Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 15, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,996 of 61,383
Review of the MTW on Engaget: https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/15/sennheiser-momentum-true-wireless-review/

Nothing new really: they confirm the MTW look good, feel good, sound good ... but the controls are not always perfect and the buds have a critical flaw with auto power off and battery management when you place them in their case.

They are tempting to me, but what worries me is that I am not 100% convinced firmware updates can/will fix all the power drain issues while the buds are in their case.

I want to first, thank everyone on this thread for all of the good recommendations. This has become my go to place for wireless.

As far as the MTWs, that’s why I returned mine and kept the masters. I learned from my AirPods, that I’m only going to get around 2 years out of the battery and that’s without abnormal drainage. The more you charge and discharge the faster the battery is going to die. I’ve heard some say to just keep them plugged in whenever possible, but that’s not going to keep the battery from getting killed by having to constantly recharge it. For $300, I want these things to have as long a lifespan as possible. If they do fix with firmware I may reconsider, but I’m not in too big of a hurry, and honestly, I have my doubts anyway. I’m fine with the mw07s, just wish the battery was a little longer.

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #4,997 of 61,383
I demoed the RHA at the airport for about 10 mins while waiting for my flight and I did not have any cut outs as I turned my head and paced around the shop. As far as sound, I thought it was bass-forward and generally sounded good, but it was very consumer grade and only SBC. Transparency was meh and it sounded congested with various tracks.

The RHA has AAC. Confirmed using a mac.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #4,999 of 61,383
I've had the MTW for a week and tonight I was able to spend more than two - three songs with it. I was worried when I first got them there was something wrong with the right ear bud.The left would stay at 100% and the right would be at about 85% in a short period of time. After 3 charge ups and an hour and a half of use tonight the MTW app was showing 62% left and 63% right. To my ears the MTW sounds better than my MEE Pinnacle P1 or my Etymotic ER4.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #5,002 of 61,383
Ps: The jaybird app is really great.You can personalize the sound after your likings.They are decent comfortable (im spoiled,i had the beyerdynamic xelento),the sound is great,they are fully waterproof,14 hours of battery time and only 10 minutes charge i think to get 2 hours of play.Really great bluetooth iems. :)

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #5,003 of 61,383
I went to the store today to confirm the hissing sound on the Nuar. It was noisy in the store, but I definately could hear it on the demo unit after listening carefully for a few minutes.

I also tried the demo Glidic -7000 and also found that aac on it didn't work with my gear. It connects but it doesn't play sound.

I also tried the earin m2 again with spinfits this time. I don't like their soundsig still...

I did find something new though. They had the brand new Taotronic Duo Free. They were about 85$, and had a CIEM shape (according to the info). They were covered in silicon like material, and came with the spinfit cp350 oval tips. They were SUPER comfortable! They had touch controls, and one of the best cases I have seen yet. It is made of pleather, and pocket shaped, kind of square-ish, but really flat.

Sound-wise they were quite nice. A very balanced sound with good balance, nice separation and a decent-average soundstage.

Overall they seemed really polished. Their only flaw is that they only supported SBC. They still had a nice sound, but with female vocals SBC seems to give a weird grain to the voice. When I listened to Coldplay, everything was perfect, but when I switched to Adele, I could clearly hear the weird graininess it had. Like listening to a vinyl, but only for the voice.

It's really too bad. With AAC they would have been super nice. They are maybe the most comfortable TWE I have tried so far.

Anyways, the quest continues. I feel at a weird space. I am not completely satisfied, and it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to go for the MTW or other flagships, but at the same time, maybe I should double down and get something cheap and wait how things go next year. At this point though, I feel like TWE are too useful to not have at least a cheap one. Feels like I opened Pandora's Box.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #5,005 of 61,383
Review of the MTW on Engaget: https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/15/sennheiser-momentum-true-wireless-review/

Nothing new really: they confirm the MTW look good, feel good, sound good ... but the controls are not always perfect and the buds have a critical flaw with auto power off and battery management when you place them in their case.

They are tempting to me, but what worries me is that I am not 100% convinced firmware updates can/will fix all the power drain issues while the buds are in their case.
Problems like auto power off are a straight up nono for me. They destroy everything that should be practical about tws. It's why I dislike the Xiaomi Airdots and loathe a generic sports set I have. And why I love the QCY QS1, for not doing anything like that. They just work - like they have to.

I can't imagine what my reaction would be if a set as expensive as the MTW would have those shabby connection problems.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #5,006 of 61,383
Problems like auto power off are a straight up nono for me. They destroy everything that should be practical about tws.

Fully agree. I can’t comprehend how they didn’t detect the issue during their development/testing phases (or if they did, how they though it would be Ok to release a premium product with this kind of problem). It is ruining usability and as soon as they got released the internet was full of users reporting the problem.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5,007 of 61,383
Fully agree. I can’t comprehend how they didn’t detect the issue during their development/testing phases (or if they did, how they though it would be Ok to release a premium product with this kind of problem). It is ruining usability and as soon as they got released the internet was full of users reporting the problem.
Is there any way to manually turn off the senns?

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #5,010 of 61,383
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back