Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #38,746 of 61,375
Past 10 business days on my EQ RMA. Suffice to say, I'm not pleased. Support was nice enough but no explanation as to why. So I've been without them for 2 weeks. Not a very reliable system.

For a company such as B&O they should have just sent you a new pair and close the ticket.
However, they may found some hardware issues with them and waiting on a new batch to be delivered.
In any event they should keep you in the loop.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #38,747 of 61,375
Hi all,

Haven't posted much as I've been pretty happy with the Senn IE80s over the last couple of years. But I'm getting a bit fed up with having to replace the cable every 8-12 months. The IE80s are fantastic sound-wise, and I have custom-moulded sleeves which give a wonderful fit and great sound isolation. I was originally looking for a wireless lanyard like the Westone BT cable 78548, but unfortunately the IE80s use a custom connector, and I can't find an equivalent wireless converter that'll fit the Senns (there's some $5 ones on Alibaba, but I've no confidence that they'll have decent SQ, battery life or reliability).

I use the IEMs primarily for music/movies during my commute; it's walking and sitting, so they don't have to be exercise-proof or waterproof - although that would be good for listening sessions while I work in the garden. Battery life is reasonably important; I don't want to have to charge them every day, and if I forget to charge them once they need to last for a second commute (so at least 3hrs+ in total).

So the question is, are we at the point yet where it's feasible to go for fully-wireless IEM buds. There seem to be a lot of devices out there which very nearly cut the mustard, but all so far seem to have caveats. But there's also some interesting kit being released in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced them and can help encourage me to take the plunge. :wink:

Current possibilities/shortlist seems to be:
  • Sony WF-1000X - has a few great (p)reviews, and the noice cancellation appears to be a great extra feature. Haven't seen any reports on battery life, but stated claims of 3hrs + 9 extra from the case seem 'okay'.
  • Bragi The Headphone - seem to be generally well-liked and a good feature-set. No charging case seems problematic though.
  • Bragi Dash Pro - super cool, but super-expensive (and reviews on head-fi indicate that the SQ is not good).
  • Zolo Liberty Plus - very promising, I'm looking forward to hearing what these sound like. I nearly pulled the trigger on a speculative punt via the Kickstarter, but missed the deadline.
  • Bose SoundSport Free - again, seem like they might be good, waiting to see reviews. No UK release date as yet.
  • B&O Beoplay E8 - look like they'll be good, but expensive too.

Anything else I should add to the list and consider? Are there any fully wireless IEMs with custom sleeves yet for a perfect fit?
Not a big supported of wireless buds

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #38,748 of 61,375
Gamesky does V-Moda...

Nice to hear the Lite and Pro are the same sound and drivers which it seemed anyhow but nice to hear somebody say it. Case is effing large while the buds are quite small. :) Wonder if the cheaper one has a smaller case since it doesn't need the room for the earhooks and such. Small and seems to sound good but has those first effort problems.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #38,751 of 61,375
Did you really respond to a post from 2017 just to tell us you're not a fan of TWS? :sunglasses:
Not as bad as some bumping necro-threads replying to people who haven't made a post for 10 years like they are going to respond. Gotta check those dates. These people have not waited 8 years for an answer to their earphone question. They found the answer or moved on or died of old age by now :)

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #38,752 of 61,375
For a company such as B&O they should have just sent you a new pair and close the ticket.
However, they may found some hardware issues with them and waiting on a new batch to be delivered.
In any event they should keep you in the loop.
Right. Communication would be nice. That's all.

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #38,753 of 61,375
You can buy the Sennheiser tips if you want to try them. I might try these as well.
I tried looking for the Sennheiser tip sizes but failed. Do you know the outer sizes on them? I don't know whether to order Med or Large.
Also do you know the inner diameter where it is open to the ear? I actually have the Sport replacement tips for the CX400BT form Comply on the way. From what I read the Sport line usually provide a little more isolation and bass.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #38,754 of 61,375
What...
1635038459557.png

What activity??? Phileweb, Posting here. Where do they get this. That effing Google probably. Creepy info sharing stalkers. :)

Anyway, that is $317 and it usually drops even more before release. these could be $300 street price. The previous Victor and JVC AE5t were supposed to be $150 but were around $129 on release. Makes sense to me. Has to be less than that Drop price which is $350.

Not too bad. Except for the less than ideal control scheme. Battery life from the manual...
1635040322953.png

Takes a hit with the ANC.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #38,755 of 61,375
Sadly, after the honeymoon was over I actually let EQs go. My third pair started to have that popping sound again on some songs. Got so frustrated I flipped them. Snagged the Bose again. Much better with the EQ they added. Baffles my mind as to why they didn't have all the new features up front, but I guess better late than never. Also, trying out the new Jabra Elite 7 Pros. They're tiny!
How's the Elite 7 pro's sound and call quality?

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #38,756 of 61,375
What...
1635038459557.png
What activity??? Phileweb, Posting here. Where do they get this. That effing Google probably. Creepy info sharing stalkers. :)

Anyway, that is $317 and it usually drops even more before release. these could be $300 street price. The previous Victor and JVC AE5t were supposed to be $150 but were around $129 on release. Makes sense to me. Has to be less than that Drop price which is $350.

Not too bad. Except for the less than ideal control scheme. Battery life from the manual...
1635040322953.png

Google is creepy. Microsoft too to some degree sadly.
I don’t use google for searches anymore and my go-to search engine is DuckDuckGo and my favourite browser is Vivaldi which is big on privacy and it’s an awesome browser with great features on top of that.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #38,757 of 61,375
I tried looking for the Sennheiser tip sizes but failed. Do you know the outer sizes on them? I don't know whether to order Med or Large.
Also do you know the inner diameter where it is open to the ear? I actually have the Sport replacement tips for the CX400BT form Comply on the way. From what I read the Sport line usually provide a little more isolation and bass.
The inner diameter is 5mm and the outer diameter of large is 12?? You be the judge.

20211023_204651.jpg

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #38,758 of 61,375
What...

Sorry for stupid question, but what’s “k2 function”? Is that transparency?

Edit: I can use DuckDuckGo…seems like a form of processing/upscaling of compressed files.

https://www.jvckenwood.com/en/technology/k2.html

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #38,759 of 61,375
I would love to see y’all with the Devialet Geminis custom EQ’s! Still trying to make the most of these and I’m having a hard time finding an EQ that I like without compromising at least one part of the frequency range too much.

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #38,760 of 61,375
I would love to see y’all with the Devialet Geminis custom EQ’s! Still trying to make the most of these and I’m having a hard time finding an EQ that I like without compromising at least one part of the frequency range too much.
Finding myself using flat more times than not these days. What do you feel is missing on flat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back