Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,846 of 61,363
Jabra Elite update:

Damn, I just heard the hiss come up when I had the player paused for a duration. I didn't hear it initially as I mentioned previously. It would switch the hiss intensity left and right earpieces back and forth at some point.

It was never an extreme hiss for me, and like you said it was only during silences during playback or briefly during a pause. If the song stopped for a few seconds the hiss would go away after a moment. Was such a chronic issue though that I just couldn't keep up with the damn things.

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,847 of 61,363
Oh no

https://www.amazon.co.jp/オーディオテクニカ-audio-technica-完全ワイヤレス-Bluetoothイヤホン(グレー)audio-technica-ATH-CKR7TW-GY/dp/B07H94MW1H

If you start translating the early reviews of the Audio Tecnica ATH-CKR7TW on google translate they are complaining about audio lag, and the headphones being very bright and tiresome.

I can't stand treble heavy / especially bright headphones.

Three out of the six reviews are also complaining about fit, saying that they don't fit well.

If those reviews are anything to go by, I'd say the RHA look like a better buy over the ATH. Hopefully, Sennheiser pulls through and will dispatch my momentum true wireless tomorrow!!!
Looks like a perfect TWS is hard to come by at this moment. I myself am waiting for RHA Trueconnect to arrive

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,849 of 61,363
RHA seem to be available in the UK - their website does not show out of stock. Has anyone received theirs recently? Maybe RHA has fixed the firmware issues.

It's tempting to order those too but I have a feeling it'll be worth holding out for the Sennheiser. I wonder if the Senns will have fast charging like the RHA.

Nov 14, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,850 of 61,363
RHA requires, afaik I know the return of the unit to update the firmware, there's no OTA. However they are in stock in the UK, since they're UK based I imagine, and are available at Amazon UK for example. I've read mixed reviews on the RHA, sonically they are meant to be amazing, and a great fit too. A few others have stated their units are defective, with no clear idea of what the defect is. It could be first production problems, and the second batch might be fine.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,851 of 61,363
Having to mail the unit in for a firmware update is an even harder "no" for me than a lack of aptX/AAC. Missing a codec might be an oversight or placing priorities elsewhere and hey SBC can sound damn fine for most lossy files, but needing to physically mail the pieces in is just asinine.

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,852 of 61,363
this is odd... I've been using my 65T exclusively on my tablet, because it doesn't exhibit imbalance like when i use it on my Note8 phone..but yesterday i randomly picked it up to use with my note8, and surprisingly... it didn't have imbalance issue anymore..that's odd. so i use it until now and crosschecked it with my other headphones and iems (just to make sure it's not just my brain that shifted perception to fix the imbalance), and I'm happy to say (and really deeply puzzled, because i don't know how it happen) that it doesn't have imbalance anymore..

Edit: if i max out the volume on the earpiece (until there's a clicking prompt sound), then the sound would have imbalance again. but if i maxed the volume on my phone, then increase the volume on the earpiece gradually while also reducing the volume on the phone to about 70%(so i have a slight headroom to increase volume on my phone later) the imbalance problem went away

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,853 of 61,363
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #1,854 of 61,363
Here is two reviews (in Japanese) that I could find for the CKR7TW:

https://www.gizmodo.jp/2018/11/audio-technica-ath-ckr7tw.html
https://www.ear-phone-review.com/entry/2018/11/13/【完全ワイヤレスイヤホン_audio-technica_ATH-CKR7TW_レビュー】見通

The second review is less positive I think and noted the 0.3 seconds delay.

I'll see how it goes when I got mine.

do let me know if you received it, really curious about the sound compared to the Earin and the Sony.
on the side note, my pamu scroll has been sent my way, i hope it get here soon

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #1,855 of 61,363
Hi all. Back onto this thread (which I started) after a long time away. I bailed this thread at the start of this year, because it seemed true wireless earbuds weren't mature enough yet, and so I went for a plussound BT cable to ditch the wires.

Sadly, I discovered this week that it seems I've lost my headphones somewhere on my commute. My beloved custom-sleeved IE80s and plussound are nowhere to be found. :frowning2:

Unless they turn up in the next few days, this means I'm going to have to replace them - which makes me very sad, because they were fantastic-sounding, comfy, and convenient. And also because it means I have to go through the rigmarole of choosing a new set of IEMs. <sigh>

So, having had an initial look, it seems like the current best wireless options are likely to be:
  • Jabra Elite 65T (or one of the sports variants) - which everyone seems to rate massively and appear to be the best choice right now.
  • Sennheiser Momentum true wireless, which I gather aren't going to be available for another few weeks (and look quite pricey)
The ATH and MWs sound interesting (I've flicked back through the thread but there's literally hundreds of posts to read....).

What else should go on my shortlist? Is there any such thing as a custom-moulded true wireless IEM yet (or has anyone come up with custom-moulded sleeves for any of the better brands yet)? I can get some Comply foams, but after a few years with custom-moulded sleeves, it's going to be hard to have anything else.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #1,856 of 61,363
Hi all. Back onto this thread (which I started) after a long time away. I bailed this thread at the start of this year, because it seemed true wireless earbuds weren't mature enough yet, and so I went for a plussound BT cable to ditch the wires.

Sadly, I discovered this week that it seems I've lost my headphones somewhere on my commute. My beloved custom-sleeved IE80s and plussound are nowhere to be found. :frowning2:

Unless they turn up in the next few days, this means I'm going to have to replace them - which makes me very sad, because they were fantastic-sounding, comfy, and convenient. And also because it means I have to go through the rigmarole of choosing a new set of IEMs. <sigh>

So, having had an initial look, it seems like the current best wireless options are likely to be:
  • Jabra Elite 65T (or one of the sports variants) - which everyone seems to rate massively and appear to be the best choice right now.
  • Sennheiser Momentum true wireless, which I gather aren't going to be available for another few weeks (and look quite pricey)
The ATH and MWs sound interesting (I've flicked back through the thread but there's literally hundreds of posts to read....).

What else should go on my shortlist? Is there any such thing as a custom-moulded true wireless IEM yet (or has anyone come up with custom-moulded sleeves for any of the better brands yet)? I can get some Comply foams, but after a few years with custom-moulded sleeves, it's going to be hard to have anything else.

Custom sleeves (if somebody makes them) would be a pain since you would have to remove them everytime as they will not fit in the charging cases for the iem’s

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,858 of 61,363
It was never an extreme hiss for me, and like you said it was only during silences during playback or briefly during a pause. If the song stopped for a few seconds the hiss would go away after a moment. Was such a chronic issue though that I just couldn't keep up with the damn things.
I don't know what relative level would be considered extreme, but it was a lot like when you plug an iem to a high gain tube amp.

Something I notice is when you pause and play, the left would get louder than right (I don't like this as it might be excessive that I hope doesn't damage my hearing ) at the start of the resume play. After that, it seems to balance out. Is the left master?

Something is going on when it's paused. This is why true wireless is not straightforward as simple wired. I like that wired is simple as send analog to the transducer, and that's it. True wireless creates theses problems that wired cannot face.

It's good enough now, but there's some to go if to be reliable as wired. I want stability and high bitrate codec, stable connection with high bitrate. I realized high bitrate breaks up with BT under certain conditions, and can see why they don't implement it on TW as there's already left and right earpiece stability issues.

As far as noise cancelling. I was surprised how better active noise cancelling rids of airplane engine noise better than my custom iems. I hope we can get ANC performance on par with 1000XM3 with a Sony TW in the future. That and stable LDAC connection, I would be prettry thrilled. For flights, with option of wired connection with the ANC TW iems.

If we can top quality sound with top performing ANC TW iem (with wired possible ANC on for flights) with stable high bit rate connection, it would truely become my all around, epitome iem. It would be the one that does everything.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,859 of 61,363
So annoying that the Senns are delayed. If they'd been released today I'd have just ordered them straight off the bat. Now I just have to decide whether I can live with the crappy Samsung headphones I have for a month until they're released.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,860 of 61,363
I was so close to getting the E8. But my urges have been calmed with the havit haha.

I'm really tempted to snatch a pair of Havit G1Ws. All reviews i found so far seem to agree on this model being a really good value for the money, and it ticks a lot of boxes for me including Qi-charging - which i'm surprised is a feature no other manufacturers seem to even consider.

Could anyone confirm these are actually BT 5.0? I have read people complaining that the G1 is actually 4.2, which would be disheartening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back