Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 25, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #1,501 of 62,039
here's a little mod that i did on my 65t tips:
i use a cheap wide bore tips, cut the stem a bit so it's about the same length as the jabra's stock tips, then i put it under the stock tips so it create a wider lips.

it really helps as this eliminates/lessen the 65t chance to break the vacuum seal even if i move my jaw or shake my head, also it makes the plastic underside not touching my ears so much, reducing pain.

it also can still fit on the charging case with no problem. and an added bonus: because of the slight width increase, the earpieces would not fall of the case even if i turn it upside down

here's some photos to make it clearer:

this is a very good mod, I like how it keeps the buds locked in the case like Sonys wf1000x and sp700 do, I had my 65t active buds go flying in different directions when I would drop that slippery case and it happened to me like 3 times luckily I didn't lose any ear pieces. I never dropped any of my other true wireless cases this only happens with the 65t active, they need to update that case surface in the future,and put a locking mechanism on the case.
I always say experiment with tips, once you get that all important seal you will know it instantly! otherwise the best earphones will sound terrible. for example I am a big guy i have always used large tips, but with the sony sp700 I cannot use the large tips I have to use the size that's a step down from the largest tips included and then I get perfect seal. don't give up when it comes to the tips, I even got great results with cheap throw away spare tips I had laying around.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,502 of 62,039
I'm still a WF-1000X user, but have also tried some other true wireless earbuds. Sony's SQ is what keeps me going back to them. Think the closest I heard that could compete SQ-wise is the BE Free8, but it has more connection problems than Sony. I haven't heard the 65t.

I had a chance to try Sennheiser's upcoming offering at this IFA and it sounded great. Didn't get much time with them (crowded exhibit), so can't comment on things like connection reliability, but on sound alone, I'm keeping my eye on them.

Thanks Yes the Sennheiser looks to have some potential though I must say I wasn't a fan of the original or later iterations of the Momentum sound signature...

do you still have dropouts after switching the ANC/ambient off? i never have dropouts after i turn it off. the annoying thing is it keeps going into ambient mode each time i remove it from the case so i have to toggle them each time

Yes I turned of ANC/ambient which improves a bit but still have the right channel drop off a bit too much than I can completely look past...

I'm on the same boat. I toggle ANC off because I don't notice that much difference with it. Annoying that the earbuds reset when you shut them off. Can't say I've noticed a difference with the connection between the two modes.

I feel turning them off will make the issue less frequent and when it happen it ”recover”s more quickly/smoothly.... tho I do like ANC quite a lot as it is actually good to filter out noise of the train/bus when I commute (which is 90% of the time I opt for these instead of my proper gears)

Yeah. It's actually been very hit or miss with this headphone in my experience. Sometimes I put it on and no interruption at all, and then sometimes they just don't stabilize. The problem hasn't been severe enough for me to toss them.

yes, it is annoying but does sound good enough for me to not toss them, but after a particularly bad Wednesday it prompted me to look again... but doesn't seem to have many surefire better choice for my purpose...

Was in your position but honestly, trying most of the available alternatives since getting the wf-1000x, nothing touches it on the sound quality. Sony just need to come up with an improved model that fixes some of the issues, improve the battery life and it's almost perfect for me.

Word

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,503 of 62,039
Still toying with the idea of getting a Sony, it seems Sony fixed the right ear dropout with the Sp700?

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #1,505 of 62,039
Still toying with the idea of getting a Sony, it seems Sony fixed the right ear dropout with the Sp700?

No drop outs here with sp700, very solid connection. Anyone out there play with the sony sp900 yet? its not here in the states. It is supposed to finally have touch controls for volume YAY! and balanced armatures, hopefully Sony tunes it right, which I think they will. Sony should have upped the battery life but they did not. I never use my head phones for 5 or 6 hours straight but it would be nice to know you could do it if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,506 of 62,039
Changed from AAC to SBC today since I cannot hear the difference anyway. Haven't experienced a single drop yet. Coincidence....? Time will tell.

Update - had a nice long stretch without drops.... then while walking through the parking lot after work to my car - a ton of repeated drops. Open parking lot, I stayed late - literally just walking with phone in pocket. Then last night and this morning, no drops. Also noticed that when I power them up, and start playing spotify - the codec seems to default to AAC. I hoped it would remember the last setting and stick with it. So for RHA to say they don't support AAC...... seems questionable. Maybe the issue is my Samsung S9+.

---edit---
reply from RHA support:

Thanks for your email. From what you’ve said it seems like there may be a software issue with your TrueConnect. Please accept our sincere apologies for this unexpected issue.

However, we are able to resolve this. I will arrange to send you a PDF return label for the headphones to come back to our UK office for a software update. Once you've attached this to a jiffy bag, all you would need to do is take it to your local Post Office and return it to us.

We will complete the update and return your TrueConnect within four working days of receipt and testing of the headphones. Can you please confirm the address the faulty headphones are returning from, as well as the delivery address for the replacement?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,507 of 62,039
Update - had a nice long stretch without drops.... then while walking through the parking lot after work to my car - a ton of repeated drops. Open parking lot, I stayed late - literally just walking with phone in pocket. Then last night and this morning, no drops. Also noticed that when I power them up, and start playing spotify - the codec seems to default to AAC. I hoped it would remember the last setting and stick with it. So for RHA to say they don't support AAC...... seems questionable. Maybe the issue is my Samsung S9+.

---edit---
reply from RHA support:

Thanks for your email. From what you’ve said it seems like there may be a software issue with your TrueConnect. Please accept our sincere apologies for this unexpected issue.

However, we are able to resolve this. I will arrange to send you a PDF return label for the headphones to come back to our UK office for a software update. Once you've attached this to a jiffy bag, all you would need to do is take it to your local Post Office and return it to us.

We will complete the update and return your TrueConnect within four working days of receipt and testing of the headphones. Can you please confirm the address the faulty headphones are returning from, as well as the delivery address for the replacement?

You have to send them all the way to the UK for a software/firmware update? Wow.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,508 of 62,039
Did some traveling with the JEA 65t and pretty happy with them, going to keep them. Even just using them on the airplane they reduced noise significantly while turned off. The connection stability and ease of use has been perfect.

I thought I got a good deal at $139.99 refurb on eBay, but the price has since dropped to $124.99 and eBay is running a 10% off today so that should get them down to $112.50 if it works

I thought I'd try to compile some of the more informative posts about different tip options

The was a discussion several months ago that Comply was working on a new tip specifically for the JEA 65t, but as of today they aren't on the Comply website

New Comply Foam Tips coming!

I’ve had the Jabra Elite Active 65t for over one month now and very happy with these earphones. Only downside is lag with YouTube vids. No lag with Netflix or Amazon Prime video or streaming video from home network PC on iPhone 7 or iPad. I use the provided large size silicone tips and get good sound, albeit with slightly difficult fit.

I just tested new Comply foam tips being developed specifically for the 65t and Active 65t which appear to replace (or supplement) the older “truly wireless” foam tips. These new Comply foam tips were provided to me in Small, Medium and Large sizes just last week so I assume they will be offered for sale in those sizes too. They all fit in the charging case and performed very similarly to other Comply foam tips. I found them to be more comfortable than the provided silicone tips and about equal or better ambient sound isolation with good sound across the frequency spectrum.

Something to look forward to...

Otherwise, there's some discussion on Spiral Dot tips

Just got my Spiral dot today. after 2 hrs of solid A/B testing with the spiral dot, stock L tips and soundpeats tips. I can definitely say JVC Spiral Dot + Jabra elite 65t = warm smooth Wooden Audio Technica sound. It gave it a similar smoothness and warmth to vocals that the wooden series was able to color. however, if you have experience with the wooden AT sounds you'll know it excels as particular genres but the colouration will make genres such as classical or piano poor (one might have to redo their EQ).

65T sits flush at the bottom of the long Spiral dot tube (see pic) so it fits the 65t perfectly for the Spiral dots to do its job. it was able to give characteristics of a horn like effect (due to the deep tube). It tamed the peaking highs and the low-end bass fray(pretty sure it is the dot design inside the tubes that was able to iron out those high low peaks). by doing so it was able to bring out the mid-frequency dip for vocals. Thus more detail can be heard from the mids balancing out the whole frequency curve. which gave it a less fatiguing listening experience.

The material is a bouncer thicker silicon than my soundpeat tips and about 3 times thicker than the stock L tips. It feels very rubbery so it grips more when putting it in your ear making it secure. they are the most comfortable of all the tips I've tried due to the slightly soft bouncy and grippy characteristic of its silicon.

Spiral dot vs stock Tips = night and day difference both from comfort to sound.
Spiral dot vs Soundpeats Tips = warmer sounding with an increase in detail of the mids and ironing out the low/high peaks.

Spiral dot Tips needs to be modded like the Soundpeads with tape. jabra driver clip tip is 4.5mm wide, those tips have 5mm inner tube width with 4mm tube insert width. the 0.5mm grip of the inner tube is not going to clip on the tip securely if it's pulled hard. So a choker is needed. worked perfectly with tape no fall outs. unfortunately with the longer tube its now harder to charge. you'll have to press hard on the charging case to jam the earbuds in.

would highly recommend those tips to Jabra owners. my 65ts now sounds Good :)

Mounts perfectly at the bottom
0BWLAUY.jpg

Spiral dot has the largest inner tube width compared to the rest with the stock been the narrowest
ecd3b4I.jpg

Longest Tube out of the 3 with again stock been very short and thin
dr9dmAA.jpg

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,510 of 62,039
got my replacement unit from Jabra today :) they didn't bother to take the old 1 back. i guess shipping would cost them more than just sending out a new one? connection is good no cracking noises when turning up the volume. SQ remains the same. since i listen to mostly vocal pop/dance genre i enjoy the spiral dot a lot. it's now easy to close the charger lid since they've loosened up a bit. i'll prob use those tips for future TWEs. didn't know tips would do so much for IEMs... it's like changing an op-amp in your DAC or swapping a tube on your AMP :D $8USD well spent!

@chinmie - i thought about cutting mine up too before but you'll be cutting up the locking choker on the tube. the driver tip would sit too deep into the tube making the sound harsher? unless the width of your inner tube is around 4.5mm?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,511 of 62,039
I have not actually used the Truly Wireless tips because they only come in one size which is equivalent to the Medium size on other Comply foam tips. I require Large size tips to fit my ears so I doubted the Truly Wireless tips would fit me. I inquired with Comply support about 65t tips and alternatives and they invited me to the test program one month after my inquiry. The newly developed tips specifically for the Elite/Active 65t come in Small, Medium, and Large sizes (at least the test tips provided to me as part of the "VIP" test program were available in these sizes - I can only assume they will be the same tips that eventually go on sale depending on test feedback received by Comply). These tips are similar to other Comply foam tips such as the 'isolation' models in shape and materials without wax guards. I have isolation, sport and comfort tips for the Jlab Epic 2 wireless earphones and equate the 65t tips with the standard isolation tips as most similar. The 65t tips fit in the charging case whereas the other 'standard' tips (not truly wireless) do NOT fit in the charging case - height dimension is too tall and core inner diameter on the 65t tips maintains a good fit on the earphones so they don't slip off when being inserted/removed from your ears or the charging case. Overall, the 65t tips sound comparable to the silicone tips, perhaps a bit better bass depending on fit/seal you get. This is very subjective and I'm not measuring frequency response, just subjectively listening to same sources and songs with both tips installed and subjectively comparing. I find the 65t foam tips more comfortable than the provided silicone tips too and they fit very securely, so good for workouts/activity.

Following taylor's post above I went back to the first mention of these special 65t tips and looked a bit further down and that's the quote above. It doesn't seem these special Comply tips for the 65t have been released yet ? I tried the Truly Wireless and they're way too small. I also tried the Audio Pro (olive shaped) and they fit (more or less) but not in the case and the SQ takes a huge hit, highs are gone and overall the 65Ts sound very dull.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,512 of 62,039
Following taylor's post above I went back to the first mention of these special 65t tips and looked a bit further down and that's the quote above. It doesn't seem these special Comply tips for the 65t have been released yet ? I tried the Truly Wireless and they're way too small. I also tried the Audio Pro (olive shaped) and they fit (more or less) but not in the case and the SQ takes a huge hit, highs are gone and overall the 65Ts sound very dull.

I recently inquired with Comply about the availability and release date of the new 65t tips under development which I tested and they could not give me a date. However, they did offer to email me when they do become available so that means they are still in the process of bringing them to market.

I'll post availability if/when I find out more. Hope that helps.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,513 of 62,039
Sounds good, thanks !

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,514 of 62,039
@chinmie - i thought about cutting mine up too before but you'll be cutting up the locking choker on the tube. the driver tip would sit too deep into the tube making the sound harsher? unless the width of your inner tube is around 4.5mm?

yup, it does loose the choker part of the tip, and that on it's own will not be able to stick to the 65t.
but on the mod i did that was necessary so it can slide beneath the original stock eartips (which is not cut or modified). this way i can use the stock eartips's choker to hold onto the 65t, while the added tip under them acts to widen the overall diameter of the tip's base

Users who are viewing this thread

Back