Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #16,156 of 62,014
Hi friends, would like to seek your advise. One of my family members wants a true wireless earbud for Christmas.
She prefers something shaped like airpods, listens to a variety of genres. Budget ~ $100 - 150 USD.
I only use the TRN BT20 but she doesn't like the form factor.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!
If she likes the airpod form factor check out the Liberty Air 2. They get great reviews and are a similar design.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #16,157 of 62,014
Looking at wireless ear buds as my Bose sound sports are dying by inches. I have plenty of great IEMs and cans for detailed listening. I mainly am looking for a pair for phone calls while at the grocery or similar and music at the gym.
I run/cycle and lift. So solid fit, sweat resistance are primary necessities. Microphone and then music reproduction quality.

I've read through here a bit and on other online searches and it seems that the Mpow and QCY TS1 are reviewed favorably. There also is the JLab Audio JBuds from Best Buy for Black Friday.

My question is: Out of the three they range from $15 (QCY), $30 (JLab), or $40 (MPow). Is there an appreciable difference in the sound/microphone quality of these to justify spending more than the $15?

Or is there really a huge enough difference for the higher cost, mainstream brands like B&O, Jabras or Senns? Especially for this use case.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #16,158 of 62,014
Looking at wireless ear buds as my Bose sound sports are dying by inches. I have plenty of great IEMs and cans for detailed listening. I mainly am looking for a pair for phone calls while at the grocery or similar and music at the gym.
I run/cycle and lift. So solid fit, sweat resistance are primary necessities. Microphone and then music reproduction quality.

I've read through here a bit and on other online searches and it seems that the Mpow and QCY TS1 are reviewed favorably. There also is the JLab Audio JBuds from Best Buy for Black Friday.

My question is: Out of the three they range from $15 (QCY), $30 (JLab), or $40 (MPow). Is there an appreciable difference in the sound/microphone quality of these to justify spending more than the $15?

Or is there really a huge enough difference for the higher cost, mainstream brands like B&O, Jabras or Senns? Especially for this use case.

If you want something with great sound quality and great phone call quality get the Tranya B530. They're $60 but have a $15 off coupon on Amazon right now. For $45 it would be hard to do better!

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #16,159 of 62,014
With AirPods Pro, I realized Qualcomm Tue Stereo Plus isn't necessary. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't use that chip, yet left and right earpieces connect independently on my Android. APP does everything well and don't look like a bluetooth headset from the early 2000s.

Nice to know that it also works with Android phone.

However I assume APP still uses master and slave for stereo mode where Qualcomm Tue Stereo Plus connect directly to the phone for both left and right buds. This resulted in lower latency and battery life to the master bud.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #16,160 of 62,014
Nice to know that it also works with Android phone.

However I assume APP still uses master and slave for stereo mode where Qualcomm Tue Stereo Plus connect directly to the phone for both left and right buds. This resulted in lower latency and battery life to the master bud.
Airpods since the first one have already used direct L/R connections.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #16,162 of 62,014
Meanwhile in Canada... 350 new! I remember when I got my 1000X for 330 on Black Friday around the time the 1000XM2 came out...

I've been considering budget options like the Dyplay Urban Traveller 2, EKSA E5 (no AptX but has ANC) and Meizu HD60 (no ANC but has AptX).

Any brands carrying the UFO TWS with AptX? (aside from purchasing directly from Alibaba OEM)
Not all UFOs are the same... they only look the same.

I have a Letscom BE30 that sounds shouty with thin sounding mids and not much bass.
Enter the SSK BT03 - sounds many levels better. The only one advertised as 10mm driver. it has rich sounding mid and high is detailed I think near my limit ( any higher I will think acoustic guitars will start to pierce). Has low subsonic bass that interferes little with mid.

I'm not sure about Kissral18 - it doesn't advertize as 10mm driver.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #16,163 of 62,014
Not all UFOs are the same... they only look the same.

I have a Letscom BE30 that sound shouty with thin sounding mids and not much bass.
Enter the SSK BT03 - sounds many levels better. The only one advertised as 10mm driver. it has rich sounding mid and high is detailed I think near my limit ( any higher I will think acoustic guitars will start to pierce). Has low subsonic bass that interferes little with mid.

I'm not sure about Kissral18 - it doesn't advertize as 10mm driver.
This is absolutely correct. I bought the R18 based on all the UFO hype. While they sound fantastically detailed and clear, they are severely lacking in the low end. Then came the SSK's...what a difference.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #16,164 of 62,014
I hate myself. But I’ve got to know how they sound
Thing is, they look absolutely beautiful. Story time. I went to Hawaii for vacation and took them with me to use poolside. I'd listen and relax for 1.5 to 2 hours, jump in the pool, jump out of the pool, apply sunscreen, resume listening. Walk around with those things in, fill up my soda cup, walk back to lounger, proceed to lounge. Repeat.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #16,166 of 62,014
Little update on my impressions of the FiiL T1x. I don't know why I left out the SSK/Anbes 359 in my comparison. I listened to a couple tracks with the T1X and then the SSK's. I felt like Moses coming out of the desert of thin mids and rolled off bass. If you own the SSK, it's just absolutely Stomps the T1X. It sound is so full. I use the JVC spiral dots with them and it really brings out the highs and high mids. The soundstage is def. much wider and the bass is perfect. But again. If you like the colder sound of the Tevi, Bowmaker etc. You will really like the T1X. In my opinion it's a better version of both. it's high detail are really impressive and it has better bass then both. It's been a month or so since i've heard either, so I'm just pulling a Gamesky here. :yum: and talking about gear I no longer have. LOL.

Hehe,.. loved your description about moses coming out of desert of thin mids... :). I have this dreaded feeling whenever I buy new headphones.
The thin mid headphones tend to get a lot of 5 stars.... Luckily Scarbir . com and your reviews are spot on for me.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #16,167 of 62,014
Nov 26, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #16,168 of 62,014
Anyone have any luck with different inserts for Liberty 2 Pro? I love'em but can't keep them in my ear.

Looking for foam inserts they would accept, or the Christmas Tree shaped silicone...

I think the wings don't work for my ear, as well...

- RickIn Houston
I favor the Comply Smartcore Audio Pro foam tips with the L2P. I don't even use the wings, they bother me, and get a great, stable seal. Of course, you have to roll them up and let them expand, but I also think they improve the sound. Not cheap, $22 for 3 pair. But worth it to me.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #16,169 of 62,014
Anyone have any luck with different inserts for Liberty 2 Pro? I love'em but can't keep them in my ear.

Looking for foam inserts they would accept, or the Christmas Tree shaped silicone...

I think the wings don't work for my ear, as well...

- RickIn Houston
I've been using JVC Spiral Dots with the small wings with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back