Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #7,471 of 62,011
Thanks Slater, I thought Kopiokaya said the same thing like 10 days ago... well, on that occasion I also skimmed through that whole cable gate ... and that the 20S will not have as much improvement as I might have hoped (somehow I thought I had read ipx5 coming) ... now I am curious what KZ might come up with

Totally agree...
I know KZ has had some issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but hopefully their next set will improve on that...
Very interested

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #7,472 of 62,011
I am curious to see what Sony comes up with. So far they have been trailing behind most of the competition in the wireless earbud market. They have to up their battery life and decrease the size of their earbuds both by about 50%. If they can do that, they should have a good competitor to challenge with.
Let's hope they increase battery life as priority #1. That really killed the WF-1000X for me. It would die mid-workout.

These look compelling, have ANC, and 10 hours battery life on a single charge. Not out yet, but likely specs out the same as the one below. Interesting point, they just use the phrase "USB Cable" in the pre-launch description as opposed to "Micro USB Cable", which appears in the product description for little brother.
https://cleeraudio.com/product/ally-plus/

The non-ANC version is already out, and it specs out nicely. Someone go buy it and let me know! :p
https://cleeraudio.com/product/ally/

- BT 5
- AAC, aptX
- 10 Hour Battery
- IPX5

BUT...

- Micro USB *cringe*

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #7,473 of 62,011
Let's hope they increase battery life as priority #1. That really killed the WF-1000X for me. It would die mid-workout.

These look compelling, have ANC, and 10 hours battery life on a single charge. Not out yet, but likely specs out the same as the one below. Interesting point, they just use the phrase "USB Cable" in the pre-launch description as opposed to "Micro USB Cable", which appears in the product description for little brother.
https://cleeraudio.com/product/ally-plus/

The non-ANC version is already out, and it specs out nicely. Someone go buy it and let me know! :p
https://cleeraudio.com/product/ally/

- BT 5
- AAC, aptX
- 10 Hour Battery
- IPX5

BUT...

- Micro USB *cringe*

The Micro USB doesn't bother me. Actually, I've never understood what the issue is there for some. USB-C may have faster speeds, ok, but the case shouldn't take very long to charge regardless and considering the case is what is charging the earbud, it shouldn't be an issue most of the time.

The Cleer Audio Ally series popped up recently in the forum. It has some promise, and the size is reasonably appealing. They could be a bit smaller, but I think they will serve the needs. I don't know much about Cleer Audio other than their primary sales are in Europe. They do look like a good competitor though. I'd be curious to read some reviews that discuss how they function in practice and how they sound.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #7,474 of 62,011
USB-C may have faster speeds
USB-C does not have faster charging speed. USB 3.0 does. USB-is only the physical connector, and most implementation of USB-C on accessories are USB 2.0. The advantage of USB-C is having one connector and one cable for all your device. Both my laptop and my phone charge via USB-C, so having a wireless headphone charging via USB-C would mean I have to carry only one charging brick and one cable for all my devices.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #7,475 of 62,011
USB-C does not have faster charging speed. USB 3.0 does. USB-is only the physical connector, and most implementation of USB-C on accessories are USB 2.0. The advantage of USB-C is having one connector and one cable for all your device. Both my laptop and my phone charge via USB-C, so having a wireless headphone charging via USB-C would mean I have to carry only one charging brick and one cable for all my devices.

I just have one micro usb cable and then 3 tiny adapters for usb-c, lightning and wm port

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #7,476 of 62,011
The advantage of USB-C is having one connector and one cable for all your device.

I'm in the same boat. Even picked up a couple USB-C to microUSB adapters so I can use my type-C cable for my microUSB earphones.

Type-C would be nearly mandatory in order to check all the right boxes.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,477 of 62,011
I'm in the same boat. Even picked up a couple USB-C to microUSB adapters so I can use my type-C cable for my microUSB earphones.

The connector itself is also reversible, so if you have kids running around (or wife :p), they won't mess up the port by trying to jam them in upside down. This has happened a few times, hence one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Micro USB (even before there was USB C). That, and the fact it minimizes the number of cables. When you have 5+ people in your household, it begins to matter. LOL! USB C to USB C also decreases the port footprint on computers and again, gives you a seamless reversible connector. Plus, it just looks better. I'm all about things being "even". If a headphone adjustment slider is looser on one side, I'll exchange the headphone for another one. Don't even get me started on the click consistency of buttons. Yes, I have issues...major, major, issues.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #7,481 of 62,011
Page up and down with pictures, features, bragging and more bragging... but codecs? Nope, that seems to be a secret... What?

It just goes to show that most consumers are just dumb sheep and only care about a brand name or if an Instagram influencer or PewDiePie recommends it. Or at least that’s how most manufacturers see the average consumer.

Ask a random Beats owner on the street what size drivers are in their headphones, what material the diaphragm is made out of, or what the impedance rating is. They’ll look at you like you’re from outer space, right before they go on and on about how cool the headphone color matches their tennis shoes and flat-billed baseball hat.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #7,482 of 62,011

Unless you have a Android phone or laptop from the past 2-3 years it's not as much of an issue. I'm fine with paying 10-15$ more for a Type C port but I suspect the production cost is holding manufacturers back. Astrotec decided on microUSB for their first run of S80 but says they might switch to type C for the second batch. Still, I am somewhat appalled by higher brands like Audio-Technica holding back due to such.

Those type C to micro adapters are nice but hard to come by. Most legitimate manufacturers don't sell them because they are against USB-IF standard, though I see Miniso carries them (though their type C to A cables already seem dodgy in terms of compliance). I have a cheap one I use for charging my audio devices but it has got somewhat loose. I wouldn't trust them for data transfer. Any particular recommendations?

Also, few type-C charging TWS are compatible with Type C to Type C/USB PD. Maybe some of the more expensive ones do, but even the RHA TrueConnect doesn't support charging Type C to Type A.

Can someone confirm if Sabbat E12, Creative Outlier Air and NuForce support PD?

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #7,483 of 62,011
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #7,484 of 62,011

Why? Cables are easily enterchangable and don't take up much space. What is the harm in having one small cable thrown in a suitcase or pocket of a backpack. I get the desire for a universal cable, but its not like having two is a major inconvenience.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #7,485 of 62,011
Why? Cables are easily enterchangable and don't take up much space. What is the harm in having one small cable thrown in a suitcase or pocket of a backpack. I get the desire for a universal cable, but its not like having two is a major inconvenience.

It's not a major inconvenience, no. But I really want to have everything on one - a nice retractable USB-C cable. And when you have a few cables in the bag they tend to get tangled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back