Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #18,676 of 62,083
Just tested the Geekfly GF8. First thought is the implementation is definitely intriguing for a true wireless. After listening to the GF8 different modes, I am very impressed by the sound. For the sound, I will choose the GF8 over my Sony WF-1000XM3.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #18,677 of 62,083
I agree that the case of the Mpow M5 is way too big, but for me, one of the biggest TWS struggles of getting the earpieces out of the case, is with the original AirPods or AirPods Pro - that annoying fiddling with the top side of the earpieces!

By the way - I published my Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review. I try to keep my reviews limited to the 100 dollars mark, but I couldn't pass this one.

When I first got the AP and APPs that was true, but as soon as I realised that with e.g. the APP you open them and flick them out from the back, I've found that is on-par or better than almost all the others I have.

I agree that Apple could have done better with affordance of getting the earpieces out of the box. Still, they did a pretty good job with the rest IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #18,679 of 62,083
I agree that the case of the Mpow M5 is way too big, but for me, one of the biggest TWS struggles of getting the earpieces out of the case, is with the original AirPods or AirPods Pro - that annoying fiddling with the top side of the earpieces!

By the way - I published my Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro review. I try to keep my reviews limited to the 100 dollars mark, but I couldn't pass this one.

Nice review, I'm a bit surprised you find they isolate well though as it's been acknowledged by most (all?) here that it's not its strong point and can only really be used in quiet environments. The wings do help (without them the fit would probably be as bad as on the WF-1000Xm3 unless you ram them in your ear) for the fit but still not very stable due to their size and weight. The T1X are much better for both these aspects in my experience. Thy don't sound as pleasant though with their rather narrow (at least compared to the L2P) soundstage.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #18,680 of 62,083
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #18,681 of 62,083
They seem to have the same convenient form factor as the X12/E12 too, do they sit pretty flush with the ear once inserted ?

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #18,682 of 62,083
They seem to have the same convenient form factor as the X12/E12 too, do they sit pretty flush with the ear once inserted ?
Here you go! :)

photo_2020-01-17_00-37-58.jpg

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #18,683 of 62,083
Here you go! :)

you guys are killing me with exposure to all these interesting tws earbuds! damn... and i just got a pair of 1000xm3 in. going to test how they sound via ldac with eq adjustments via viper4android so I can bypass the sony app downgrading the bluetooth codec.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #18,684 of 62,083
you guys are killing me with exposure to all these interesting tws earbuds! damn... and i just got a pair of 1000xm3 in. going to test how they sound via ldac with eq adjustments via viper4android so I can bypass the sony app downgrading the bluetooth codec.
I generally use my Sony WF-1000XM3 & Apple Airpods Pro for ANC. However, for SQ, I will take the Geekfly GF8.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #18,685 of 62,083
No no, there is no EQ setting or even app on the android phone... So again beware of the QCC 3020 devices as all of them will behave similarly to the Bomaker Sifi: no AAC support at all and APTX might be also sketchy on some Android phones.

this is weird, my Haylou GT1 plus have Qualcomm QCC3020 and always connected to AAC to my LG v40, and i force to use APTX, they are in APTX mode. no problem at all, never once connected to SBS by default.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #18,686 of 62,083
Not to rain on everyone's parade but if for you AAC codec compatibilty is important (iPhone users), I need to warn you, that so far my QCC3020 equipped Bomaker Sifi, can't connect to any device with AAC but only SBC, On the other side APTX codec does work if forced on my Apple laptop. It's a shame because indeed in terms of sound they are very good while using them with superior APTX versus with SBC...

SBC codec always has a characteristic shrill high pitched overtone sound, when sub-bass sounds are produced. Usually you can hear this clearly with the test "Bass Shaker" over the Audiocheck Headphones Test webpage: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

If you want to confirm which codec you are using with your Qualcomm 3020 chipset equiped TWSs and if you have an Apple computer, you can press the Bluetooth icon on the top bar together with the Alt key and you get a more complete menu which describes which codec you are currently using with your device.

It's a pitty, but they will be returned to Amazon for false advertising on the AAC codec compatibility. At the same time I've checked the Qualcomm 3020 page and nowhere is to be found AAC compatibility. Amazing that every product equipped with the QCC 3020 (Bomaker Sifi, Mpow M5, Tronsmart Spunky Beats, etc...) they all tout AAC codec compatibility... Chi-fi at its best...

This has not been my experience. The 3020 definitely supports AAC and AptX. My Spunkybeats are connected to my MAC using AAC right now. The M5/T5 also, The OFUSHO P.O.S', The NUARL NT01A which uses the 3020, the 1more Stylish, I could go on. I had the Bowmaker and they also supported AAC on my mac, so Maybe there's an issue with your equipment. I also use an iphone
I've had the N6 in house for a few days and have yet to actually return the N6 Pro, so I've been swapping back and forth tonight.

I initially found the Pro on the brighter side and a little light in bass, but excelling in technicalities. I love the soaring airiness and impressive detail retrieval, but I wish they were a bit warmer than neutral.

I ordered a set of the regular N6 wanting a warmer version of the Pro, but I'm not loving them as much as expected. They're definitely warmer, but with both the stock silicone tips and some JVC Spiral Dots the treble is somewhat peaky and unrefined with a bit of sibilance that surprised me, and without any airiness. They're also quite thick in the bass and lower mids where you end up losing a lot of detail and definition as a result. I tried some Comply SmartCore Sport Pro foam tips and it cleaned up the top end but made the bass slightly bloated while muffling any sense of air.

However, I have to say the same Comply tips make a really pleasant difference with the Pro. They add some body to the low end and dial back the brightness a notch while not making the sound muffled and dry. I'd still like a degree more warmth but man is this a great combination. The detail retrieval and imaging is off the charts, probably the best I've heard in a TW model. The sound is a bit on the thin side but the glare is mostly gone and you get this wonderfully clear and cohesive sound free of any frequency artifacts. I might try to experiment with the other Comply tips I have lying around to see if there are any other differences I can coax out of these Pros.
So I was doing another quick A/B/C with the T1x and the N6 and Pro. The only one I didn't like today was the N6. My mid bass is still a bit bloated sounding. So I decided to try them with the Symbio Peel tips. It made a huge difference. It reduced the mid bass quite a bit and now i'm hearing the highs more like the N6 pro. I still love the pro's but they just sound a little empty to me down low. If the N6 Pro had the low end the T1x has i'd be in heaven. I also threw some comply foam tips on the N6 and got another huge reduction in mid-bass. and they are nearly as bright and thin as the N6 pro sound on certain tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #18,687 of 62,083
I generally use my Sony WF-1000XM3 & Apple Airpods Pro for ANC. However, for SQ, I will take the Geekfly GF8.

interesting. As I’m sure is true for everyone, I’d really like to have it all in a single pair of TWS. Do you feel like that’s just not yet attainable? I am intrigued by the Geekfly GF8, thanks for sharing your thoughts on them.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #18,688 of 62,083
I also threw some comply foam tips on the N6 and got another huge reduction in mid-bass. and they are nearly as bright and thin as the N6 pro sound on certain tracks.

Whoa, that's a surprise. My experience has been that the bass isn't as tight with the Complys but there seems to be more of it. I also found it tames the top end a bit, but that was maybe a bit more subtle. I will swap back to the silicone tips on the N to see if I'm imagining things.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #18,689 of 62,083
Nice review, I'm a bit surprised you find they isolate well though as it's been acknowledged by most (all?) here that it's not its strong point and can only really be used in quiet environments. The wings do help (without them the fit would probably be as bad as on the WF-1000Xm3 unless you ram them in your ear) for the fit but still not very stable due to their size and weight. The T1X are much better for both these aspects in my experience. Thy don't sound as pleasant though with their rather narrow (at least compared to the L2P) soundstage.
I guess I got lucky here, since I took the wings off the L2P (they annoyed me) and use the Comply Audio Pro foam tips and they stay put, never fall out, no need to ram anything in my ear. Also, with the Comply tips, they isolate decently. Not ANC but as good as most passive in-ear phones I've tried/owned. Did you own the L2Pro and return them?

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #18,690 of 62,083
I didn't keep them as they were a terrible fit but in reading reviews on Amazon and elsewhere I remember many people complaining that they were getting nowhere near the advertized 9 hours but closer to 6 hours so yours are probably not defective...so I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply from CA, at least a useful one !
Never got close to using them for 9 hours, 2-3 max, so can't comment on that. They did get back to me fairly quickly via email and ended up making good on my issue, which was connectivity. I can see how fit would be an issue for some; the OEM foam tips just worked. I didn't care for the silicone tips and sound sig, TBH. With that, I ended up with about 8-9 pair of foams tips so I could keep the M1s. Otherwise, I would not have been happy. I have compared notes with a few M1 owners vs PM and they all agree, they prefer the foam for sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back