Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,311 of 62,032
Nov 25, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #2,312 of 62,032
Bought my Sennheiser MTW and getting it shipped to India after reading the good reviews here. They aren't in stock anywhere except official Sennheiser stores. I bought mine from the San Francisco store. This is the highest ($322 incl. taxes) I've ever paid for any audio equipment. I'm hoping they'll be worth the money.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #2,313 of 62,032
I definitely have that left side hiss (and imbalance) when the 65Ts are connected to my laptop but not to my Android phones (Lenovo P2 and Nokia 8), I must admit it's a bit hard to understand why...

Considering the phones I hooked them up to were a Galaxy S9+ and a Pixel 3, I have a hard time thinking it was a device issue. Unless somehow the newer phones are worse with them. Either way, I'm just done with the brand entirely. Which sucks because everything else about them is great. Comfortable, secure, light, sound good enough, and cheap as hell atm.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2,314 of 62,032
Couldn't take it, ordered the Senns direct from Senneheiser Canada. Figured with 30 day return guarantee I couldn't go to far wrong if I dont like them.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #2,315 of 62,032
Sounds promising!
Please report back on battery life and how they behave themselves in the gym.
Also, could you comment on the microphone quality for calls?

Thanks in advance.

Update!

No complaints on battery life, although I haven't drained them in one sitting so I really can't say exactly how long it lasts.

• The bad:
    • FIT: I'm having minor issues with fit when using silicone tips – I either need to keep readjusting them or they'll slowly slip out. The small tips fit horribly and provide zero isolation, the large tips provide good isolation but pop out quicker, and the medium tips are so far the goldilocks of the bunch – but they occasionally still pop out. This is expectedly worse while working out and sweat gets introduced to the equation. It really started distracting me from my workout when I thought these were going to pop out onto a gross gym floor.
    • TRANSPARENCY MODE: anyone else having issues getting into transparency mode? It's super inconsistent for me, it might only work once out of 5-7 attempts. I've tried different types of double-tapping on the right bud, but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
  • The good:
    • Still sound excellent
    • Foam tips make for a much better fit
      • I have some foam tips that fit pretty well, and they're miles better than the silicone. The friction of the foam really helps keep them in place. I've also ordered the Comply TrueGrip tips so I can check those out as well.
    • No complaints when I tested a phone call with it, although I was inside in a completely quiet room. Curious how it'd fare outside or in a noisier environment.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,316 of 62,032
Update!

No complaints on battery life, although I haven't drained them in one sitting so I really can't say exactly how long it lasts.

• The bad:
    • FIT: I'm having minor issues with fit when using silicone tips – I either need to keep readjusting them or they'll slowly slip out. The small tips fit horribly and provide zero isolation, the large tips provide good isolation but pop out quicker, and the medium tips are so far the goldilocks of the bunch – but they occasionally still pop out. This is expectedly worse while working out and sweat gets introduced to the equation. It really started distracting me from my workout when I thought these were going to pop out onto a gross gym floor.
    • TRANSPARENCY MODE: anyone else having issues getting into transparency mode? It's super inconsistent for me, it might only work once out of 5-7 attempts. I've tried different types of double-tapping on the right bud, but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
  • The good:
    • Still sound excellent
    • Foam tips make for a much better fit
      • I have some foam tips that fit pretty well, and they're miles better than the silicone. The friction of the foam really helps keep them in place. I've also ordered the Comply TrueGrip tips so I can check those out as well.
    • No complaints when I tested a phone call with it, although I was inside in a completely quiet room. Curious how it'd fare outside or in a noisier environment.
I just got my STW's yesterday and when I first put them in and listened to them first I thought they were going to fall out like the Jabra 65t's do for me and that the sound was only slightly better than with my Jabra elite sport. But then I read the manual and turned them a quarter turn towards me and the fit was very secure and that sound dramatically improved. Far better than either Jabra that I have.

-So did you turn the earbuds a quarter turn and they are still popping out?
- And secondly I did have an issue with the right earbud not responding to any taps at all and I ended up having to reset the earbuds.

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,320 of 62,032
F966A096-CE4D-4DBD-B0E0-A88DE239A92B.png So I’m doing a test to see how long the buds last right now at hour one they’re at the following percentage:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,322 of 62,032
I've had mixed feelings about the MTWs since they were announced. When i'm at home, theres not a headphone I own that i'd rather listen to mor than my HD800S. So if theres potentially a TW IEM that satisfies my sound preferences for when i'm out and about that would be my go to, to the point that i'd be content selling my TW1s and 65T's, i'd love that. On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the momentum sound. I read 2 reviews that i felt could be taken with at least a large grain of salt. Based on the wording in these reviews, and the mentions I've seen here of the EQ not being very robust, i'm worried i may not like these at all. But then i feel like the impressions in this thread make the headphones sound flatter and less boomy than the reviews make it sound. Which has really gotten me excited. The weird issues and observations people have shared, E.g. earbuds not charging at all, one dying faster than the other, etc give me some pause, but I've decided to take the plunge and give them a shot. Ordered from amazon because of their return policy, though i definitely hope i won't be returning them.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #2,323 of 62,032
I've had mixed feelings about the MTWs since they were announced. When i'm at home, theres not a headphone I own that i'd rather listen to mor than my HD800S. So if theres potentially a TW IEM that satisfies my sound preferences for when i'm out and about that would be my go to, to the point that i'd be content selling my TW1s and 65T's, i'd love that. On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the momentum sound. I read 2 reviews that i felt could be taken with at least a large grain of salt. Based on the wording in these reviews, and the mentions I've seen here of the EQ not being very robust, i'm worried i may not like these at all. But then i feel like the impressions in this thread make the headphones sound flatter and less boomy than the reviews make it sound. Which has really gotten me excited. The weird issues and observations people have shared, E.g. earbuds not charging at all, one dying faster than the other, etc give me some pause, but I've decided to take the plunge and give them a shot. Ordered from amazon because of their return policy, though i definitely hope i won't be returning them.

I think the EQ is plenty robust. No, you can't adjust indiviudin frequency bands, but it can drastically affect the sound. Wan more of a V shape? You can do that. Want it more linear? You can do that. Want more bass and less treble? Fine. Or perhaps more treble and less bass? Doable. The nice thing is that it allows you to trim the mid-bass without killing the sub-bass, which is what I've done.

Honestly, I think it's more practical and intuitive than a traditional EQ, while being easier to understand for the mainstream. Barring any terrible narrow frequency spikes or dips, all I really care about is the overall shape of the frequency curve and the technical quality of the driver.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,324 of 62,032
I think the EQ is plenty robust. No, you can't adjust indiviudin frequency bands, but it can drastically affect the sound. Wan more of a V shape? You can do that. Want it more linear? You can do that. Want more bass and less treble? Fine. Or perhaps more treble and less bass? Doable. The nice thing is that it allows you to trim the mid-bass without killing the sub-bass, which is what I've done.

Honestly, I think it's more practical and intuitive than a traditional EQ, while being easier to understand for the mainstream. Barring any terrible narrow frequency spikes or dips, all I really care about is the overall shape of the frequency curve and the technical quality of the driver.
Awesome! Your description of the EQ gives me hope i'll find a sound i like. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back