Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #42,676 of 63,935
I would truly like to see a photo of all these budget buds you've been buying.

Eh, I can't do color. It's not my thing. Coral?! Green?! I'd rather not draw attention to my ears with some beacon! I can't, I just can't...
The Lisbon are small. Besides you stuck the BOSE in your ears so I don't buy the not drawing attention thing. Probably looked like with a stiff wind you might just take flight with those in your ears. The Shure you can see from space! Not draw attention huh!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::grinning:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #42,677 of 63,935
The Lisbon are small. Besides you stuck the BOSE in your ears so I don't buy the not drawing attention thing. Probably looked like with a stiff wind you might just take flight with those in your ears. The Shure you can see from space! Not draw attention huh!:grinning:
Yeah, all Bose and the Shure have long since fired up their engines and gone to space for sure. I'll be taking the Lisbon to my kids T-ball practice. So low-profile, no one will ever know :wink:

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #42,678 of 63,935
I only have the bud pros. The batt life is right at 5:30 with transparency on. I think I remember it's the same with anc on. I really doubt it's going to be b2 in sound quality. I know crin has his ratings, and some other people have rated it highly as well, but I enjoy the sound sig of some of the sub $100s better like aria and tanya. Last thing I'll say is def avoid the rest of the galaxy line. I have the buds+ and live and the pros are way better.
HI @guitarizt , Hope u r doing well & thanks for the reply.
Are you using your Buds Pro with a Samsung Device or a non- samsung android device? as with samsung u get their proprietery ssc codec, which i will not get with my non-samsung smartphone.
if yes, could u also try them with a non-samsung android device and then tell me if there is any change in their Sonic & call quality performance?
and does buds pro's bass is bloated and thumpy? how do u compare them wrt to ER4XR or B2 if u had tried them or any other near neutral iem in their Sound Signature?
is every thing bloated or is there a good seperation b/w instruments. Are vocals flat, forward or recessed?and hows is the treble?

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #42,679 of 63,935
OK, I was and likely still am going to buy the EAH-A800 because of my Technics AZ60/70 enjoyment. But I am tempted to buy a really good wired IEM and convert it using either a TWS adapter or possibly a nechband BT adapter.

I used to own the XBA-Z5 which was as close to nervana I have ever come for music. In balanced mode they just were amazing for 3D sound and bass and unlike modern Sony stuff had great treble detail. The only issue they had was they made female vocals a bit husky. But I lived with that because of the over all musical presentation.

If I bought Fiio FH3 or FH5 would they come close to the XBA-Z5? I can get the FH5 for only $40 more than the FH3 which makes me tempted to go with them.

My budget is $200 - $250 max for the IEM. If neither of the Fiio work what would be a good IEM option?

As to the adapter is there any LDAC TWS option available? If not would I be better off going with the Fiio LC-BT2 to get LDAC ability? I am using a Samsung phone and will not mess with the phones OS to enable the higher APTx codecs so am limited to LDAC, AAC, or just plain APTx and I find plain APTx a bit harsh or glaring sounding.

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #42,680 of 63,935
Hi guys, a little help here...

I own a pair of Sony XM3 IEM (well worn and starting to give me some problems) and looking for a replacement soon. The natural choice should be the XM4 I guess (at home I also already use the XM4 full size headphone), but I'm also considering the Sennheiser Momentum TW2 (at home I also have the HD650 and IE800). They both cost the same for me, and as I can't test sample any of them, I'm wondering which one should I choose.

I commute 3 hours a day by public transport, so good ANC is a must (the XM3 are good here) but I'd like a slimmer profile/smaller IEM body and also to have a warmer sound signature. Not sure if both the XM4 or TW2 can give me those 3 things, and in case they do, which one is the best choice...

Thanks for your help!

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #42,681 of 63,935
Hi guys, a little help here...

I own a pair of Sony XM3 IEM (well worn and starting to give me some problems) and looking for a replacement soon. The natural choice should be the XM4 I guess (at home I also already use the XM4 full size headphone), but I'm also considering the Sennheiser Momentum TW2 (at home I also have the HD650 and IE800). They both cost the same for me, and as I can't test sample any of them, I'm wondering which one should I choose.

I commute 3 hours a day by public transport, so good ANC is a must (the XM3 are good here) but I'd like a slimmer profile/smaller IEM body and also to have a warmer sound signature. Not sure if both the XM4 or TW2 can give me those 3 things, and in case they do, which one is the best choice...

Thanks for your help!
The XM4 is supposed to be warmer than the XM3 and will have the ANC you want plus is a smaller profile so will give you want your looking for. The TW2 will not have as good ANC but will be a warm more balanced sound.

Price wise the TW2 seems to be in sale for a much lower price quite often, usually the sign of a model about to be replaced with a new model. The XM4 on the other hand is at best only $50 off its MSRP.

I personally am enjoying the Technics AZ60 and think it has ANC almost as good as Sony. But it might not have the signature you wanting. It's bass is not as hard hitting as the Sony and is a bit looser sounding. I find it warm but it is definitely no where near as warm as Sony.

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #42,682 of 63,935
XM4 has one of the best ANC (maybe the best for TWS due to its design having good passive isolation as well) and is excellent for anyone who Iikes a slightly warm signature (plus EQ in the app very easy to use and effective as well).

If you take a look at soundguys and rtings, the frequency response for XM4s is more linear, and ANC is significantly more effective. However, XM4s are not small/slim, so if that is a must, they may not work. There are refurbished ones with 2 year warranty available on ebay for $150 BTW.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #42,683 of 63,935
OK, I was and likely still am going to buy the EAH-A800 because of my Technics AZ60/70 enjoyment. But I am tempted to buy a really good wired IEM and convert it using either a TWS adapter or possibly a nechband BT adapter.

I used to own the XBA-Z5 which was as close to nervana I have ever come for music. In balanced mode they just were amazing for 3D sound and bass and unlike modern Sony stuff had great treble detail. The only issue they had was they made female vocals a bit husky. But I lived with that because of the over all musical presentation.

If I bought Fiio FH3 or FH5 would they come close to the XBA-Z5? I can get the FH5 for only $40 more than the FH3 which makes me tempted to go with them.

My budget is $200 - $250 max for the IEM. If neither of the Fiio work what would be a good IEM option?

As to the adapter is there any LDAC TWS option available? If not would I be better off going with the Fiio LC-BT2 to get LDAC ability? I am using a Samsung phone and will not mess with the phones OS to enable the higher APTx codecs so am limited to LDAC, AAC, or just plain APTx and I find plain APTx a bit harsh or glaring sounding.
I've owned the Fiio lcbt2... It is a great neckband bt device... Really. It has about 25 mw @32 ohm. So it will properly drive sensitive iems. For example the Fiio Utws5 is about twice the driving power. However, it is very well done with good separation and a more balanced approach. I can personally rec both the Fiio FH3 and the Fh5... I have them both and they are great. Personally I like the FH3 a hair better but that is me. You may enjoy the Fh5 more. I guess I'd ask what your preferred sound signature that you like. There is an absolute slew of good choices up to $250 man. So... My next question is where are you planning to order from which will greatly affect your choices. I have tried nearly all the bt neckband devices... Shanling has a good one and ikko has an amazing neckband. The only issue with he ikko is it doesn't have ldac but instead has aptx, aptx-hd, AAC, and SBC. But... It has 3 times the output power of the other bt neckband adapters. Has a great dac/amp inside as well and there is no real difference between aptx-hd and LDAC to me...

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #42,684 of 63,935
I've owned the Fiio lcbt2... It is a great neckband bt device... Really. It has about 25 mw @32 ohm. So it will properly drive sensitive iems. For example the Fiio Utws5 is about twice the driving power. However, it is very well done with good separation and a more balanced approach. I can personally rec both the Fiio FH3 and the Fh5... I have them both and they are great. Personally I like the FH3 a hair better but that is me. You may enjoy the Fh5 more. I guess I'd ask what your preferred sound signature that you like. There is an absolute slew of good choices up to $250 man. So... My next question is where are you planning to order from which will greatly affect your choices. I have tried nearly all the bt neckband devices... Shanling has a good one and ikko has an amazing neckband. The only issue with he ikko is it doesn't have ldac but instead has aptx, aptx-hd, AAC, and SBC. But... It has 3 times the output power of the other bt neckband adapters. Has a great dac/amp inside as well and there is no real difference between aptx-hd and LDAC to me...
More power and the good amp chip trumps the LDAC for sure. I was gonna say the IKKO for sure. Be nice if they upgraded it to 5.2 and adaptive and a newer battery with a few more hours. I wonder if it is gonna be a dead end for that form factor or will we see a few with LE and aptX loseless in them.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #42,685 of 63,935
I loved the XBA-Z5 it had huge bass, luscious mids, and plenty of treble with the massive 3D sound stage. The WF-1000XM3 in comparison lacked the treble detail and did not have the same sense of involvement in the music. To be blunt it was bland in comparison.

If I am totally honest I have not owned any product other than my full size headphones that come close to the XBA-Z5 and I know I have missed that kind of detail and sound. I just refuse to spend another $800 on a pair of Z5 because the damn bleeping MMCX is to fragile to take that chance again.

I really like the Ikko it looks awesome. My only challenge is I will be limited to APTx and AAC thus the Fiio LC-BT2 as an alternative.

I also am thinking what ever I get I can use my old XBA-Z5 balanced cable and my Pono player for the ultimate sound experience. In which case I may not bother using these in a BT mode. Plus I have the balanced BT cable that fits my little BT device that supports LDAC (drawing blank on the product name at the moment) so I have several options for using what ever I buy.

I can get the FH5 for $240Can which is a bit over $100 off the retail. So a very good price.

I prefer to stay in Canada for buying as I find using AliExpress and options like that very painful and slow and pretty much it mpossible to deal with for warranty and such.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #42,686 of 63,935
OK, in thinking about what I own now, the one balanced cable I have is from an earlier Fiio IEM I own. That coupled with being a sucker for a good deal I am thinking I will just jump on the FH5. I am sure they will be head and shoulders above all the TWS I own and give me the audio detail and sound I am craving. So I am just going to buy them and take a chance they will satisfy me.

At their sale price I can also flip them for less of a loss if they don't work out.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #42,687 of 63,935
More power and the good amp chip trumps the LDAC for sure. I was gonna say the IKKO for sure. Be nice if they upgraded it to 5.2 and adaptive and a newer battery with a few more hours. I wonder if it is gonna be a dead end for that form factor or will we see a few with LE and aptX loseless in them.
Ya I was kind of thinking the same thing. They just did not sell. I purchased them simply for cutting grass but realized how awesome they sounded. I have my doubts that fiio shanling hiby or ikko are going any further with a neckband style but I suppose crazier things have happened. The Ikko itb05 was and still is a beast but anything outside of daps rarely have aptx-hd... At least I've never had a smartphone with the codec. The daps I use have it. I actually like the neckband for certain purposes. I used to like that I could just drape the Iems down my chest when not in use.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #42,688 of 63,935
I loved the XBA-Z5 it had huge bass, luscious mids, and plenty of treble with the massive 3D sound stage. The WF-1000XM3 in comparison lacked the treble detail and did not have the same sense of involvement in the music. To be blunt it was bland in comparison.

If I am totally honest I have not owned any product other than my full size headphones that come close to the XBA-Z5 and I know I have missed that kind of detail and sound. I just refuse to spend another $800 on a pair of Z5 because the damn bleeping MMCX is to fragile to take that chance again.

I really like the Ikko it looks awesome. My only challenge is I will be limited to APTx and AAC thus the Fiio LC-BT2 as an alternative.

I also am thinking what ever I get I can use my old XBA-Z5 balanced cable and my Pono player for the ultimate sound experience. In which case I may not bother using these in a BT mode. Plus I have the balanced BT cable that fits my little BT device that supports LDAC (drawing blank on the product name at the moment) so I have several options for using what ever I buy.

I can get the FH5 for $240Can which is a bit over $100 off the retail. So a very good price.

I prefer to stay in Canada for buying as I find using AliExpress and options like that very painful and slow and pretty much it mpossible to deal with for warranty and such.
Ya... I don't like Aliexpress either. I don't know your options in Canada but I can tell you that the Fh5 is an awesome sounding set. The reviews will tell you that. Great resolution and deeper bass. It comes with Fiio's pelican case and a slew of tips along with a nice cable. I still listen a few times a week to the Fh5 and at times put it on the Utws3 or 5 because it is very sensitive and loud.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #42,689 of 63,935
OK, in thinking about what I own now, the one balanced cable I have is from an earlier Fiio IEM I own. That coupled with being a sucker for a good deal I am thinking I will just jump on the FH5. I am sure they will be head and shoulders above all the TWS I own and give me the audio detail and sound I am craving. So I am just going to buy them and take a chance they will satisfy me.

At their sale price I can also flip them for less of a loss if they don't work out.
I think it's a great set man... Really. You can find really great cheap balanced cables as well if that's what you are after. I use balanced on pretty much everything that isn't an adapter and all my balanced cables I purchased from Amazon. Anyways, I think I'm going to spend some time with the Fh5 tonight. To be honest the Fh5 and fh3 are similar and most would prob argue that the Fh5 is the better set. I go back and forth.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #42,690 of 63,935
Anyone else here who owns the LG Tone have issues with the left bud randomly playing static as you hit play? You can resolve it by hitting the PLAY/PAUSE function again but that’s pretty ridiculous if this keeps happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back