Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #7,336 of 61,389
I don’t want to completely lose credibility on this site by admitting this, but I actually enjoy listening to these Syllables more than I enjoy listening to my Sennheiser MTWs — probably because they fit better and I get a much better seal (amplified by the fact that they cost literally 1/10 of what the Sennheisers cost, which appeals to my frugal nature).

Credibility isn’t about having the most expensive gear. Unless you’re the member at an exclusive stuck-up luxury yacht club (who wears white Polo shirts with the arms of a sweater tied around the neck).

It’s exactly what you admitted - being open minded enough to find gear you like, and recognizing that you don’t always have to spend a lot of money to do so. And then sharing your unbiased impressions with others.

That gives you more credibility than anything in my mind.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,337 of 61,389
I use the Syllable S101s with my iPhone and Mac. I’ve tested that they connect using AAC on the iPhone and either AAC or aptX on the Mac, depending on the Bluetooth Explorer settings I use. They definitely don’t sound lifeless to me. I’ve been working at my desk most of the day today, and I’ve been listening to them for extended periods. Because of the very strong bass, the sound is lush, warm, and non-fatiguing. But even though the bass is pronounced, because of the separate drivers (perhaps), the bass doesn’t muddy the mids or highs and the treble is still very much present. They just have a very easy, enjoyable sound. I don’t want to completely lose credibility on this site by admitting this, but I actually enjoy listening to these Syllables more than I enjoy listening to my Sennheiser MTWs — probably because they fit better and I get a much better seal (amplified by the fact that they cost literally 1/10 of what the Sennheisers cost, which appeals to my frugal nature).
I meant lifeless with the included tips. They shine better with other tips for sure.

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,338 of 61,389

Mainly my iPhone :wink:

Oh, not what you wanted? Ok, best pairing I get these days with the KZ AS06. Sounds fantastic and noise isolation is superb!

But I am quite active with changing things up. In .75mm flavor I have a bunch more: KZ zs5, trn v20, kz zs3 & on the earbud side the Rose Masya
I also ordered the MMCX version of the BT20 for a few more options I have

Oh I'm sorry you have to put up with an iPhone.... :wink:

I use my 12-ish year old Altec Lansing UHP336's (UE SuperFi's rebrand) that I absolutely love. But I want to check out KZ ZS7's and AS06's too. Going to wait for BT20S's and see what else is good at be that time.

Btw, tried the V80's but they hissed horribly with BT20.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #7,339 of 61,389
I felt the Eartips that came with them sounded too closed in and depleted the treble as lifeless. With Anbes tips they sounded alot clearer. Gonna test with other tips and see if I can get a better soundstage. Have you tried them with an android box, fire stick or HD mp3/ Flac player?

does the anbes and syllable uses regular iem tips (and still fits on yhe charger) or does it have to use that typical shorter TWS tips?

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #7,340 of 61,389
I actually enjoy the BT20 a LOT. They totally rekindled my passion for my IEMs and are too blame for many more that are now in the mail. I saw the announcement for the bt20s and they should drop on AliX any day now. Let’s see when KZ has theirs ready.

I will be able to share my thoughts on the Mifo 05 pro in about a week. From what I read so far, the BA does not seem to elevate them to ‘must have’ ... let’s see

you know what the Mifo excels at for me? it's a great showering TWS :ksc75smile:
it's the only one that I'm comfortable enough to be using in that situation without fearing it would die on me. soundwise, it sounds good at higher volume, so i only use it occasionally because it's not healthy for the ears

I'm eyeing on the Syllable, but also holding off to see the next BT20 version. if it's good, i think i would buy a couple for my mmcx iem and earbud. i wish it has volume control and better charging system.

I'm thinking of buying those detachable magnetic charging cable to make my TRN charge easier

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #7,341 of 61,389
I'm thinking of buying those detachable magnetic charging cable to make my TRN charge easier

That’s how I charge mine. The nice thing is that I no longer have to worry about pushing the micro USB plug into the shell.

I use 2 separate magnetic cables, and plug them into an old USB hub.

One of these days I’m gonna cut the cable apart and make a splitter cable like the stock one. But for now the hub gets the job done.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #7,343 of 61,389
does the anbes and syllable uses regular iem tips (and still fits on yhe charger) or does it have to use that typical shorter TWS tips?

Both earphones are pretty flexible as far as tips are concerned -- the Syllables a bit more so. Both take standard replacements that, generally, fit into the charger. I'm using SpinFit CP100Z tips on my Anbes and they fit in the case fine. Most anything works on the Syllables.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #7,344 of 61,389

That's an awesome idea! Can't believe I didn't think of it before!

Totally buying those tonight!

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #7,345 of 61,389
Credibility isn’t about having the most expensive gear. Unless you’re the member at an exclusive stuck-up luxury yacht club (who wears white Polo shirts with the arms of a sweater tied around the neck).

It’s exactly what you admitted - being open minded enough to find gear you like, and recognizing that you don’t always have to spend a lot of money to do so. And then sharing your unbiased impressions with others.

That gives you more credibility than anything in my mind.

aw shucks ... thanks

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #7,346 of 61,389
Are the Syllable better than the Anbes? No imho. Syllable are still a good choice, but the treble is rolled off which is not bad, but I like the treble to be sparkly clear, but not piersing. Not having a soundstage did not bother me cause I have other TWS that don't, but they all have a sparkly treble, except for the cheapo 4.2. Syllable remind me of the Sabbat X12 I used to own, which I had to return cause the right side had no sound after a couple of days. Call quality(stereo) was great and just as good as the Anbes. The Syllable for some reason won't do Stereo on my android phone with any movie app or YouTube. Only with the phone call I made both were L/R were working, but not if I put on YouTube, Netflix, prime, etc. only the right side works. I tried resetting them, but still only right side working. RH can you check on someone's android phone and see if this happens as well? Anbes works great on my phone and everything is in stereo, so it's weird it works on everything else, but not on my phone. Syllable worked fine on my Cayin N3, android box, android tablet and firestick in stereo.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #7,347 of 61,389
No such problems with the syllable for me. I don't have an issue with the stock tips either. The thing is they open up significantly after burn in. I wouldn't try to change anything or evaluate them until.at least 100hrs of playing.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #7,348 of 61,389
Are the Syllable better than the Anbes? No imho. Syllable are still a good choice, but the treble is rolled off which is not bad, but I like the treble to be sparkly clear, but not piersing. Not having a soundstage did not bother me cause I have other TWS that don't, but they all have a sparkly treble, except for the cheapo 4.2. Syllable remind me of the Sabbat X12 I used to own, which I had to return cause the right side had no sound after a couple of days. Call quality(stereo) was great and just as good as the Anbes. The Syllable for some reason won't do Stereo on my android phone with any movie app or YouTube. Only with the phone call I made both were L/R were working, but not if I put on YouTube, Netflix, prime, etc. only the right side works. I tried resetting them, but still only right side working. RH can you check on someone's android phone and see if this happens as well? Anbes works great on my phone and everything is in stereo, so it's weird it works on everything else, but not on my phone. Syllable worked fine on my Cayin N3, android box, android tablet and firestick in stereo.

No stereo problem with syllable and lg g7 here. The soundstage is narrower than mavins, but I have no problem with the sound. Little boomy maybe, but 30$ for apt-x and qualcomm qcc3020..no brainer.

They fit fine, and case and buds take selection of eartips.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #7,350 of 61,389
@actorlife
Any reason to go for the Syllables over the Anbes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back