune BT-BH024:

Never cease to amaze me. For £21 or whatever they were, the mic is surprisingly very good. Clarity is decent but a little inconsistent - moving them around changed the dynamics, there is virtually no high end suppression despite claiming CVC8.0 so rather than traffic flying past instead you hear the puddles splashing where the traffic flew past. These were tested on a main open road with probably the worst conditions and yet they performed better than some of the more expensive buds. Voice sounded much more natural than some of the others.

Clarity - 8/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 7/10

FIIL T1 Pro:

Love these earbuds and their microphone actually performs better outdoors than I expected. MAF GUAM or whatever it is sounded very clear, a little robotic but your voice separates from the wind and traffic well. Without MAF guam your voice sounds natural but the traffic is very compressed and sounds robotic. Your voice still overcomes the conditions. With ANC on it sounds a little more robotic, still fairly natural. A skoda flew past me at around 40mph and you can't hear it. It suppresses worse than with MAF selected.

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 7/10
Suppression - 8/10
Naturalness - 6/10

Tronsmart Apollo Bold:

I wasn't that impressed during the summer. At the park they over suppressed kids playing and other high frequencies and made me sound like I was talking through a sponge. Different story today - clarity and naturalness are pretty good, I was at a train station when I tested them and you couldn't really hear the train or cars going past to it did a great job suppressing, but at times you couldn't hear me through the suppression, which I expected. They performed better with ANC on, contrary to my first test during the summer.

ANC ON:

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 8/10
Suppression - 8/10
Naturalness - 6/10

ANC OFF:

Clarity - 7/10
Affected by the environment - 7/10
Suppression - 7/10
Naturalness - 6/10

Whizzer E3:

Haha. I love these earbuds but my god the mic is bad. Even without any background noise I sounded a long way from the mic and very robotic. I was undercover at this point and just sounded really over suppressed and not natural. Wind and other conditions weren't obvious but still, definitely not an option for the daily commute.

Clarity - 4/10
Suppression - 6/10
Naturalness - 4/10

Summary

Well, it surprised me. The FIIL T1 Pro and Tronsmart Apollo Bold showed their premium quality by outperforming the rest. Just behind them, the Boltune BT-BH024 never cease to amaze me. Such a bargain! The Omthing also surprised me, they aren't for those who live in rainy countries but without too much ambient noise they are natural sounding and clear. Next, the 1More Colorbuds and Edifier TWS NB2, the latter being the best I tested during the summer, struggle with the conditions a little. The former just amplifies your voice 'in the red', which is acceptable given the high quality audio. The Edifier on the other hand just over compresses everything as soon as the scene gets complex. I noticed as soon as I got to the post office to change phones, the Edifiers performed really well. This suggests overcompression.

The Alien Secret and Whizzer E3 should not be considered for commuters.

League Table from todays test:

Joint 1st - FIIL T1 Pro and Tronsmart Apollo Bold - both decent performers regardless of weather conditions
2nd - Boltune BT-BH024. Surprisingly great performers at a budget price.
3rd - 1More Omthing Airfree - Clear and natural, but fair weather performers
4th - Edifier TWS NB2 - Fair weather performers that over-suppress in complex scenes
5th - 1More Colorbuds - Overall pretty decent all-rounders but peaking your voice so it's louder than the other loud stuff is not really going to do your hearing much good

Now, bear in mind I've tried the Airpods Pro and Galaxy Buds Plus, none of them compete with either model. They are way short in fact. But they are also a fraction of the price.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #27,034 of 62,023
These are $49.99 at Best Buy right now. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jlab-a...ireless-earbuds-black/6426501.p?skuId=6426501

They slowly get better but wonder how good they did. You get 11 hours with ANC on and 15 hours with it off and 70 hours/50 hours total. Lower latency mode switchable and the three EQ modes both on board and an app not needed as well as not leaving any track or volume control out. Wireless charging as well and IP66 on the waterproofing. Jlab is really the only one that throws everything in at the budget level. Shame they have little competition. Maybe they could have 4 Mics each side instead of three but they throw most everything they can in there. Nice if there was that high quality version of what Jlabs does and had beamform mics as good as in Klipsch and Apple and great drivers and sound tuning in the EQs and top ANC at the $150 price point.

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #27,035 of 62,023
@hifi80sman (not sure why it didn't quote) I like the 75ts a lot! These are my daily drivers when I'm at work. I bought best buys extended warranty with it so if I break them for what ever reason they are covered.
Nice! I'm definitely enjoying them so far, especially after taming the upper mids/lower treble a bit. I was reading the official literature on the 85t and they were described as semi-open, which if paired with ANC that's lesser than Bose, didn't sound like a winning proposition for me. I'll probably still try it for myself, but I'll wait until they are on sale.

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #27,036 of 62,023
initial thoughts on the JLab Epic Air Sport ANC. Haven't downloaded the app yet, but supposedly has a 10 band eq, that's awesome. These are well built and i get a good fit with stock tips and the hooks. They come with 6 pair of tips including a pair of foam tips, the charging case is not weighty but it's big. The USB-A cable is built in to the case, i really like the idea but should be a USB-C cable built in instead. Also these charge wirelessly, are rated for 15 hours without ANC and 11 with ANC, with 55 hours of charge in the case. haven't tested battery life yet. iems and case take 3.5 hrs to charge. battery in each iem is 120 MAH and case is 1,000 MAH.
controls, JLab crammed quite a few into the iems. pretty impressive really. a single tap on left or right is volume down and up respectively. press and hold for 1 second on left cycles between ANC off, "be aware" that's what JLab calls transparency mode/hear through/ambiant/environment etc and ANC. Press and hold for 1 second on right is track forward, double tap on left brings up your assistant, double tap on right is play/pause. 3 taps on either cycle between BassBoost , JLab Signature and Balanced. Though the prompt says 'valanced." lol.
For calls single tap on right to answer, press and hold for 2 seconds to reject and double tap to hang up. haven't tested for calls yet.
The ANC on these is weak at any price. i've heard better anc for cheaper, not by a huge margin, but definitely better. And the Apollo at same price has better ANC.
"be aware" There is a gradual transition from be aware to ANC, and from ANC to ANC off to a lesser degree, but when switching to be aware mode, the sound gets louder and louder then reaches it's peak after 2-3 seconds. It's kind of a louder version of the veiled Ambiant mode on the Technics AZ70 but the AZ70 is more focused. With the Epic Air Sport ANC in be aware mode, i noticed that if i was drumming on my desk etc it caused be aware mode to be canceled out and almost revert back to passive sound. That was kind of interesting, not to mention counter-intuitive. So i wonder if i got a defective pair, or if you can slightly lower the amount of the outside world you hear in the app to fix this issue.
Sound. i'm gonna mess with the eq in the app because of what i hear especially in the balanced sound. That is where bass has the best texture, mids sound the fullest and treble while exaggerated, is also the best. in bassBoost the mids are muffled, the bass isn't even good quality and it's just generally an aweful sound. the bass isn't even thumpy. It's honestly like when the mids were turned all the way down and bass all the way up on an old, factory car radio with crappy speakers. Signature sound has a similar bass, but improoved and better mids. ON balanced sound the bass has really nice texture and the mids don't sound as hollow. and i'm not just speaking generally here, all throughout the spectrom theres just a much fuller textured sound that makes the tuning of bass boost especially puzzling. Because of the empty sounding bass in BassBoost mode.
I think all things considered, if you want a pair to have for working outside or a pair you need to be able to take a beating at the gym etc, these might be a good option. They're IP66 as well, and they have a nice textured feel to each pannel that IMO lends itself to easier use for sweaty, or otherwise dirty hands.
I agree the Bass Boost mode is completely useless. I would definitely recommend downloading the app, updating the firmware, and playing around with the 10-band EQ. ANC is serviceable, especially since it's a closed design. The ambient mode is definitely amplified, so it's not near-natural like some of the higher end stuff (Bose, etc.). Still useful here and there, but not something I would leave on.

Overall, they are well-built with a nice case, good assortment of fit options, sound fun, tons of features, full touch controls, well designed app, and have good drivers to where you can play around with the sound. They're not world-beaters, but they'd make a wonderful gift for that special someone (like your brother in law)!

EDIT: Just saw that you can adjust the ambient mode sensitivity through the app. This may be good in preventing "overload" of the mics whilst drumming. :p

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #27,037 of 62,023
Saw the new JBL Club Pro + are also out at Best Buy. Anyone taking a flyer?? One video so far...

...you get a look at them and the app but no real SQ or ANC evaluation as of yet.

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #27,038 of 62,023
I agree the Bass Boost mode is completely useless. I would definitely recommend downloading the app, updating the firmware, and playing around with the 10-band EQ. ANC is serviceable, especially since it's a closed design. The ambient mode is definitely amplified, so it's not near-natural like some of the higher end stuff (Bose, etc.). Still useful here and there, but not something I would leave on.

Overall, they are well-built with a nice case, good assortment of fit options, sound fun, tons of features, full touch controls, well designed app, and have good drivers to where you can play around with the sound. They're not world-beaters, but they'd make a wonderful gift for that special someone (like your brother in law)!

EDIT: Just saw that you can adjust the ambient mode sensitivity through the app. This may be good in preventing "overload" of the mics whilst drumming. :p
Hey thanks for the tip on the ambiant adjustment, i don't need to hear my own drumming, i just wanna subject everyone else to it haha. i'm gonna download the app right now. finally have some time to mess with them. Also between $25 gift card i got from prime day XM4 purchase and 2 other gift cards, i have $115 to spend on Amazon right now. Tempted to pick up the 75T for it's ANC and multipoint for $24. part of me thinks, wait. they might be cheaper on siber monday etc. Or something else might come up that i want.hmm..

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #27,039 of 62,023
Giving the Jabras a rest and using the XM3s today. I still just love the sound of these still, I have not used these in a couple of months.

Also, to anyone with the Tevis, has anyone got there new app to work on Android? It just crashes right away when I try and open it.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #27,040 of 62,023
Some day I will try a pair of the 1000XM3 but in the meantime I have to say the more I use the WF-XB700 the more I like them. They lack many of the bells and whistles other TW models such as app support and ANC but they shine where it matters which is the music.

If someone told me Sony would make a model with the letters XB in the model sound balanced I would have laughed BEFORE I bought these. I have tested and owned several XB products and none of them were balanced sounding ever. But this earphone is a very balanced product sonically speaking with a slight nod to the bass but nothing egregious and its midrange is very neutral (not overly warm) and decent treble extension as well. The sound stage and imaging is also very reasonable.

I find myself reaching for these over my L2P most days. I ordered the Status Between Pro on their Indiegogo promotion. I really hope they deliver as good as the XB700 sonically if not a bit more. Because if they do combined with their multipoint and transparent mode they will be almost everything I want in a TW. But until they arrive I will happily use the XB700.

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #27,041 of 62,023
After going to BestBuy several times buying and trying new Bose QC, Jabras 75Ts and 85Ts and JBLs Club pros I decided that 75Ts are the best all rounder with best sound
and everything else, except maybe ANC and battery life. Bose is still a little better in this department. But 75T has excellent passive noise cancellation plus not bad ANC.
I love the sound. It's dynamic and alive with superb bass and treble extension. And it's on sale. You can't go wrong here. Jabra nailed it with this product.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #27,042 of 62,023
Just cleaning house and since I can't sell 'em, I'll give them away.... FREE to a good home with one caveat. Pay for shipping to your location - CONUS only. They're super clean and just about like new. Fwiw, white silicon tips are new unused aftermarket - but we all have our own extra tips anyway... So if you could use a spare pair of tws earbuds... PM me.

Astrotec S80 Lite Motivation

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #27,044 of 62,023
It had been a while since i did a battery test of the Anbes 359. This morning i got exactly 3 hours and 21 minutes. not bad for a $30 pair of TWEs that originally had a 4 hour battery life.
That was one of my sets in my backpack that was stolen. :frowning2: really comfortable, great sound, just a fantastic tws for the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back