Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 16, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #25,786 of 62,010
Anyone seen any news on the WF-1000XM4 yet? Have the XM3 and the Momentum 2 anniversary edition is calling me but would rather opt to stay with Sony if they have a new set that is hopefully sleeker, happy with everything else.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #25,787 of 62,010
@Caipirina @chinmie
Whenever I read a review on whether a TWS is good for phone calls, I don’t pay attention. I mean in 2020, who uses a phone to talk, verbalize, nowadays? Ha Ha
If you really want to talk to me when I’m listening to music, I’ll call you when I’m finished with my music enjoyment thank you very much.
This is actually a huge feature for me. I travel a decent amount, and I have a group of friends who are regularly in online voice chats as a group. When I was in Indonesia a few months back, the time zones synced up such that they were online pretty much every night when I had a half hour walk to dinner. So I’d join them and chat (using wireless earbuds) for most of my walks.

The other reason it matters is for using Siri. If it doesn’t have good mic quality and wind handling, youre out of luck with Siri. The Aukey EP-N5s I had a month ago were really bad at this, and I like using Siri when I’m out walking for stuff like changing music. It’s especially useful if you’re in an area where you might not To have your phone out.

It’s part of the reason I’m currently struggling to hurry up and find a new set of TWS before I leave again in a week or two. Comfortable, small case, neutral sound, USB-C, and good mic quality/noise handling seems to be an impossible combo to come by in the ~$60 range.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #25,788 of 62,010
Had done a little search for the BT20s pro and found them at Fasttech currently for $54.10 + free shipping to Germany! Tempting, but I own already this much TWS and wired IEM's - I can't never use them all as it shoud be.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #25,789 of 62,010
This is actually a huge feature for me. I travel a decent amount, and I have a group of friends who are regularly in online voice chats as a group. When I was in Indonesia a few months back, the time zones synced up such that they were online pretty much every night when I had a half hour walk to dinner. So I’d join them and chat (using wireless earbuds) for most of my walks.

The other reason it matters is for using Siri. If it doesn’t have good mic quality and wind handling, youre out of luck with Siri. The Aukey EP-N5s I had a month ago were really bad at this, and I like using Siri when I’m out walking for stuff like changing music. It’s especially useful if you’re in an area where you might not To have your phone out.

It’s part of the reason I’m currently struggling to hurry up and find a new set of TWS before I leave again in a week or two. Comfortable, small case, neutral sound, USB-C, and good mic quality/noise handling seems to be an impossible combo to come by in the ~$60 range.

Call quality is pretty important for me as well and probably many consumers who may not really care about SQ (and are likely not here on headfi). Since I have been stuck at home for the last 6 months, I have been using TWS more for calls than for music.

When I used to travel (pre-COVID), I would take 1 TWS for calls and my ES100 (now replaced with a 5K)+IEMs for listening to music. Mics on ES100 and 5K are not great so if I were to travel today it would probably be my Galaxy Buds Live + 5K/SE846 that come with me. I like to travel light and this setup is perfect for me (could use IEMs to watch the inflight movies as well).

If you dont want to be interrupted by calls, there is always Do Not Disturb mode since I am pretty sure calls will come through on your phone and disrupt your music even if you dont have l a mic on your headset. On Android, you can also set your bluetooth settings to only transmit audio to your paired bluetooth devices and not calls (I have done this for some of my TWS which have terrible mic quality and I would never use for calls).

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #25,793 of 62,010
@Caipirina @chinmie
Whenever I read a review on whether a TWS is good for phone calls, I don’t pay attention. I mean in 2020, who uses a phone to talk, verbalize, nowadays? Ha Ha
If you really want to talk to me when I’m listening to music, I’ll call you when I’m finished with my music enjoyment thank you very much.

Who doesn't use a phone to talk?

In my job, there's no way a wired will be allowed. Nothing beats a phone call from your boss/co-worker asking you a question about next job or how to accomplish a task on your TWS so you don't need to stop working, remove working gloves to get your phone out and answer. It also have the advantage of blocking a good part of the ambiant noise so you can better hear the conversation when in a noisy environment. When working at 50' plus for multiple hours, having some music with decent SQ is great as well. I had limited myself to some cheap 1 ear TWS previously since I need to hear what's going on around, but with the ambiant mode I might be able to run in stereo now :)

Or while driving back the truck to the shop, where you're not allowed some headphone, that your 2017 truck lack bluetooth or speaker good enough to even be able to recognize a track, I can say that a TWS with decent phone call quality and good SQ is a real plus.

Maybe you're one to use facebook to communicate and phone for music, but other people have different needs.

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #25,794 of 62,010
New firmware is out for MTW2. I think new firmware improves sound, especially the mids.
I updated them, but I think they went borderline sibilant (again). :frowning2:
A little bright highs and sibilance was my first and only? negative when I bought my MTW2.
But especially the last firmware made them a little smoother I think.
Now with 4.13.0 I think they are a tad bright again, and as I said a little sibilant as well.

Did the bass get a little "rumbly" too? (or have I listened too much to my Philips Fidelio X3 lately :) )

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #25,795 of 62,010
https://www.reddit.com/r/AirpodsPro..._quality_and_anc_seems_very_much_improved_on/
I agree! Installed iOS14 GM Seed, and got the 3A283 firmware. Have been testing a little while, and immediately heard changes to both ANC and sound. In a positive way. :)

https://www.whathifi.com/news/airpods-pros-get-spatial-audio-firmware-update
And Spatial Audio with Disney+ and Apple TV+ is AMAZING! Just wow!

Hopped on that bandwagon and downloaded iOS14 mainly to get that APP new FW ... and color me annoyed, but that up'grade' broke my connection between iTunes and my Phone (yes, I am a bit behind with OS upgrades on my old old Macbook Pro, but I don't have enough HD space to go to the Catalina upgrade :D ) ... which means I can no longer put new music on my phone, which SUCKS ...

Anyone heard anything about it? Tried to google, possibly too fresh an issue (and only a minority of still-iTunes users I guess) .. looks like I wait & hope for 14.0.1 or something ...

Oh, and so far the APP FW has not changed ... bummer

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #25,796 of 62,010
Hopped on that bandwagon and downloaded iOS14 mainly to get that APP new FW ... and color me annoyed, but that up'grade' broke my connection between iTunes and my Phone (yes, I am a bit behind with OS upgrades on my old old Macbook Pro, but I don't have enough HD space to go to the Catalina upgrade :D ) ... which means I can no longer put new music on my phone, which SUCKS ...

Anyone heard anything about it? Tried to google, possibly too fresh an issue (and only a minority of still-iTunes users I guess) .. looks like I wait & hope for 14.0.1 or something ...

Ouch, that's too bad.
I don't use iTunes for transferring music, so I can't help you :frowning2:
Hope you'll get it fixed, and your APPs will get the firmware upgrade soon.
I still think sound is a bit better, especially the bass (firmer?) and Spatial Audio was cool (but I won't watch movies/series on my iPhone X anyway...)
Better ANC is difficult to confirm when you don't have another set to compare with, but again I feel it's a little bit better too.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #25,797 of 62,010

iTunes - what’s that?
I’ve not switched on my iMac for a couple of years. Gave up on using iTunes for syncing music.

Music is either AAC on Apple Music and Spotify on an iPhone/iPad/Apple TV or and when I’m not lazy, the tons of FLAC and DSD off a couple of Dinosaur, I mean, Digital Audio Players (DAPs).

In the early days I’d use a software called Waltr2 to convert FLAC into ALAC via iTunes. https://softorino.com/ This was a great program as it converted on the fly without dumping an actual ALAC copy into iTunes as well.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #25,798 of 62,010

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #25,799 of 62,010
iTunes - what’s that?
I’ve not switched on my iMac for a couple of years. Gave up on using iTunes for syncing music.

Music is either AAC on Apple Music and Spotify on an iPhone/iPad/Apple TV or and when I’m not lazy, the tons of FLAC and DSD off a couple of Dinosaur, I mean, Digital Audio Players (DAPs).

In the early days I’d use a software called Waltr2 to convert FLAC into ALAC via iTunes. https://softorino.com/ This was a great program as it converted on the fly without dumping an actual ALAC copy into iTunes as well.
I am actually using iTunes ONLY to get files onto my phone ... video for VLC and flac for an app called VOX ... have not used iTunes for music in ages ...

Can;t really do streaming since we have very limited internet on this island and music can eat up quite some when in higher Q ...

Got the new FW on APP, can;t say I hear a difference yet, need to some time ... no idea how to test spatial audio, seems you have to use video files from whatever apple proprietary source (itunes? apple TV?) i might be locked out there because of region again .. never got anything 'official' from iTunes store regarding video ... maybe they have free trailers? Shall test :D

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #25,800 of 62,010
I got my Fiio FH3 today, along with a BTR5.
They are so damned good compared to all BT/TWS I've ever tested, so I think may need a TWS adapter I can use with the FH3. (MMCX connector).
Which do I buy? :) (Need AAC cause I use an iPhone)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back