Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #36,526 of 38,794

BigZ12

500+ Head-Fier
I will get my blue MW08 Sport today. Hopefully it will be my preferred set, cause I want to sell my MTW2, Pureplay Z7 and XM4s.
Will update with my findings later.

- Bored of the MTW2, but they are actually my go to pair, along with the versatile Airpods Pro, mostly due to the total package and fit. (EDIT: I also think they sound better than before with the latest firmware)
- XM4 sounds better than the MTW2, but I can never get a decent fit. With almost every silicone tip I get noise from the left ear while chewing etc.. I also get better ANC with the MTW2, also due to fit I guess.
- Pureplay Z7 are good, fit is great even if they stick out of the ear a bit. Hearthrough is not great, and they sound a bit too dull/dark/warm for my taste.

Tips I have and tested with all my TWSs: All stock tips (that's a lot :) ), several types of Spinfits, Final E Type, JVC spiral dots, a lot of different Comply Foams, Flexifit Foam etc

PS: Best tip experience for all my TWSs: ePro horn shaped tips AP00 for Airpods Pro.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #36,527 of 38,794

alchemical

100+ Head-Fier
Further listening, yeah I guess music sounds fuller with ANC on. I think neutral still sounds good and can be eq’d but I can see/hear where critics are coming from. Any other Devialet users can chime in if I’m just mishearing; it’s entirely possible
Agreed, music does sound fuller on the Geminis with ANC on. In neutral it’s by no means bad, but it misses body in comparison.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #36,531 of 38,794

cresny

100+ Head-Fier
Further listening, yeah I guess music sounds fuller with ANC on. I think neutral still sounds good and can be eq’d but I can see/hear where critics are coming from. Any other Devialet users can chime in if I’m just mishearing; it’s entirely possible

ADD: this reviewer’s take on how ANC impacts sound is pretty solid.

This is interesting. I did concur with the reviews about the Neutral setting sounding worse, but like them I guess I never considered it was mostly the volume drop from the ANC boosted dynamics. One of the reasons I wanted ANC was to preserve my damaged hearing after having endured decades of city life without it, so I really appreciated how -- with ANC -- the dynamics and nuances come through at a lower volumes. I'll continue to listen that way but I can also now appreciate how the "different" non-ANC sound might actually work better for certain genres, albeit with some EQ tweaks.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #36,532 of 38,794

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
Giving the mw08 another try. Since I am impatient, I went with the black non sport version with the matte black case from Amazon. The sports are not yet available on Amazon for another week and I might die if I don’t get them by tomorrow …. Will decide between them and the Klipsch ANC before returning.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #36,533 of 38,794

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
This is interesting. I did concur with the reviews about the Neutral setting sounding worse, but like them I guess I never considered it was mostly the volume drop from the ANC boosted dynamics. One of the reasons I wanted ANC was to preserve my damaged hearing after having endured decades of city life without it, so I really appreciated how -- with ANC -- the dynamics and nuances come through at a lower volumes. I'll continue to listen that way but I can also now appreciate how the "different" non-ANC sound might actually work better for certain genres, albeit with some EQ tweaks.
huge believer in ANC to preserve hearing loss. Lifelong tinnitus sufferer hear. Anything that allows more moderate volumes is a win for me. This is probably as important to me as actually blocking out sound.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #36,535 of 38,794

scubaphish

100+ Head-Fier
Giving the mw08 another try. Since I am impatient, I went with the black non sport version with the matte black case from Amazon. The sports are not yet available on Amazon for another week and I might die if I don’t get them by tomorrow …. Will decide between them and the Klipsch ANC before returning.
I feel your sense of impatience. I ordered directly from M&D because Amazon had them back ordered on Friday…(my how quickly things change) and they’ve been assigned a tracking number but that’s as far as they’ve gotten. Good luck

I will say I’m spoiled at the moment anyway (understatement I know) with the Devialet, but I’m really looking forward to comparing them.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #36,536 of 38,794

erockg

500+ Head-Fier
I know my pick, but looking forward to your thoughts.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #36,537 of 38,794

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
I feel your sense of impatience. I ordered directly from M&D because Amazon had them back ordered on Friday…(my how quickly things change) and they’ve been assigned a tracking number but that’s as far as they’ve gotten. Good luck

I will say I’m spoiled at the moment anyway (understatement I know) with the Devialet, but I’m dying to compare them.
If you are on the east coast, ordering from M&D is like an 8 to 10 day process. Simply unacceptable.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #36,538 of 38,794

scubaphish

100+ Head-Fier
If you are on the east coast, ordering from M&D is like an 8 to 10 day process. Simply unacceptable.
holy moly...that's nuts. thanks for the insight. Maybe I can still cancel it and order from Amazon...even that says Monday delivery if I buy today. Oh well...patience, virtue, all that jazz (he tells himself)

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #36,539 of 38,794

clerkpalmer

Headphoneus Supremus
holy moly...that's nuts. thanks for the insight. Maybe I can still cancel it and order from Amazon...even that says Monday delivery if I buy today. Oh well...patience, virtue, all that jazz (he tells himself)
Probably not. I tried once before and they said once processed orders cant cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread