Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #13,186 of 62,114
Excellent impressions. Doesn't sound like they are a game changer, but for $99, sounds like they are pretty good.

What did you think of the Sound ID? Did it work or was it more of a gimmick?

Thank you, sir!

SoundID worked better than I expected to help one customize the sound Sig. However, I'd prefer a 12 band eq fully in my control after it made its rec for fine tuning.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #13,187 of 62,114
And so the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 is in...

QYEJSNI.jpg

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #13,188 of 62,114
I need to get you some T5's and some SSK's because, my man. The Tevi's aren't that great IMO. The sound really good, but have all the bass sucked out of them like a twinkie with no filling. (American Reference LOL) I was shopping for Sub woofers once and someone told me, Have you ever heard anyone say, "Whoa! that's too much bass!" no, because it's the easiest thing to turn down with the least amount of cost to the music, but you can't add bass where it doesn't exist. At least not with the EQ's I have. I'm willing to be wrong about that. Whether or not that's true is objective, but I can guarantee you can make a T5 sound very close to the Tevi, but why would you want to, I want a Tevi with more bass, not a ridiculous amount, but just enough to feel it.
I have the Anbes 359, the "originals" with Anbes printed on the case. And I still have the QCY T2C. (Sold/returned all the others I've bought, like the Senn' MTW, B&O E8 2.0, Tiso i4 etc)

After all the discussions I had to test the 3 TWS I still own with all the tips I have in my drawer. (Mandarines by Symbio, Comply Foam, Flexfit, Spinfits (Cp100Z etc), and several stock silicone tips for different in-ear headset I've owned)

I used quite some time listening and changing the tips.
Tevi: First of all, the Flexfit I've boasted about, don't match the best with my Tevi. Neither does the stock tips. The best for bass was with a medium size Symbio, but it was a bit harsh/sibilant? in the highs. And it didn't fit the case for charging.
Best overall was a silicone tip I don't know where it came from :) (see pics). It gives me plenty of bass, punchier and deeper than the Flexfit for ex., brilliant vocals/mids and detailed highs without any sibilance.
Anbes/QCY: Matching the Anbes and QCY with tips were easy. Getting a good fit and seal with those two is easier than with the Tevi. Actually went for the Tevi stock silicone tips for the QCY, and one of the Spinfits for the Anbes.
I could pick 4-5 tips for both of them, since fit, seal and sound was very similar with several tips. Very different as to the Tevi.

Sound and bass.
Anbes (and also the QCY) has more bass compared to the Tevi. Without a doubt.
BUT with the right tip, I would pick the Tevi every time. It's much more open and detailed, soundstage is wider than most TWS and there's more than enough bass. Really there is. And the bass is playing with "PRaT". (Pace, rythm and timing)
Maybe I like the more balanced sound than you do, as especially the Anbes sound bass heavy and muddled in comparison, in my ears. I actually like the sound with the QCY better than Anbes.

I've been listening to the Tevis when I write this, with all kinds of music styles, and they sound excellent with everything. With more than enough bass. Again, in my ears and to my taste. :)
IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3806.JPG

Edit: These are my settings for my Sony WH-1000XM3. I guess that show my taste in sound settings too. I cannot listen to them with the default setting.
Merknad 2019-10-10 131007.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #13,189 of 62,114
The most comfortable tips for me are the Auvio's from Radioshack, I use the Mediums and only push them in as far as I have to for a seal. My MS spiral dots work well too, but they start to bug me after a an hour or so because I have to push them in further.
Thanks, well no RatShacks in my current neighborhood (actually didn't they all close?) so can't give the Auvio's a try. I guess I'll have to import some Spiral Dots (JVC right ?) at some point. My problem with the Anbes is that regardless of the tip (and I'd have to say the stock ones work best) I only get a good seal/SQ when I tuck them slightly inside/bottom of my ear but with (light) movement they tend to pop out :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #13,190 of 62,114
Has anyone here tried both the lypertek tevi and the shanling mtw100? Can’t decide which to get oh and any reviews on the soundcore liberty 2 pro’s yet?
The Lypertek should be coming my way. Will definitely compare them intensively.

These Bomaker sound AMAZING, so rich and engaging.

They easily beat my previous QCY, Anbes and Creative Outlier, for real.
Hmm... maybe I should pull the trigger.

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #13,191 of 62,114
I live in the Samsung ecosystem (as opposed to Apple) and would like to make 2 points related to that:

1. Not sure if this is real, or a result of expectation bias, but I've found that, all considered, among my TW collection, those that use aptx tend to sound better than those using AAC. This would be consistent with what I've read here that AAC is not implemented as well in Android as it is in Apple products. So, going forward, I'm not considering buying anything that doesn't support aptx. This eliminates the wf-1000xm3 for example, which supports SBC and AAC but not APTX. Would be interested if others could confirm or refute my hypothesis here.

2. I've discovered that I can assign the music app (really, just a controller) on my Galaxy watch to the double press function of one of the buttons, and therefore bring it up quite quickly and easily. Once there, I can control the volume of the music player on my phone which is quite handy for those TWE that don't have integrated volume control (like YOU, House of Marley Liberate Air). I suspect this can be accomplished with other smart watch/phone combos as well. Makes it easier than grabbing the phone from my pocket or wherever if I'm in the middle of something. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #13,192 of 62,114
I live in the Samsung ecosystem (as opposed to Apple) and would like to make 2 points related to that:

1. Not sure if this is real, or a result of expectation bias, but I've found that, all considered, among my TW collection, those that use aptx tend to sound better than those using AAC. This would be consistent with what I've read here that AAC is not implemented as well in Android as it is in Apple products. So, going forward, I'm not considering buying anything that doesn't support aptx. This eliminates the wf-1000xm3 for example, which supports SBC and AAC but not APTX. Would be interested if others could confirm or refute my hypothesis here.

2. I've discovered that I can assign the music app (really, just a controller) on my Galaxy watch to the double press function of one of the buttons, and therefore bring it up quite quickly and easily. Once there, I can control the volume of the music player on my phone which is quite handy for those TWE that don't have integrated volume control (like YOU, House of Marley Liberate Air). I suspect this can be accomplished with other smart watch/phone combos as well. Makes it easier than grabbing the phone from my pocket or wherever if I'm in the middle of something. Just wanted to throw that out there.

BobJS,
Since you are in the Samsung domain you probably know this, but I thought I'd mention anyway that I've had awesome results over the years using Samsung's "Adapt Sound" feature that (IMO) accurately compensates for your personal hearing deficiencies. I am a former professional musician (the loud stuff) and I am, let's say, at the point in life where hearing loss is a thing - so it's a double whammy for me. I LOVE that feature. Also, I am not above saying that sometimes I turn on Dolby Atmos for an especially articulated sound stage. That's probably blasphemy to say here, but hey, I said it.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #13,193 of 62,114
I didn't even think to try to find an app to update the Nuarl until you mentioned it, so thank you! Do you know what else may have improved?

I am not sure. I sent Nuarl an email wondering if they could do a firmware update for lights blinking when in standby mode, as most Chinese pairs don't blink after connecting. I thought I would complain about the hissing again for good measure, and they told me they fixed the hissing and that I can update my set with the app.

FIrst thing I thought was that the hiss is still there, but it is low enough now that it doesn't interfere with music that has quiet parts or videos. I think my tinnitus is louder than the hiss now, before it was completely masking it.

It makes a big difference for classical music with soft parts that grow, I find. Instruments used to compete with the hiss.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #13,194 of 62,114
BobJS,
Since you are in the Samsung domain you probably know this, but I thought I'd mention anyway that I've had awesome results over the years using Samsung's "Adapt Sound" feature that (IMO) accurately compensates for your personal hearing deficiencies. I am a former professional musician (the loud stuff) and I am, let's say, at the point in life where hearing loss is a thing - so it's a double whammy for me. I LOVE that feature. Also, I am not above saying that sometimes I turn on Dolby Atmos for an especially articulated sound stage. That's probably blasphemy to say here, but hey, I said it.

I can confirm this with my experience only. At least on my S8+, AAC sounds worse than on iPad.
Thank you for the smartwatch tip, although I still prefer being able to assign the double-tap to something else like Next Song. It's quicker for me to press the watch's buttons than reaching my ears sometimes.

BobJS,

Can you go in detail what Dolby Atmos does on Samsung? What are the changes? I might need to reflash my phone to test out the feature :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #13,195 of 62,114
Nope, just 'because it's there, looks nice and is not silly overpriced' was not reason enough .. even at 40USD from Ali I would never really consider those (I am getting better at impulse control) ... plus I am hoping that maybe Jaben still gets the Shanling by tomorrow :D

good for you! and it's your lucky day, they just posted on their FB page that the Shanlings are already in! I might also drop by tomorrow to have a listen. :wink:

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #13,199 of 62,114
Might just have forgotten you :expressionless:

Yeah, the nice sales guy was a bit confused in general .. I called his phone while in shop so he has my number ... half hour later he calls me 'I got a missed call from this number?' :D

Interesting combo offers ... was just looking up the "1MORE Lightning Active Noise Cancellation Dual Driver" ... reviews on Amazon are not that great though .. and appears to be an older model (pre-iPhone8) :D

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #13,200 of 62,114
Does anyone have the Powerbeats Pro and the Sony WF-1000XM3? I would like to know which you prefer as far as sound quality. I am/will be using an iPhone with these.

Close call SQ wise. I find the PB Pro to suit my tastes very well. They are very punchy and dynamic without going over the top. The Sony sound good too. I would probably base my decision on whether you need ANC versus sweatproofing. Also, the PB Pro fit me like a dream but the Sony fit was fussy. My $200 would go to the PB pro particularly since you are on Ios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back