Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 27, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #20,881 of 62,100
I thought it would be good to review the original MOMENTUM True Wireless now that they have just announced the V2. Very good aptX LL on these.

https://headfonics.com/2020/03/sennheiser-momentum-true-wireless-wireless-weekend/

1585307793227.png

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #20,883 of 62,100
AuSounds Hybrid went back today. I really wanted to like them and honestly there were certain things about them that I loved. The feature set was also pretty solid given the price. I'll give a quick rundown of some Pros and Cons here:

Pros:
- High quality and very small case (one of the smallest I've used outside of AirPods), can fit in the small pocket of jeans.
- Low profile of buds, they look so good and they barely stick out. I loved the form factor of these and really commend AuSounds for trying to make everything as small as possible. TWS are supposed to be convenient and these really are.
- Solid microphone quality if nothing too loud is going on in the background.
- Pretty good touch controls.
- Decent battery life with ANC off (6.5 hours), though drains with ANC on (3.5-4 hours).
- Good feature set for $185 and also given how small they are. Has ANC and Ambient Listening modes. The ANC worked pretty decently on low frequencies and the Ambient worked when music volume was low. Nothing magical, but the features are there.
- AAC Codec (no AptX).
- Solid sound quality: there were pros and cons with the sound quality but I'll say these overall had a well-done U shaped signature, pretty good detail retrieval, a tight punchy and accurate bass (my favorite part of the sound on these), and an above-average sound stage. The timbre is pretty good too with nothing sounding weird or tinny. Though has a pretty prominent bass, it's overall a pretty cold sounding earbud in the mids and highs. They really benefit from some mid-preference EQ. I'll get into the cons of the sound below.

Cons:
- Low battery life of case. I had to charge the case at least once every two days. Seemed like the case drained battery really quickly.
- No volume control.
- Microphone picks up loud background noises (unideal for NYC).
- When ANC or Ambient Mode are on, these pick up wind noise more noticeably than any ANC buds I've tried so far. It's so sensitive that if you're just moving around the house quickly you can sometimes notice it. Also, the ANC really only works for low frequencies and does almost nothing to mid-high frequencies. Another weird quirk is that sometimes if there is a loud sudden noise in Ambient Mode it will actually go out of Ambient Mode for a second before returning to it (don't really know how to explain this but its basically just like a momentary lapse in the mode that is sometimes jarring).
- Comfort was decent for my ears, but definitely got fatiguing and fidgety over longer listening sessions.
- Connectivity problems. I had a bunch of little drops here and there that would only last for a half-second but were definitely noticeable, and happened at least once every time I used them. Did not connect well with my Windows laptop.
- No app support.
- Sound quality was good overall, but there is definitely a spike in the high-mids which can make it harsh on certain songs. They can also sound a bit empty, there is definitely a lack of warmth even though it has elevated bass. These really require EQ to get the best out of them - boost mids and bring down highs. Also, they just don't sound as good as my Nuarl N6 Pros so it was hard to justify keeping them.

Overall, these were a good effort by AuSounds and if they can improve on these issues I've laid out while maintaining the same form factor I think they'll have a winner on their hands. This is not quite a complete product right now but I really like the direction they're going.

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #20,885 of 62,100
Do you know if the B530 has a micro for calls?
Thanks!

This question actually made me think ... are there ANY tws that do NOT have a built in phone function?
I mean, how great would that be?
Focus on music / audio .. .like IEMs, I always order without mic cable, if that is an option.
I do NOT want any phone calls when I am listening to music (actually, I don't want any phone calls period!)
No idea how much space that would safe to be used for ... more battery? better codecs?

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #20,886 of 62,100
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #20,888 of 62,100
Mar 27, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #20,889 of 62,100
I've had them since this Monday... To make it short, if you want the best sound quality that's available right now (at a premium price) then go for it.

They are far from perfect, id still want even better battery life, lower latency and multipoint connection. All of which looks to be fixed with Bluetooth 5.2.

But that's the nature of tech, especially in this new segment, there will always be something better if you wait x months/years.

I'll use these extensively the next 2 years, by then BT 5.2 devices, adapters and true wireless earphones should be widespread :)
Any other TWS you can compare them to ? APP, L2P, Echobuds, MW07+, etc... thanks !

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #20,893 of 62,100
What are the top two/ three choices in the under $100 bracket, $100-200, and $200+ brackets? I don't value anc, and actually consider it a detriment since it usually (always?) colors the sound, and I don't personally have a need for it. I understand it's a super useful feature, but not so much for me. That said, if the top choice happens to have it, I get it.

I apologize if this has already been asked. There are just so many posts.

I have a Jabra Elite Active 65T and I'm looking for an upgrade.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #20,895 of 62,100
I own the L2P, MTW original, and Galaxy Buds and I like the L2P the most sonically. The MTW is warmer and wider sounding and like it second best but the L2P has better detail and an overall richer sound. The Galaxy buds sound a bit to thin to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back