Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #24,931 of 62,025
IMG_20200818_111539.jpg

Haylou T16 arrived rather early. Bought it for about usd50 in local currency. Early impressions it sounds balanced and transparent, not warm not bright, vocals are well defined, details are adequate. I'm impressed with it's wide soundstage. Timbre is rather good, I guess because of ccaw driver. Bass is not boomy like usual pair of tws, but got enough slam.

Earbuds are lightweight but size is on a larger side and look sticks out of the ear. It gets loose quite easily on my ears.

3 types of ANC, full, sport and transparent, they all work pretty well on noisy environments, first one blocks out environment noise like busy streets and reckon to block aeroplane noises too. Sport mode is to have slight noice cancellation. Transparent in particular will let in outside noise and have annoying white noise when in quiet environment.

Microphone quality is better than average tws. Voices are clear. Haven't tested the connection stability yet. No aptx here and aac or sbc is the way to go.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #24,932 of 62,025
Will an Android phone with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor be able to transmit in TWS Stereo Plus, assuming compatible phone and TWS IEMs?
No. Wasn't available on any phones until 845 came out. but with older QC chips, if the iems can be used in mono but also pair to each other when both are powered on, you should be able to pair each to the phone, then when you want to switch to 1 the handoff should happen pretty quickly after the other is turned off. i made this work with a snapdragon 835 and it worked flawlessly.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #24,933 of 62,025
No. Wasn't available on any phones until 845 came out. but with older QC chips, if the iems can be used in mono but also pair to each other when both are powered on, you should be able to pair each to the phone, then when you want to switch to 1 the handoff should happen pretty quickly after the other is turned off. i made this work with a snapdragon 835 and it worked flawlessly.
Thanks.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #24,936 of 62,025
LOL! This is too funny: I was reading a review for the 1More Colorbuds, and AndroidCentral said that Jabra is an audiophile brand :laughing::laughing:. "Not to mention more audiophile-centric brands like Jabra, Sennheiser, and Sony." Okay, Sennheiser is definitely an audiophile brand, Sony partially. But Jabra?!?! And then they link the 75t. I mean, Jabra is one of the best examples of a not-audiophile brand that I can think of (look, if you want to buy the 75t as an audiophile, nothing wrong with that, but they aren't an audiophile brand by any stretch of the imagination).
They're not, but I think the general consensus outside the audiophile world would think of them as an audiophile brand. Makes no sense but you get my drift!

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #24,937 of 62,025
same here, when I first read about this issue I have carefully listened in a very quiet ambient and no difference at all to my ears, then done the same in a noisy ambient and again no difference (well, apart the obvious diffrence in ambient and no ANC modes). I have also repeated w/ and w/o eq (just to be sure, I wasn't expecting a difference).
not sure what's happening here... maybe a different production batch? (this is just my speculation, I don't have any real information). I'm in EU and bought from an EU store 20 days ago.

don't know about the 1more, what I can tell is that once you burn-in them correctly (at least 30h) the Apollo sound magnificent to my ears. nope they are not linear, would describe as funny/colored, and I think they were meant this way, but they maintain a very nice detail level and are not fatiguing at all.
at the discounted price point that is running now I think it's a bargain.

I agree with you 100%. I think they're going to sound even better with the right tips. I initially persevered with foam - bad choice, these guys are designed for silicone. Even the noise cancellation works better with silicone.

I haven't really listened to much music, other than for testing earbuds, for a couple of years now. The Apollo's are actually making me appreciate music again.

On other forums people are asking me, is it worth upgrading from the Onyx Free to the Apollo Bold and for days I was a bit hesitant, the Free are so convenient, I woke up with them in again this morning, still stuck on chapter 30 of Thinking Fast and Slow :D I think you need both!

I hate being tied to one vendor, it makes you look like a shill, but in that market Tronsmart are tearing it up right now. I've got the FIIL T1XS coming but El Jefe has already played them down, then Sean has not been super impressed with the new Edifiers. I actually think I could be taking a long break from trying to get a better sound here!

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #24,940 of 62,025
Will try on a run today and then report back :wink:

those are touch buttons and so far I got them to play / pause nicely. The included booklet does not say anything about what else those buttons can do.
So, I finally took them out for a run ... and ... everything worked fine. No connection drops, no sudden battery death (actually still showing 40% after a 2h run) and they do sound pretty decent, and somehow the ‘thud’ was minimal (but there), fit was pretty awesome, did not feel the need to re-adjust any time.

that being said: kids, don’t buy fakes! I might have gotten lucky but other batches of copy-ware might be super faulty, even this set I have could die any second :wink:
The only legit reason to go cheap on these is if you are crazy about color coordinating your gear :wink:
DDC94272-EBDA-41F8-BA64-7775190E4723.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #24,942 of 62,025
other than the X12 and Nillkin Go, the other TWS that don't produce "walking thuds" is the Dyplay BQC35. if I'm not mistaken, @webvan already have a unit but don't like it too much?

it is quite bass heavy that i needed to use EQ at first, but lately i found the perfect eartips for it: reversed KZ starline tips. i use 1 size down to M from my usual tips (L). this hack cuts down the midbass by a lot but retains the subbass rumble, making this one of my favorite substitute for a full size headphones.

i also like that it doesn't have much passive noise blocking, i even think it's a bit less than the Nillkin Go, but with the ANC switched on, music would be more clear than the Nillkin. it certainly excel in Gym environment with loud rumbling background music.

the Nillkin still wins on volume headroom though, as even though the Dyplay have enough volume for me at 60 to 80 percent, the Nillkin can be even louder.

i think the Airsun also has minimal thud, but i need to check them again to be sure. the thing that i don't like about it is the occasional drops of the signal, and the charging case is a bit finicky.. sometimes putting the earpiece inside doesn't charge it, so i have to check it several times when i first put it in the case.

Nope, I've never had the Dyplay BQC35 but now you have piqued my interest ! Can't see them on AE though and Amazon FR don't have them either...In any case it's not a bad idea to have less passive isolation if that avoids the "thud" and then throw in some ANC (even weaksauce) to help with the background noise. I suppose that's what the APPs do to some extent but they are horribly expensive and the thud was there when I ran with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back