Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #24,616 of 62,032
If you really wanna do this (which I do not think is all that serious after all) - but hey, if you want to part with them and you do live in Europe (me thinks UT is one of those 50 states) then just lemme know ... :wave:
yep in the states. You asking about the OG MTW? i couldn't part with them. I still am amazed at the sound i was able to eq with them in the app with that stupid dot eq. But you definitely should pick up a pair if you can. though the MTW2 is a better buy unless you get the 1st gen for really cheap like 100-120 euros.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #24,617 of 62,032
Has anyone tried the Buds+ ambient mode for biking? My issue with ambient mode for biking has generally been the wind noise (note, i dont have the Gbuds+ so I am asking out of curiosity). My MTWs create a really good seal so I would never consider riding my road bike wearing them anyway. The Galaxy Buds Live, in addition to having more of an open design, also works with just one ear (either left or right) so that could be another option (i.e. keep one ear open). It also has a very weak ambient mode that can be toggled in the app. I will need to try it out one of these days.
Oh, it does? I didn't see mention of ambient modes from review sites - silly reviewers :). I suppose you could just wear one in one ear, but I personally can't stand mono mode. I have no idea how people listen to anything like that :p. But hey, if you can stand mono, why not.

I can't speak to it personally, but searching shows that: the Buds + absolutely could NOT be used with ambient and biking, prior to newer firmware. Newer firmware helps greatly - you still have to set Ambient levels to <=50%, with that, some people were fine, others weren't.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #24,618 of 62,032
You know, I was thinking, if someone wanted TWS with the absolute best noise cancellation/isolation, is one potential option budget CIEMs (custom-fitted IEMs) (around $150-200) paired with earhook Bluetooth adapters? I don't have CIEMs (personally would rather spend that much on headphones, esp cause I can't lose headphones and I can lose IEMs. ymmv), but I remember people saying that oftentimes, they isolate better than ANC buds, so... Especially once we see the next wave of Bluetooth IEM adapters hit, like the TRN BT20S Pro, that have charging cases, should have less hiss, etc.

TL;DR: Can we recommend budget CIEMs with BT earhook adapters (esp once next-gen adapters hit) as an alternative to ANC TWS, if the primary goal is isolation?

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #24,619 of 62,032
For anyone who cares about this, codec support for the GBL is identical to the GB+ @FYLegend

1597087353305.png

Edit:
Initial thoughts on Galaxy Beans is... disappointed by the hype.
All the talk of "tons" of bass is really about mid/high bass. I was hoping for some magical solution to earbud sub-bass roll-off but the bass ducts don't really do it for me (rumble is anemic).

Other than that, it sounds a lot more veiled compared to any of the mediocre ChiFi hypebeast (T4, BLON03, etc) IEM. Even on the Dynamic setting, it seems fairly lifeless and not very engaging.

Microphone is trash (as expected).

It's not as comfortable as I expected. They are incredibly light but sandwiched hard plastic is definitely not going to match silicon tips. With the Xelastec tips, I don't have any issue with IEMs now.

The inevitable shine on these is highly annoying. Pretty much have to wipe these down every time I take them out at the end of the day.

No multipoint, non-engaging sound, poor isolation (expected) and same crappy SBC settings, it's hard to see what these things do spectacularly. I don't even particularly want to listen to music on them at all.
ugh, thanks for this info. I was just on this reddit post where someone claimed their Win10 machine supports AAC based on Bluetooth Tweaker, but based on what you posted it's just listing all possible codecs the device uses...

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #24,620 of 62,032
Just stating
sennheiser momentum true wireless 2, is the best sound quality bar none and nothing comes close to them in this space. Simply spectacular. A true joy to listen to music totally wirelessly.
How do you feel about the usability of the Senn MW2? I think most people consider them to be the standard when it comes to sound quality but I've read that the usability of the MW2s leaves alot to be desired.

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #24,621 of 62,032
ugh, thanks for this info. I was just on this reddit post where someone claimed their Win10 machine supports AAC based on Bluetooth Tweaker, but based on what you posted it's just listing all possible codecs the device uses...
It lists at the bottom the codec windows selects. By changing the profile from headset to headphones, then reconnecting, I have found some headsets select AAC. Well, they claim they do!

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #24,622 of 62,032
fWhP78v.jpg

The Panasonic rz-s500w case can take any tips I throw on the buds without affecting the charging or closing of the case lid. Perfect for tip experimenting.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #24,623 of 62,032
How do you feel about the usability of the Senn MW2? I think most people consider them to be the standard when it comes to sound quality but I've read that the usability of the MW2s leaves alot to be desired.
I returned my MTW2's close to the 30 day return limit because they just weren't special enough for $300+, and noise canceling didn't work - or at least was minimal.

Since then the MTW2 has had a firmware update that fixes the ANC problems, but I didn't think the sound was good enough for that much money, especially when the less expensive TWS's from China have so much to offer.

The Tranya T10 is the best I've bought so far, and there are several other new releases that show promise, like the Tronsmart Apollo Bold with ANC:
https://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-apollo-bold-truewireless-stereo-plus-hybrid-anc-earbuds

Like so many others, I've yet to find the perfect TWS, and I'd rather try finding a $100 or less costly TWS than $300 TWS's. Besides I usually buy 2 if I like something to make sure I have a back up, and doubling $300 per TWS is just too much.

I hoping one or more of the IEM makers can translate their great sounding IEM's into great sounding BT TWS's - KZ for example, I just wish someone that knew what they were doing with BT would hire on there...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #24,624 of 62,032
It lists at the bottom the codec windows selects. By changing the profile from headset to headphones, then reconnecting, I have found some headsets select AAC. Well, they claim they do!
hmm, interesting. I'm guessing depending on your BT stack there might be AAC support, but the default codec might not be AAC. There was also some talk about how AAC on OnePlus devices is locked to 160kbps...

Do you notice a difference in quality when it shows AAC? On most of the devices I have I don't hear a huge difference between AAC and SBC on my Note 9, sometimes a bit warmer/boomy on SBC. The difference is most apparent with frequency sweeps on Audiocheck.net, where SBC has this echoing effect before/after you play the files.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #24,629 of 62,032
Oh, it does? I didn't see mention of ambient modes from review sites - silly reviewers :). I suppose you could just wear one in one ear, but I personally can't stand mono mode. I have no idea how people listen to anything like that :p. But hey, if you can stand mono, why not.

I can't speak to it personally, but searching shows that: the Buds + absolutely could NOT be used with ambient and biking, prior to newer firmware. Newer firmware helps greatly - you still have to set Ambient levels to <=50%, with that, some people were fine, others weren't.

@voicemaster mentioned it a few pages back. It is called "Relieve pfessure with ambient sound" and is in the "Labs" menu of the Wearables app. It is very weak but something. I got a firmware update as soon as I paired the Galaxy Buds Live for. the first time yeaterday so perhaps it was part of the firmware update (which is why many reviews seem to mention Gaming Mode but not this feature).

Speaking of firmware updates, I was impressed at how smooth the process went.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #24,630 of 62,032
Commuting with face masks really puts TWS from the "like to have category" into the "must have category".

After going through a few models, got my eye on the N10P, N400, and Technic TWS. Any idea if the N10 P are still on for September?
Don't really care for ANC but EQ is a must (which the N6P don't have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back