Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #13,846 of 62,013
I've contacted Master & Dynamic and they confirm me that the MW07+ supports AAC but they can't mention it for legal reasons.
I'll receive mine thursday. I will try with my mac and my ios products to see if it's true or false.
Anybody else receive the MWO7+ and could check if he can use the AAC codec ?

That’s what M&D support said to me too, but I had no luck connecting the MW07+ via AAC on my iPhone or my iMac.

Years ago I had the same problem with the OG Westone Bluetooth cable, and Westone was able to send me a rather complicated patch that I applied via USB that enabled AAC. Maybe M&D can do the same. I’m not counting on it.

i don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist (although that seems to be in fashion now), but it feels like more than a coincidence that Apt-x was silently removed from Macs in the Catalina update and, at virtually the same time, more high end earphones (like these and the Libratone Track Air+) are shopping with Apt-x but without AAC. Codec wars — not good for the consumer.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #13,847 of 62,013
@cacio - thanks, I've seen some mention of SBC HD but haven't looked into yet, it's only Android 10 is it ?

Good to hear the B530 are a bit bigger and might "fill up" my ear more, like the Havit G1 (or 65t) do. It's too bad there are no (well the X12 have a sleeve but then that doesn't fit in the case and they never move anyway when I run with little foam pieces) TWSs that come with "wings" as that's a good way to keep everything in place. They can be really comfortable too, like those of the QC-20.

I don't think the KZ T1 are available anymore are they ? Didn't they have that weird sound problem too with either super quiet or super loud ?

yeah i would not advice to buy the KZ T1

just try the B530. even with AAC they are good. and could be improved further with the right phone / software

and SBC HD | Dual Channel "should" be in android 10, but i have not tried it myself yet. on custom roms its already working on android 8 & 9 for sure. and its even possible to mod the stock OEM firmware in case your phone does not have custom roms. you still have to root it though

tbh i feel with all of you who are limited to AAC or even worse, SBC on even some premium headphones. its like driving a sportscar with 1/2 throttle.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #13,848 of 62,013
Shame you didn't care for the Lp2 Pro. Have them in right now, listening to an acoustic jazz album, The Coryells, and they sound pretty amazing. I have owned some premium BT phones (Senn TWS, latest Sony offering, IQBuds) and many pair of cheaper BT phones (still have a couple, from OCY and Tranya) and the LP2s are fantastic. Also own the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1, which I also like a lot. I use Comply foam (bulby) with the LP2 and had to remove the "wings" cause they hurt after 20-30 minutes. But even without the wings, they do stay in place, though not recommeded for running, gym etc.

Anyway, I have not tried the LP non-pro. Why not give the LP2 a second chance? Apparently, the hiss issue has been fixed and Anker Soundcore is replacing the sets that are affected. Saw tht on Amazon in the Q&A area.

I'm interested in giving the LPro2 another chance - if the impressions continue to be good. I wanted to give them a little time to fix any of the other quality/tuning issues that may crop up.

For me, I didn't really have an issue with hiss, just very compressed highs/treble and way recessed mids. I would be pretty floored if everyone else's sounded like mine and no one mentioned it - so I am leaning toward a bad set.

That being said, I'm interested to hear the Liberty 2 - better water resistance, hopefully similarly good calls, and I'm usually a DD guy - so maybe I'll like the sound sig more? In any case, the curiosity was killing me in that I liked the LPro2 package so much before I critically listened/compared.

I'll let you all know!

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #13,849 of 62,013
Could you please elaborate a little on this? Very interested.

The Liberty 2 Pros have the biggest, cleanest, most melodic bass I’ve ever heard in an earphone — and, presumably because of the Knowles BA driver, they also have clear, sparking highs that never get sibilant. I’m sure a more critical audiophile could find something wrong with them, but I can’t. I’m writing this on an airplane and I just took off my trusty Bose QC35s and put on the Liberty 2 Pros, and I like the Liberty 2 Pros better, even without ANC. (Full disclosure: I’ve never really loved the Bose house sound.)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #13,850 of 62,013
The Liberty 2 Pros have the biggest, cleanest, most melodic bass I’ve ever heard in an earphone — and, presumably because of the Knowles BA driver, they also have clear, sparking highs that never get sibilant. I’m sure a more critical audiophile could find something wrong with them, but I can’t. I’m writing this on an airplane and I just took off my trusty Bose QC35s and put on the Liberty 2 Pros, and I like the Liberty 2 Pros better, even without ANC. (Full disclosure: I’ve never really loved the Bose house sound.)

@CocaCola15 it's the posts like these that make me want to try them again - though now I'd have to pay full price....

:sweat_smile: :joyful:

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #13,851 of 62,013
That’s what M&D support said to me too, but I had no luck connecting the MW07+ via AAC on my iPhone or my iMac.

Years ago I had the same problem with the OG Westone Bluetooth cable, and Westone was able to send me a rather complicated patch that I applied via USB that enabled AAC. Maybe M&D can do the same. I’m not counting on it.

i don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist (although that seems to be in fashion now), but it seems to me to be more than a coincidence that Apt-x was silently removed from Macs in the Catalina update and, at virtually the same time, more high end earphones (like these and the Libratone Track Air+) are shopping with Apt-x but without AAC. Codec wars — not good for the consumer.

speaking of conspiracy theory, there might be more truth there than most people think.

OPUS is the best lossy audio codec out there. 100% royalty free. there was simply no reason for the Bluetooth SIG to not enforce it with bluetooth 5.0 spec

but it would make AAC, aptX, aptX HD ... useless

and with the increased bandwith with BT 5.0, we could also have had a lossless audio codec too (like flac, 100% royalty free)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #13,853 of 62,013
yeah i would not advice to buy the KZ T1

just try the B530. even with AAC they are good. and could be improved further with the right phone / software

and SBC HD | Dual Channel "should" be in android 10, but i have not tried it myself yet. on custom roms its already working on android 8 & 9 for sure. and its even possible to mod the stock OEM firmware in case your phone does not have custom roms. you still have to root it though

tbh i feel with all of you who are limited to AAC or even worse, SBC on even some premium headphones. its like driving a sportscar with 1/2 throttle.

Actually I pulled out the Havit G1 again and they don't sound that bad, there's some nice pumping bass and they fill my ear well and they have wings, what's not to like ! Well I did put some whirlwind tips as they stock tips didn't fit too well. So I'll probably stay with that for a while...having said that I'm intrigued by the recent comments on the LP2 that I must admit I have not looked into at all.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #13,854 of 62,013
I'd hate for you to try them and get the same result. Maybe my ears just are lousy. But between the CA Melomania 1 and these, I may have what I need (he says knowing it's probably a lie).

I wouldn't hold it against ya - and I'm glad to hear you really like them!

And you're definitely lying - I went from "ugh, I'm going to take a break from this hobby" right after deciding I would return the MW07+ to "let me see if I can get one day shipping on the 2nd tier anker liberty, just in case I like them and can use them on my trip" ... within a 6 hour period.

:sweat_smile:

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #13,858 of 62,013
As much as I like my Jaybird X2's and Freedom 2's, I only use them for my workouts. I haven't found a pair of Wireless IEM's that will keep me from using my JH Audio Layla's. Now if only JH Audio or someone would make a wireless Dongle adapter or something for Custom IEM's.
As a matter of fact JH has introduced a Bluetooth cable for your iems. https://jhaudio.com/p/bluetooth-cable

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #13,859 of 62,013
I'm interested in giving the LPro2 another chance - if the impressions continue to be good. I wanted to give them a little time to fix any of the other quality/tuning issues that may crop up.

For me, I didn't really have an issue with hiss, just very compressed highs/treble and way recessed mids. I would be pretty floored if everyone else's sounded like mine and no one mentioned it - so I am leaning toward a bad set.

That being said, I'm interested to hear the Liberty 2 - better water resistance, hopefully similarly good calls, and I'm usually a DD guy - so maybe I'll like the sound sig more? In any case, the curiosity was killing me in that I liked the LPro2 package so much before I critically listened/compared.

I'll let you all know!
I actually picked up the Liberty 2 from Amazon, but went to WalMart today and they also had them in stock.

As far as sound, they are similar to the Pros but the bass on the Liberty 2 is a bit deeper & bigger, but less refined. The highs are crisp, yet lack the precision of the Pros. Overall, I think the sound on the Liberty 2 is more exciting, but less defined. There is also a hiss on the Liberty 2, it it’s not as bad as the Pro. The case on the Liberty 2 does not have wireless charging, and even though it’s glossy, it has a sparkle/metallic finish, so it still looks good.

I like the Pros, and at first the hiss didn’t bother me, but now I notice it all the time. While the Pros are technically better and fun, the Liberty 2 are close and still very enjoyable. For me, it’s worth saving some cash and returning the Pros.

The $50 I’m saving may go toward these bad boys:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRLK978/

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #13,860 of 62,013
I actually picked up the Liberty 2 from Amazon, but went to WalMart today and they also had them in stock.

As far as sound, they are similar to the Pros but the bass on the Liberty 2 is a bit deeper & bigger, but less refined. The highs are crisp, yet lack the precision of the Pros. Overall, I think the sound on the Liberty 2 is more exciting, but less defined. There is also a hiss on the Liberty 2, it it’s not as bad as the Pro. The case on the Liberty 2 does not have wireless charging, and even though it’s glossy, it has a sparkle/metallic finish, so it still looks good.

I like the Pros, and at first the hiss didn’t bother me, but now I notice it all the time. While the Pros are technically better and fun, the Liberty 2 are close and still very enjoyable. For me, it’s worth saving some cash and returning the Pros.

The $50 I’m saving may go toward these bad boys:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRLK978/

I appreciate your thoughts! I didnt realize you had purchased both - thank you for the insights! The wireless charging wasn't a big deal for me either...

Do you find the Liberty 2 as good for calls and do you feel the mids are recessed at all? Any call quality comparison thoughts with the Backbeat 5100? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back