Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #37,771 of 39,665

TK33

500+ Head-Fier
IMHO the Nura Trues outperform SHURE SE846 in pretty much everything, including separation/imaging. SE846 is pretty limited in that area, hated them, with the exception of the bass. It's pretty odd for a 4 driver configuration, but it's what it is. They sound veiled, congested and not high-end at all. The Nuras sound much more livelier, open and fun. How can 1 driver best 4? Of course it is possible.

So, concluding, I wouldn't pay more than 200€ for an SE846, let alone the SE215. Unfortunately I did and lost alot of money selling them near brand new. Obviously my opinion is just my opinion and can't match everyone's taste, but I was accostumed to 2000€+ IEMs like the LCD-i4, QDC Anole VX and others.
You have made it clear you don't like them but there are clearly those who like the SE846, myself included. We clearly have different preferences. That is ok. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

However, you also mentioned in a previous post that you paired the SE846 with a Fiio M15. I did a quick search and that DAP is listed as having an output impedance of approx. 1.1 ohm. When I read your first post, I remembered my reaction when I tried to reduce noise by using a certain popular attenuator which increased the OI to 1ohm...you really need an amp that has an output impedance below 1 ohm and as close to zero as possible. Unfortunately the SE846 is just a very picky and sensitive IEM. No secret, I really like mine.

This was part of my hesitation with getting the TW2 but ever since I got it, my other TWS have not been getting any love outside of calls.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #37,772 of 39,665

erockg

500+ Head-Fier
After one month of owning the Geminis with Final Type E tips, I can't believe I'm listening to these more than my ZMF Verite Closed cans....

I still can't wait for the new firmware to improve battery life.
They really are impressive. The Ear Active Matching is awesome. Helps those with fit issues. I'm using large ePro tips with mine. :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #37,773 of 39,665

AudioBomb

500+ Head-Fier
You have made it clear you don't like them but there are clearly those who like the SE846, myself included. We clearly have different preferences. That is ok. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

However, you also mentioned in a previous post that you paired the SE846 with a Fiio M15. I did a quick search and that DAP is listed as having an output impedance of approx. 1.1 ohm. When I read your first post, I remembered my reaction when I tried to reduce noise by using a certain popular attenuator which increased the OI to 1ohm...you really need an amp that has an output impedance below 1 ohm and as close to zero as possible. Unfortunately the SE846 is just a very picky and sensitive IEM. No secret, I really like mine.

This was part of my hesitation with getting the TW2 but ever since I got it, my other TWS have not been getting any love outside of calls.
Yes, correct, it was just tested with the FiiO M15. Thanks for letting me know that.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #37,774 of 39,665

Tommy C

Headphoneus Supremus
CA MT folks, does the music stop when you get one bud out of the ear?
I could swear I thought they have ear a detection sensor and visually it looks like they do but that's not the case now.

Also, another interesting thing is that unlike any other IEMs that I have ever used, these don't do well if your seal is too much.
The sound basically becomes so bassy it's unbearable while smaller tips (less of a seal for me) do much better!

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #37,775 of 39,665

AudioBomb

500+ Head-Fier
I could swear I thought they have ear a detection sensor and visually it looks like they do but that's not the case now.
Usually that's something that you control with an app. I've had my Nuras doing so.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #37,776 of 39,665

J_3000

New Head-Fier

Also, another interesting thing is that unlike any other IEMs that I have ever used, these don't do well if your seal is too much.
The sound basically becomes so bassy it's unbearable while smaller tips (less of a seal for me) do much better!
No they dont have that. But the touch area is so big, that its probable that you will accidetally stop the music while taking one out 😃

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #37,778 of 39,665

Tommy C

Headphoneus Supremus
No they dont have that. But the touch area is so big, that its probable that you will accidetally stop the music while taking one out 😃
Thanks. Really miss auto play/ pause but that’s alright, and yeah the touch area is way too big and too sensitive.
there is no way to adjust them in your ears without pushing it multiple times.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #37,780 of 39,665

BigZ12

500+ Head-Fier
I can get a pair of used Geminis for about $255 (NOK 2200,-).
It was bought in March.
Any hardware updates since then, or just firmware?
Sadly it lacks the original packaging, but everything that came with it is included.
"Safe" to buy?
They cost about $400 (NOK 3490,-) new in store here :O

Edit: Bought them. :) $238 after a little "haggling". Included p&p. Will have them Tuesday I think. Looking forward to test them.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #37,781 of 39,665

Branflakes

New Head-Fier
Doesn't this mean there's plainly too much bass? It's the opposite of the usual "there's no bass" complaint from people not used to IEM who get a bad seal. :smile:

I had to severely EQ the mids and highs up when I had the MT.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #37,782 of 39,665

BigZ12

500+ Head-Fier
I put a new set of large Comply TW-200-C tips on my "first TWS love", Lypertek Tevi, as well.
Man they sound good, and they still assert themselves very well compared to all my new ones.
I think they will be my walking/running/work out -buds for a long time to come, with their ipx7, battery time, comfort and sound quality. (a little bass boost in the eq with working out, since the Complys limit the bass a little with the Tevis as well)

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #37,783 of 39,665

Tommy C

Headphoneus Supremus
Doesn't this mean there's plainly too much bass? It's the opposite of the usual "there's no bass" complaint from people not used to IEM who get a bad seal. :smile:

I had to severely EQ the mids and highs up when I had the MT.
Yes, that’s exactly it.
I was reading 2 reviews where this was mentioned and I thought it was really strange but gave it a try. I believe these were designed to have a shallow fit. I have been using them for 3 weeks and felt like they are way way too bassy even when eq’ed and it’s indeed was the seal. Their stock tips aren’t that great for my ears and was able to find at home something that fits between the S and M tips with wider bore. They sounded much much better now. Unfortunately, with the 3rd party tips there is another strange phenomena. When you adjust them to go deeper you get a really high pitch noise when pressing them. I’m trying to love them but it’s very difficult between the software glitches and the odd fit.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #37,784 of 39,665

scubaphish

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, that’s exactly it.
I was reading 2 reviews where this was mentioned and I thought it was really strange but gave it a try. I believe these were designed to have a shallow fit. I have been using them for 3 weeks and felt like they are way way too bassy even when eq’ed and it’s indeed was the seal. Their stock tips aren’t that great for my ears and was able to find at home something that fits between the S and M tips with wider bore. They sounded much much better now. Unfortunately, with the 3rd party tips there is another strange phenomena. When you adjust them to go deeper you get a really high pitch noise when pressing them. I’m trying to love them but it’s very difficult between the software glitches and the odd fit.
Forgive my editorializing, but it shouldn’t be so hard. I really wanted to like the MT…and even more…I REALLY wanted to LOVE the PI7 but it just didn’t take. And I just don’t think it should have to be so hard…either they’re right (even with some adjustments) or they aren’t. I returned the MT…kept the Klipsch T5 II…my wife found them more comfortable and better sounding without any/much effort. IMHO, seems to be the way it should be.
Just one man’s opinion, but that’s just my take.

edit: to be clear, I’m saying this as someone who is guilty of the same thing, trying very hard to make it work…thinking I’m doing something wrong that it isn’t working…driving me crazy. I just think there are so many choices available at every price point, I’m not sure it’s worth the driving crazy. Now, if you’re someone who appreciates the challenge, then go at it; more power to ya!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #37,785 of 39,665

Branflakes

New Head-Fier
I liked the fit, except for the wingtips which were too hard and sharp and made my ears hurt. The sound was too bassy but I found it decent after EQ. But the software issues plus the wingtips made me decide to return them. I don't think they were meant for a shallow fit, given their shape is supposed to fit into the concha.

Users who are viewing this thread