Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #21,316 of 61,926
Sudio coming out with a new ANC set of buds .. and it is SBC only ???

sudio.jpg

Discuss

(yes, I am aware that there is also a certain YT review / promo out there, but I can't stand hearing that guy :wink: He probably has tons of praise and a 15% off code :D )

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #21,317 of 61,926
Am I the only one who doesn't like the sound of the XM3s?

I've been using them for 2 months and ABed with N6 pros extensively and in my opinion the N6 pros crushed the XM3s in terms of SQ.

Been eyeing on the MTW2s coz the N6 pros don't have ANC, if the SQ of them is on par with the N6 pro I will be super satisfied.

to be honest, un-EQed, i don't like the XM3 sound too. it has too thick midbass. heck.. i even prefer the original XM1 unEQed sound by a long shot.

but before i was considering to sell it, i noticed that it actually has better technical capabilities than the XM1, and most my other TWS and wired earphones for that matter. so i decided to play with the EQ. i found just reducing the Clear bass to -3 an leaving the rest of the EQ flat is the magic spot.

this is also true with the WH XM3 (bloated midbass, but great technical). and the remedy is also similar for me, that is reducing the Clear bass. but i also bumped up the center EQ slider just a notch to add more mids.

the Galaxy buds is also a great potential and i mostly like the preset EQs, but if Samsung decide to give it a manual EQ, it would be a killer package.

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #21,319 of 61,926
Bluedio has a new model TWE, which has not been mentioned here. They named it Fi, based on the QCC3020 with AptX support, volume control, and they should have an auto pause future. The buds remind me of something Spunky Beat, but the case looks quite futuristic. Interesting is also the price, yesterday I ordered them for less than $ 25.fi.jpg

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #21,320 of 61,926
Bluedio has a new model TWE, which has not been mentioned here. They named it Fi, based on the QCC3020 with AptX support, volume control, and they should have an auto pause future. The buds remind me of something Spunky Beat, but the case looks quite futuristic. Interesting is also the price, yesterday I ordered them for less than $ 25.fi.jpg
Curious what your impressions will be. Can't say I ever had any Bluedio audio product I ended up liking. Their first TWS got pretty bad reviews across the board ... but maybe they have learned from previous iterations.

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #21,321 of 61,926
Just wanted to update with some early impressions: the SONY xm3s sound just fantastic with DSEE HD on along with ANC. It kills the battery, but sounds just plain excellent for a TWS set. It could be a matter of personal preference, but I find that on these settings the xm3s sound even slightly better than the MTW2s to my ears. They certainly have a wider stage, though perhaps slightly less vocal detail and the bass is slightly more tame with a little less texture. I prefer the overall tonality though, particularly the more natural timbre of the mids and highs. The main thing that I'm loving about the xm3s is the speed - I know it's a dynamic driver IEM, but almost sounds like a BA with how crisp and forward everything is while maintaining the richness and punch of a DD. The one issue is that you can't use the DSEE HD function with EQ, and I found that without the DSEE HD on and with EQ some highs (particularly splashy cymbals e.g. Snarky Puppy) become a bit grainy. However, with DSEE HD on the highs really gain a bunch of detail and clarity. Also, ANC adds a bit of low end which is perfect for DSEE HD with EQ off. I think this is making me realize how necessary something like a digital upscaling function is for true wireless at this point in time since higher frequencies are normally what get sacrificed and crushed in compressed audio files. Anyway, just wanted to say that these sound great so far, and will definitely provide further audio impressions as the week progresses.
I bought these when they first came out. eventually i got a pretty solid fit, and the anc was pretty steller. i would randomly get interference when being close to 1 specific tower fan i have and also off and on at work at my desk and while out and about. mor than i've ever gotten with other True wireless iems, but audio didn't drop out. just weird sounds almost like an accelerating sound, similar to a sound you can hear on some older vehicles in the radio static while driving. I think at robinfood had a similar issue witth a pair he purchased a while back and he asked about it on here. One thing i was surprised by was how DSEE HD sounded so robotic on my phone. That wasn't a huge deal to me as i could get a sound i liked with eq. i just didn't feel they were worth the money. i'm not sure the mtw2 is either. i am still deciding what i think of the mtw2 but next post has some thoughts after listening for a few days. .

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #21,322 of 61,926
here are some thoughts of the MTW2 after listening for a few days. The ANC is better at blocking out low rumbling noises it seems. Since i haven't flown recently due to covid and working from home, best way i could think of was to play various airplane cabin and engine clips from my speakers. mid level sounds like people talking and fans in the background were tamed down, but not as effectively. i have a much better fit with these than i did with the sonys. That is to say it was easier to get a good seal with them. I think they isolate better than the 1st gen but not at say shure SE425 level and probably not at etymotic levels, never owned any of their products or demoed them either.
Battery life, well it hasn't drained. I hate that about the first gen but i use it regularly enough that it isn't a huge deal.
app is still the same half baked waste of money it's always been.
The touch controls are way more responsive on the mtw2, and the beeps by default are much quieter. i never have had many issues with the touch controls on the first gen with the exception of activating transparency mode, and the beep volume didn't really bother me either but i like the adjustments on gen 2.
You can remap the touch patterns as you may already know but by default 1 tap on right summons voice assistent, 2 toggles transparency mode on and off and 3 toggles the anc. You can go from transparency to anc with no problems and back again as well. When you go into transparency mode the music pauses but if you hit play on the left iem, the music resumes and you can still hear the outside world. imo Transparency mode sounds mor full and natural than on gen 1. 1 tap on left iem is for play-pause, 2 for next track and 3 for previous track.
I haven't done a ton of calling with these, but i have made some and no one has complained asking if i were on bluetooth etc. These do have sidetone, and it works fantasticly.
SQ, these are my initial thoughts, i am still sorting out my thoughts on them. i like them but one thing i'll say is theres something that's changed in the tuning with these. no matter what i do it seems like the mids are just a bit to forward. These get plenty loud, i maxed them out the other day and it hurt. But also the mids were especially to forward at that level. i like what they did with the bass. it's been dialed down pretty significantly. I also feel like there is a slight reduction in treble with these Vs. the 1st gen. They aren't dull, theres just a little less pop to them if you will. I can see why the mids were adjusted on the mtw2, but i think it was a slight overcorrection from how they were tuned on the 1st gen

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #21,323 of 61,926
I bought these when they first came out. eventually i got a pretty solid fit, and the anc was pretty steller. i would randomly get interference when being close to 1 specific tower fan i have and also off and on at work at my desk and while out and about. mor than i've ever gotten with other True wireless iems, but audio didn't drop out. just weird sounds almost like an accelerating sound, similar to a sound you can hear on some older vehicles in the radio static while driving. I think at robinfood had a similar issue witth a pair he purchased a while back and he asked about it on here. One thing i was surprised by was how DSEE HD sounded so robotic on my phone. That wasn't a huge deal to me as i could get a sound i liked with eq. i just didn't feel they were worth the money. i'm not sure the mtw2 is either. i am still deciding what i think of the mtw2 but next post has some thoughts after listening for a few days. .

Very weird about the connectivity issues and strange static noises. I’ve had absolutely no issues on my phone, and after a reset the hiccups I was experiencing on my Windows computer completely went away.

Regarding the sound, I absolutely noticed the metallic somewhat processed sound when DSEE was on while EQ was also on. Then checked on Sony’s FAQs and apparently you are not supposed to have EQ on while DSEE is on at the same time. Using DSEE with no EQ and ANC on, there’s none of that robotic affect, at least over AAC on my iPhone. Instead, with this setting on they turn into what I hear to be one of the more natural, balanced, and detailed TWS sets I’ve tried to date, with excellent clean bass and an open, rich, natural mid range, and excellent treble clarity for a wireless set. Just wondering, were you using DSEE with EQ on at the same time? Also, I feel like it’s possible they have fixed some of the audio issues these had initially through firmware updates? Seems like they’ve released a lot of them in the past 8 months, but who knows.

I know audio is subjective though and to each their own, but I prefer the sound of the Sonys to what I was hearing with the MTW2s at the moment. I would say the Sonys slightly outperform the MTW2s in pretty much every category (overall detail retrieval, tonality, transparency, speed, balance, soundstage, and imaging), except for vertical instrument separation and vocal detail. The N6 Pros still edge the Sonys out slightly imo in terms of pure technical ability, natural / realistic timbre, and imaging, but it’s verrrry close and the N6s lack the features and the combination of warmth and punchiness in the low end that the Sonys provide. I’m going to give it another week of testing with my usual stable, but these are fast becoming one of my absolute favorite TWS to date.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #21,324 of 61,926
Sudio coming out with a new ANC set of buds .. and it is SBC only ???

Discuss

(yes, I am aware that there is also a certain YT review / promo out there, but I can't stand hearing that guy :wink: He probably has tons of praise and a 15% off code :D )
Alright guys, this doesn't have a very dah-namic sound and Ah-PX5! The charging port uses Qi charging and has a port that is... MicroUSB USB Type-C The controls control everything... but the volume!

Anyways, I always close video reviews once I see MicroUSB or no volume controls!

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #21,325 of 61,926
There's a new update to the Galaxy Buds+ that's supposed to fix issues with white noise in ambient sound, but I think it is also cutting out more bass from the mic feed as well. Makes you wonder if the hardware is capable of ANC but Samsung decided not to release it as such. Still no improvements on SBC sound quality or the volume decreasing over time.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #21,329 of 61,926
^Not the best review. Why subtitle them asking if they are an Airpod alternative then in the review saying without much time with them it is hard to compare to the Apple. Not that they are an Airpod competitor anyway. Not sure about about limited playback controls as a con. They don't leave anything out so where is the con. You can do volume, track control, and voice assistant. Comparing Youtube to music. Well, yes EQ is important. My podcasts sound different than my music, and videos can sound different than that. Notice this on all the different TWS I have had and it is not the earphones problem but a side effect of the different platforms.

What I don't like, since we have seen a teardown of the Sony, is they put 95 mAh batteries in them but only a 300mah in the case. Should have put a bigger one in there...

Credit to the Walkman Blog
1586872416778.png

This image from the review is useful...
1586875803125.png

...to learn those tips probably gotta go. Too small a bore compressing the stage height at least.Think the Sedna Earfits should open them up and make the vocals pop more since that is kinda what they do. Crisper, open, and better balance.

The pics there also confirm the black is boring. The blue pops and add more to the look with two contrasting colors.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #21,330 of 61,926
Very weird about the connectivity issues and strange static noises. I’ve had absolutely no issues on my phone, and after a reset the hiccups I was experiencing on my Windows computer completely went away.

Regarding the sound, I absolutely noticed the metallic somewhat processed sound when DSEE was on while EQ was also on. Then checked on Sony’s FAQs and apparently you are not supposed to have EQ on while DSEE is on at the same time. Using DSEE with no EQ and ANC on, there’s none of that robotic affect, at least over AAC on my iPhone. Instead, with this setting on they turn into what I hear to be one of the more natural, balanced, and detailed TWS sets I’ve tried to date, with excellent clean bass and an open, rich, natural mid range, and excellent treble clarity for a wireless set. Just wondering, were you using DSEE with EQ on at the same time? Also, I feel like it’s possible they have fixed some of the audio issues these had initially through firmware updates? Seems like they’ve released a lot of them in the past 8 months, but who knows.

I know audio is subjective though and to each their own, but I prefer the sound of the Sonys to what I was hearing with the MTW2s at the moment. I would say the Sonys slightly outperform the MTW2s in pretty much every category (overall detail retrieval, tonality, transparency, speed, balance, soundstage, and imaging), except for vertical instrument separation and vocal detail. The N6 Pros still edge the Sonys out slightly imo in terms of pure technical ability, natural / realistic timbre, and imaging, but it’s verrrry close and the N6s lack the features and the combination of warmth and punchiness in the low end that the Sonys provide. I’m going to give it another week of testing with my usual stable, but these are fast becoming one of my absolute favorite TWS to date.
i didn't have eq on at the time, i can't remember which reviewer it was but one had called out that it couldn't be used with DSEE so i didn't try it. But it was first batch and it may be worth picking them up again. There were a lot of things i liked about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back