Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #38,266 of 45,655

erockg

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone having a charge issue with their Devialet Gemini? Driving me nuts. Mine do not charge to 100% unless they are off the charger. And, it's usually the right bud that won't charge all the way. I think there's some sort of battery drain issue happening.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #38,267 of 45,655

helmutcheese

100+ Head-Fier
That is the same way the PI7 behaves. I think it is backward compatible but the implementation is inconsistent and there are some compatibility issues (such as the issues I had with my Node 2i and PI7s). Glad it worked for you. Actually thinking of grabbing a Pixel next I think since it has aptX HD dual SIM (another thing Samsung cripples in the US), and all the 5G bands I need.

I already explained it above, it is not backwards compatible in the way it sounds from QUALCOMM, if your phone does not support aptX Adaptive but does support aptX HD it be aptX using aptx Adaptive buds unless like B&W they add the aptX HD codec also to the ear/headphones.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #38,268 of 45,655

Tommy C

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve finally gone and gotten myself a pair of Devialet Geminis!

I realized that the included tips are less than great at least for my ears, I realized that when I tried so hard at liking them but felt like I was less than convinced.

What made me realize that they didn’t fit well was that changing the EQ in the app barely changed the sound at all, but then I switched to another set of tips that I have and now the EQ-ing actually makes a difference and can be noticed even if you switch a slider just one step up or down, lol.

im still not convinced that I think these sound better than the MTW2’s to my ears but I’m still getting used to them so I might just change my mind about that later on!

Congrats on the Devialet Geminis!

Although I never tried the Devialet Geminis, I have the CX 400BT which is basically a MTW2 sans the bells and whistles and they sound fantastic and sort of feel like any type of upgrade will be a side-grade to a different flavor but won't technically be better since it's still a TWS after all.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #38,269 of 45,655

TK33

500+ Head-Fier
I already explained it above, it is not backwards compatible in the way it sounds from QUALCOMM, if your phone does not support aptX Adaptive but does support aptX HD it be aptX using aptx Adaptive buds unless like B&W they add the aptX HD codec also to the ear/headphones.
That's fine. I believe you. Doesn't change the fact that it did indeed work out for @clerkpalmer and he is able to enjoy his new cans via aptX HD, which, regardless of how it works, is what is important. I am not going to argue with you as I am not an expert in this subject and am just stating what I observed. If you do not like it, feel free to ignore me.

Back to my music I go.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #38,270 of 45,655

helmutcheese

100+ Head-Fier
Get a grip of the attitude It was from Lenovo Engineers, if he can get aptX HD then both items need to support it, that is why I was stuck on aptX on all my recent QC3040 aptX Adaptive earbuds (3 or 5 pairs now).

B&W have both aptX Adaptive and older aptX HD Codecs so I got aptX HD.

People say all kind of crap in here and on YT everyday that is totally wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #38,271 of 45,655

TK33

500+ Head-Fier
So good news, these connected right to AptxHD on my Pixel despite the fact that the Yamaha literature only lists Aptx Adaptive. As an aside, for anyone looking at cans, these things are pretty cool. The 3D DSP is very effective - similar to the Mobius with multiple DSP Modes and head tracking. I still haven't figured out why I need head tracking or whether I like it but I do like the DSP. It adds some space to stereo music listening and it seems just as effective as spatial audio but without the proprietary nonsense. There is an "Audio Room" setting I really like; I may have a hard time going back to regular 2D stereo after this. Like a lot of ANC headphones, these have a lot of bass - in ways that you can't get out of TWS and which is much thicker than I am used to with my open and closed back planars. I'd love to compare these to the H95 for craps and giggles.
Found this info on aptx.com, which I thought you might find interesting. Yamaha should probably put that on their product page:

https://www.aptx.com/products/yamaha-yh-l700a

"Compatibility

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #38,273 of 45,655

scubaphish

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone having a charge issue with their Devialet Gemini? Driving me nuts. Mine do not charge to 100% unless they are off the charger. And, it's usually the right bud that won't charge all the way. I think there's some sort of battery drain issue happening.
Do you mean the right bud won’t charge all the way while the case is charging? I haven’t noticed that issue, but to be honest I think I often charge my case while buds are in my ears. I’ll try to experiment and report back

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #38,274 of 45,655

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you mean the right bud won’t charge all the way while the case is charging? I haven’t noticed that issue, but to be honest I think I often charge my case while buds are in my ears. I’ll try to experiment and report back
My Gemini have a drain issue as well and it's definitely the right bud. I've had several instances where the right bud will be dead even though the case and left bud are 100 percent. I suppose it's time to discuss with support.

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #38,275 of 45,655

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
Found this info on aptx.com, which I thought you might find interesting. Yamaha should probably put that on their product page:

https://www.aptx.com/products/yamaha-yh-l700a

"Compatibility
Nice find. I'll bet Yamaha doesn't even know this. We've seen this before in fact. Otherwise why would they push Adaptive over HD in the marketing materials? HD is certainly more available. Edit - probably pushing Adaptive for the low latency rather than HD for SQ. I also blame Qualcomm for this. Too much fragmentation in these chipsets. It's confusing and the messaging isn't very clear.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #38,276 of 45,655

NCUS

100+ Head-Fier
The waterfall of sound fidelity from high to low seems to be live music, loudspeakers, over ear headphones, IEMs, and then wireless.

Maybe manufacturers just don't think AptX HD vs AptX adaptive is a big enough difference to push to the average user, particularly for wireless in ears, as I bet a huge percentage of users listen to these in noiser (both ambient sound levels and RF interference) environments.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #38,277 of 45,655

erockg

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, the right bud while the case is charging. Then when I leave the buds in the case for a while, unused. The right bud drains. @clerkpalmer nailed it. I bought the warranty for them, so maybe I'll give support a whirl at some point. I had them in the case overnight and the case is at 93 and the buds 100. So odd.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #38,278 of 45,655

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, the right bud while the case is charging. Then when I leave the buds in the case for a while, unused. The right bud drains. @clerkpalmer nailed it. I bought the warranty for them, so maybe I'll give support a whirl at some point. I had them in the case overnight and the case is at 93 and the buds 100. So odd.
They are pretty responsive as you know. I'm going to reach out and discuss. Problem is it's hard to replicate and of course only happens when I need them to work.

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #38,279 of 45,655

Juturna

100+ Head-Fier
My Gemini have a drain issue as well and it's definitely the right bud. I've had several instances where the right bud will be dead even though the case and left bud are 100 percent. I suppose it's time to discuss with support.
Mine also have this issue. The right bud is almost at 15% lower battery level than the left one at any given point during my listening.
I haven't had that issue so far though, that the right bud is completely dead, fingers crossed I don't have to deal with that...

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #38,280 of 45,655

erockg

Headphoneus Supremus
They are pretty responsive as you know. I'm going to reach out and discuss. Problem is it's hard to replicate and of course only happens when I need them to work.
A while back, Devialet suggested this reset process. I tried it and it seems to have resolved the issue today. Who knows! Not holding my breath:

" I invite you to perform the following manipulation:

- Remove and put the earphones one by one in the case.
- Close the case
- Press the button, and in the meantime
- Open/close the case twice in a row
- Release the button

Did the light turn flashing orange and then green for a moment?

If yes, the reset has been well done, and you will be able to put the box in pairing mode again.

Forget in your phone's Bluetooth settings any device linked to Gemini.

Then repair with Gemini L and pair with R.

This should solve the problem you are experiencing."

Users who are viewing this thread