Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 8, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #18,287 of 62,025
I went ahead and bought a 2nd set of T1X after I sent the 1st back for insanely bad driver flex. Hopefully this set is better constructed! I told myself I was done until the new tech stuff comes out later this year. You all are a bad influence! lol

Sadly, I also ordered another pair because of the left side driver flex. No difference. I think they are all flawed at the manufacturing level. Experimenting with tips (other than what it came with) helped to alleviate the flex. It's a weakness that I gladly put up with at this price point.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #18,288 of 62,025
Apperently there's another codec LC3plus that will focus on high quality and low latency.

"
LC3plus
LC3plus is a superset of LC3, comprising all features of LC3, including high speech and audio quality. Additionally, LC3plus incorporates functionalities for transmission robustness, extremely low-delay use cases and high-resolution audio transmission. To improve robustness, LC3plus contains a very high-performance packet loss concealment algorithm as well as forward error correction schemes such as channel coding or redundancy frame modes. Furthermore, the codec can operate at several low-delay modes – down to 5ms at a 2.5ms packet size. LC3plus also includes dedicated high-resolution audio modes, which improve the measurable audio quality beyond perceptual transparency (up to 500 kbit/s per channel).

LC3plus is the equivalent to EVS for landlines and enables super wideband quality for VoIP use cases, while the number of channels stays the same as in wideband. Redundancy frame modes permit the transmission of LC3plus payloads over congested VoIP channels, enabling stable phone calls even under these conditions.

LC3plus has been standardized by ETSI as TS 103 634 and brings super wideband speech/audio quality to DECT thanks to its adoption into the 2019 DECT standard. For wideband, the capacity doubles compared to the preceding standard. In terms of robustness, LC3plus’s channel coding, which was specifically designed for DECT channel characteristics, permits the transmission of LC3plus payloads over heavily distorted DECT channels – enabling phone calls without interruption, even if the handset is far away from the base station.

LC3plus’s dedicated high-resolution audio mode provides a high-quality transmission link of 24 bit and 96 kHz audio data. This makes it the ideal codec to bring high-transparency audio streaming to high-resolution wireless accessories such as headsets or loudspeakers. LC3plus is the only open-standard audio codec for high-resolution wireless headsets and high-quality gaming headsets."

https://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/amm/communication/lc3.html

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #18,289 of 62,025
Word on the Edifier is now...
upload_2020-1-8_18-24-6.png

TWS NB will indeed be $119. TWS6 will be dropped down to $99. Too bad for the suckers that bought it at $119 they are not refunding you :) Says available on Edifier site late January then on Amazon a bit after that...
https://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/twsnb-true-wireless-earbud-headphones
Good ANC?? 11 hours w/o and 5 with it on is some hit. Industry leading from AMS? Video guy said he thought it better than APP NC but jury is still out.

Saw two things on the Helm. One, that both the Estat and Triple driver were both $149 and saw it said the Estat was $199. Estat, btw, does have ANC and is a hybrid with a second dynamic driver so very Shuoer Tape-like in it's configuration. Seems these have been MIA at CES. In line amp and headphones went up on their site but not the TWS.

What is wrong with AT, btw? Let's release an ANC at the same price as the AAP, not as small, not as well integrated, probably worse app, same battery, and by the time it comes out Apple will probably have price adjusted the APP so the AT will cost more. If you can't beat them join them but you aren't really matching the appeal. Pretty sure the AT will sound better but the Sony and other also sound better and have better battery life already. Sony is $10 cheaper and gonna drop. They are coming in late and not quite matching the better sounding ones for battery and not matching apple for the more seamless integration and size. LOA - loser on arrival?? Actually like it but maybe at $159 and would be nice if better than IPX2. Maybe the ANC can be shut off(no mention of that yet but I'd hope) and the battery will jump up like the Edifier to closer to 10. How does ambient mode effect the battery life as well?

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #18,290 of 62,025
Word on the Edifier is now...

TWS NB will indeed be $119. TWS6 will be dropped down to $99. Too bad for the suckers that bought it at $119 they are not refunding you :) Says on Edifier site late January then Amazon...
https://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/twsnb-true-wireless-earbud-headphones
Good ANC?? 11 hours w/o and 5 with it on. Industry leading from AMS? Video guy said he thought it better than APP NC but jury is still out.

Saw two things on the Helm. One, that both the Estat and Triple driver were both $149 and saw it said the Estat was $199. Estat, btw, does have ANC and is a hybrid with a second dynamic driver so very Shuoer Tape-like in it's configuration. Seems these have been MIA at CES. In line amp and headphones went up on their site but not the TWS.

What is wrong with AT, btw? Let's release an ANC at the same price as the AAP, not as small, not as well integrated, probably worse app, same battery, and by the time it comes out Apple will probably have price adjusted the APP so the AT will cost more. If you can't beat them join them but you aren't really matching the appeal. Pretty sure the AT will sound better but the Sony and other also sound better and have better battery life already. Sony is $10 cheaper and gonna drop. They are coming in late and not quite matching the better sounding ones for battery and not matching apple for the more seamless integration and size. LOA - loser on arrival?? Actually like it but maybe at $159 and would be nice if better than IPX2.

the Audio Technica seems to be banking on their name. seeing their last few effort, they're rather stretching it..unless of course they focus their effort on sound quality, otherwise they won't stand a chance, because it would be harder for them to compete in the other category

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #18,291 of 62,025
the Audio Technica seems to be banking on their name. seeing their last few effort, they're rather stretching it..unless of course they focus their effort on sound quality, otherwise they won't stand a chance, because it would be harder for them to compete in the other category

Yeah I tried their first TW model and it was among the worst I've heard. Horribly bright and brittle. The build quality was also very shoddy with the cheapest plastic I've felt in awhile (they literally creaked when pressing buttons bc the housing flexed) and the gigantic charging case. They don't seem to have iterated much since then as all their models aren't befitting the prices they're asking. They need to step up their game.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #18,292 of 62,025
No, have not tried the AKG. You know, JBL, AKG, etc. now that Samsung owns them, are starting to look like rebrands of each other. Haven't really been too excited about AKG since they were acquired by Samsung. For accessories, Samsung understands the margins are much better vs. the thinner margins on phones and TVs, etc., so you see a heavy dose of mid-grade plastic and fairly inexpensive build quality. Not to poo-poo the AKG NC700M2, but I'm just not driven to try them.

That being said, I am very curious about the dyplay TWS with ANC. Currently $65.99 w/ 10% off coupon. They're currently in the shopping cart.
damn! They're out of stock. although maybe that's a good thing haha.. I know what you mean about AKG JBL etc. I was disapointed when Samsung scooped them up. I just want to find a solid BT over ear. SAfe to say nothing likely sounds better than the M4u 8 for the money, i just don't want to buy them again. guess i'll use a combo of QC35 for ANC, and pick up an ES100 for the PM3.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #18,293 of 62,025
Yeah I tried their first TW model and it was among the worst I've heard. Horribly bright and brittle. The build quality was also very shoddy with the cheapest plastic I've felt in awhile (they literally creaked when pressing buttons bc the housing flexed) and the gigantic charging case. They don't seem to have iterated much since then as all their models aren't befitting the prices they're asking. They need to step up their game.
I tried 2 over ear BT models at RMAF 2017, and they were unbelievably cheap feeling. not to mention some of the worst BT headphones out at the time. I was honestly surprised they put their name on either of them. They were the DSR7BT and the DSR9BT

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #18,294 of 62,025
No, have not tried the AKG. You know, JBL, AKG, etc. now that Samsung owns them, are starting to look like rebrands of each other. Haven't really been too excited about AKG since they were acquired by Samsung. For accessories, Samsung understands the margins are much better vs. the thinner margins on phones and TVs, etc., so you see a heavy dose of mid-grade plastic and fairly inexpensive build quality. Not to poo-poo the AKG NC700M2, but I'm just not driven to try them.

That being said, I am very curious about the dyplay TWS with ANC. Currently $65.99 w/ 10% off coupon. They're currently in the shopping cart.

mine has just arrived in my country, i might get it in a few days. i also ordered this ANC TWS this winter sale, but it would some time before it would got to me

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #18,295 of 62,025
Not sure if this one has been mentioned here yet, but I just found the Advanced Model X PLUS on Amazon for $79.
I had a pair of the Model X when they were on Indiegogo. Not impressed, shrill sound to me, just not a pleasant signature. I was surprised, because Advanced is a reputable outfit. I returned them and Advanced refunded the money. Mind you, I did not have the Model X Plus, maybe they upgraded the SQ. Just not willing to try again, with all the new models/BT tech coming out of CES.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #18,297 of 62,025
Well, I'll be damned. NUARL support helped me fix the right N6 Pro bud. So as I mentioned it was stuck on the quick flashing white led and no matter what I tried I could not get it to pair etc. Support told me to reset the left bud hold the main button wait for 3 higher pitched beeps and then once the white light is solid double click. Had to do it twice, but the left bud kicked into reset mode as well. I put them down and waited about 5 min. as instructed until they powered themselves off. Turned them back on waited until the stopped the initialization white flashes, then the flashed fast white again for a couple seconds and BOOM! back to intermittent white flashing. Now the right will pair. Thanks NUARL!!

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #18,298 of 62,025
OK, now that I have the N6 Pro's working again, This is a pretty simple comparison to the N6. The N6 is a better all around performer for me. It's def. missing a touch of that high end detail which makes the Pro stand out, but the Pro is just missing so much low end, it still has bass and IMO the Pro has a bit better mids they seem a little veiled in the N6. With that said the N6 is no bass monster, it has an adequate amount and it's accurate and sounds great. They are both really similar but i'm keeping the N6. Also the Pro feels a little better quality with the silicone finish on the exterior and I feel like the pro feels a little heavier maybe the button ring is metal instead of plastic like on the N6, but i'm just speculating. For $30 less it's a winner for me and I found the Auvio's to be the best sounding tips for me on the N6.

Also, I must mention the T1x in comparison is like a combo of the N6 and N6pro. It's truly a beauty. The sound stage is not as wide and the mids are def. fatter on the N6 and pro but on Bass EQ mode it really is incredible for $35-$45. However I can really crank the N6 and the T1X hurts my ears at the same volume as It's def. much brighter. I also really like the N6 pro, damnit. I just wish it had the same bass and as the N6 with all that great detail. More to come.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #18,299 of 62,025
Finally laid my hands on these highly rated buds. Updated to v1.22 firmware, very low white noise.

pOKkJxf.jpg
After read some review/comments in here :sweat_smile:, I just order it from AE & take 2-3 weeks for delivery (unfortunately no local seller provide it)...hope it can come less than that....:fingers_crossed:

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #18,300 of 62,025
So, I got my Spunky Beats, Finally. Got to say they sound pretty dang good, but the Touch sensors SUCK! they are either overly sensitive or they don't work at all w/o putting them back in the case. Great small form factor, excellent sound and a real leather strap, Tronsmart, you spoil me. :k701smile: I really like how small they are and they fit almost completely flush so I can use both when sleeping. Unfortunately, I find myself at a point now where all I want to use is my APPs for the transparency and ANC, my twins are 3 and they are constantly screaming and making non-stop noise. I work at home so i pretty much have them in all day and it's a hassle to take them out. with the XM3 I can't hear what anyone is saying anyway. the ambient mode is almost worthless for talking IMO, I really hope sony releases a firmware to boost the mics in them. Anyway, happy Tuesday.

I found the Spunky beats a little too small... or the stem is too short? A little jaw movement and I have to reseat the ear pieces.
BUt you're right,.. I can sleep with them like SSK.
When I up the volume,..I thought the spunky mids start to feel weak under heavy instrumentation (like breaking up or unbalanced volumes - treble gets louder than bass) ,.. kind of like SSK. When I increase the volume, they seem to cross into sibilance
The mpow M5 feels like there is a lot more power in the mids.... less sibilant at higher volumes - bass increases more evenly with treble increase.
Though a bit veiled,.. I kind of like the M5. For its power perhaps..?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back