Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #13,861 of 62,069
I actually picked up the Liberty 2 from Amazon, but went to WalMart today and they also had them in stock.

As far as sound, they are similar to the Pros but the bass on the Liberty 2 is a bit deeper & bigger, but less refined. The highs are crisp, yet lack the precision of the Pros. Overall, I think the sound on the Liberty 2 is more exciting, but less defined. There is also a hiss on the Liberty 2, it it’s not as bad as the Pro. The case on the Liberty 2 does not have wireless charging, and even though it’s glossy, it has a sparkle/metallic finish, so it still looks good.

I like the Pros, and at first the hiss didn’t bother me, but now I notice it all the time. While the Pros are technically better and fun, the Liberty 2 are close and still very enjoyable. For me, it’s worth saving some cash and returning the Pros.

The $50 I’m saving may go toward these bad boys:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRLK978/

Thanks for the feedback,I was actually wondering if someone had compared the LP2 and the LP2Pro. It doesn't sound like the "Astria Coaxial" makes that big of a difference then, except for adding some hiss :wink: I've seen people comment that they sound like the WF-1000XM3 but actually stay in their ears, it might have been the LP2 Pro though, not the LP2.

The Soundpeats Truengine SE look interesting with their dual DD and it seems like they could be a good fit for my big ears, no wings though sadly. I've seen a mention in the comments of a Truengine 2 with wireless charging and "wings" but can't see them on Amazon.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #13,862 of 62,069
The Mavin's have a surprisingly wide range (for a bluetooth headphone) and appear to be fairly flat to my ears and don't tend to favour low end to much. The sound signature really reminds me of the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's although perhaps a little more congested when the music gets busy.

I have a fairly embarrassing collection of bluetooth headphones including the Sony WH1000XM2, Apple Airpods, SoundPeats and the BT Transfer from Status and the Mavin's sound easily as good as the Transfer's and definitely more accurate than the others I've mentioned.

I did have problems getting a good fit when I first got them - care need to be taken to ensure you equalise the air pressure in your ears - once you've done this the sound really opens up.

The only couple of issues that I have is that the case could be more solidly made (the case on the Airpods is really well made) and the sound tubes are somewhat fat and don't really work with this party tips because they just slip off too easily.

The Marvin's have effectively stopped me from purchasing the Sony Noise cancelling earbuds - I would be very surprised if the Sony's sound anywhere near as good as the Marvin's.

I hope this helps.
I'm finding I'm having a hard time getting a good fit too. The default tips are the right width but they're so long it feels like they're hanging out of my ears rather than resting along whatever the outer flanges of the ear are called. Are you using the stock tips? Besides the fit they're great especially at a mere $120. The compact case is probably my favorite feature though

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #13,863 of 62,069
As much as I like my Jaybird X2's and Freedom 2's, I only use them for my workouts. I haven't found a pair of Wireless IEM's that will keep me from using my JH Audio Layla's. Now if only JH Audio or someone would make a wireless Dongle adapter or something for Custom IEM's.

At $2,725...I don't think you are going to find anything in the Bluetooth realm that sounds better. No offense, but the difference between those and a $100 pair is about 1% of sound quality. But if that's what you want, it's what you want. The problem is that sound quality is lost with Bluetooth, defeating the entire point of extreme high end earbuds, and even though it is getting better and better it is still years away from being 99% as good as wired phones. If that level of quality is the goal, it seems best to stick with wired.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #13,864 of 62,069
Just give me a pair of TWEs with:

Good SQ
Great app with a good EQ and loads of settings like customizable gestures/actions.
Decent battery life (5 hours plus at least 3 charges in the case imo)
Fast charge and wireless charging in the case.
Premium build quality

Both the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay E8 2.0 and Senneheiser comes pretty close, but the first is just simply too expensive (370 Euros) and the latter got so many flaws like the battery draining issue, mediocre battery life, weird gesures (in my opinon).

I wouldn't mind paying 370 Euros for the E8 2.0 if it wasn't for the battery longevity problem (which affects all TWE's). Eventually the battery will degrade over time, It's not such a big deal for headphones with at least 30 hours of battery, there you wont notice lets say a 20% drop that much. However a 20% drop for a pair of TWE's with 4-5 hours of battery life is much worse and noticeable.

If you want value for money with good sound quality, I recommend the Creative Outlier Gold, it sounds almost as good as the best ones on the market and is half the price. May fail you in the gesture controls a bit, but it does have a good app. Also, 14 hr. battery.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #13,865 of 62,069
If you want value for money with good sound quality, I recommend the Creative Outlier Gold, it sounds almost as good as the best ones on the market and is half the price. May fail you in the gesture controls a bit, but it does have a good app. Also, 14 hr. battery.

Personally I had a lot of connection drops with the outlier gold and I sent it back for a RMA. We'll see if they actually can fix it, although I had the normal Airs with a not so great connection as well, but those were actually defective since the battery life didnt last more than about 5.5hr. The Golds generally live up to the battery life which is great. ut I guess they're using an older Qualcomm TWS chipset that simply has a hard time maintaining the connection between the master and slave units. Based on the amazon reviews for both the Air and Gold I'd say it's a common issue.

Personally I wouldnt buy anything that isnt using a TWS+ chipset if you have a Qualcomm based source device, whether that be a phone or an aptx bluetooth transmitter. I've only had the Mavin Air X for a day and a half but it's a massive improvement already since it doesnt stutter or drop at all while my phone is in my pocket in the office whereas both Outliers had issues with my pockets

Edit: connection aside I found them to be near perfect for the price. Personally enjoyed the sound signature, had a decent fit, and the battery life was crazy. Only other (minor) issues were the tips weren't so good at sealing and the button was terrible, but I almost never used it. If they can make the button, the actual switch, larger and lighter, and improve the connection/bt chipset it would be a real winner imo.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #13,866 of 62,069
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #13,867 of 62,069
At $2,725...I don't think you are going to find anything in the Bluetooth realm that sounds better. No offense, but the difference between those and a $100 pair is about 1% of sound quality. But if that's what you want, it's what you want. The problem is that sound quality is lost with Bluetooth, defeating the entire point of extreme high end earbuds, and even though it is getting better and better it is still years away from being 99% as good as wired phones. If that level of quality is the goal, it seems best to stick with wired.

Update to a very old post, but I am now using Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless. It pretty much checks all the boxes for me and has completely replaced all my other wireless earphones. The most killer feature for me is it's Transparent Hearing feature. It makes them perfect for office use. For running or biking, not so much, as there is a lot of wind noise from the mics.

JH Audio didn't have the screw in 4 pin connectors for their Bluetooth adapter when I last checked them out, so I can't say how they sound with Lola's or Layla's.

-Ed

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #13,868 of 62,069
I appreciate your thoughts! I didnt realize you had purchased both - thank you for the insights! The wireless charging wasn't a big deal for me either...

Do you find the Liberty 2 as good for calls and do you feel the mids are recessed at all? Any call quality comparison thoughts with the Backbeat 5100? Thank you!
They function well for calls. Just got off a call a few mins ago and they said I sounded loud and clear. I also left myself a message and it sounded good. Not as good as the BackBeat 5100, but still very usable. Quiet office.

As far as sound, the mids are a bit pulled back, yes. Typical V with the "Signature" sound profile. Obviously, you can mess around a bit with the different sound profiles.

There is still a hiss, which is not as bad as the Pros, probably 25% less hiss, but if you're sensitive to hiss, then these may still bother you.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #13,869 of 62,069
Just FYI, I posted this on the 'Deals' thread as well.

Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless Bluetooth Earphones
List Price: $299.95
Price: $265.93 Prime FREE Delivery
You Save: $34.02 (11%)

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-True-Wireless-Bluetooth-Fingertip/dp/B07J2WF2JW/
If anyone is interested, I'm open to selling my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless for $200 flat (price includes shipping, contiguous USA only, sorry AK & HI). Like-new condition, rarely used. Box + all accessories. PM me.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #13,870 of 62,069
Update to a very old post, but I am now using Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless. It pretty much checks all the boxes for me and has completely replaced all my other wireless earphones. The most killer feature for me is it's Transparent Hearing feature. It makes them perfect for office use. For running or biking, not so much, as there is a lot of wind noise from the mics.

JH Audio didn't have the screw in 4 pin connectors for their Bluetooth adapter when I last checked them out, so I can't say how they sound with Lola's or Layla's.

-Ed

The Momentums are considering one of the best as far as sound quality. Their bulkiness though is a dealbreaker for me. The pass thru features are lost on me as well, as I have no interest in hearing the world around me. I want to be as isolated as in a hyperberic chamber. If I get hit by a car, so be it.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #13,871 of 62,069
Has anyone had their TRN T200 ship? I bought mine on FastTech and it's been in a "Order Received" status for almost a month now. The ETA for shipping gets pushed by 5-7 days every week and their support ticket system seems abysmal.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #13,872 of 62,069
The Momentums are considering one of the best as far as sound quality. Their bulkiness though is a dealbreaker for me. The pass thru features are lost on me as well, as I have no interest in hearing the world around me. I want to be as isolated as in a hyperberic chamber. If I get hit by a car, so be it.

Mostly agree.
However, there is nothing so annoying as when I get IEM's placed just right without a leak and they feel and sound great.....

Then... somebody comes up to talk to you and, without Pass Through, you have to take them out to hear what the heck they are saying. Then go through getting the perfect seal all over again.

With Pass Through you can just touch the button and hear them without removing them. Then when your convo is finished simply push the button to return to your hyperbaric chamber and music bliss.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #13,873 of 62,069
Hello Ladies and Gents. :beerchug:Any good bargains?:ksc75smile: Who has the most TWS now?:balloon: Got a photo spread on the ways. :bulb:Stay tuned.:soon:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #13,874 of 62,069
Hello Ladies and Gents. :beerchug:Any good bargains?:ksc75smile: Who has the most TWS now?:balloon: Got a photo spread on the ways. :bulb:Stay tuned.:soon:
Welcome back! Elvis is in the building!

You'll have to read the last several hundred pages to find out! :p

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #13,875 of 62,069
En Route

$47.99 + $5.00 coupon. Tried to find a promo code, but no luck. One of the speakers is Beryllium, so let's hope these sound better than the traditional dual DD setup!

upload_2019-10-21_12-50-45.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back