Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #26,251 of 62,086
Hi All,

Just joined Head-Fi! Wanted to get some opinions on next buy:

I primarily use iPhone and laptop for music, used the original AirPods and loved the convenience of connecting and having wireless earphones, now I'm looking to upgrade. The obvious choice would be air pods pro but a little hesitant about the sound quality (used to be into headphones and as a beginner had ATH M50, Grado but then took a break because of the money it would cost)

Here are a few that I'm looking at

MW07 plus
Momentum True Wireless 2
Libratone Track+ SE
B&O E8 3.0
Sony WF1000XM3

Priorities are sound quality, ease of use, noise cancelling is not a huge factor. I primarily listen to EDM (don't necessarily need the strongest bass but can't be lacking too much), vocals, sometimes instrumentals but also listen to many other genres.

The more I read the more it seems that the sound quality of Bluetooth can't go that high, so then I thought about over ears that have bluetooth but I can also plug in
PX7
H9 3.0
Momentum 3

Please provide any recommendations or thoughts?
The thing with TWS (or any other gear) is that your experience is likely going to be unique to you.
Are you able to buy and return on Amazon?

My rec is the Lypertek Tevi, then the Nuarl N6 Pro.
Mostly EDM and instrumentals for me as well and I like rumbling sub-bass but leaner mid bass above everything else. Vocals are better with the N6 Pro but the Tevi has EQ on Android.

On the subject of the N6P it’s pretty amazing how uncongested/unhurried they sound. I knew the tuning was going to be good for me but wasn’t sure whether HDSS was a gimmick. Definitely seems to be doing something.
And how much bass do you guys need? N6 Pro are definitely NOT bass light to me - mid bass could be a touch lighter 😂

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #26,252 of 62,086
Hi All,

I primarily use iPhone and laptop for music, used the original AirPods and loved the convenience of connecting and having wireless earphones, now I'm looking to upgrade. The obvious choice would be air pods pro but a little hesitant about the sound quality (used to be into headphones and as a beginner had ATH M50, Grado but then took a break because of the money it would cost)

MW07 plus
Momentum True Wireless 2
Libratone Track+ SE
B&O E8 3.0
Sony WF1000XM3

Priorities are sound quality, ease of use, noise cancelling is not a huge factor. I primarily listen to EDM (don't necessarily need the strongest bass but can't be lacking too much), vocals, sometimes instrumentals but also listen to many other genres.

The more I read the more it seems that the sound quality of Bluetooth can't go that high, so then I thought about over ears that have bluetooth but I can also plug in
PX7
H9 3.0
Momentum 3

I own airpods, airpod pros and Sony WF1000XM3 earphones with TWS. Only the Sonys have what I would consider as minimally acceptable sound quality for music. They have dynamic drivers, so the bass is decent. I bought mine for $99 on Amazon refurbed. Hard to beat that deal. And, the ANS is superior.

For talking on the phone, the Sony's are no good. They have an ambient mode, but it's nothing compared to the airpod pros. I use the airpod pros for talking on the phone.

For listening to music, I have Shure se846 IEMs. These are far superior to the Sony's. If I wanted to make them TWS, I would probably add the Fostex or Shure TWS modules to the Shure IEMs.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #26,253 of 62,086
Hi All,

MW07 plus
Momentum True Wireless 2
Libratone Track+ SE
B&O E8 3.0
Sony WF1000XM3

PX7
H9 3.0
Momentum 3

If I was to compare my B&O, Sennheiser HD 450BT to my B&W P7, my taste would tell you to go toward the newer PX7. The P7 wouldn't be good for listening while doing chores around the house as they didn't stand much movement before starting to fall, but I heard the newer version is more stable, fit wise. Yet, the SQ is great and it blows away my Sennheiser (but those are actually only the HD 450BT, not the momentum 3 so not a direct comparison) and B&O.

For IEM, I have only started playing with TWS IEM and am actually waiting on my first decent pair to arrive, so I'll let other give you suggestions. Some of the name I heard recently, Nuarl P10, MW07, Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro (if you don't get one of the hiss issue) and a few more I can't recall :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #26,254 of 62,086
I forgot to mention. Ultimate Ears just announced their Fit earphones. They have custom ear sleeves and a dynamic driver. I am guess the sound will be decent. But, it doesn't have ambient mode, nor noise cancellation. They are pretty cheap at $199. I can buy them for $159, so I am going to pick up a pair just to see how good they are. I don't think you can get custom ear sleeves that cheap anywhere else. If the sound is good, these maybe a good alternative for those seeking good sound quality in a TWS at an affordable cost.

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #26,255 of 62,086
That makes me sad. I enjoyed the sound of the B530 much more than the T10. I was really hoping these would be a B530 with more bass!
You're telling me man. They are better than the T10 especially the design, even though the case is ENORMOUS! but they don't even have as much definition as the Rimor, which I was not a fan of. I actually use the Rimor now more than any of my other Tranya's. The B530 R2 are a little to sharp for me. I actually just pulled out my B530 R2 and i'm noticing the balance is heavy to the left. Weird. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #26,257 of 62,086
Black version of Soundcore L2P on discount with 10hrs to go at 129$ cad (roughly 100USD) on Amazon.ca
Is it worth snagging it up?
1601928441303.png
Because of the app and the dual drivers, I think the L2P has some of the best sound in a TWS. If you don't care about other features like ANC and ambient, it's in my top 2, and that's a good sale.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #26,258 of 62,086
Interesting, comparing the WF-XB700 to the Soundcore Pro and they are fairly evenly matches audio wise. The souncore has better detail retrieval in the treble and mids bit is also a bit more metallic sounding, the Sony has a bit larger sound stage. The Sony also requires more tweaking of the signature as the bass is a bit over done and the mids and treble are a bit more subdued.

I think the Sony is a bit more comfortable to where but has more thumping sound walking. But both are pretty comfortable to wear.

I have not used the Sony for calls yet so can't comment on that area but do know the Soundcore holds its own very well in that regard.

Price wise the Sony is cheaper by about 30 dollars so should be the lesser IEM and in specs I think this holds true as it has less charge in the case and no app support but audio wise these are fairly evenly matched even though the Soundcore has a hybrid setup.

Hmmmm, just noticed the Soundcore 2 Pro is now only $129CAD at that price I think its the better TWS between the 2. But if you like the Sony house sound that might trump a few things.

One other thing, they both use physical buttons to control things and they both work OK but I prefer the buttons of the the Soundcore more than the Sony as they are more ergonomically place and are more tactile and easy to press.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #26,259 of 62,086
Because of the app and the dual drivers, I think the L2P has some of the best sound in a TWS. If you don't care about other features like ANC and ambient, it's in my top 2, and that's a good sale.
Interesting, comparing the WF-XB700 to the Soundcore Pro and they are fairly evenly matches audio wise.
/snip

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware they didn't have ambient mode, which is pretty much needed for my use case. Damn, think I'll pull the trigger anyway and see if they can fill the need without the common hiss issue, else it's amazon so easy return.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #26,260 of 62,086
Keeping on the Bose train, I think they are the best "consumer" ANC model available to date. The total package is solid. ANC is the best I've heard. It just sucks the ambient noise right away. Sq is typical Bose which is to say solid and fun sounding without being over the top. You either love or hate Bose sound and I'm in the former. Fit is great for me and it reminds me how much I hate true iems. I'd still give the sq edge to MTW, AKG, M&D but the Bose is a step ahead of APP and Sony. Best way to describe them is solid. Keepers as hifi80man would say. I do wish Bose would up the ante on sq one of these days but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I agree with the IEM statement. I find Bose's design incredibly comfortable and non-fatiguing, especially when it comes to the lack of air pressure caused by seal. Plantronics has adopted a similar design that's also quite comfortable, but I wish some of the other major brands would as well (Sony).

Right now, for me, Bose holds the TWS crown.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #26,261 of 62,086
I’ve been eyeing an upgrade on my Tranya T3’s for a while - they’ve been a great intro to TWS for the last year but are a little too bassy and warm even though I do like a warm sound.

So today my T1XS arrived and so far they are a disaster. There is a loud hiss making it sound like I’m in a rainstorm that only goes away if I use the app to reset to factory settings, but then when I get them out the box again later on the crazy hiss is back. I think they are switching on the internal mic and relaying the sound as I can hear my movements being amplified. I’ve tried to turn this off using the controls but the touch controls are so wildly erratic that I’m hard pressed to even get music to play or pause. Switching on “easy mode“ doesn’t seem to help much with the controls either - they are either unresponsive half the time or doing something when I’m just trying to adjust the fit in my ear.

Am I missing something with the touch controls or some function for switching the mic off?

Sound quality: detail is super impressive but they have that tinny-sounding quality I associate with an upper mids push. I expected something more balanced than the T3’s but these even sound tinny compared to my studio monitors which are pretty flat.

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #26,262 of 62,086
Nope. Same as yours.

The SoC (snapdragon 845) hardware supports it but Google hasn't enabled it in the software (pixel 3 xl).

When you tap to switch masters, does the BT20S say disconnected and then connected in the opposite ear of when you turn them on?

None of the Pixels support it. Google must think it's buggy or something. TWS+ with the Lypertek Tevi was pretty buggy with the OnePlus 7T from my experience.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #26,263 of 62,086
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #26,264 of 62,086
Hi All,

MW07 plus
Momentum True Wireless 2
Libratone Track+ SE
B&O E8 3.0
Sony WF1000XM3

PX7
H9 3.0
Momentum 3

Not that they are the best on your list, but if I could, I'd buy those Libratone again. I had them, and let them go. The form factor rocks. I read the company is no more or looking for funding again.

Oct 5, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #26,265 of 62,086
I agree with the IEM statement. I find Bose's design incredibly comfortable and non-fatiguing, especially when it comes to the lack of air pressure caused by seal. Plantronics has adopted a similar design that's also quite comfortable, but I wish some of the other major brands would as well (Sony).

Right now, for me, Bose holds the TWS crown.
Based on your ownership of it so far, has there been dropouts? I loved my Bose SSF, except the persistent dropouts or cutouts on one side were just too much to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back