Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 30, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #17,836 of 62,025
Got the N6 Pro in today and took a quick listen.

These are really mid-forward and a bit strident. They might verge on being bright. The overall technicalities (detail, timbre, etc.) are quite good but the sound signature is definitely a flat frequency response. It has very much the same presentation as the NT01AX (big soundstage and impressive imaging) but without any of the warmth and organic qualities of that older model.

The build quality of the case is much improved over the NT01AX with a nice soft touch rubberized plastic coating. The cutouts for the earpieces also fit better, and the charging ports are magnetized finally. The earpieces themselves are of slightly better build quality than the NT01AX.

I'm going to return these and might try the N6.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #17,837 of 62,025
Has anyone been able to get a replacement from Tronsmart? I contacted them about my imbalance issue but they seem to prefer a refund/return rather than a replacement...

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #17,838 of 62,025
This is how I felt about getting the Powerbeats Pro!

And now I am very glad I got them. I put them through the paces today on a 26mile (42k) run and they still had 56% battery left, enough for another marathon :) Sound and fit are great, I have never been a big fan of using Siri, but today that worked actually really smoothly and was very useful (change volume, new playlist)
What surprised me most is that there is NO runner's thud! I thought the fit is similar to the APP, while in-ear, no full insertion. But I get that thud with the APP, not with the PBP. Also, no pain from that ear hook after 4h.
Overall very happy!

May you reach the same level of happiness eventually with your MW07 plus or go :)
What is this runner's thud? I looked it up, and it's says foot sound resulting from foot impact to the ground. Why would thud be dependent on an earphone?

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #17,840 of 62,025
What is this runner's thud? I looked it up, and it's says foot sound resulting from foot impact to the ground. Why would thud be dependent on an earphone?
The more the earphone seals (and has no kind of venting, which I suspect the PBP might have) the more you hear that thud inside your head, which can be rather annoying. Semi open earphones like the original AirPods or the often lauded X12 don’t have the dreaded thud thanks to their open architecture.
Hope this answers your question. I think earphone reviewers are not super aware of this yet, they prefer focusing on call quality, video lag and in general reading the stars off the box :wink:

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #17,841 of 62,025
With the understanding that there is no one thing upon which a group of audiophiles can agree, is the general consensus that the APPs are one of the best out there right now, with the Liberty 2 Pros and Sony Xm3s a close 2nd? Is there a cluster of 5-7 TWS in the $50-195 range that most can agree are top tier?
It appears that the general sentiment is that the APP are, as a complete package (ease of use, reliable, pocketable, fit, connection) are the top for iPhone users. There are shortcomings: battery life could be better and SQ can best be described as ‘fiercely OK’, like a main stream Volkswagen sound that pleases the masses and offends very few. For me personally a (the?) highlight of 2019.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #17,842 of 62,025
Happy New Decade 202X to all. May 2020 be the year wired IEMs be like landlines
I predict by the end of 2020 I will have a good handful of ANC buds (Bose? Where are you?) and as soon I see an APP clone at 20$ I will jump on that, just for the heck of it :wink:
End of the year we will get APP2 with better battery life, and maybe space gray / rose gold :wink:
I have spoken

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #17,843 of 62,025
The more the earphone seals (and has no kind of venting, which I suspect the PBP might have) the more you hear that thud inside your head, which can be rather annoying. Semi open earphones like the original AirPods or the often lauded X12 don’t have the dreaded thud thanks to their open architecture.
Hope this answers your question. I think earphone reviewers are not super aware of this yet, they prefer focusing on call quality, video lag and in general reading the stars off the box :wink:

Yeah and some people claim they've never noticed the dreaded "runner's thud" while running with IEMs...makes you wonder what kind of music they listen or how discerning their ear is ! Walking (or chewing) is generally enough for me to be annoyed by it.

I haven't tried the PBPs but the APPs were trumpeted as having "vents" for "pressure equalization" (or whatever marketing term they threw in) but frankly the "thud" was still there when I ran with them. I didn't find running with them very enjoyable anyway courtesy of the form factor. It's hard not to come back to the X12s that are really perfect, except perhaps for running in noisy environments (like on a treadmill in a gym because noisy environments outdoors will generally require you to pay attention to what's going on in terms of traffic) but I can't really see how this can be fixed.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #17,844 of 62,025
Yeah and some people claim they've never noticed the dreaded "runner's thud" while running with IEMs...makes you wonder what kind of music they listen or how discerning their ear is ! Walking (or chewing) is generally enough for me to be annoyed by it.

I haven't tried the PBPs but the APPs were trumpeted as having "vents" for "pressure equalization" (or whatever marketing term they threw in) but frankly the "thud" was still there when I ran with them. I didn't find running with them very enjoyable anyway courtesy of the form factor. It's hard not to come back to the X12s that are really perfect, except perhaps for running in noisy environments (like on a treadmill in a gym because noisy environments outdoors will generally require you to pay attention to what's going on in terms of traffic) but I can't really see how this can be fixed.

I think I was not that annoyed by the thud until you kept bringing it up :wink: from then on I could not unhear it :D

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #17,845 of 62,025
Now that you mention it, I did hear plenty of thud through it, and had no idea it depended on the way the iem is configured. For me it's significant as I do land fairly hard during runs. I got a feeling there's not much to reduce for my case. I think I just need to learn to run with less impact, which is crucial for long runs.

That's interesting you say for those that are vented. APP is not fully closed. There's opening to equalize pressure. I wonder what is the best iem for thud reduction, as I'm eager to try to see if it makes a difference for me.

Speaking of pressure, I notice reduction in pressure with APP from before. I think it's due to an update. I don't feel any pressure when ANC kicks in now.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #17,846 of 62,025
It appears that the general sentiment is that the APP are, as a complete package (ease of use, reliable, pocketable, fit, connection) are the top for iPhone users. There are shortcomings: battery life could be better and SQ can best be described as ‘fiercely OK’, like a main stream Volkswagen sound that pleases the masses and offends very few. For me personally a (the?) highlight of 2019.

Thank you! It’s interesting that in wired IEMs there’s consensus on the ZSX/V90/Bl03 tier, T800/S8/A8 tier, but in TWS no general agreement for $49-199 what is good beside APP. Thanks again

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #17,847 of 62,025
Now that you mention it, I did hear plenty of thud through it, and had no idea it depended on the way the iem is configured. For me it's significant as I do land fairly hard during runs. I got a feeling there's not much to reduce for my case. I think I just need to learn to run with less impact, which is crucial for long runs.

That's interesting you say for those that are vented. APP is not fully closed. There's opening to equalize pressure. I wonder what is the best iem for thud reduction, as I'm eager to try to see if it makes a difference for me.

Speaking of pressure, I notice reduction in pressure with APP from before. I think it's due to an update. I don't feel any pressure when ANC kicks in now.

If you can, try the Sabbat x12 or any other semi open. I find that by adding a classic earbud foam they stay in a bit more secure. I have great open sound / soundstage and no thud with them. Plus a bit more awareness of my surroundings as they have terrible passive noise isolation.
As for how your foot lands... took me a while and several thousand km to finally land in a way that my actual foot strike is close to inaudible to others. I am still far from perfect, but it feels natural, which I find most important.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #17,848 of 62,025
Thank you! It’s interesting that in wired IEMs there’s consensus on the ZSX/V90/Bl03 tier, T800/S8/A8 tier, but in TWS no general agreement for $49-199 what is good beside APP. Thanks again
I would not really count the APP in the 50-200$ segment.
I think with TWS it is very different as they come with some many extra bells / whistles (unlike IEMs, which ‘just’ play music). I am talking about waterproof, button vs touch, anc, battery times, volume control, BT version & protocols .... hence there are so many different opinions depending on what ppl find inportant (I.e. I could give a rats buttom about AptX or usb-c)

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #17,849 of 62,025

for sound, there are some general consensus of names that would come up in respective price brackets like the T1C, SSK/anbes 359, Mpow M5, etc.

might be the problem with TWS are that the deciding factors are not only SQ, but also fit, features, size, call quality, and several others..

so there's a wider range of selections and recommendations compared to standard wired IEMs

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #17,850 of 62,025
I think I was not that annoyed by the thud until you kept bringing it up :wink: from then on I could not unhear it :D

feom my experience with wired IEMs, over ear cables would greatly reduce foot thumping.. maybe using those rubber lanyard for airpods and run them over ears could help? this is a theory though, haven't really tested it myself because i currently don't have airpods/similar design TWS :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back