Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 30, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #14,536 of 62,112
I will be picking up the Airpod Pros tomorrow. I also have an order in for MW07+ but I might have to cancel if the Airpods impress me enough

I would try them both. The airpods are a nice product. The ANC is the standout feature. It's amazing. Sound quality is not doing it for me. They sound very thin. It's not a lack of bass per se but it's just not full and rich. Basically if you have heard airpods that's how they sound but with a seal. They aren't bad but I'm not buying that they sound better than the pb pro and certainly not the mw07. more listening to be done however.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #14,537 of 62,112
I would try them both. The airpods are a nice product. The ANC is the standout feature. It's amazing. Sound quality is not doing it for me. They sound very thin. It's not a lack of bass per se but it's just not full and rich. Basically if you have heard airpods that's how they sound but with a seal. They aren't bad but I'm not buying that they sound better than the pb pro and certainly not the mw07. more listening to be done however.
I think your description is pretty dead on for the way they sound. I wasn’t able to describe that myself, because I’m a little inexperienced with reviewing headphones, but you summed it up nicely. Some tracks sound better than others, but basically you’re right. I think as a total package they are very nice though.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #14,538 of 62,112
Hmm, thin? Note sure I’m getting thin. OG AirPods with more bass which i find more sufficient for casual listening. Not an audiophile type device but it isn’t intended to be. Keep your open cans.
I will neee to listen more as well as I only spot checked about 7 or 8 songs but was more than satisfied with their sound.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #14,540 of 62,112
I think I may have missed it, but how is the sound quality? what does it compare to?
They are a rebrand from a indiegogo startup called Mezone B6. Weirdly, on the open market they first appeared as Whizzer B6, then as Hieha B6 and recently as again Mezone B6.
These things romove the world from you once you fit them in. Punchy Bass, very rich on the whole 50-200Hz region with a slight depth in 400-600ish perhaps to avoid bleed/coloration.

Mid-range is a bit flat with more emphasis on high-mids, famale voice area. Mids blend smoothly into treble. High treble disappears around 10kHz. (I blame the double plastic mesh filter which I replaced for a more open metal grill. That changed signature to a brighter sound and more comparable to the Sennns.. Bass lost a few db but became faster, no longer ipx7 due to the mod) Anyways, the Bass impressed me more than Momentums, but soundstage was wider on the Sennheiser and more resolving. I was a triple Hybrid bearer, Dunu dn2000, T-peos H300, Altones 250, RHA T20 dual coil etc... those I could really tell what bright and revealing sound was. Also Fiio FH1 connected to Mee audio BTX2 Bluetooh mmcx cable which blows both mentioned tws out of the water. but hated mmcx and the 2 battery modules hanging around my neck. However its the big list of features, very resolving bass, design, extremme isolation, battery, wireless, touch that make these great buds.
found a vid.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #14,541 of 62,112

I expect some surprise and disappointment as far as sound quality goes, however, it is the ease of use and integration that will win me over. I have Sony WH-1000XM2 for plane rides so the Airpods will be for on the move music listening, phone calls, etc. I also constantly switch between devices which makes other brands including the Sony's a pain to use at times. If I did not own the Sony's, I would likely go with the MW07 in a heartbeat for all around use. Critical listening happens at home anyways.

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #14,542 of 62,112
Swap your tips and tip roll. Apple’s seal test, although a good idea, doesn’t work all too well (it gives false positives). I originally thought small would be the adequate size for me (it is with the majority of other headphones using the sensaphonics seal test). Though the bass didn’t dig deep enough, nope, needed medium tips. Added bass, air, and a bit of sound stage.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #14,543 of 62,112
Swap your tips and tip roll. Apple’s seal test, although a good idea, doesn’t work all too well (it gives false positives). I originally thought small would be the adequate size for me (it is with the majority of other headphones using the sensaphonics seal test). Though the bass didn’t dig deep enough, nope, needed medium tips. Added bass, air, and a bit of sound stage.
i agree with this. the mid size out of the box showed a good seal but i could tell one ear wasn't sealed all the way. i think its just checking for leaks with the outside mic....

i have the large ones on now, but may try the mids again.
honestly, my biggest gripe with these things are how hard they are to get out of the case. while not hard, i certainly don't get both on the first attempt like the OGs very often. i usually drop one in the case and have to re-pull

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #14,544 of 62,112
So far I'm pretty impressed with the new AirPods, only one complaint after day one.

On the bus I noticed an almost clipping/distorted sound when we’d hit a bigger bump (maybe 2-3 times per minute). I also noticed it when getting hit with REALLY strong wind gusts on my walk home. I’ve had the same thing on flights when the plane takes off when wearing my Sony XM3 cans. I’m assuming loud noises overload the mics used for NC or something.

Curious if anyone else in noisy situations notices anything similar.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #14,545 of 62,112
So far I'm pretty impressed with the new AirPods, only one complaint after day one.

On the bus I noticed an almost clipping/distorted sound when we’d hit a bigger bump (maybe 2-3 times per minute). I also noticed it when getting hit with REALLY strong wind gusts on my walk home. I’ve had the same thing on flights when the plane takes off when wearing my Sony XM3 cans. I’m assuming loud noises overload the mics used for NC or something.

Curious if anyone else in noisy situations notices anything similar.
I notice it with generally ANC headphones if the seal gets broken. I've heard that the Airpods are not pressurized when it comes to ANC.

For example, with the XM3 full sized when I'm walking and a sudden movement breaks the seal, the breaking of seal (with ANC active) creates a weird sound from the headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #14,546 of 62,112
i am also really impressed with the lack of volume change between ANC, off, transparency modes. i feel like everything else i have used had changed the volume to account for white noise or however it works.

but alas, i really like my Earfun Free's too and will hold on to them. who knows, maybe ill swim in them. they have a great fun sound.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #14,548 of 62,112

A little more listening and I am more satisfied than initially. Coming from the mw07 and liberty 2 pro, the apple lacks the warmth they both deliver. I also switched to prime hd rather than apple music which is a placebo maybe but seemed to improve things. I am content with the sound as part of the overall package but not blown away.

Apple deserves credit for the fit and function. They are super light and basically disappear in your ears. They are easy to get a good seal. As mentioned, the ANC is very good. It blocked almost 100 percent of the cardio fans in front of me making them very useful for the gym. Finally, gotta give apple credit for a flawless launch. Nobody does a release better than apple. Announced monday and shipped to my door in under 48 hours. Well done.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #14,549 of 62,112
Anyone else think the Echo Buds look super similar to the Galaxy Buds? Even the eartips are almost exactly the same.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #14,550 of 62,112
Well, I got home tonight and the Amazon Echo Buds were waiting for me, so I spent some time listening to them at home (and while I walked the dog) to get a sense of how they compare to the AirPod Pros. It's too late to write a detailed comparison, but here are a few quick observations:

• The Amazon Buds insert much more deeply into the ear canal than the AirPod's, resulting in much better passive isolation -- so even though their "Bose Noise Reduction" isn't as strong as the AirPod's ANC, the net result seems about the same. I'll know better after my subway ride in the morning. The downside of their deep insertion is less comfort. The AirPods are so comfortable you can forget you're wearing them, but the Amazon Buds, while not uncomfortable, don't exactly disappear in the same way.
  • The Amazon Buds' sound signature is much brighter than the AirPods'-- but the Alexa app includes an equalizer, so you can pretty much tune the Buds as you like. They apparently have two balanced armature drivers, and they sound very good. I took a look at the connection speed in Console, and they connect at 256kbps, then drop to 244kbps and stay there -- which is not bad at all, and suggests a good, fast bluetooth connection. (The AirPods have a rock solid 256kbps connection.). I need to listen to both the Amazon and Apple earphones a bit more to compare the sound in more detail.
  • It took me quite a while to find tips for the Amazon Buds that fit my ears and still allow the case to close properly (and charge the earphones). The tips that came with the Amazon Buds were all too small for my ears. Most larger tips didn't fit in the Amazon Buds' case. I ended up using the large tips from the Jabra 65t's, and with those tips the earphones sealed, and the bass opened up nicely.
  • Alexa works really well, and the microphones seem great, so I'm expecting that calls will be very clear on the other side. (I'm glad that there are a number of TWEs that are good for calls on the market now.)
  • Finally, the Amazon Buds support fast bluetooth switching, so (like the AirPods) if you're paired with several devices, you can connect to one device without first disconnecting from another device you may be connected to (i.e., the disconnection from the first device happens automatically when you connect to the second device). That's the way it works on all Apple devices with an H1 chip, and the Sonys and the Galaxy Buds also have fast switching -- but not a lot of other earphones have it, so it was nice to see Amazon thought of it here.
  • The Amazon Buds are, of course, about 50% of the cost of the AirPods. On that basis, they're a much better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back