Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #15,091 of 62,013
Also agree that it would be great to have a new more organized thread. I've been following for a while and it was difficult to get a coherent sense of the TWS that people have tried without reading through tons of small posts. I'd be up for helping in whatever way I can.

Someone just needs to take on that initiative. This thread is all over place - an updated tier list per price point would be awesome.

By the way, I found the YouTube review that mentions that the bass is more "vibrant" on the mw07+ compared to the originals.

Around 8:24 into it:

So I think the audiophile community needs to definitely take a better look at the updated Plus version.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #15,092 of 62,013
Someone just needs to take on that initiative. This thread is all over place - an updated tier list per price point would be awesome.

By the way, I found the YouTube review that mentions that the bass is more "vibrant" on the mw07+ compared to the originals.

Around 8:24 into it:

So I think the audiophile community needs to definitely take a better look at the updated Plus version.

This review is pretty spot on from my experience. Definitely think that without connectivity issues and lack of AAC, the mw07+ are among the best on the market right now for everything except ANC (which is passable at best). SQ is on point for sure particularly with some mid-preference EQ.

Also, I'm willing to try to create a new thread, the only issue is we need to get people behind it to switch over.

Airpods Pro review coming either later tn or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #15,093 of 62,013
This review is pretty spot on from my experience. Definitely think that without connectivity issues and lack of AAC, the mw07+ are among the best on the market right now for everything except ANC (which is passable at best). SQ is on point for sure particularly with some mid-preference EQ.

Also, I'm willing to try to create a new thread, the only issue is we need to get people behind it to switch over.

Airpods Pro review coming either later tn or tomorrow.

I think that would have to come naturally, but if you start with a first post that has an extensive list of all the well known and highly praised options mentioned in this thread, especially the well known chifi considerations, that would be amazing and super helpful. The community needs it. I don't think it's an easy task though. I also recommend to have links to some of the superb reviews/impressions from this thread.

I mean let's face it, wireless is the future and, even if it's not there yet SQ wise, many of us, including myself, will gladly sacrifice a bit of SQ potential at a certain price range for the sake of convenience and comfort.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #15,094 of 62,013
I just have to share a rant I placed on the Shanling thread about something that I'm sure others have complained about before.

Why don't TWS earphone makers make a case that larger ear tips will fit. Why not just make a bigger hole for them to fit into? It is so frustrating to have to take them off and put them on every time to charge them. :triportsad:

TWS manufacturers I'm talking to you!

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #15,095 of 62,013
also just got my replacement lp2 and put it through the paces. while I still hear when the audio initializes the white noise is noticeably quieter than my older unit. at first, I thought it was no different, then I put on my old ones and it was much more present than I remembered. maybe i had gotten used to it. in any case, I'm satisfied as the sq is just as great.

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #15,096 of 62,013
I think that would have to come naturally, but if you start with a first post that has an extensive list of all the well known and highly praised options mentioned in this thread, especially the well known chifi considerations, that would be amazing and super helpful. The community needs it. I don't think it's an easy task though. I also recommend to have links to some of the superb reviews/impressions from this thread.

I mean let's face it, wireless is the future and, even if it's not there yet SQ wise, many of us, including myself, will gladly sacrifice a bit of SQ potential at a certain price range for the sake of convenience and comfort.

I'll see what I can do to compile that info and start a new thread. I think I'll start by laying out a partial list here and have people weigh in if they don't see something that should be on there.

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #15,098 of 62,013
I'll see what I can do to compile that info and start a new thread. I think I'll start by laying out a partial list here and have people weigh in if they don't see something that should be on there.

Do it as a "True Wireless IEM ranking" thread. Then most posts will be rankings, reasonings and pros/cons. Would be a great way to condense opinions for all to dive in and narrow down what might suit them

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #15,099 of 62,013
Do it as a "True Wireless IEM ranking" thread. Then most posts will be rankings, reasonings and pros/cons. Would be a great way to condense opinions for all to dive in and narrow down what might suit them

Agreed. Although I believe some true wireless earphones aren't really considered "IEMs".

Also, I think comparisons should be highly encouraged and recommended, and that goes not only against other TWS earphones, but against well known wired earphones so people on this site can have a better impression on what to expect.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #15,102 of 62,013
I'm 99% sure the stock tips for the Echo Buds are exactly the same as the Galaxy Buds, and I hated those stock tips. So far my leading candidate for retaining sound quality and still being able to charge are my MS JVC Spiral Dots. I've tried my Tennmak Whirlwinds and Spinft CP-100Z also and both sounded great but either wouldn't sit right to charge or were very hard to get sitting in the right place. The MS Spiral Dots snap into place more reliably. I don't have all my tips with me as I'm at work so I'll let you know when I get a chance to try more!

Meh, the Spiral Dots are pretty finicky to get seated right to charge too... This charging case may be the downfall of these buds.

@webvan So my suspicions about the Echo Buds and Galaxy Buds tips being the same was partially right. They're the same style of shallow insertion, narrow bore tip. They would be a wide bore tip but they've got that rubber lip that cover a good portion of the bore to make it smaller for who knows what reason... The biggest difference is the Echo Buds tips are slightly shorter and slightly fatter overall, but the biggest Echo Buds tips are the same size roughly as the medium Galaxy Buds tips. 20191107_202859[1].jpg 20191107_202915[1].jpg

In the pictures I added, the Galaxy Buds medium tips are on the left, the Echo Buds large tips are on the left with the blue inside.

So far I've not been able to find a tip outside of this style that will allow the Echo Buds to charge reliably. I've got a couple other similar looking sets with wider bores coming from Amazon this weekend. Otherwise, they sound phenomenal with Spinfit CP-100Zs Medium, JVC Spiral Dot MediumSmall, Medium Auvios, and Medium Tennmak Whirlwinds.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #15,103 of 62,013
Thanks for the pics. I'll see how they work for me when the Echo Buds arrives but I generally prefer wide and shallow tips for comfort, a bit like the Jabra Elites Sport, 65Ts (not quite enough to my liking) or the LTA+'s. There can be issue with maintaining the seal with this kind of tips but the Echo Buds have optional wings to take care of that problem it seems.

Having compared the MPOW M5 with the Final E LL and with the Jabra Elite Sport L tips, I find the latter have more "sparkle". The Final E LL are more secure in my right ear but make the bud stick out too much from my left ear and as often (always?) mixing different tips (unless it's just the size) creates an imbalance and different coloration.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #15,104 of 62,013
Thanks for the pics. I'll see how they work for me when the Echo Buds arrives but I generally prefer wide and shallow tips for comfort, a bit like the Jabra Eliste Sport, 65Ts (not quite enough to my liking) or the LTA+'s. There can be issue with maintaining the seal with this kind of tips but the Echo Buds have optional wings to take care of that problem it seems.

Having compared the MPOW M5 with the Final E LL and with the Jabra Elite Sport L tips, I find the latter have more "sparkle". The Final E LL are more secure in my right ear but make the bud stick out too much from my left ear and as often (always?) mixing different tips (unless it's just the size) creates an imbalance and different coloration.

I haven't been using the wing tips at all yet. They tend to hurt my ears more than the extra stabilization helps, at least on my Galaxy Buds they did. I'll try em out this weekend maybe.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #15,105 of 62,013
I'm coming to TWS having been a long time Etymotic user (ER6i to ER4P to HF3). Is it too much to expect any current TWS to equal the transparent resolution and sparkly highs that I get from an Ety BA driver? I tried the APP yesterday but they were "muddy" compared to my Etys, where I feel like I can hear every string on an acoustic guitar ringing out. It would be good to know if I'm expecting too much from TWS at this stage.

even other wired IEMs will have a hard time matching the Ety signature sound, and that kind of sound would only works in noisy environments with that Ety deep insertion.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping that the Amazon Echo Buds may offer something similar to the Etys as they have dual Knowles BAs and seem to be deep insertion. They also fit the Comply foam tips and so are closer to my current Ety+Shure Black Olives set up (old school, I know...).
just be cautious that Knowles driver types are plenty, and sadly not many products would state what type they are using. for instance, i have the Earin M2 which is a single Knowles driver, but the sound is anything but the Etys. it sounds so much warmer in comparison. the Galaxy buds which has micro dynamic driver can be set (via app) much more similar to the Etys, because it has similar lean mids and similar peaks in the mid-highs
Can anyone with the Echo Buds comment on their SQ compared to the APPs (higher end) and/or the SSKs (lower end). I appreciate they're half the price of the APP but I'm trying to gauge how much of a compromise they are. I'm also trying to not be too shocked compared to my Etys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back