Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #20,746 of 62,028
Yeah, I tried a mifo clone and they were really small. I had no idea they had APTx support or an ambient mode. They seemed worth it after they came out but creeped up in price quite a bit, almost doubling. The color also seems a bit much.

I almost considered the shanling mtw100 but they don't support APTx and the touch controls feel like they might get in the way of resting on the side.

I can also sleep fine with the x12 earbuds, but they just don't sound good enough to make me want to use them more than that...

Wait what? Which Mifo has AptX?
I tried those isntructions for the hidden ambient mode once and all I got was the 2 buds not recognizing each other anymore (Mifo 05) ... took me forever to get them back to normal, so I stopped trying that ... but aptx? That would be awesome! Not sure though how to test that ...

Edit: No, the Mifo 05 do NOT have 'hidden' AptX. Just tested this with my TempoTec V1A player ... from experience, when I have a non AptX set connected and then force AptX on the player, the player restarts, that's what just now happened twice with the Mifo 05, so, maybe clone of 07

in semi unrelated news, postal service has been suspended (in my location) thanks to the ongoing pandemic ... so, no new TWS for a while ... several in the mail ...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #20,747 of 62,028
I tried those isntructions for the hidden ambient mode once and all I got was the 2 buds not recognizing each other anymore (Mifo 05) ... took me forever to get them back to normal, so I stopped trying that ... but aptx? That would be awesome! Not sure though how to test that ...

Edit: No, the Mifo 05 do NOT have 'hidden' AptX. Just tested this with my TempoTec V1A player ... from experience, when I have a non AptX set connected and then force AptX on the player, the player restarts, that's what just now happened twice with the Mifo 05
Must have unit variance. Mine were an early set. Had them almost a year. Vortex Reviews had his with different coloured lights in his case, and mine didn't. Probably a different batch, lack of parts or something. I work in manufacturing, so I have understand these kind of things happen.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #20,748 of 62,028

Edit: No, the Mifo 05 do NOT have 'hidden' AptX. Just tested this with my TempoTec V1A player ... from experience, when I have a non AptX set connected and then force AptX on the player, the player restarts, that's what just now happened twice with the Mifo 05, so, maybe clone of 07

in semi unrelated news, postal service has been suspended (in my location) thanks to the ongoing pandemic ... so, no new TWS for a while ... several in the mail ...

i see the Mifo 07 are advertised with AptX. Oh and looky here, the10th anniversary sales prices are out. Might get me those O7? Not sure
95C75521-DA50-400A-96EB-E46037DC7886.jpeg

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #20,749 of 62,028
Surprisingly enough I don't have any problems lying on my side whilst wearing my Sony WF1000XM3 headphones - I've never accidentally triggered the touch controls either. In all fairness though I have been using in ear monitors in bed for many years now and I tend to place my hand under my head which prevents the iem's from being pushed to far into my ears.

In all fairness though I still think you can't beat the Apple Airpods for bedtime listening (as long as you don't listen to loud as they leak sound like crazy).

What ? Surely you can't be lying on your side with your head/ear against the pillow with the WF-1000xm3 ?!

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #20,752 of 62,028
I typically don't listen at louder volumes so I can't say how it will be up past vol 5-6 of 16.

I am sure you've already tried, but I find the piano preset to be perfect for low volume listening.

I find all preset EQs unsatisfactory. But if you push the midrange sliders--200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz, 1.6kHz--all the way up to +6dB, and some of the treble up too on the user-defined EQ, these become insane beasts.

You mind sharing a screenshot of yours ?

The Thorp one is great for electronic music. I'd love to see what these look like.

Yes!

It would really cool to know for what music these guys tuned for, but that would be too much to ask. They should let us see what they look like tho.. wonder if they have more to play with than what is offered in the custom one for us.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #20,753 of 62,028
They said they're putting their hands under the head as well, so I can only assume that's what they're doing. :scream:

Even then they stick out too much for me lol. Gave it a try last night.

I am sure you've already tried, but I find the piano preset to be perfect for low volume listening.

You mind sharing a screenshot of yours ?

It would really cool to know for what music these guys tuned for, but that would be too much to ask. They should let us see what they look like tho.. wonder if they have more to play with than what is offered in the custom one for us.

I'm not a fan of the presets.

Like this, but all the way up. I tried it but too forward and a bit unnatural.
Screenshot_20200319-204654.png

I do agree, wish they let us see what the presets are.

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #20,754 of 62,028
They said they're putting their hands under the head as well, so I can only assume that's what they're doing. :scream:

Hands ? Missed that part, so the hands are used to raise the ear ? Sounds like a lot of work, and temporary too ! If I really need that I'll use my wired EarPods and be done with it :wink:

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #20,755 of 62,028
Hands ? Missed that part, so the hands are used to raise the ear ? Sounds like a lot of work, and temporary too ! If I really need that I'll use my wired EarPods and be done with it :wink:
Too much work for me! I just lay on my back. It's the price I pay to enjoy good music. :relaxed:

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #20,757 of 62,028
Yeah I wish I could afford the B&O Beoplay E8
FWIW: I bought the E8 when they where released > 2years ago. They have been good to me ever since. What has been bothering me, was the drop-outs and the problem with the left not playing when no fuel left in the charging case. Despite this, the sound has always been fine, although I had hoped for a better fit. Now the 3rd generation arrived, I couldn't resist....They are really great. Using the comply tips to get a proper seal. No ANC, but to my big surprise, they are very good when walking. That is, they do not tend to give this rumble for each step as other IEMS may tend to do (Vista's, Sony's). The sound is on the warm side, but very nice and adjustable with the app. I do find it as a major step-up from the 1st generation - but of course YMMW:)

Mar 20, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #20,758 of 62,028
Hey - can anyone inform me why my TWS occasionally suffer from horrible pitch-shift? Is this a BT thing?

On a run today, where I use music at a specific bpm to manage my cadence, I noticed that a song was going up and down randomly in pitch. W.T.F? Is this a connection issue where pitch information communicated over BT somehow gets altered if it's a weak signal? I've heard this a bit before transiently, and wondered if I was just hearing something weird b/c I was on a run. But today, it was really bad and it didn't go away. I figured that resetting the source and my TWS, then re-pairing would probably fix the issue.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #20,759 of 62,028
Got my first set of true wireless earbuds yesterday. The Cambridge Audio Melomania M1.

Very impressive although I only have the Bluetooth cable Audeze lcd i3 to compare with which is unjust.

Fit is excellent, sound seems pretty neutral to me, update added some extra volume.
I've tried several TW buds, and still like the M1s best. I am in a minority, but doesn't matter to me. I use the OEM foam tips, which I think are they best sound. Ended up getting a bunch from CA by having a friend in the UK order a pack. They also make a larger foam, and I have a few of those. Best news is, if you use the foams, a hydrogen peroxide wash and water rinse and squeeze/dry return them to like new. Very rugged material. Some folks have fit issues with the, I don't. I can't update the FW, only seems to work with Android. No matter. EnjoyI

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #20,760 of 62,028

Users who are viewing this thread

Back